HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Too many centers next year?

Old
02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
One solution, trade Plekanec because Desharnais is the same player and much cheaper and younger.

Next season:

1) Desharnais
2) Grigorenko
3) Eller
4) White

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:04 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
One solution, trade Plekanec because Desharnais is the same player and much cheaper and younger.

Next season:

1) Desharnais
2) Grigorenko
3) Eller
4) White
not at all, watch games.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:

Next season:

1) Desharnais
2) Grigorenko
3) Eller
4) White
Yeah indeed. Desharnais is a beast in defense. Desharnais is pretty good in PK. Desharnais is one of the best two-way forward in the National Hockey League.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Captain Saku

I've got a question. Is Grigo eligible to play in the AGL next season?

Edit: nvm got the response he cant

Last edited by Captain Saku: 02-29-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Et le But

Quote:

Next season:

1) Desharnais
2) Grigorenko
3) Eller
4) White
By same player, do you mean completely different kinds of players? Because then I'd agree.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:09 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
not at all, watch games.
Both small and similar production=same players

Plekanec is a two-way center that can drive possession in hard minutes.
DD is a one-way center that isn't that good at driving possession by himself but is very good once he's in the offensive zone.

Edit: I don't think the guy we draft makes the team next year (except if it's Yakupov) but if he does it's gonna be in a sheltered high Ozone% starts role. He won't be our first line center... the lack of a legit two-way tough minutes unit is a big part of why we are where we are this year (thanks coach!) and people want to do the same mistake all over again?

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
Both small and similar production=same players

Plekanec is a two-way center that can drive possession in hard minutes.
DD is a one-way center that isn't that good at driving possession by himself but is very good once he's in the offensive zone.
Seriously besides being "smurfs" and centres their skillsets are completely different. If anything the two compliment each other.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:12 AM
WestIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
not at all, watch games.
I watch 90% of the games every year and this is since the early 90's.

Desharnais might turn into a better player than Plekanec one day, don't underestimate him, he is hungrier than 80% of the players on the roster right now.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:17 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Desharnais might turn into a better player than Plekanec one day, don't underestimate him, he is hungrier than 80% of the players on the roster right now.
Still they wouldnt be the same type of players...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:20 AM
76ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Draft Grigorenko, Trade Plekanec, Demote Gomez, Sign Parise, Sign Suter

That should be the game plan for the offseason.
Let's get Lafleur out of retirement too!

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:21 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

It all really depends on how NHL ready Grigorenko or Galchenyuk are. If they are extremely far from being ready physically keep them in junior. If they are good enough to play in the NHL without being impact players start them on the 4th line with soft minutes&occasional assignements on top lines and powerplay.

If they are superior to any of Eller, Desharnais or Plekanec then move Desharnais to wing.

Problem solved and we don't have to trade one of our best players to make room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
We're talking about the Montreal Canadiens here. When is the last time they gave a roster spot to an 18 year old?

Christ I feel even if they win the lottery that they would keep Yakupov in the OHL.
Who should have been given a roster spot as a 18 years old? Probably the youngest player to join the team in the last 10 years was Latendresse at 19 and he was rushed. The Habs haven't had a top pick at forward for decades. You know this, so why the need to take an undeserved shot at the org?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander
Desharnais is one of my favourite players but theres a reason he's still hungry for points and Plekanec isn't. Plekanec knows this team is going nowere, he has nobody to play with and he's signed for half a decade. Desharnais on the other hand is still paid pocket change and still needs to prove he belongs in the league. If he slacks DD could be out of the league within two or three years. Plekanec would be given chances by a lot of teams.

Obviously Desharnais is a very determined player and a tireless worker. SO IS PLEKANEC under normal circumstances. Do people remember how Plekanec also used to be like our 8th best prospect projected to be a borderline 3rd liner? He's gone a long way and actually replaced Ribeiro and Koivu (who would have thought then?). I'm sure he'll bounce back next year.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 02-29-2012 at 11:26 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Et le But

Quote:

Offensively? Give him a better shot and he's there.

Overall? He's never going to be the defender Plekanec is. He can still get better, but when you are that small without the same explosive athleticism of some of the other guys that height in the NHL, there's only so much you can do to improve your top speed and strength.

If anyone on the team will make Plekanec redundant, it's Eller, or if we draft him, Galchenyuk. Desharnais is a completely different kind of player.

Being centers doesn't make the interchangable.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I wouldn't trade Eller, the thing is that Eller will be ready for the top 6 role next year. If we do draft Grigorenko and he makes the jump to the NHL right away, I'd trade Desharnais for a pick in next years draft. Hopefully he continues his great progression and we'd be able to snatch a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder and a prospect.

No one will remember Desharnais if Grigorenko becomes what he's supposed to become. One thing's for sure, Plekanec and Eller would really help Grigorenko to concentrate strictly on his strengths. His defensive game will develop with time. I would hate our coaches trying to turn him into a 2way forward right from the start.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Eller nor DD is a Top 6 center yet. Pleks is our only one and its a testament to his game for him to take so much pressure off them. We are much better off converting Desharnais to the wing for two reasons. First, we sorely lack size down the middle. Second he is a playmaker and we have Bourque, Gionta, Cole, Pacioretty who are all shooters. We need playmakers, especially if we draft a guy like Grigorenko.

I think these lines would get us into the playoffs (assuming we get one or the other)

Cole - Plekanec - Parise/Yakupov
Pacioretty - Eller - Gionta (with Giontas shooting, this line would be very good)
Desharnais - Grigorenko/FA - Bourque
Geoffrion - FA - White

Subban - Suter/Gorges
Markov - Gorges/FA
Emelin - Diaz/FA

Price
Oh please. The underrating of this guy is killing me. He'll have a 60+ points season this year as a rookie/sophomore. He has great passing skills and high hockey IQ.

If he were 6'3'', I swear we'd see some people around claiming that we've finally found our legit N.1 center.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Mrb1p

Best case scenario is we draft one of the top 4 and they are ready.
Then our line look's that
Patches-Plek-Drafted player
Cole-Eller-Desharnais
Bourque-Leblanc-Gionta
Moen-Geoffrion-White

Worst case ? We don't land Yakupov. the other drafted player arent ready. They stay Junior. We suck another year. We draft another high end talent.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I wouldn't trade Eller, the thing is that Eller will be ready for the top 6 role next year. If we do draft Grigorenko and he makes the jump to the NHL right away, I'd trade Desharnais for a pick in next years draft. Hopefully he continues his great progression and we'd be able to snatch a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder and a prospect.

No one will remember Desharnais if Grigorenko becomes what he's supposed to become. One thing's for sure, Plekanec and Eller would really help Grigorenko to concentrate strictly on his strengths. His defensive game will develop with time. I would hate our coaches trying to turn him into a 2way forward right from the start.
I wouldn't trade any of our centers. We need talent, DD has that. I'd make him a winger thought.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
I wouldn't trade any of our centers. We need talent, DD has that. I'd make him a winger thought.
Yup trading our good player doesnt give us more talent.

Depth win's it in the NHL.

In a case where the player you acquire is not Crosby/Malkin
Quantity over quality

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Grant McCagg

I know this keeps falling on deaf ears, but we will NOT draft Grigorenko! He may very well not be one of the top five forwards on Montreal's draft board on draft day. He may not be top five on a lot of team's draft boards by then.

This year reminds me so much of "trade up and draft Cherepanov in the top five" back in 2007 that it's scary. You saw how he slipped....

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I know this keeps falling on deaf ears, but we will NOT draft Grigorenko! He may very well not be one of the top five forwards on Montreal's draft board on draft day. He may not be top five on a lot of team's draft boards by then.

This year reminds me so much of "trade up and draft Cherepanov in the top five" back in 2007 that it's scary. You saw how he slipped....
Could you tell us what you think of Galchenyuk if you don't mind?

Old
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
1. Draft Grigorenko
2. Buy out Gomez
3. Trade Eller and Desharnais for a BIG winger
4. Sign Parise
5. Win the Stanley Cup
I think you missed a few steps. One of which is to fix that god awful defense or we're not going anywhere even if we have some firepower upfront.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:48 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

That does not mean he is the same player as Plekanec who is much smarter both ways and better in the faceoff circle.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:49 AM
BJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I would move Desharnias at wing. Let's be realistic, Desharnais surprised us but he's not a top center you can win with. I think he's better suited for the wing going forward.
My comment has nothing to with this thread and everything to do with your avatar. It just made me think that during that particular brawl, when Cary had TT dead-to-rights he chose to not bash his face in. It's pretty clear that he respects Thomas (if anyone saw them chatting at the ASG), and it was certainly the gentlemanly and sportsman thing to do. But just think...if it were Patrick and Osgood? Price could have seriously and - in the context of the moment - fairly injured TT. No cup in Boston, and our run last year? who knows?

I'm not advocating injuring players just to gain an advantage (though after Chara on Max, I think I would have run Chara over in my car if I saw him on the street...), but it is one of those 'what if?' scenarios.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Madevilz

Man all this talk about Grig... If the Habs start winning again and we end up drafting at 8th or 9th, id be pisssssssed

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Failing Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
DD and Weber wouldn't get us anything.
DD is our point leader right now. If he has another season that he's on pace for 60+ points, guarantee we can fetch a big top 6 winger for him if we package a Weber or someone like that with him.

I'm sure there are team's out there that will be looking for Desharnais' skill set.

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Center depth is a good thing.

You cannot trade Plekanec. The only bright spot this year is our PK. Plekanec, along with Gorges and Gill, was the main reason behind that PK percentage. He's having a down year offensively, he'll get around 50-55 points, but we're 15th in the league, we're not a good team right now and it reflects on our best players. Cole, Pacioretty and Desharnais are having good seasons, but yet Plekanec is only a few points back of them.

He's -18 this year, but he plays all the tough matchups and usually big minutes. His wingers have been shuffled all year and he played with bottom liners for at least half of the games.

I think Desharnais has moved in front of Eller for now for the second top 6 centre spot, but I believe Eller will be the better player in the long term. Desharnais is three years older and more mature. His line has proven they can be consistent together and they should stay together next year barring trades/injuries. Eller should remain the third line centre next year and keep getting defensive assignments. Yet, the third line could perhaps be a more offensive line if somebody like Gallagher makes the team next year. Leblanc will also most probably make the team out of camp and I doubt they'll give him fourth line minutes.

If we do get Galchenyuk or Grigorenko, they'll have to impress at camp. If they can start outplaying Eller for the third line spot, they'll get a 9-game look before the team makes a decision. Perhaps then they might make a trade involving Desharnais, Eller or Plekanec but even then, I don't see it happening. They'll convert Desharnais or Eller to wing before it happens. Personally, I'd rather they convert Desharnais. Eller has undeniable centre qualities that must be fully exploited. Desharnais' skillset wouldn't be lost if he converted to winger, imo.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote