HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible money avalaible for UFAs

Old
02-29-2012, 02:52 AM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Possible money avalaible for UFAs

We saved 2.67M in the Cammalleri trade

saved 3.25M in the Kostitsyn trade

saved 2.5M on Gill

We could save 11,6M by sending both Gomez and Kaberle in the minors..

So after making the calcul, thats 20 millions saved on those guys..

Then we have to resign Price Subban Emelin Eller Diaz White and Geoffrion..

I think Price will get a long term contract and I expect 7 M per year.. 7M - his actual salary = 4.25

Subban should get about a 2M raise.. Emelin about 1.5 and lets say a total of 1.5M raise for the others.. so 4.25 + 2 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 9.25

So the money saved - raises of our own RFAs = about 10 millions..

So after signing Price and all our guys, we still have 10M free to spend.. not that bad..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Mike8

I don't think both Gomez and Kaberle being sent to the minors is a fair assumption to make.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:14 AM
GeneralManager*

agreed with mike, i don't think we send kaberle to minors. with markov being a question mark, we still need him (SIGH)/kind of stuck with him. Gomez brings nothing to the team, he's really expensive dead weight..so yah, bury him. I don't think price gets 7 million, that's too much...5.5 to 6 sounds more likely. He hasn't played that great to demand that kind of money...even though his pedigree suggests that he can be the best in the world. Him being kind of mediocre this year will hopefully allow us to low ball him a bit.

As for subban, again...he's coming off a mediocre year, take advantage and sign him to a longer term with a lower hit.

With that said, we should have lots of money left over to sign a big ufa. But here's the thing, we should only look for the big ufa...if we can't do it, we save that money for next years big fish. I don't want to overpay for 2nd rate fodder.

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:35 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't think both Gomez and Kaberle being sent to the minors is a fair assumption to make.
You also can only effectively bury 10% of your cap in the minors because the contracts count during the summer.

Basically you can dump Gomez but after that you're done as far as cap burying goes.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:12 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

saved 2.5M on Gill

I think Price will get a long term contract and I expect 7 M per year.. 7M - his actual salary = 4.25

Subban should get about a 2M raise.. Emelin about 1.5 and lets say a total of 1.5M raise for the others.. so 4.25 + 2 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 9.25

So after signing Price and all our guys, we still have 10M free to spend.. not that bad..
Plus cap goes up little each year

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:13 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Kaberle will not be sent to the minors and Gomez is more likely to be bought out then sent to the minors.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:15 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Kaberle will not be sent to the minors and Gomez is more likely to be bought out then sent to the minors.
I doubt that, unless amnesty clause.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We'd cripple ourselves for a few years by buying out Gomez when we could just send him to the AHL.

I'd send him to the ECHL though. I don't want him to have contact with any of our prospects.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We'd cripple ourselves for a few years by buying out Gomez when we could just send him to the AHL.

I'd send him to the ECHL though. I don't want him to have contact with any of our prospects.
exactly but again for people who believe Molson is so dedicated to winning we will see this off season how much he really is

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:26 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Price won't get 7m. Subban won't get 4.5 even just for a year. Kaberle won't be sent in the ahl and Gomez may be sent in the ahl

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Price won't get 7m. Subban won't get 4.5 even just for a year. Kaberle won't be sent in the ahl and Gomez may be sent in the ahl
Agree with this. Price is likely to get something closer to Luongo level cash (say 5.5M) and Subban will get closer to 3 to 3.5 at best

Gomez amnesty buy out or buried.

Kaberle is going nowhere unless someone offers to take him in a trade.

But it isn't unreasonable to think that there would be enough cap space to sign a big name UFA and a couple fillers and still have a little wiggle room after all the resignings

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

saved 2.5M on Gill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think Mike is right. More likely that Kaberle is traded and Gomez is terminated with lukewarm prejudice.

I would also trade Gionta - remove another 5 mil and make a run for Parise & Suter.

Gionta's year is a sign of what we can expect from him. For once let's trade a player while his value is still quite high and not when he's worth a bag of used pucks.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

i don't think the problem will be available money to pay the UFA's but available UFA's to take the money.

UFA supply has been dwindling in recent years, rosters are more cemented.

In other words you can close the Parise thread right now.

Need to build internally with new young players. No other way to climb out of the hole.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:11 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

We have ton of cap space, and a lot more if we somehow get rid of Gomez (AHL/Europe).

And for god sake, I know Kaberle sucks but that doesn't mean he is worthless, the Canes were stupid not to hold on to him and wait until his game picked up, the Kaberle that has been playing with us, isnt the same that played with the Bruins and Canes, he still sucks defensivly but is putting up points, look at what the Devils gave up for Zidlicky, I bet they rather have given up that for Kaberle even with the extra 250K and year on the contract, that is a perfect example of Kaberle value, a guy that is worse than him going for a decent amount. And before anyone says somthing stupid like why haven't the Habs traded him, that is because they need him until Markov proves he is able to be relied on.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:12 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Gomez is more likely to be bought out then sent to the minors.
highly unlikely imo.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Fozz

Buying out Kaberle makes more sense, both money-wise and cap-wise.

Kaberle:
http://capgeek.com/buyout_calculator...06&buyout_d=15

Gomez:
http://capgeek.com/buyout_calculator...06&buyout_d=15

The capgeek.com buyout calculator shows that the teams saves virtually no money or cap space by buying out Gomez. The ideal situation would be for Kaberle to accept to go back home and Gomez to be traded, which won't happen. The next best thing to do is to bury him in the minors and hope he retires.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Ginu

Hopefully we're smart enough to buy out one of Gomez or Kaberle and use an amnesty clause for the other. We have a string of young players available for next season including Pacioretty, Leblanc, Desharnais and Weber. We can make due with a buy-out of the cheaper of Gomez or Kaberle. Considering Tinordi, Beaulieu, our franchise center from this draft , Bournival and more likely coming the year after, a few million off a rising cap won't make that much of a difference. Remember, we went into the beginning of this year with how much free cap space? I see the trend continuing as we bring up more and more youth.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
i don't think the problem will be available money to pay the UFA's but available UFA's to take the money.

UFA supply has been dwindling in recent years, rosters are more cemented.

In other words you can close the Parise thread right now.

Need to build internally with new young players. No other way to climb out of the hole.
the defencemen available are of a higher quality than the fwds. and TBH I feel we need to sign a dman before a fwd anyhow, so we should be ok. Or we could have the cap space to make a deal for someone.

I mean, I know we have some solid prospects coming up, but we need help now

Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - ?
Emelin - Diaz/Weber

Markov...meh....I have my doubts. Tinordi, Beaulieu, need AHL time. Nash needs time after his injury, Mitera is inching closer but another year in Hamilton wouldn't hurt.

our fwds are faring better

2012 1st (Grigorenko/Galchenyuk/Forsberg)

Pacioretty - DD - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Geoffrion - Eller - LL
?Moen? - ? - White
extra: Blunden? Staubitz? (sigh) Darche?

UFA money being used on Moen and a couple of guys to add depth. Maybe a 4th line C if Enqvist is still not capable.

If Markov were to come back close to his old form, add in a solid stay-at-home defender and some bottom 6 grit, this team has a good chance at taking a run at 4th place in the conference next season.

Things suk now, but it's not all doom and gloom.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:37 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

If Price asks for $7M per yr I'd rather trade him. First of all, by looking at his stats there's no way he's earned Rinne money and he's only ever won one playoff round and that was ages ago. He hasn't stolen any games for us this yr despite being solid.

Second of all, if he's earning $7M per and starts slipping just a bit, the fans will be ALL over him and it won't be pretty. His value will plummet and we'll end up giving him away for peanuts like we've done in past.

Moreover, I don't think there's a goalie in the league that is worth $7M per. I like the Detroit model, where with sound defensive play and goal scoring - u can win the Cup with a mediocre goalie. And right now, the Habs need to reinforce those two areas. There's no point in having a $7M goalie if you can't score a goal.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
If Price asks for $7M per yr I'd rather trade him. First of all, by looking at his stats there's no way he's earned Rinne money and he's only ever won one playoff round and that was ages ago. He hasn't stolen any games for us this yr despite being solid.
Given, I agree with your second part of this statement, I don't see how the Habs would give up on Price. How many 24-25 year old goaltenders that have yet to hit their peak will be available this off-season, let alone any other off-season? As a matter of fact, how many goaltenders are available this off-season that you'd be comfortable replacing Price with? He hasn't earned $7 million a year contract, but supply in demand gives him that opportunity should he choose to ask.

Quote:
Second of all, if he's earning $7M per and starts slipping just a bit, the fans will be ALL over him and it won't be pretty. His value will plummet and we'll end up giving him away for peanuts like we've done in past.
This is what would scare me the most. One bad season and this guy would be toast in the media.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

I want players who are the same size as moen and cole, but with a skillset and salary right in between. Troy brouwer. 20 goal scorer. 2.35 cap hit. Let's get the guys who come cheap so we can have a bunch of them. That's how boston's winning.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
highly unlikely imo.
I just don't see the Habs doing it. If they had any sort of interest in doing it, they would have already.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Captain Saku

If not for Parise or Sutter I don't want to touch any of the UFAs. The UFA market is proving year after year that it's the best way to completely destroy your team. You often overpay for players that don't live up to expectations.

Let's focus on figuring out how to get rid of Gomez and re-sign tge RFAs for reasonable contracts then we'll think about our options on the UFA market.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:31 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I just don't see the Habs doing it. If they had any sort of interest in doing it, they would have already.
I guess we'll see, personally I don't think they would handicap themselves by taking on the cap hit to buy him out when he's owed 10M over 2 years.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

First off, we're not burying Gomez or Kaberle.
Second, Price will not cost 7M.

Third, yes, we'll have money, so will other teams. We might start to see teams having a hard to reach the cap ceiling.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote