HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz - Part 2

Old
02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I don't know what game you guys are watching. Gilberts playing physical, and just had a nice rush. I think this trade is going to be a big win for Minny.
err, wawazat? yeah i saw that nice rush, but on the flip side, were you watching that last play (4 on 4)? where the hell was Gilbert going there? someone should tell him that the defensive zone is the one with the goalie that is wearing the same coloured jersey that he is.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:11 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
And even though he has looked terrible tonight, he actually has looked much better this year than he has the past 2 years (just fyi).
Don't taunt the poor Wild fans. Telling them this is the best he's ever been doesn't make the trade better.

A Foster-Gilbert combo on the PP is pretty sad though... I'd only wish that on a true enemy like Calgary.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Tambo better get a puck moving d-man in the summer.

Smid Schultz
Petry Sutton
Potter Teubert (?)

Is what our blueline next year would look like if/when Whitney gets hurt

He already has too many PMD. That was why he felt the need to move Gilbert for a more stay-at-home type. At least that's what we were told.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Baggers

Quote:
A d-man is not going to step into a new situation like that and just produce like he hasn't skipped a beat. It will take a while for him to adjust.
This.

A forward can usually step in on a new team and not miss a beat, but a defender generally needs time to adapt to his team/defence partner's tendencies re: things like defensive zone coverage.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:14 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I gotta admire the tenacity of NHL GM's.. even though Foster has been on like 14 different rosters in the last 2 seasons, there always seems to be some team willing to try and convince themselves he's an NHL player.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
voxel

Quote:
err, wawazat? yeah i saw that nice rush, but on the flip side, were you watching that last play (4 on 4)? where the hell was Gilbert going there? someone should tell him that the defensive zone is the one with the goalie that is wearing the same coloured jersey that he is.
What was the whole team doing (Gilbert, Clutterbuck, Falk, ???) Almost a end zone football rush with all the players lined up like that. Clutterbuck gave up the puck which led to basically a two on zero but Carter decided to make it a penalty shot.

The entire team is out of sync.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
A d-man is not going to step into a new situation like that and just produce like he hasn't skipped a beat. It will take a while for him to adjust.
yeah, even though i'm laughing my a** off at this game and the comments in this thread, even i have to admit he's probably a little nervous (new team, new system, family in the stands, etc).

and a positive (i guess) is that he is "only" -1 in a blowout.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Are you talking about the one where he was waiting for clutterbuck to give him the puck and head up the ice and clutterbuck turned it over. Hard to fault Gilbert for Clutterbucks ridiculous play. How he doesn't pass that puck I dunno. Gilbert jumped up slightly to give Clutterbuck an option, the d man at fault on that play would be Faulk for jumping up as well when Clutterbuck was coming up Gilberts side.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I gotta admire the tenacity of NHL GM's.. even though Foster has been on like 14 different rosters in the last 2 seasons, there always seems to be some team willing to try and convince themselves he's an NHL player.
so he should be playing for Toronto next year then? hehe

ok i gotta go out for a while, cant watch the rest of this gong show (too bad, it was quite entertaining)..have fun everyone, should be fun to read this thread when i get home.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Gdt tomorrows comments on Schultz He is a better skater than I thought , he does the simple plays well, I can see the defensive side they were talking about, nice coverage there by Schultz, nice blocked shot Smid style............

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
waffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

OMG hahahahahha!! I just spit scoal spit on my keyboard...HAAAA!!

this thread is PRICELESS.. didn`t minnie beat us like a thousand strait in their barn... and I look up on this spontaneous Gilbert GDT.. and they have he and Foster on the PP...

UNBELIEVABLE

waffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
You forgot Reinhert/Dumba/Murray.
That is why Schultz is so valuable, he can be a rock for any of these kids or Petry. I really don't believe that Gilbert could've. Smid and Schultz should really make the kids comfortable and have their backs when they use their skill.

02-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Thank science Gilbert didn't get a point or a plus or anything. Would have made HF Oil unbearable for a few days.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Barou View Post
Any Gilbert sympathizers watching the Wild game? He's off to a roaring start.

Petry is MUCH better than Gilbert, you've got blinders on Replacement.
I like Petry, always have, even when the whole board was castigating him last year, or last month, or, well you should get the point.

