HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tank on Habs lose 2-1

Old
02-29-2012, 01:25 AM
andy28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
I never said anything about trading a pick for a short term fix, i said trading a future 1st round pick while there's an illusion of us being absolutely terrible for a top 5-6 pick this year.
What if it's not an illusion?

Burke thought he was going to have a better finish when he traded his 1st rounders.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post

You can tell that to the guys who have connections on the Redskins forums I peruse. They are strangers, but they shoot it to you straight.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:29 AM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
It took a habs GM to figure out that building through the draft is the smartest way. Yet for whatever reason, we have lost that tradition.

We have one of the best head-scouts in the biz currently. Lets let him work with some picks for once.

Selling a pick at the beginning of the season is a buyer favouring move. If we could trade it for someone like Kuznetsov, I might consider it, but Washington will absolutely not bite on the offer.
i think the habs are a playoff team next year with some easy changes (GM, coach, gionta, markov, bye gomez)...so the question in regards to my idea is that, is galchenyuk better than a 2013 player drafted in the 14-20 range? The top 10 of this years draft is considered strong, its what comes after it that people question...2013 is touted as having depth...is the mid pick depth of 2013s draft better than a top 5 pick this year?

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:33 AM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
What if it's not an illusion?

Burke thought he was going to have a better finish when he traded his 1st rounders.
but burke's team sucked for years before it. plus its brian burke, he hasn't done anything in his life as a gm...except fleece kevin lowe in the pronger trade.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:40 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
i think the habs are a playoff team next year with some easy changes (GM, coach, gionta, markov, bye gomez)...so the question in regards to my idea is that, is galchenyuk better than a 2013 player drafted in the 14-20 range? The top 10 of this years draft is considered strong, its what comes after it that people question...2013 is touted as having depth...is the mid pick depth of 2013s draft better than a top 5 pick this year?
Wait, what are you suggesting? That we get rid of this pick?

I get your main idea: our pick next year is likely to be overvalued at the beginning of the season if we are a good team next year, and therefore we can sell high with the pick and get a return for more than the pick is actually going to be worth in june 2013.

I don't agree. It's a gambit and we're not in position to make it. Keep the picks, in fact, get more picks, and let Timmins work.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:47 AM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Wait, what are you suggesting? That we get rid of this pick?

I get your main idea: our pick next year is likely to be overvalued at the beginning of the season if we are a good team next year, and therefore we can sell high with the pick and get a return for more than the pick is actually going to be worth in june 2013.

I don't agree. It's a gambit and we're not in position to make it. Keep the picks, in fact, get more picks, and let Timmins work.
My suggestion is to trade our pick in 2013 to secure a top 5 pick this year. I think its virtually impossible that the habs are this bad next season and even if we are...we are trading a top 6 pick for a top 6 pick. Can anyone tell me how the top 6 in this years draft compare to the top 6 next year? If its little to none, what's the problem? I doubt we'll be as bad as the jackets to out tank them for Mackinnon (who is the big prize and seemingly the only person people talk about in 2013) anyways.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Oh you worked in hockey eh? Where? I'm very curious.
Where's the smiley for "sound of crickets"

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:51 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
My suggestion is to trade our pick in 2013 to secure a top 5 pick this year.
Impossible. Won't happen. Top 5 drafting teams get wide eyes as the draft nears and that inflates their values well past what our 2013 pick's projected value is.

For example, no one saw the Avalanche as fighting for a playoff spot. Their pick was far more likely to be high than ours was going into the season, yet it only fetched Varlamov.

If someone offered us another top 5 for our 1st, yeah I'd do it. But it's not happening.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:07 AM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Impossible. Won't happen. Top 5 drafting teams get wide eyes as the draft nears and that inflates their values well past what our 2013 pick's projected value is.

For example, no one saw the Avalanche as fighting for a playoff spot. Their pick was far more likely to be high than ours was going into the season, yet it only fetched Varlamov.

If someone offered us another top 5 for our 1st, yeah I'd do it. But it's not happening.
People thought the Avs overpaid for Varly thinking they'd be a lottery team again, clearly that hasn't been the case as they are very much in the thick of the playoff race...as they made the trade with a vision of them being a good team which they are now once they drafted Landeskog, E.Johnson getting comfortable and adding Varly. A lot of people think lowly of the Habs, i think our ineptitude this season has been an illusion and its just an idea to swap picks to take advantage of it. But you make a good point in regards to teams being reluctant to trade a top 5 pick when the draft nears. Its the other side of the argument where people think that WE are the ones that are taking the risk that i disagree with.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:48 AM
habsfantoronto
Ducks GM

I don't post her much but I was wondering what people thought of the Malone/Emelin bs. Malone hits Emelin from behind, Emelin gets him back, and then he blindsides and attacks Emelin coming out of the box? Suspension maybe? I thought it was pretty riciculous.

habsfantoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
but burke's team sucked for years before it. plus its brian burke, he hasn't done anything in his life as a gm...except fleece kevin lowe in the pronger trade.
and build the canucks from trainwreck to cup contender

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I would be very happy with Grigorenko, he would thrive in Montreal!!! The big center we have been looking for so long!
I would actually be inclined to take Grigorenko even if we win the lottery and draft first.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:10 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I think its absolutely disgraceful how many of you are cheering against the team. I understand the value of a high pick, but let's be serious here. Cheering against your team is just stupid. Maurice Richard must be rolling in his grave right now.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:23 AM
FinnHab

This season is down and out total disaster, unbelievable. Hopefully, this years Draft we can land future impact player.

Gauthier: GTFO

But if new GM will be Julien Brisebois, same sh** continues?? That guy was Gaineys right hand man, wasnt he?

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

But Gauthier explicitly told me yesterday that now that the trade deadline was over, we'd start to play better. Give the guy a contract extension.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:58 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
That would be a monumentally bad decision.
Agreed, you just don't take that chance. What makes picks especially important is the need to start restocking the cupboards and picks is the best way to do it.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:04 AM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
I'm not cheering for or against them, just sitting back amazed at what Im seeing
its hard to even tune into it
Eller had a good game? i couldnt tell you, my mind wanders too much
im watching but not really watching

RC is hilariously inept like the rest of them

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:20 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It almost seems like RC has stopped coaching because he doesn't even know what to do anymore. It's like he doesn't even care himself.
Naw, this is RC's way of saying I ain't learning French.

But seriously, I can't understand how a lot of strong hockey people were claiming this guy was as good a coach as Dineen. I don't see it. He relegates Pleks to checking defensive duties and gives Gomez plum PP minutes. He can't be this dumb. He must be getting orders from management to showcase the Gomer. They want to trade him for Rimouski's conditional 9th rd pick in the 2154 draft.

Now watch us release RC and he goes to Columbus and becomes the next Babcock or Bylsma.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But Gauthier explicitly told me yesterday that now that the trade deadline was over, we'd start to play better. Give the guy a contract extension.
Can't believe they're are people who actually still try to defend that moron, unreal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I think its absolutely disgraceful how many of you are cheering against the team. I understand the value of a high pick, but let's be serious here. Cheering against your team is just stupid. Maurice Richard must be rolling in his grave right now.
I understand tanking as deliberately losing. That's not what the team did this season. It's just a sinking ship. We're only spectators of a slow-motion shipwreck.

We can either delusionally support Scott, Chris and Tomas to turn things around... Or we can accept reality, cheer for specific players, and hope that when the storm passes, fate puts us in a good position for the future. That could mean a high draft pick or it could mean putting new people in place.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:30 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I had a hunch the objective was to tank the moment we fired Martin.
If they want to tank why did they hold onto Campoli, Kaberle, Noke and the others. Why not trade them at the deadline. Word was they were offered a 5th for Campoli. Bad as he is Campoli is still better than anything we have in Hamilton, so trade him, get the pick and bring up the lesser talent from Hamilton. That would help with the tank. It's not like they want re-sign Campoli.

You're giving management too much credit. This group is just plain incompetent.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:50 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
, and hope that when the storm passes, fate puts us in a good position for the future. That could mean a high draft pick or it could mean putting new people in place.
It's not fate that will put good people in place. It's an ownership group that will perform its due diligence. And quite honestly I don't trust Molson & his group to do that. The whole debacle surrounding RC's hiring leads me to think that Molson is either behind half this mess or he's as incompetent as his management group.

Your GM fires the coach in mid-stream and replaces him with a unilingual coach. A crap storm erupts. In a panic the owner releases a statement that basically says this coach is a sacrificial lamb and will be gone at the end of the year and my GM is an idiot yet the GM is still around.

You trust that owner to make good decisions?

Old
02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
JustAHabFan

We have a new competitor in the Leafs. Their fans start to talk about tanking now. I feel no pity for their misfortune as a few of them are quite arrogant just a month ago.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
unprecedented team failure translates to unprecedented fan outrage and frustration.

I don't think any fan truly "cheers" for another team, more of a rationalization that maybe winning isn't in the current best interests and forcing acceptance of the current results.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
unprecedented team failure translates to unprecedented fan outrage and frustration.

I don't think any fan truly "cheers" for another team, more of a rationalization that maybe winning isn't in the current best interests and forcing acceptance of the current results.
should watched game threades once in a while...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote