HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Red Fisher "Habs fail to build for future"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 11:28 PM
  #51
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Yes, as frustrating the lack of movement yesterday, there is probably a silver lining behind it all. I will remain hopeful that we get a housecleaning.
I have a really hard time understanding how Molson would not clean house..

I just don't see how this management group can get another chance to fix things really.
I don't get how an owner would take yet another risk after such poor results.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:44 PM
  #52
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 500
make Gauthier GM of Red Wings or Bruins, with in 1.5 years they'd be in bottom of NHL ...
Zetterberg traded to Nashville for a second rounder,Lucic to St Louis for a 5th rounder.


Give Gauthier the winning horse in a race, he'd make it a last place loser...



Any team wishing to TANK for real, Gauthier is the man .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:00 AM
  #53
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I have a really hard time understanding how Molson would not clean house..

I just don't see how this management group can get another chance to fix things really.
I don't get how an owner would take yet another risk after such poor results.
I think the only way it happens at this point is if Gauthier really is Molson's puppet. If he's a guy that will do what he's told then that's what will happen.

And then we'll really be in trouble.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:11 AM
  #54
GeneralManager*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Not showcasing Kostitsyn when you know were going to trade him was Gauthier's mistake at the deadline...but he didn't just fail to show case him, he got cunneyworth to suck all the value he ever had by playing him with blowmez, 10 minutes a night, with no pp time and then berating him to the media. Getting a 2nd round pick is expected when you do that to ANY player. Just terrible asset management, mind boggling really.

Our prospect pool is bare for the simple fact that we trade picks for band-aids, fail to keep the band-aids, get nothing in return for the band-aids, trade away our good young players way below market value if they show any kind of attitude, letting ufa's walk away for nothing so you can maybe get into the 2nd round of the playoffs...its just not how you build a successful team.

So many failures in the Gainey era has caused the mess that we are in. There is a light at the end of the tunnel however, it has to do with the fact that we make a lot of money, carey price, subban, pacioretty and this lottery pick we are getting. But for that light to shine down on us our management needs to go as does our inept coaching staff.

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:47 AM
  #55
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,684
vCash: 1707
about the "waaa-waaa sabres got a first and hodgson". yeah, that's because gaustad brings more to a team than akost. and whoopee-doo, we don't have a kassian to trade, they did.

this team lacks high-end talent, no doubt about it, but let's not over dramatize the trade deadline situation... moen/darche are injured and campoli is garbage - well that's not true, worth a 5th apparently (which is better than mike commodore) but goat gambled someone would give a third and nobody did. oops... :rickperry:

and campoli was playing well during the off-season and was playing well until he got injured earlier in the season. he's better now than he was a couple of weeks ago when he was downright brutal, but still....

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:52 AM
  #56
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,684
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
Not showcasing Kostitsyn when you know were going to trade him was Gauthier's mistake at the deadline...but he didn't just fail to show case him, he got cunneyworth to suck all the value he ever had by playing him with blowmez, 10 minutes a night, with no pp time and then berating him to the media. Getting a 2nd round pick is expected when you do that to ANY player. Just terrible asset management, mind boggling really.
i didn't have much faith in cunneyworth before. but that sealed it for me: **** him

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:54 AM
  #57
GeneralManager*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i didn't have much faith in cunneyworth before. but that sealed it for me: **** him
He did deliver the lottery pick on a silver platter, so i salute him for that.

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:58 AM
  #58
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,684
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
He did deliver the lottery pick on a silver platter, so i salute him for that.
right sorry, thank you cunney!

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:15 AM
  #59
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,057
vCash: 500
Why do you need to showcase a 5 year vet? AK is who he is and "showcasing" him would do NOTHING. If he was an unknown or there wasn't much of a sample size I could understand showcasing him. Such an overrated player by Habs fans.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:28 AM
  #60
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,881
vCash: 500
I don't get why everyone's freaking out so much. We're not Toronto for God's sakes, we're one year removed from a playoff berth! Teams don't make the playoffs sometimes, looks at Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh. Hopefully this is our time to get that great player to lead us to a Stanley Cup!

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:33 AM
  #61
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,426
vCash: 500
"If he can't make the 4th line on team A then he surely can't play on team B's 4th line..."

That has to be the absolute most ridiculous amateur thing to say about 4th liners. Can we agree that even the Wings would gladly accept
Ben Eager in their 4th line? Why are needs so hard to grasp for a journalist that's been there for so long? My ass that Staubitz's 3:51 will guarantee that we are tanking...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:58 AM
  #62
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
LL, Geoffrion and even Eller and DD aren't proven. That's not a collection to write home about man. We don't even know if Eller is going to be anything more than 3rd or 2nd line material.

I'm sorry but you listing these players helps Fisher's case more than it does yours.



Where did he say they were ALL losers?

Gomez, Kaberle, Bourque, Campioli even AK garnered zero interest. I'm sorry but when your 2nd best scorer is landing offers of a 2nd round pick you know you're in bad shape.

Quote:
Did you really expect general manager Pierre Gauthier to roll the dice with anything approaching a move dedicated to bring a semblance of hope for next season now that his losers remain dead last in the Eastern Conference with only 19 games remaining?
So this guy is mad because PG did nothing to make the team better at the deadline, I would ask what he could have done? Could you imagine the out lash if he traded to try and salvage anything?


Who cares if eller is only a 2/3rd line center you still need those, do you even read my posts? They are missing some top line talent and guess what they arent going to acquire that at the deadline when they are in last place without giving up something equally as good.

I am not debating the fact that they need to change things and get some more talent but this guy is using stupid logic to grind his axe with PG. No **** people dont want Gomez, Kaberle, Campoli or Bourque and that is on Gauthier, but direct the hate with some sound logic towards him and leave the vague hating on the team out of it.

Ak second best scorer really? Maybe the second most talented scorer but Cole, Pac, and DD have more and eller and plekanec are tied with him. The trade deadline is based on needs and no one really needed an inconsistent scorer as much as they need a Gaustad type center.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:08 AM
  #63
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I don't get why everyone's freaking out so much. We're not Toronto for God's sakes, we're one year removed from a playoff berth! Teams don't make the playoffs sometimes, looks at Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh. Hopefully this is our time to get that great player to lead us to a Stanley Cup!
It's one thing to miss the playoffs due to injury/bad luck, whatever. It's another to miss the playoffs out of incompetence. The D is the biggest story this year and MANY people before the season started thought the D was extremely weak. How could a frigging GM not see that? Add to that the lack of a 4th line as well as muscle. Such easy things to address but Gauthier was too busy picking the chicken out his salad.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:15 AM
  #64
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It's one thing to miss the playoffs due to injury/bad luck, whatever. It's another to miss the playoffs out of incompetence. The D is the biggest story this year and MANY people before the season started thought the D was extremely weak. How could a frigging GM not see that? Add to that the lack of a 4th line as well as muscle. Such easy things to address but Gauthier was too busy picking the chicken out his salad.
That is fantastic and while I agree, what I dont agree with is this fool using the lack of trade deadline activity to justify his view when there is plenty of other reasonable ways to do it. I would be more worried if PG was allowed to try and "make the team better" since he has failed at every chance he had to do this. Yet this guy tries to use it as a reason to bash him when in reality it is probably better he wasnt allowed to do anything but try and get rid of the ****. It will be amazing to see what a good coach can do for this group and GM that is competent, but I am not even sure if they will get that right since the criteria limits their choices.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:26 AM
  #65
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,921
vCash: 500
It would be good if one of the veteran writers like Red stepped up to giving their full analysis of the team's decline and current situation. The old timers can give perspective on the patriarchal culture, complacency, and cut-against-the-grain decisions better than most. I *think* people would appreciate it more than a piling on article.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
  #66
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
It would be good if one of the veteran writers like Red stepped up to giving their full analysis of the team's decline and current situation. The old timers can give perspective on the patriarchal culture, complacency, and cut-against-the-grain decisions better than most. I *think* people would appreciate it more than a piling on article.
Very true. I would think even offering an opinion on what could have been done differently at the deadline would give it more substance and make it look less like the rantings of a HF poster.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:10 AM
  #67
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Red's right. The Habs do fail to build for the future.

And it's not simply a question of not keeping and/or stockpiling draft picks, although that is definitely part of it.

The main problem is that since the the Centennial Year disaster, this team has been managed on a year-by-year basis rather than with even a semblance of a long-term plan.

This has resulted in the following major problems:


1. We look for temporary solutions to serious problems, and then wonder why those problems arise again after the most recent solution is let go. Nowhere is this more abundantly clear than on defense.

We let Souray and Streit go to other teams, and then are shocked when our defense core lacks the offensive spark it needs to run a good PP.

So then we trade draft picks to get Schneider. Problem is solved until we just let him walk in the offseason. Then the problem creeps up again next season.

So then we bring in MAB. Problem is solved (albeit with a worse D-Man than Souray, Streit, or Scheider). Then we let MAB walk. Then the problem creeps up again next season.

So then we bring in Wiz, at the cost of more draft picks. Problem is solved. Then we let Wiz walk. Then the problem creeps up yet again the following season.

So then we bring in Kaberle. And this time, it doesn't work. This time the band-aid approach doesn't get the job done, and our PP sucks a big one, and so we're crashing and burning.

This year's disaster may well have been avoided if management had practiced just a little bit of foresight. Not a lot, just enough to realize that having good, offensive D-Men is kind of important to running a good PP.

Our team's bread and butter for years has been a kickass PP. For the management of such a team to not put a HIGH priority on keeping the top PP pieces in place is negligent to an almost criminal degree.

This is compounded by the fact that year-after-year we trade draft picks away like candy. Giving up a 2nd for Dominic Moore is no big deal, nor is giving up mid-to-late round picks for the Sopels and Maras of the world. But when you do that every year, and then constantly just let the guy walk in the off-season, you're badly depleting your system in the long-run.

It shouldn't shock anybody that our prospect pool is as poor as it is. Trading away draft picks has caught up to us. We spent so much draft pick "money" on band-aids that we never bothered to turn into permanent solutions that we've finally gone broke.

For this reason more than any other, Gauthier and Gainey should both be out of any management or advisory position by the end of this year.


2. Not enough patience with young players. A good young player/prospect doesn't act like a perfectly polished professional and he's deemed a cancer and forced out, often with no regard to what return we get for him. Grabo and SKost are doing quite well on other teams, but one incident from each was enough to give up on them. When you constantly give up on young players, but almost all of them go on to do great on other teams, the problem wasn't the player, the problem was with the team/organization.

We're not patient enough, simple as that. And that goes back to the Habs failing to build for the future and thinking too much in present tense alone.


3. We don't value pure talent enough.

A lot of this goes back to the coaching staff we've had here since Carbo. We've had a series of defensive or "grind it out" style coaches, all of which don't value natural offensive talent enough. This is part of the reason why guys like SKost and D'Ago floundered here, but did fine elsewhere.

As an organization, we're too concerned with well-rounded complete players, and not enough with elite high-end talent. Instead of taking the high-end offensive dynamo with some questions surrounding him, we take the Kyle Chipchuras and Chris Higgins. And when we do take the high-end offensive dynamo, he too often is mishandled by coaches.


As I see it, these are the Habs three key problems:

1. Going for band-aid solutions where permanent solutions are needed, having the side effect of losing numerous draft picks over the years in trades, leaving the cupboard bare.

2. Not being patient enough with young players.

3. Not valuing high-end talent enough. Overly concerned with "complete package" types.



Going forward, these are the first three things that need to be fixed, imo.


Last edited by Darth Joker: 02-29-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
  #68
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,395
vCash: 500
I like Darth's post.

It also seems like there is something wrong with the way we draft. The skill guys we take do not have character or the requisite level of skill for the top lines. You can argue that we aren't patient enough, or that we are not drafting the right guys and then are stuck moving them at rock bottom. That whole Belorussian fiasco should not have happened for instance. Maybe the guys doing the interviewing don't have the right character to see people who lack character! To me those guys have lazy attitudes, and worse, are not intelligent players. You can see it a mile away. All that fake aggression and fake hustle. That stuff is obvious. A guy like Adam McQuaid will eat that up when it counts. We just don't have the right players to win Cups. You can't play puck possession with guys who have no character and zero hockey sense.

The Kaberle trade shattered my faith in Gauthier. And Bourque has always been seen as a lazy guy too. I'm not sure who we need to bring in here to run this team. Whoever has been suggesting the right players all along, maybe they should take over, whoever that is. And I've heard rumors.

If you don't find top 6 and top 4's in the draft (that are also playoff performers - Subban for instance), you will lose in the cap era. The only way around that is to make trades or sign the right UFA's (not the Gomezes, who already proved he was an overpaid second line center who needed gritty linemates to do his work for him long ago - in JERSEY).

Also, our team concept has been questionable. Seems as though we just stockpile as many skill guys who can skate and then hope something will shake out of that. It hasn't worked, and then we need the bandaids.

We need better drafting, bottom line. We're missing too many players.

I also agree with Red - we do not do bundle trades and go after the right players. Seems as tho dregs like the Kostitsyns have some value, why not bundle these stiffs with the picks we are already trading for band-aids and get some real players in here, instead of dumping them at rock bottom for relatively low picks.

And why was there even talk of trading away toughness like Moen? Why was Gill traded for basically a 3rd rounder when we still have to deal with Boston and Tinordi is not even close to ready (and should NOT be rushed into something like that)? Couldn't we have bundled Cammalleri and KosTITsyn, a kid and a first for someone good (Nash?), then gone after Parise? Why didn't we sign the Charas, the Neils?

I'm sure if I knew more about these players in their personal lives, I would change my mind, but seems as though we are playing a low stakes game.


Last edited by tinyzombies: 02-29-2012 at 11:59 AM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:08 PM
  #69
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
It would be good if one of the veteran writers like Red stepped up to giving their full analysis of the team's decline and current situation. The old timers can give perspective on the patriarchal culture, complacency, and cut-against-the-grain decisions better than most. I *think* people would appreciate it more than a piling on article.
Exactly. We should hear from Red more often.

I can already see the blind followers of Habs' management from the HFBoards getting their panties in a bunch on a regular basis over it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:21 PM
  #70
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
Not showcasing Kostitsyn when you know were going to trade him was Gauthier's mistake at the deadline...but he didn't just fail to show case him, he got cunneyworth to suck all the value he ever had by playing him with blowmez, 10 minutes a night, with no pp time and then berating him to the media. Getting a 2nd round pick is expected when you do that to ANY player. Just terrible asset management, mind boggling really.

Our prospect pool is bare for the simple fact that we trade picks for band-aids, fail to keep the band-aids, get nothing in return for the band-aids, trade away our good young players way below market value if they show any kind of attitude, letting ufa's walk away for nothing so you can maybe get into the 2nd round of the playoffs...its just not how you build a successful team.

So many failures in the Gainey era has caused the mess that we are in. There is a light at the end of the tunnel however, it has to do with the fact that we make a lot of money, carey price, subban, pacioretty and this lottery pick we are getting. But for that light to shine down on us our management needs to go as does our inept coaching staff.
Let's just hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
about the "waaa-waaa sabres got a first and hodgson". yeah, that's because gaustad brings more to a team than akost. and whoopee-doo, we don't have a kassian to trade, they did.

this team lacks high-end talent, no doubt about it, but let's not over dramatize the trade deadline situation... moen/darche are injured and campoli is garbage - well that's not true, worth a 5th apparently (which is better than mike commodore) but goat gambled someone would give a third and nobody did. oops... :rickperry:

and campoli was playing well during the off-season and was playing well until he got injured earlier in the season. he's better now than he was a couple of weeks ago when he was downright brutal, but still....
We do have guys we could've traded though. Pleks, Cole... those guys would've gotten some good returns. Why didn't we explore this avenue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I don't get why everyone's freaking out so much. We're not Toronto for God's sakes, we're one year removed from a playoff berth! Teams don't make the playoffs sometimes, looks at Boston, Chicago and Pittsburgh. Hopefully this is our time to get that great player to lead us to a Stanley Cup!
Great, so we're not Toronto. What's that got to do with anything?

We're a perpetual bubble team that has fallen off a cliff. Moreover, as we've fallen we've made sideways moves and haven't tried to build for the future. It's one thing to fall to last place, it's a whole other ballgame to do it and stick yourself with Thomas Kaberle at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
So this guy is mad because PG did nothing to make the team better at the deadline, I would ask what he could have done? Could you imagine the out lash if he traded to try and salvage anything?
I don't think he's mad that PG did nothing to make the Habs better, I think he's simply pointing out that we have a lot of trash that nobody else is interested in.

As for 'what could he have done?' He could've offered up some of the vets like Pleks and Cole to see what he could get to build the future with. He had choices, he just chose to stand pat. That's fair enough, but don't sit there and say he had no choice to do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Who cares if eller is only a 2/3rd line center you still need those, do you even read my posts? They are missing some top line talent and guess what they arent going to acquire that at the deadline when they are in last place without giving up something equally as good.
Sure, Eller's an okay prospect. But he's nothing to write home about. That's Red's point. our team is made up of guys with not a whole lot of value. We're not in very good shape right now. Is there a team out there right now that just HAS to have Eller? No. But we're looking at him to play a major role for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
I am not debating the fact that they need to change things and get some more talent but this guy is using stupid logic to grind his axe with PG. No **** people dont want Gomez, Kaberle, Campoli or Bourque and that is on Gauthier, but direct the hate with some sound logic towards him and leave the vague hating on the team out of it.

Ak second best scorer really? Maybe the second most talented scorer but Cole, Pac, and DD have more and eller and plekanec are tied with him. The trade deadline is based on needs and no one really needed an inconsistent scorer as much as they need a Gaustad type center.
AK was a big part of our offense. You want to knitpick about Cole vs. him in terms of goalscoring... that's fine. They usually put up around 25 goals a year each. I think Cole brings more to the table right now for sure too btw and would've garnered far more interest but it doesn't change the fact that we traded away a core player and only managed a 2nd. That's not good man.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
  #71
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
Red's right. The Habs do fail to build for the future...
This is a very good post. Your chronological history on our blueline really brings home the point too. I've always felt this way but you've captured it very well here. Nice work.

I agree with the rest of your post as well. The one thing I will put stronger empahsis on though is... lack of elite talent. We never get it and it's killed us. We've got to put much more of an emphasis on this. You can't expect to win without it. It can be done but it's so much harder. We desperately need superstar level players on this team and we have for a long, long time.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:23 PM
  #72
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
This is a very good post. Your chronological history on our blueline really brings home the point too. I've always felt this way but you've captured it very well here. Nice work.
Thanks.


Quote:

I agree with the rest of your post as well. The one thing I will put stronger empahsis on though is... lack of elite talent. We never get it and it's killed us. We've got to put much more of an emphasis on this. You can't expect to win without it. It can be done but it's so much harder. We desperately need superstar level players on this team and we have for a long, long time.
Agreed.

Lack of elite talent is definitely the biggest problem facing this team.

We haven't had a consistent offensive threat on this team since Kovalev's one big year with us. Part of that was Cammy being a massive regular season disappointment, but most of it really is management not valuing pure elite offensive talent enough.

Carbo once said that he'd love a team of all Tom Kostopouloses, IIRC. This sort of mentality has plagued this franchise for far too long. Yeah, it's great to have tough, hardworking character guys on your team, but the most important thing is to have 1st liners and 1st pairing defensemen that are actually elite players and "go to guys" offensively that can be counted on for at least 30 goals a year (if a forward) and good PP production.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:48 PM
  #73
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Let's just hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.

We do have guys we could've traded though. Pleks, Cole... those guys would've gotten some good returns. Why didn't we explore this avenue?

Great, so we're not Toronto. What's that got to do with anything?

We're a perpetual bubble team that has fallen off a cliff. Moreover, as we've fallen we've made sideways moves and haven't tried to build for the future. It's one thing to fall to last place, it's a whole other ballgame to do it and stick yourself with Thomas Kaberle at the same time.

I don't think he's mad that PG did nothing to make the Habs better, I think he's simply pointing out that we have a lot of trash that nobody else is interested in.

As for 'what could he have done?' He could've offered up some of the vets like Pleks and Cole to see what he could get to build the future with. He had choices, he just chose to stand pat. That's fair enough, but don't sit there and say he had no choice to do this.

Sure, Eller's an okay prospect. But he's nothing to write home about. That's Red's point. our team is made up of guys with not a whole lot of value. We're not in very good shape right now. Is there a team out there right now that just HAS to have Eller? No. But we're looking at him to play a major role for us.

AK was a big part of our offense. You want to knitpick about Cole vs. him in terms of goalscoring... that's fine. They usually put up around 25 goals a year each. I think Cole brings more to the table right now for sure too btw and would've garnered far more interest but it doesn't change the fact that we traded away a core player and only managed a 2nd. That's not good man.
People would inquire about eller if PG was stupid enough to trade him. Red Fisher isnt simply pointing out anything, as said earlier by agnostic he was piling on and using the trade deadline to justify it. What would you have traded AK for if you dont mind me asking? If you wouldnt have traded him for a second I assume you would re-sign him.

Also you dont trade your best FA signing of the previous off season unless he asks or they are going full rebuild and you tell Cole upfront. It's ridiculous to sign a guy, have him be your best forward night in night out and trade him. Maybe Plekanec was being shopped but people couldnt fit him under the cap, since no top 6 players other than carter where traded. It is easy to sit there and point the finger when you dont think about the logistics of it all (cap hit, term remaining).

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:07 PM
  #74
GeneralManager*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Why do you need to showcase a 5 year vet? AK is who he is and "showcasing" him would do NOTHING. If he was an unknown or there wasn't much of a sample size I could understand showcasing him. Such an overrated player by Habs fans.


Because scouts aren't in our stands and watching him under a microscope during his worst stretch as Hab? If a player is a 20 goal a year player for 5 seasons and then on a contract year he goes off for 40...does he get a raise based on the 20 goals or the 40 he just scored? How did Cammalleri get 6 million dollars? Because he scored 39 the year before. Why did Gomez get 7 million +? Because he was a 70-80 point player. This isn't rocket science. The Habs were considered as a potential seller for a while and as a result we had more outside scouts watching our players with a keen eye trying to see if there's anything they like. They see Kostitsyn and go..."okay he's a 20 goal scorer that hits, but why is he sucking so bad now? why does he only have 1 point in 20 games? why is he only playing 10 minutes? i thought he was on their successful powerplay units? has he lost his accurate wrist shot? Does he not care anymore? does he want to go to the khl? is he not a team player? why is the coach calling him out in front of the media" and just like that a now consistent hard hitting 20 goal scorer is relegated to a 4th line player and worth a mere second in HOPES that he can find his previous goal scoring form. They used that assessment to FLEECE Mr.Gauthier while knowing for a fact that Montreal is a terrible environment for goal scorers to score goals. "Hey pierre, that kostitsyn kid, we are interested in him...he only has 1 point in 20 games so we'll do you a favor and give you a 2nd round pick for him" How many 2nd round picks in the LEAGUE within the past 5 drafts have turned into 20 goal scorers a year. Maybe 3-4? And you're saying that's worth it? Now tell me, how does Dustin Penner get 2 first round picks last year? Do you think the oilers buried him with scrubs on the 4th line?

Now this is how the coach of one of the top teams in the league viewed the trade:

"When we got Sergei, I heard nothing but bad things about Sergei — that he couldn’t do this, he couldn’t do that, he couldn’t do this, he’s not going to help you, all those types of things,” Coach Barry Trotz said. “They’re wrong, we’re right — Sergei is one of the best things. We virtually gave up nothing and got our first-line left-winger. … He’s a good player. I expect the same thing of Andrei. I know he’s a terrific talent, and he can play.”

Essentially you're saying you know more than Barry Trotz, well done keyboard hater! They used our idiotic burial of Kostitsyn's value to get him for table scraps. Who is going to replace our 20-25 goals that kosty scored? Aaron freaking Palushaj?


Last edited by GeneralManager*: 02-29-2012 at 05:12 PM.
GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
  #75
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
People would inquire about eller if PG was stupid enough to trade him. Red Fisher isnt simply pointing out anything, as said earlier by agnostic he was piling on and using the trade deadline to justify it. What would you have traded AK for if you dont mind me asking? If you wouldnt have traded him for a second I assume you would re-sign him.

Also you dont trade your best FA signing of the previous off season unless he asks or they are going full rebuild and you tell Cole upfront. It's ridiculous to sign a guy, have him be your best forward night in night out and trade him. Maybe Plekanec was being shopped but people couldnt fit him under the cap, since no top 6 players other than carter where traded. It is easy to sit there and point the finger when you dont think about the logistics of it all (cap hit, term remaining).
This is logical. Trading Cole made sense to me, until I realized it sends a horrible message to all other UFAs.

Funny, so many of you young guys generalized about older guys 'getting it', because they've seen the great Habs teams. Well, this older guy 'gets it', and yes, I've seen more Cups in Montreal than Boston fans and their great-grandchildren will see in their combined lifetimes, and you know what... I'm not panicking.

I've also hated the previous years of bad asset management and knee-jerk trades, but we're currently in a very, very different position than those dark years. We are in stockpile mode. Loaded with draft picks for this year and next, plus a young roster that should improve. This is NOT like it was, this is a new mindset. Cap space aplenty, we're in the process of reinventing this franchise right now. The rebuild has started and because of all that inexperience we lost a season. Not because of a lack of talent, but because of a lack of mental maturity. So many blown leads - how did that happen? Did we forget how to play in the third period? Did the other team remember how to play in the last 20 minutes? No and no. Blowing game after game after game after being ahead is a symptom of nervousness and lack of experience. Losing games in the last 25 minutes isn't the mark of a bad team, it's the mark of an immature team.

So no, I'm not panicking, because along with all the Cups I've seen, I've also seen seasons much worse than this one. But unlike those seasons, we seem to be in the strange position of building instead of patching. Watch our young guys improve next year. That's my old-guy perspective: cautiously optimistic. And if I could generalize about all you young fans, I'd say you think the sky is falling based on the standings. Yeah, we're last. Big deal. Losing is a mentality that builds on itself. So is winning. More of this game is mental than you realize, and that'll become clear sooner than you think.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.