Petry has had a brief run where he's looked better. He's got good potential. But I think its premature to say how it all unfolds.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Minny has been awful since around Christmas. With Schultz in the lineup. Not sure whats so surprising about tonight.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:53 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
Anyone else concerned About Schultz taking # 15

15 Nick Schultz, Joffrey Lupul, Brad Isbister, Marty Reasoner, Dan Lacouture, Chad Kilger, Drake Berehowsky, Joe Hulbig, Fredrik Olausson, Scott Thornton, Kelly Buchberger, David Roberts, Kent Nilsson, Steven Rice, Dan Currie, Greg Hawgood, Kevin Todd, David Haas, Tomas Srsen, Trevor Sim, Miroslav Frycer, Geoff Courtnall, Jeff Brubaker, Mike Moller, Pat Conacher, Steve Graves, Curt Brackenbury, Wayne Bianchin, Alex Tidey

Here is the list #15 hasn't been a very good Number for The Oilers

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
Thank science Gilbert didn't get a point or a plus or anything. Would have made HF Oil unbearable for a few days.
and that he didnt get traded to a team like Detroit or Boston where he would be playing 2nd PP minutes on a stacked team

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

So just out of curiosity I review the Minnesota game, Gilbert on the ice for only one GA in a 4-0 loss and people making out like he was responsible for the loss or something.

On the one GA Gilbert properly sets up behind the net as an outlet for the pass that never comes from his clueless defence partner, who freezes, directs the puck the wrong way, turns it over, and its a goal before Gilbert can cover in front of the net.

That was an easy transition play that was blown by Gilberts defence partner.

Lets at least attibute blame where it belongs.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I cant believe the Wild traded for Gilbert AND Foster.

They must be in tank mode.
Mike Russo (Wild writer) said the Wild have won 7 games since a point in December (dont know exact date, but regardless thats pretty bad considering they were on a massive tear earlier)

And in terms of Gilbert. Its his first game. He had like 1 practice. Unfair to judge now. And its the same tomorrow. But i expect people to jump all over Schultz if he screws up

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Mike Russo (Wild writer) said the Wild have won 7 games since a point in December (dont know exact date, but regardless thats pretty bad considering they were on a massive tear earlier)

And in terms of Gilbert. Its his first game. He had like 1 practice. Unfair to judge now. And its the same tomorrow. But i expect people to jump all over Schultz if he screws up
The Wild were in absolute free fall and pretty much the worst team in the league since christmas. With Nick Schultz vaunted leadership and shutdown play apparently not stemming that tide.
Schultz has had a really questionable year. I suspect its why he was on the block.

Maybe a change of scenery does him good. Can only hope.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:37 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The Wild were in absolute free fall and pretty much the worst team in the league since christmas. With Nick Schultz vaunted leadership and shutdown play apparently not stemming that tide.
Schultz has had a really questionable year. I suspect its why he was on the block.

Maybe a change of scenery does him good. Can only hope.
To be fair. He is only 1 guy. He cant play 60 mins.

The team is bad b/c once again b/c they just arent that good. They also got tricked by SJ. A player that plays with Thornton will have bloated stats. Devin Setoguchi is a freakin 26 point player. It happened with Cheechoo and its happening with Seto

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
So just out of curiosity I review the Minnesota game, Gilbert on the ice for only one GA in a 4-0 loss and people making out like he was responsible for the loss or something.

On the one GA Gilbert properly sets up behind the net as an outlet for the pass that never comes from his clueless defence partner, who freezes, directs the puck the wrong way, turns it over, and its a goal before Gilbert can cover in front of the net.

edit

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

I agree, no one should be getting on a guy in his first game or first few games, while adjusting to a new team and system.

Can only hope some people on here give Schultz the same consideration.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I agree, no one should be getting on a guy in his first game or first few games, while adjusting to a new team and system.

I doubt it TBH. This is why I haven't said boo about Gilbert's play in Minny, it takes time to get used to a new team, system, and players. Not to mention moving, etc. Not an easy proposition.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post

No kidding. I sense a "tone" regarding Schultz already growing with some around here, and he hasn't even played a game.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote