HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Is this a bad time to point out that Richards will be making just over $100K per game next season?

(while his cap hit is $5.75 mil, he's actually going to collect $8.4 mil next season)
Are you worried about AEG's pocket book?

Old
02-28-2012, 08:51 PM
drbob

Richards will be fine:

does everyone forget he was by far our best offensive player before his concussion?

and our defensive oriented system doesn't allow him or Kopi or anyone to get too aggressive in the attacking or neutral zone,

I will wager that Richards will start scoring assists and a few goals in the remaining games due to his health improving and to Carter joining him,

I just hope he gets some help from the left wing, whether it remains King or if it's someone else.

in that NHL 36 program, I was impressed with him, on the ice, and off, as he took on that much bigger guy,

Richards does need to do a lot better next season though,

but let's not attack him,

support him and the other Kings, who are playing hard most of the time...

Old
02-28-2012, 09:01 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Are you worried about AEG's pocket book?
Oh yeah - I'm Uncle Phil's favorite nephew

Just remember that number next time you have to take out a 3rd mortgage on your house to buy a beer at the game

Old
02-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Oh yeah - I'm Uncle Phil's favorite nephew

Just remember that number next time you have to take out a 3rd mortgage on your house to buy a beer at the game
Good thing I dont drink.

9 goals in three games with only 2 against. The curse of jack gone?

Old
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Not sure why anyone pays attention to Johnny Utah after he was exposed earlier
Come on man. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Everyone who has been here long enough has said dumb things, me and you for sure included.

I defended the Cloutier trade and signing. You said you would rather have Smyth than Gaborik.

I don't agree with the style of hockey Johnny likes, but he is a quality poster.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Ok great, so you made your point buddy. The past is the past. Today is today. I admitted I was shocked, then supportive and then over it. I never really saw Richards play and after about 20 games I was a little skeptical. Seeing Simmonds start to heat up didn't help either.

My stance is the same today it was yesterday.
Do you REALLY think Simmonds is going to be a better player than Richards? Sorry, but you're insane. Just look at how Simmonds skates, no way he'll ever be as good as Richards, no way.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Do you REALLY think Simmonds is going to be a better player than Richards? Sorry, but you're insane. Just look at how Simmonds skates, no way he'll ever be as good as Richards, no way.
Hmm skating. Jeff Skinner must be like God in your eyes :p

Old
02-29-2012, 12:18 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
I think they're comparable, and that's why I don't think the trade was justifiable. Simmonds should've been a deal breaker IMO.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Ollie Weeks

Man, there's a WAR going on and here I've been away at work.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:14 AM
MsWoof

Put Simmonds and Schenn in LA and you have 2 guys scoring no goals. Simmonds also would be getting no pp time. Put Richards back in Philly and he scores at his normal pace and gives them defence, something their forwards don't understand the meaning of.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Boba Fettuccine
Pastafarian

vCash: 69
Quote:
Is this a bad time to point out that Richards will be making just over $100K per game next season?

(while his cap hit is $5.75 mil, he's actually going to collect $8.4 mil next season)
It's a good time to point out that your act is really getting old.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Put Simmonds and Schenn in LA and you have 2 guys scoring no goals. Simmonds also would be getting no pp time. Put Richards back in Philly and he scores at his normal pace and gives them defence, something their forwards don't understand the meaning of.
Exactly.. every person on the team is having a down year and Richards included. I'm as disappointed as the next person with Richards performance but singling out on player is pretty stupid when the whole team isn't performing well. And to assume Simmonds, who a year earlier had a disappointing season, would be playing like he is in Philly is presumptive to say the least. As far as Schenn goes, he has slowed down over the past few weeks it appears.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Not sure why anyone pays attention to Johnny Utah after he was exposed earlier
Why? Because I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and then was disappointed?

Great, everyone points out that I was excited at the idea of Mike Richards back in July, but now seeing him for almost a full year, I'm not sold.

I still miss Simmonds and if we miss the playoffs, I will miss the two young assets we gave up and believe that we would be better off missing the playoffs with Wayne/Brayden than Mike.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

Old
02-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
why? That part is a fact - I don't think Lombardi, Leiweke & co are happy paying $8+mio for what was usual Stoll production.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I think they're comparable, and that's why I don't think the trade was justifiable. Simmonds should've been a deal breaker IMO.
I basically agree with this. Though I feel many people who are comparing them are comparing them for all the wrong reasons.

Wayne Simmonds will never be able to do what Mike Richards does. Richards is faster, has a better open ice shot and has a far superior in his playmaking ability. He does have the bigger upside as far as points go.

But on the flip side Mike Richards will never be able to do what Wayne Simmonds does. This seems to go under appreciated but Simmonds is now one of the most dominant NHL players in the crease. His combination of hand eye coordination, agility, and strength in tight spaces makes him great at picking up rebounds, deflecting shots, commanding extra attention from defensemen, and incredibly strong with the puck along the boards. Not a true top line talent but the perfect compliment to the top line skill players. Though not identical his value would be like Burrows, Hartnell, Downie, etc. I could also point out the last season Richards scored 80 points he played with Mike Knuble who had the same job as Simmonds. Even Carter's 84 point season came playing with Hartnell.

Had the Kings kept Simmonds but gotten Richards they actually would probably be great linemates. Though some like to assume Simmonds would not produce on the Kings I think he would as he has produced on every Flyers line. Simmonds plays with everyone from Jagr and Giroux to Rinaldo and Shelley and still scores simply because all he needs to be productive is his linemates to throw pucks at the net.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Nex06

Quote:
How come there wasn't a positive thread when Richards was a PPG and the Kings best player before being concussed?
Come on, everyone was praising him. As Hatter said: MVP - AINEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
How many of you people watched Richards closely throughout his NHL career? Richards hasn't been the same player since he signed a deal giving him a lifetime of financial security. His legacy ended in Philadelphia as one of the WORST captains they ever had, in terms of being an actual "captain". He showed up to Flyers training camp a few days before it started in 2010-11, leaving his coach, GM and the veterans on the team completely puzzled. Richards is the main reason there was a division in the Flyers room and was called out for the way he acted off the ice, his poor fitness levels and his disgraceful handling of the media. Say what you want, but when Mike Richards was asked the other day about Carter being his teammate again and about the media attention he wasted no time "taking shots" at the Philly media. If that doesn't prove that this kid just hasn't moved on or grew up a bit, I don't know what does. Hockey fan to hockey fan, the proof is in the pudding. There's a reason a large majority of Flyers fans weren't upset in the least to see Richards and Carter traded...and that's unheard of when a team trades their captain and leading goal scorers in their PRIME. I'll just say this...it's no coincidence that the Kings are struggling and there was even TALK about Dustin Brown being traded so Richards could be the next captain.
I just can't take this seriously. How much of your post can you back with credible sources?

Problem that Richards has at the moment is the same as Kopitar's. They lack confidence and for that we can thank their results this season. No player in the league has that kind of immunity. Once the results start going their way Kopitar, Richards, Doughty etc. will be producing tons of points.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:15 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
if you're serious, i know now why people think LA fans don't know hockey.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I have seen quite a few Richards defensive blunders this year that I never saw from Simmonds.
WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
O boy Johnny

6-23-2011 Post number 396 Richards tread thread.

Johnny Utah:
I like how Lombardi refers to Richards as a "culture changer" like Kyle Clifford. Shows how much Clifford has meant to LA.

For me, a dude who loves gritty hockey...I am super stoked that we have guys like Brown, Richards, Clifford, Westgarth, Mitchell, Greene and possibly Clune on our team. It will not be fun to play LA next year...Simmonds was tough, but Richards can hit like a freight train. Other teams hated playing against Brown because of how he hits, now they have to worry about Richards...
end Quote...

Never type anything you don't want to come back and huant you.
I have more coming...

6-23-2011 Post number 303

Johnny Utah:
A lot of pressure on Schenn now, I loved Simmonds, he is a 15-20 goal scoring 2nd or 3rd liner, but to replace Richards, you need to be a top 10-15 NHL caliber player who can score, hit, fight and produce 60-80 points and produce in big games in the show....Schenn now has to prove he can come close to that, if he does then the Flyers win because they got that and Simmonds and a 2nd, if he can't, then it's gonna be rough for Flyers fans...
end Quote....

There is more...

Post * 310 is a Richards video highliting his career....posted by Johnny Utah.

Post number 312

Johnny Utah:

A lot of top NHL teams over the past decade or so have shown that it takes 2 top centerman to win the Cup....Sakic/Forsberg, Datysuk/Zetterberg, Crosby/Malkin, Lecavlier/Richards...etc....Hell, even the Stanley Cup final Canucks had Sedin/Kesler as the top 2 centerman, Boston would've had 3 with Savard, Kreji, Bergeron but Savard has been hurt....

Lombardi has mentioned this before in interviews....We all knew something like this would happen. I don't know if Brad Richards at his age and salary demands was what DL wanted.
end Quote....

There is more....

Overall I would say Johnny, you were not broken up about losing simme; till he put points in Philly, which everyone knew he would.
Classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I don't agree with the style of hockey Johnny likes, but he is a quality poster.
Classic.

This whole thread is just pure win. Excuse me now, I need to keep alive the other one, Kopitar thread.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I basically agree with this. Though I feel many people who are comparing them are comparing them for all the wrong reasons.

Wayne Simmonds will never be able to do what Mike Richards does. Richards is faster, has a better open ice shot and has a far superior in his playmaking ability. He does have the bigger upside as far as points go.

But on the flip side Mike Richards will never be able to do what Wayne Simmonds does. This seems to go under appreciated but Simmonds is now one of the most dominant NHL players in the crease. His combination of hand eye coordination, agility, and strength in tight spaces makes him great at picking up rebounds, deflecting shots, commanding extra attention from defensemen, and incredibly strong with the puck along the boards. Not a true top line talent but the perfect compliment to the top line skill players. Though not identical his value would be like Burrows, Hartnell, Downie, etc. I could also point out the last season Richards scored 80 points he played with Mike Knuble who had the same job as Simmonds. Even Carter's 84 point season came playing with Hartnell.

Had the Kings kept Simmonds but gotten Richards they actually would probably be great linemates. Though some like to assume Simmonds would not produce on the Kings I think he would as he has produced on every Flyers line. Simmonds plays with everyone from Jagr and Giroux to Rinaldo and Shelley and still scores simply because all he needs to be productive is his linemates to throw pucks at the net.
Simmonds was one of our best offensive forwards when he was here. Despite that, Terry Murray would not give him PP time, and that's why he didn't put up better stats when he was here.

Total Even Strength Points Scored during the 09-10 and 10-11 Seasons:
Kopitar 96
Brown 81
Simmonds 69
Williams 66
Smyth 62
Stoll 53
Doughty 53
Handzus 49

*Mike Richards only scored 68 even strength points during the 09-10 & 10-11 seasons while getting more ice time than Simmonds.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
I never said the trade was our death blow. I liked the trade and still like it. I don't think Simmonds would be as good if he were still here, just like with Moulson and Purcell they have moved on to a quality system and are thriving.

Certainly part of Richards problem is playing in a Dean Lombardi system with Dean Lombardi quality wingers.

But with that being said, he needs to score more. I don't see why it's ridiculous to criticize our 3rd highest paid player with as many accomplishments as he has had in the past at both the NHL and Intl level. No one criticizes Penner or Stoll because most of us realize how awful they were at the end of last season and saw this coming with them. It's disappointing but not shocking Penner and Stoll have their point totals. It's shocking to see MR at a 45 point pace.

I think Big Brown said it best when he said "I thought we were getting a better player"

I think and hope MR can get back to that level, but he has been a shell of his former self for much of this season.
Not to nitpick here but these teams are 10th and 14th in their conference. Hardly "quality systems".

Old
02-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
Not to nitpick here but these teams are 10th and 14th in their conference. Hardly "quality systems".
Forget their ranking, the quality of those teams should have been obvious to anyone who watches more than 82 NHL games per season.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Cassy87

Quote:
Simmonds was one of our best offensive forwards when he was here. Despite that, Terry Murray would not give him PP time, and that's why he didn't put up better stats when he was here.

Total Even Strength Points Scored during the 09-10 and 10-11 Seasons:
Kopitar 96
Brown 81
Simmonds 69
Williams 66
Smyth 62
Stoll 53
Doughty 53
Handzus 49

*Mike Richards only scored 68 even strength points during the 09-10 & 10-11 seasons while getting more ice time than Simmonds.
This is the best post in the thread, as well as the most factual.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Come on man. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Everyone who has been here long enough has said dumb things, me and you for sure included.

I defended the Cloutier trade and signing. You said you would rather have Smyth than Gaborik.

Exactly, thanks buddy.

I am as passionate as a Kings fan as you can get, been following them for most of my life, haven't missed a game in years, go to as many as I can, talk to players when I see them out....I love this sport and I love my team. My neighbor was the President of the forum, they mentioned his passing on the air a few games ago, he used to give me his tickets after the Gretzky trade when no one wanted to go to the Forum. But I did, and I would wait by the tunnel after for autographs.

That gives me the right to come on here and post my thoughts and opinion and if I change my mind because I am disappointed or let down from a player, that's my right. I consider myself a knowledgeable hockey fan, especially with tougher players. I have a photogenic memory for those type of guys.

Everyone was excited about Richards, but I was still bummed about Simmonds and now, after seeing what Richards can do, or not do, I really miss Simmonds. I can voice that opinion. So what, someone proved that I was excited 6 months ago and now let down? Well, I didn't do that, Richards play did that to me.

I think a lot of people will be changing there tune on Richards if the Kings miss the playoffs and we end up watching Simmonds and Schenn in the playoffs plus the 2nd rounder we don't have come draft day.

I just don't understand how DL makes this trade considering 6 non playoff years and 2 first round exits.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

This bores me.

I wish Simmonds were here right now with 25 points so people could be complaining about how we never go after players like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

Closed Thread