Notices

2012 Winnipeg Blue Bombers/CFL Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Jet Bomber that was a very good post. I'm not quoting it for length but...

I could have sworn Deon Beasley was hanging around the league before Mack's time, could be my bad here. Love Alex Suber/Marculles Bowman, could not remember if they was around before Mack's time. My bad there. Chris Garrett looked good late in the season and I am big fan of the way he runs and his emotion on the field. We also cut him out of camp. Kind of lucky, but again I am not completely sold on Garrett just yet. RB's are a tricky beast, you see alot of 1 year and out types. I am not going to check right now (since I have an exam in a couple hours) but I think I could put together a similiar list for most teams in the CFL. Quality import talent is essential and we have done a good job, but don't go making out like we are stacking up on ALL the quality American's other teams are finding guys as well.

Fritz and Mainor were kinda meh there. We rotated alot of DE's, not sold on them having legit star power there with Fritz/Mainor/Vega, hell even Kashama, a NI, saw quite a bit of time on that opposite side of Willis. We'll see what happens there. Turner is a nice piece, but an Imp in a spot we have used NI for a long long time. We also had Moton Hopkins, who is a very solid DT we let go for nothing.

I am curious about where we are picking up this other NI spot? Is it going to Muamba starting? 3 NI receivers? 4 NI linemen? Please educate me on that.

Brink and Elliot have proven nothing. I like Brink's upside, but that is about it. Our QB position is very very suspect, especially when looking around the league. Again we have a VERY injury prone QB who is average even when healthy, a backup that has good upside but has yet to show starting skill, and a 3rd stringer who is not only unproven, but has had season ending injuries in back to back seasons. Not feeling great with that depth, TBH.

As for the drafting, although I was critical, I did say we have to let things play out. But the undeniable fact remains that Mack went off the board and against expectations. I agree we are talking very early post draft here, but Muamba was sitting behind PIERRE-LUC LABBE on defense last year. I love Labbe as a special teamer, he is a great character guy and works his ass off. But let's be honest, he downright sucks on defense. He is not strong enough, fast enough, or smart enough to have any reps on defense. Even as a rookie Muamba should have been at very least pushing this guy for some field time. That's like your star prospect (don't say Scheifele since football prospects come much more ready than hockey ones) playing 4th line Tim Stapleton playing 1st line. Does it mean the prospect is a bust? No, but it is slightly concerning.

Etienne has youth on his side no doubt. But there was a reason he was ranked low, he had only 1 good season in college. He came out of nowhere for that one year, and it happened to be his draft year. We will see. My REAL problem with the pick was that we KNEW we were already getting a better receiving prospect in Poblah via to supplemental draft, we could have solidified other areas (ie OL).

As for Dunn, Greaves and Swiston, well I guess we just have to see. I know very little about Dunn or Swiston, so I'll take your word for it. As for Greaves, he looked fairly decent in his time last year, I will reserve judgement till I see him in a starting role this season. Pass blocking will be the place to really watch his footwork, since he is a converted d-line. It's possible one or more of these guys develops into a solid starting OL for the Bombers, but c'mon you don't drool thinking of a ratio breaking NI starting LT like a Josh Bourke? Mitchell, Muamba, Poblah would have been better, IMO.

Also, if you want an example of a NI coming in rookie season and making an impact I will point you straight towards Brendon LaBatte and 3rd Round pick Arjay Franklin (who is a currently a FA, that would be a nice pickup). Both stepped in to the Bombers rookie year and were very very solid. Not to mention Poblah would have been a ROY candidate as a receiver if not for injuries, IMO.

Again, I am critical because I expect the best from the Bombers. Mack has done a decent job recovering from the disaster that was left to him from that "alleged" wife beating jackass, but he has consistantly struggled with retaining talent and acquiring proven talent. We had the youngest team last year, and look to be young again, there just better be improvement.

Also, having to watch another 18+ games of Glen January makes me sick.
Lastly, Jet Bomber, I have watched every single second of Bomber action for the past 5 years, I keep track of all players in and out of the organization via spreadsheet, I live and die Bomber football in the summer and fall, much like Jets hockey in winter. I know that you know your Bombers as well but don't imply I am just a Jets guy please since I disagree that Mack has done an excellent job. He has assembled potential and frankly got lucky last season. When we are a top end team, I will say he has done a great job, for now, he has done an average job.

(Sorry about length)

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 02-16-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old
02-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 1291
Time to troll

Go riders!!! :p

Old
02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
s1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
I see you read my posts on Ourbombers.
Indeed! Thanks for the info Mike! Completely changed my mind about the whole thing. Can't believe his agent didn't come back to Mack to let him match. What a joke.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 50
All seems bad, but let's wait and see.

Don't doubt Joe Mack...he's the one who brought in guys like Carr in the first place. There's always an abundance of talent, you just have to know where to look

Things take time, but he's the best GM we've had in what feels like eons.

Things take time. Much like the Jets growth, the Bombers will be a painful one, but it will happen.

Old
02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1g View Post
Indeed! Thanks for the info Mike! Completely changed my mind about the whole thing. Can't believe his agent didn't come back to Mack to let him match. What a joke.
Blame Tillman for taking advantage of the situation. It's a slick move for Mr. Beltloops to pull off.

Old
02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 261
big db looks good on TSN

Old
02-16-2012, 07:01 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 665
i'm ok with what we pay buck and elliott and brink.

its that the WBB haven't done anything in free agency while other teams stack up...for example ray and burris both in the East now, and what do we do? just lose players to FA.

Quote:
... you guys do know that Buck Pierce is the lowest paid starting QB in the league right?

We didn't tie up a lot of money in the QB position at all.

I should just stay out of this thread, no good can come from it.

Old
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Dallas Stars
Rookie User

Quote:
... you guys do know that Buck Pierce is the lowest paid starting QB in the league right?

We didn't tie up a lot of money in the QB position at all.

I should just stay out of this thread, no good can come from it.
Do you know where I can get bomber player salary information? For some reason I thought the club didn't release this information.

Old
02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1g View Post
That's true and not just speculation?

Old
02-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Active Puck
STREAMERS!

Maybe it's just me, and it probably is, but it seemed like Mack's press conference today was Much Ado About Nothing. "We had a few signings, lost about 3 players to FA, and we're upset at some tweets by our players. Oh yeah, we're still doing fine yada yada yada. Thanks for coming!"

Or I'm just a bitter SOB for some reason tonight.

Dear TNSE,

Please do not run your organization like the WBB. Thank you.

Sincerely,

AP

Old
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
I have little hope for next season, but at least we'll have somewhere nice to watch them play.

The problem once again is the QB. I like Buck, but the offense struggled with him at the helm. He's not at an age or point in career where he is going to show much improvement, we need to look beyond him.

A great defense and lackluster offense does not win the Grey Cup, and the evidence is fresh in our minds.
Well, that's one of the reason why they signed their two backups. Promising up-and-comers who can take over for Buck permanently either this year or next.

Old
02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
I see you read my posts on Ourbombers.
Are you 17to85?

Edit: OK I see from the above comments your Mike

Last edited by blueandgoldguy: 02-16-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: add
Old
02-16-2012, 09:52 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I am super excited to watch January do his patented spin o-rama while touching nobody move while Pierce gets killed this upcoming season, now that we have no left guard to even help cover for his incompetence. Our o-line was bad last year and with Douglas and LaBatte gone, how exactly is it going to get better? Muamba better be ready to start since we now need another NI starting on defense. Oh yah, and the most unique talent in the CFL left as well (although I am less concerned about this, the Bombers ALWAYS find import receivers for some reason).

Mack really really really sucks at free agency. Like crazy bad.
They signed most of their key players. Labatte wanted to go back to Sasky and they overpaid big time for a guard.........like 190,000 - 200,000 per season. That's tackle money. Time to see what our young NIs linemen can do this upcoming season. And there actually wasn't any noticeable drop-off in our O-line when Labatte was out of the lineup last season. And Carr? Well Mack had an agreement with him in principle and then the **** turns around and signs with Edmonton for $5,000 more per season.

Mack has to look at the big picture. Can't overpay and sacrifice depth in other areas ie. backups. He has proven in the past he can bring in good import talent at receiver. No reason to believe he can't do it again.

As for the NI issue, with Brown's impending retirement expect to see Muamba and Luc-Labbe to cover middle linebacker duties in 2012.

Oh, and free agency just started. Mack might sign a player or two yet.

Old
02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Schedule is out.
http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2012/time_zone/0
We start the season on a four game road trip starting in BC (no surprise there).

Old
02-17-2012, 11:27 PM
s1g

Well, with Carr gone, what are the chances that Kito Poblah steps up this year to fill his place? Haven't seen much of this kid, but from the sounds of things, he's very talented.

Also, I can't wait to see the new Bombers' jerseys. I'll probably pick up a home jersey. Won't pick up the road jersey, only because I'm not a fan of gold. (Damn.....just realized I've spent over $700 on Jets/Bomber hats/jerseys this year.)

Old
02-19-2012, 11:56 AM
bromine

RIP Cal.

Old
02-19-2012, 12:14 PM
sully1410

As long as we still have number 82 we'll be good!

Old
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
s1g

Well, looks like the starting RB position is Chris Garrett's to lose, since the Bombers released Fred Reid yesterday. Not surprised at all, based on how much he was making. Good luck Fast Freddie.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Crazed Fan

Good to see that the Bombers dont want to spend ANY money....
LaBatte, Carr, Reid.... but at least we resigned our glass quarterback.

The Bombers average 29000 fans a game, make the Grey Cup finals, and let the stars walk away for nothing??
I hope they know what theyre doing. Right now, i dont understand this strategy.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:52 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Reid was finished, Labatte wanted to leave and Carr apparently did too for only 5k more a year. Hopefully this will be the season Brink or Elliott emerge as the number (and not because of injury).

Old
02-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Reid was finished, Labatte wanted to leave and Carr apparently did too for only 5k more a year. Hopefully this will be the season Brink or Elliott emerge as the number (and not because of injury).
Even though I am not a bomber fan. I have to say I was very impressed with Garrett!!! Man that little bugger can run and Brink was very very decent....I honestly thought they would not resign Buck. Regardless your running game and QBs will be great this year.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:19 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

lol @ the new stadium

what a way to drop the ball

Old
02-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Minor good news, they brought back their actually good import tackle in Andre Douglas. LT is the most important spot on the OL and Douglas does a good job there.

Also brought DT Andre Caroll back, after releasing him in camp last year. Meh, seems unnecessary, but Garrett was cut out of camp as well.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=389138

Old
03-22-2012, 06:25 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
So we just traded our mayor...

http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=391103

Old
03-22-2012, 06:32 PM
sixty minute hockey

So whenever someone wants to go we'll let them. What BS and all we get for one of the best D-linemen in the league is draft picks?
Well That's just great!

Closed Thread