HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brady: A major rift between Phaneuf and a younger player.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
rj24

vCash: 500
He may not be a great captain but I think he is an important guy. He's put up some solid points this year, and was good in all facets of the game earlier this season, so I don't see why he can't get back to playing like that again.

rj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs View Post
1 win in 10 games. sounds like the perfect time to stir the pot with some made up rumours.
1 win in 10 games, if the captain (or any other excuse for a player) isn't pissed off right now, i would be surprised. I was at the game last night, and Reimer (who we all know is VERY religious) actually screamed an "F" bomb at the defence after the second gaff. This whole team needs to take a step back and check if they still have their testicles, cause right now, they aren't playing like they do.

Oh ya.....Burke, can you fire Wilson already.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

People don't talk in code like this. "Oh hey Greg, Phaneuf is in a rift with a young player".

"Who?"

"I'LL NEVER TELL YOU!"

Brady is the type of slime that would a) make this up and b) name the player if his "source" told him.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

say what you will about the guy's ability, an opinion is easy to form by watching him (although sometimes it seems some people are watching a completely different game than I am) but there is no basis to say he is not a good captain. there are just as many "reports" saying he is a great one as there are saying he is a horrible one. And since none of you have ever witnessed how he captains first hand, you have no idea.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

I also find it funny everyone assuming that if there is a rift, Phaneuf is somehow in the wrong. Phaneuf is the captain, it's his job to come down on youngsters if they're doing something wrong.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:32 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

I think we need a paridigm shift in leadership, not sure Kessel and Phanuef are going to get us to the promised land. Kessel can stay and be a great supporting player, but you can tell other players around the league don't look up to Phanuef like a Scott Neidermayer or Chara. You are going to need leadership like these guys provide for us to take the next step to contender status. Not sure Dion has it.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I think we need a paridigm shift in leadership, not sure Kessel and Phanuef are going to get us to the promised land. Kessel can stay and be a great supporting player, but you can tell other players around the league don't look up to Phanuef like a Scott Neidermayer or Chara. You are going to need leaderhip like these guys to take the next step to contender status. Not sure Dion has it.
Nobody here has any sort of basis to make a claim like that.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I got ripped for saying as much when the fathead annointed him. Oh but Burkie "fleeced" Calgary. Hopefully Carter Ashton turns into something because Phaneuf is a dud @ 6.5M bucks and judging by how this team fails to show up for big games, he isn't much of a Captain either.
People assume its Phaneuf having a problem with a younger player, but it could very well be the other way around.

A younger player questioning Phaneuf's leadership as captain, also makes this Brady claim ring true.

After all a recent SI players only poll, did rate Phaneuf as the NHL most overrated player.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:35 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
People assume its Phaneuf having a problem with a younger player, but it could very well be the other way around.

A younger player questioning Phaneuf's leadership as captain, also makes this Brady claim ring true.
And again, it could be the other way around too. Maybe Phaneuf is tired of Schenn and Gardiner handing freebies to teams minutes into the game?

I know I'm tired of it and I'm not even the captain.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
ThreeHundred

Brady is an idiot but I can see something like that happening..
A couple guys on Calgary had issues with Phanuef as well so its not a shocker..
Phanuef isn't a captain imo

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
And again, it could be the other way around too. Maybe Phaneuf is tired of Schenn and Gardiner handing freebies to teams minutes into the game?

Not sure how you are ripping on Gardiner, 1. He is paired with Schenn so instantly he is impaired. 2. The only gaff he made was trying to clear the puck after Reimer bobbled a rebound, just bad luck that it ended up on a Fla. stick.

Oh....ya, Burke, fire Wilson already.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:41 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

It's probably Kessel

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:45 AM
ThreeHundred

I'd assume it would be another young defensemen if this were to be true

Old
punchdrunk88

Quote:

He isnt one to talk about defensive blunders though. If I was a young player and he was giving me a hard time about that I might be a little annoyed. There have been enough times this season where an opposing player has skated directly around him effortlessly.

punchdrunk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Not sure how you are ripping on Gardiner, 1. He is paired with Schenn so instantly he is impaired. 2. The only gaff he made was trying to clear the puck after Reimer bobbled a rebound, just bad luck that it ended up on a Fla. stick.

It's not the first time Gardiner has made a horrible play that ends up in a game changer. Remember that Pittsburgh game where he dove for the puck on the offensive blueline and he gave Sullivan a clean breakaway?

I know they are young and mistakes will happen but it really kills the teams momentum when they do it. Likely, something Phaneuf hates.

Old
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
It's probably Kessel
Sure....cause he's the one who wiffed on a pass 12 seconds into the game or pinched and couldn't recover, or Hell, gave up a big juicy rebound right out front of his own net!!. I mean all he did was score 1 goal and set up another.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
Maybe if he looked in the mirror, he takes as many games off as anybody else.
He's played harder and better than almost everyone except 2 or 3 guys on this team. He's always one of the few willing to get into it physically.

Luke Schenn has been a disappointment. Komisarik as well. When have either of these two got into it physically lately?

Connolly doesn't fight through checks or battle in the corners. Ditto for Lombardi. These two guys need to sit until they are willling to compete and pay a price.

I hope Phaneuf rides everyone of them until they shape up.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
If he knew anything he'd know who that younger player is. Honestly I commend Phaneuf if he's in the face of a younger player that isn't playing up to speed. He's the captain and I'd like to see him tear a few new ****** in this dressing room. He can work his way up to Connolly. Maybe if Connolly doesn't compete harder in games he can make him pay in practice.
This.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
It's not the first time Gardiner has made a horrible play that ends up in a game changer. Remember that Pittsburgh game where he dove for the puck on the offensive blueline and he gave Sullivan a clean breakaway?

I know they are young and mistakes will happen but it really kills the teams momentum when they do it. Likely, something Phaneuf hates.
Take a look at his body language last night, while i agree that he does make mistakes (even the best do), this guy bieng with Schenn is to much for a young kid. He might as well be out there alone, that way at least he doesn't have to compensate for Schenn's bonehead plays.

Oh...ya, Burke, fire Wilson already.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:49 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
He's played harder and better than almost everyone except 2 or 3 guys on this team. He's always one of the few willing to get into it physically.

Luke Schenn has been a disappointment. Komisarik as well. When have either of these two got into it physically lately?

Connolly doesn't fight through checks or battle in the corners. Ditto for Lombardi. These two guys need to sit until they are willling to compete and pay a price.

Exactly. I'm glad he is holding people accountable even if it upsets them briefly. I'm sure once this team turns it around all will be forgiven.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:50 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Sure....cause he's the one who wiffed on a pass 12 seconds into the game or pinched and couldn't recover, or Hell, gave up a big juicy rebound right out front of his own net!!. I mean all he did was score 1 goal and set up another.

Yeah probably Schenn

Old
punchdrunk88

Quote:

Schenn lead the team in hits last night I believe.

punchdrunk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
anderson3133

Quote:
Take a look at his body language last night, while i agree that he does make mistakes (even the best do), this guy bieng with Schenn is to much for a young kid. He might as well be out there alone, that way at least he doesn't have to compensate for Schenn's bonehead plays.

Oh...ya, Burke, fire Wilson already.
He makes a lot of mistakes himself though, even when he isn't out with Schenn. He gave up his man last week when Schenn was playing the body and it left whoever Gardiner's man was at the time a wide open shot and goal.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:51 AM
John-Eric Iannicello

Quote:
So you're assuming the 'rift with a younger player' is due to what happened on the ice last night?

I don't listen to this Brady guy (although I follow him on twitter) so I'm not sure what he said 'exactly'.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
I don't know why some people expect everyone on a team to get along. you spend as much time with 25 random strangers and see if you get along with everyone of them. Who cares. Humans have riffs.
Spanked.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote