Old
02-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartguy View Post
Oilers fan coming in peace, how did Gilbert look tonight? Some on the oiler board are saying not good but that could be due to being stunned you have been traded, traveling to a new city and wearing a new jersey all in 24 hrs
He looked like someone who just got here 24 hours ago.

Gonna give him some time to gel with the system and his new team mates before I start making and judgments.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:08 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
He looked like someone who just got here 24 hours ago.
So did the rest of the team.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
So did the rest of the team.
No the rest of the team look like they all just woke up 3 hours before with a big hangover. Except Palmieri. Damn I can't wait to see that kid start hitting the back of the net.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:31 AM
mnwild

vCash: 125
land parise and suter and ill be happppy

mnwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Smartguy

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
What are the Oilers folks' thoughts on Schultzy?
Has not played yet should find out tonight against the blues

Smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:41 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
So last night was, uh, interesting around here?

Anyway, as for the game; an expected *** kicking. I thought the team as whole played well at times but soon after that the Kings seemed to put one home relatively easily and more or less shoved it down the team's throat. And that happened in multiple different stretches. Then both teams went into pack it in mode. Glad I left after the second.

As for Gilbert, he had a rough go of it. Especially early. After two different turnovers in the neutral zone by the forwards, he was caught being lazy by not pressing up the ice. When he tried to make up for that and close his gap at the blue line, he was easily blown by. Those two plays were my biggest issue with him. He did settle in and play better as the game went on but, meh, we'll see. As for the goal he was out there for, that's not at all on him. Scandella needs to make a better (and quicker) decision there as you can see what happens when you turn it over in a scenario like that.

I will say this, I'm not as big of Palmieri fan as some are. He's got some size and his top gear is pretty strong for his frame but I just don't see a lot there. Especially in terms of hockey sense and hands. To me it's a tad like watching Gillies play. He can skate with the puck better but I just don't see the decision making. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, though.

Rough, rough game for Falk. This kid can find some sort of consistency any day now.

Pretty sure the "fourth line" has now become the team's third line.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Palmieri could be like Gillies, but so far I've seen him actually be somewhat of a threat. Haven't seen enough plays with the puck to call him a top sixer, but I think he can be a good big forward who can crash the net on the 3rd/4th line. Certainly another thing the team needs.

The Gilbert goal wasn't as bad as it seemed. Scandella was expecting him to cover the backdoor while Gilbert was expecting (the better play) of reversing it behind the net. Systems and communication aren't there yet. It sucks, but not indicative of future disaster. If that play happens again in October, I'll be upset.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Palmieri could be like Gillies, but so far I've seen him actually be somewhat of a threat. Haven't seen enough plays with the puck to call him a top sixer, but I think he can be a good big forward who can crash the net on the 3rd/4th line. Certainly another thing the team needs.

The Gilbert goal wasn't as bad as it seemed. Scandella was expecting him to cover the backdoor while Gilbert was expecting (the better play) of reversing it behind the net. Systems and communication aren't there yet. It sucks, but not indicative of future disaster. If that play happens again in October, I'll be upset.
Further on the Gilbert point, Yeo noticed the bad communication/chemistry between Gilbert and Scandella and immediately flipped back to the Scandella-Spurgeon pairing because they know where the other will be all the time.

LA's "offensive outburst" wasn't nearly as "dominant" as the score indicates. The first goal was a fluke deflection. A pure garbage goal where it's hard to put much blame on anyone. The second goal was a "pre-season game" type miscommunication. Blame Scandella for the bad touch on the puck, but he thought Gilbert would do one thing and Gilbert thought Scandella would do another. The third goal Falk (it was Falk and not Foster right?) couldn't decide where to go and got caught in no-man's land against Kopitar and Brown somehow squeezed a pass through an opening maybe half an inch larger than the puck. I don't remember the fourth goal too clearly because I had started doing other things with just the game on in the background at that point.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

1st goal I blame Scandy more than others would. He should have been moving that guy. But it's still a very strange goal, a deflection that far out.

2nd goal, re-watching, Scandy should have seen Gilbert go behind the net yet still dumped it up the boards. Just a really bad decision, new player or not. Gilbert clearly had no clue where to be but that's understandable. Whatever, write it off.

3rd goal, just crap gap control by Prosser and Falk giving it about 5%. Wish he was Houston-eligible, he's just been awful lately.

4th goal Christensen just didn't puck up his man out front. Prosser didn't do much defending the pass, but EC clearly left his guy with a freebie.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
nickschultzfan

Christensen is so freaking worthless. OMG is he just terrible.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He made a nice play in the O zone, maybe on the PP, then screwed with the puck too long and got picked/turnover. That's about it.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
MrHockey80

devils fan for almost 30 years watched your game last night and thought I'd give you a little insight into what you have in Nick Palmieri

I will tell you J Lemaire loved this kid last year and as you know JL usually has little or no faith in rookies

When asked after one presser why Palmieri was the only rookie seeing significant icetime on a top line
JL responded "because he does not play like a rookie"

This kid will work hard every game has an extrmely hard shot that he gets off quick and most importantly will provide traffic in front of the net

He has very good hockey IQ as I'm sure you have seen already and will play in the traffic areas

Last year 5 of his 9 goals were game winning or game tying in only 43 games

I have seen all the NJ power forwards come and go down the years and IMO this kid will be a gem

I hated this trade but Lou has done it before and will do it again trading away special players

http://thedevilsden30.wordpress.com/...nick-palmieri/

Have not liked what I have seen
in MZ so far hope he gets better

Last edited by MrHockey80: 02-29-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: forgot to add this http://thedevilsden30.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/the-2010-2011-player-review-nick-palmieri/
MrHockey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Thanks for the report. I miss Lemaire.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:14 PM
mnwildgophers

I know Casey Wellman would probably still be on the Aeros if we had not made the Christensen trade, but my god there's no way he's a worse hockey player than Christensen is. The only thing the guy is good at is shootouts.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
We were told that EC is absolutely useless if he's not in top-6, and that's what he's been. I'm not saying, though, that he'd be any better in top-6, but still nothing unexpected has happened.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I know Casey Wellman would probably still be on the Aeros if we had not made the Christensen trade, but my god there's no way he's a worse hockey player than Christensen is. The only thing the guy is good at is shootouts.
I at least noticed Wellman when he was on the ice.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:50 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I at least noticed Wellman when he was on the ice.
I notice EC, it's just usually for bad things.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote