Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-29-2012, 12:13 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Cullen has a firm no trade clause and I dont know if anything could be used to get him to waive it. He's here because he wants to be here in Minnesota, with his family and friends.

And I still would like to know if Koivu has a no movement clause of some sort.

And as for my Grandlund stuff, well, I'm really hoping that's just me being paranoid, but that's what my gut tells me is possible as a worst case scenario.
Tell him he's going to be sent to the minors if he doesn't waive it LOL.

Koivu does but players waive their NTC all the time.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
I'd like to see what a team with both Granlund and Koivu can do first.

Yes...NTC
Well then that makes it a risk to even try to get a deal done. We risk alienating him, and we also risk alienating fans when the knowledge that we're trying to move Koivu goes public. And then when Koivu says know we risk embarrassment.

So I dont see us being able to move Koivu unless our situation starts to mirror Columbus' situation. And I dont think GMCF is going to allow that.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:16 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
I think Backstrom's name should be brought up. Neither goalies are doing their jobs right now. Free up some cash? Although he does great during contract years.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Tell him he's going to be sent to the minors if he doesn't waive it LOL.

Koivu does but players waive their NTC all the time.
So we put Cullen on Waivers to try to get him down there and then he gets snatched up by the Jackets for free. That's what I see happening in that scenario.

I think the best thing we could do with Cullen is move him to third line wing. Tell him to be a grinder and stop being a scorer.

As for Koivu...I just dont see that happening unless he starts to get disgruntled down the line.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
I think Backstrom's name should be brought up. Neither goalies are doing their jobs right now. Free up some cash? Although he does great during contract years.
If that's the case, we should keep him next year since he'll be playing for his next payday. If we're doing good by the deadline with a real playoff run in sight (and I mean a REAL playoff run, not a 6-8 seed destined to be knocked out in one round), we keep him and then see if we can trade his negotiating rights after the season for a 3rd or something. If not, we ask him to waive and we send him to a contender as an expensive rental.

If he sucks next year for some reason tho...

Old
02-29-2012, 12:26 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
So we put Cullen on Waivers to try to get him down there and then he gets snatched up by the Jackets for free. That's what I see happening in that scenario.
I don't actually. Someone will trade for Cullen and Cullen will accept it. It's his last year on the contract and trading him would help the organization. Kind of like Zids.

Quote:
As for Koivu...I just dont see that happening unless he starts to get disgruntled down the line.
Problem is, we got to move beyond Koivu. He's not above the team. Cut his ice time down and keep him on the 2nd/3rd line.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
I don't actually. Someone will trade for Cullen and Cullen will accept it. It's his last year on the contract and trading him would help the organization. Kind of like Zids.

Problem is, we got to move beyond Koivu. He's not above the team. Cut his ice time down and keep him on the 2nd/3rd line.
Believe it or not I see forcing him into a 2nd line role as a way to start making him disgruntled for a trade. I'm one of those people who thinks Yeo should have just left the HBJ line alone when Koivu came back from his shoulder injury.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:34 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Believe it or not I see forcing him into a 2nd line role as a way to start making him disgruntled for a trade. I'm one of those people who thinks Yeo should have just left the HBJ line alone when Koivu came back from his shoulder injury.
Too bad. I just think fans and organization should stop elevating him to elite status.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:35 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

For the billionth time, Granlund will take that top spot. Koivu will go to the 2nd. If you "try" to tick him off so he demands a trade, other players around the league will notice. You see what's happening to Nash right now? PR disaster.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Too bad. I just think fans and organization should stop elevating him to elite status.
Oh but he is elite. He's an elite 2nd line center. It's he who needs to stop thinking he is so important that he HAS to be on the first line.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:37 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Oh but he is elite. He's an elite 2nd line center. It's he who needs to stop thinking he is so important that he HAS to be on the first line.
We don't know if he's an elite 2nd line center.

And I agree with that second statement.

Quote:
For the billionth time, Granlund will take that top spot. Koivu will go to the 2nd. If you "try" to tick him off so he demands a trade, other players around the league will notice. You see what's happening to Nash right now? PR disaster.
I'm wondering if Granlund won't switch to wing, which might an issue.

And if Koivu gets mad at being demoted, what do you do?

Old
02-29-2012, 12:38 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
He's not in charge of putting himself there. He's not the coach. Read Fletcher's comments from yesterday. He views Koivu as extremely important. Koivu is not making these decisions.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:39 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
He's not in charge of putting himself there. He's not the coach. Read Fletcher's comments from yesterday. He views Koivu as extremely important. Koivu is not making these decisions.
I got to wonder if only because the fans think he is.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:39 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

That said, I've met the quota for the week on discussing that particular topic. We're all gonna agree to disagree.

Quote:
I got to wonder if only because the fans think he is.
Then we're going to have to change the entire front office again.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I dunno, I'm just gonna go ahead and say insert my usual crap about the Wild treating Koivu with kid gloves for the sake of Granlund here and call it an argument.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:41 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
That said, I've met the quota for the week on discussing that particular topic. We're all gonna agree to disagree.
We're not done...oh wait. OTH. Going quiet.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:44 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

But I would just like to say for the record, I don't for a second believe that Koivu is God. He's not above the others. He's made plenty of mistakes and is far from perfect. Although it may sound like it, I'm not president of his fan club. He's ticked me off plenty of times, and honestly, needs to be shut down the rest of the year.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
But I would just like to say for the record, I don't for a second believe that Koivu is God. He's not above the others. He's made plenty of mistakes and is far from perfect. Although it may sound like it, I'm not president of his fan club. He's ticked me off plenty of times, and honestly, needs to be shut down the rest of the year.
On that last part I wholeheartedly agree. Get surgery if at all warranted and start healing for next October.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

I find it funny so many here don't like the Schultz trade, and visit the Oilers forum, and they hate the trade as well. So many here don't care for this Gilbert kid, and the Oilers fans hate to see him go, and Schultz taking his place.

Obviously somebody here one way or the other is wrong, or maybe it will just be a wash and both teams did alright. Me? I never was very impressed with Schultz. He was ok, but nothing to get too attached to, if we could get something in return. His place has seemed to decline as of late also, which makes the trade for me at least a good thing.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Really only 2 or 3 posters didn't like the trade from a Wild standpoint. They're just very vocal.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I'm still neutral on the Schultz trade. I think we could have done better, but as I've mentioned, I'm really low on Gilbert. He has quite a few years left on his contract to prove me wrong, so hopefully once he's acclimated we'll look back at this as a great trade.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think it comes down to value on the PP vs value on the PK. If Gilbert can turn around the PP (he looked a lot better there than most on the point), then it would be worth the trade.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:18 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think it comes down to value on the PP vs value on the PK. If Gilbert can turn around the PP (he looked a lot better there than most on the point), then it would be worth the trade.
I mentioned in the GDT last night:

Our 2nd powerplay unit looked like a bad NHL unit last night. That's such a ridiculous improvement, I don't even know how to describe it. I've been used to "2 minute power play" meaning "1 minute of power play and 1 minute of screaming at the guys who couldn't break into the offensive zone if the other team only had two guys on the ice."

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

I put a 4, Fletch did well. I still have some reservations on some of the moves but overall we build more towards the future and got away the cancer so thats goodie

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote