Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets lose 5-3 to Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Stupid Oilers. They're just jealous that they can't their team of "elite goal scorers" to function as a team and win hockey games.

The fan base deserves to have their team stuck at the bottom.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I'd just like to say that I lived in Edmonton for 3 years and absolutely loved it.

I was an Oilers fan at the time so that probably helped but I never took any flack for being a Winnipegger. I'd live there again any day. The river valley is beautiful and found navigating the city to be pretty easy. People seemed very friendly.

Just for some balance.

02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Soble

OT: goodnight Leafs, lol

Old
02-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
however these things don't happen in a vacuum and it might have cost us 2 points last night. first off due to transition our new player Clitsome was traveling and our former player Johnny O was gone which forced Flood and Jones into the line up on the same night. Therefore our composition of defense would have been different and that might have impacted the game. Secondly I am sure a few guys might have felt the sting of the move emotionally. At the end of the day we were net sellers and that might have momentarily disappointed some and seeing a friend leave (or a dog die ) might have cost us some energy playing a few hours after it happened. its a game of inches and even if Jones wasn't on the point for the one critical error the game might have gone another way. One thing for sure we will never know but it might have cost us 2 points last night and maybe that is the margin of error at the end of the season. allot of if's, ands, and but's in the theory, however it is conceivable that the trade of a friend was a contributing factor last night in the loss. long term there is no way this should cost us any more than the 2 points last night if Clitsome lives up to his reputation.
I also agree with the other poster that it can't be used as an excuse. These guys are pros, and everyone should be aware that these things can happen. I don't want to make too many assumptions on Johnny Oduya's locker room presence, but he wasn't a captain or assistant captain, and had only joined the team 1.5 seasons ago.

In short, one guy moved; he was a third pairing defenceman. I would hope the distraction, if any, would be handled well enough by a hungry playoff-hunting team. A team with a great home record. They should have been able to beat a 29th place team of youngsters, who have a 9-20-2 record on the road, who also lost some players, and were playing arguably their second-best goaltender.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'd just like to say that I lived in Edmonton for 3 years and absolutely loved it.

I was an Oilers fan at the time so that probably helped but I never took any flack for being a Winnipegger. I'd live there again any day. The river valley is beautiful and found navigating the city to be pretty easy. People seemed very friendly.

Just for some balance.
Thank you.

Edmonton is a fantastic city. The only other place I could picture myself living is Calgary. The people in both cities are fantastic, and honestly, aside from the kids I went to high school with, I never got any ribbing over the team I cheered for, despite being the worst team in the past decade not called the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Even at the bar last night, wearing my Jets jersey after the loss, nobody said a single negative thing (with the exception of my girlfriend xD).

Old
02-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Well, its too bad I couldn't have had that same experience. As a result, I'm permanently soured when it comes to both edmonton and calgary. From my experience, both cities are right full of elitists who look down on me bases on where I'm from, and its disgusting some of the things that they say. As with most things in life, it not usually the places or things that ruin one's experience; its the people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Just for some balance.

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 02-28-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old
02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Well, its too bad I couldn't have had that same experience. As a result, I'm permanently soured when it comes to both edmonton and calgary. From my experience, both cities are right full of elitists who look down on me bases on where I'm from, and its disgusting some of the things that they say. As with most things in life, it not usually the places or things that ruin one's experience; its the people.
How can you possibly make such generalizations? Also gonna add the fact that what you're saying is entirely false. People in this city are extremely respectful of people from other parts of Canada. Hell, I'm from the center of the universe and I've never received ill comments based on that. We accept Newfies here as if they were born in the Royal Alex themselves.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm gonna assume these opinions of yours are based on high school experiences. People in high school are harsh no matter where you're from. They'll make fun of someone for wearing glasses, or being a fan of a ******, bottom-dwelling team from Georgia, or dating someone who isn't a cheerleader.

Nobody in this city is going to pretend that Edmonton is some kind of special place. However, as an Ontarian, I will say that the people in Alberta are far more laid back than anyone else in Canada (Maritimers and Northerners aside), and that they're welcoming people who will go out of their way to make newcomers feel at home.

Old
02-28-2012, 06:59 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Comments I've recieved so far:

"Haha Winnipeg sucks. And not just the team, but the city too. That is why everyone moves away to a real province like Alberta. It's where EVERYONE wants to to be. Maybe learn to get off welfare and lower your crime rates and you'll be desireable one day.....NOT."

"You know what is funny, so many cute little Jetties will jump ship in a year or two back onto the teams they REALLY want to cheer for, like the Oilers, because the Jets will suck forever and no one wants to stick with a loser team." - This one I always find funny coming from Oilers fans.

"Looks like the team should have moved to Southern Ontario, where they won't lose their team in 5 years, hahaha."

So if anyone wants to know why I'm so ****ing bitter about these *******s, I mean Edmontonians, this is why. The level of ignorance and arrogance from people out here drive me crazy. And to boot, this is EDMONTON we are talking about! (Hello, Canada's Murder Capital 2011) I hear this consistently here and I'm fed up and want out as soon as I can. I'm tired of living in a place that seems to be filled with child-like mentalities. They can all go to hell.
I don't understand why you let it bother you so much.

And, I'm not trying to play mod or anything, but what does this have to do with the game?

Old
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

You got to let the hate go, lest it becomes something that defines you, and you become part of the cycle. For your own sake.

Also you should let it go because it's become tiresome hearing the Alberta-hate. Seriously, man. You bring this up all the time.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Excuse me, but you have 0 knowledge on what I have experienced out here as a Manitoban. The vast majority of times that I tell Albertans where I'm from, there is some kind of back-handed compliment or insult, and the ever popular "you must be so happy to not live there anymore, eh? When you hear things like this over and over again, as someone who is VERY proud of where he comes from, it will likely take its toll. And I'm in my mid thirties, but I'm given the impression that far too many on this province have that highschool popularity contest, based on where you come from.

Like I've said before, the nicest Albertans I've ever lived with are those from Lethbridge. Compared to the rest of the province. Super respectful, honest and sincere. Loved it there; by far the most beautiful city in this province. Definately a city I'd move back t in a heartbeat.

Anyways, sorry for the ot comments, but I'm fed up with the insults and just needed to vent. I'm needing to learn how to deal with it in a more positive way. Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
How can you possibly make such generalizations? Also gonna add the fact that what you're saying is entirely false. People in this city are extremely respectful of people from other parts of Canada. Hell, I'm from the center of the universe and I've never received ill comments based on that. We accept Newfies here as if they were born in the Royal Alex themselves.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm gonna assume these opinions of yours are based on high school experiences. People in high school are harsh no matter where you're from. They'll make fun of someone for wearing glasses, or being a fan of a ******, bottom-dwelling team from Georgia, or dating someone who isn't a cheerleader.

Nobody in this city is going to pretend that Edmonton is some kind of special place. However, as an Ontarian, I will say that the people in Alberta are far more laid back than anyone else in Canada (Maritimers and Northerners aside), and that they're welcoming people who will go out of their way to make newcomers feel at home.

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 02-28-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old
02-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

This has gotten way too far off-topic. Closed.

Closed Thread