HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lavi Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 12:11 PM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I have an isles friend who said enjoy your 3 years with Lavi when we got him. Basically said he gets tuned out after 3, short term boon guy. Same thing happened in Car.
If we are going to do it, this offeseason is a good time with Carlyle available. If Tor doesn't make it Wilson might get the axe and maybe he goes there?
He got tuned out sooner then that here. We got rid of a bunch of players that did that and now it seems a lot of these players are doing the same.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
He got tuned out sooner then that here. We got rid of a bunch of players that did that and now it seems a lot of these players are doing the same.
lol. like who?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Last year at around this time NYR fans were hurling many of the same criticisms at Torts. They were actually far more critical. Things are working out pretty well for him now, I'd say.

Lavi has done a great job with a lot of rookies playing in front of a lost goaltender, after losing the invaluable presence of Pronger. Yeah, he's been doing questionable things, and there might be a couple people on the staff who could stand to be thrown into the fire...but overall I'd say he's done a fine job this season.

02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

yep. consitering anything I find it hard to be critical of Laviollete overall. I think every coach makes mistakes during the season where there is a knee jerk reaction. No Pronger, inconsistant goaltending, a ton of rookies and they have a shot at home ice in round 1.
Hes done a good job. IMO

Old
02-29-2012, 07:34 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I was going to add this to the GDT but it belongs here, really.

Sooner or later, when a team:

- cannot muster back to back good games,

- heck, when a team cannot muster back to back good periods,

- when they are consistently outworked,

- when they cannot connect on simple passes,

- when they give up odd man rushes ad nauseum,

- when they get few or none themselves,

the coaching must be questioned. It cannot be ignored any longer.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:53 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

But with John Stevens it was all the player AMIRITE?

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:45 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Hard to blame Lavi, considering this is pretty much what was to be expected this season (minus the God awful goaltending).

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yep. consitering anything I find it hard to be critical of Laviollete overall. I think every coach makes mistakes during the season where there is a knee jerk reaction. No Pronger, inconsistant goaltending, a ton of rookies and they have a shot at home ice in round 1.
Hes done a good job. IMO
I agree with that.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:50 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Hard to blame Lavi, considering this is pretty much what was to be expected this season (minus the God awful goaltending).
I concur, I feel that it's an entire team problem. If the team wasn't overhauled during the offseason I would say Lavi is more to blame, but with new players and injuries and inconsistent play it feels like it's an entire team let down. Maybe the staff around him needs to be changed and just keep Lavi.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

Nobody is really ignoring it. There's only so much that can be done with a team in a transition year. ranger fans wanted torts head last year, now they're all happy. Lavi has done a good job, this team has exceeded expectations almost all season. Problem is, we depended heavily on rookies and now they're slowing down.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:50 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Last year at around this time NYR fans were hurling many of the same criticisms at Torts. They were actually far more critical. Things are working out pretty well for him now, I'd say.

Lavi has done a great job with a lot of rookies playing in front of a lost goaltender, after losing the invaluable presence of Pronger. Yeah, he's been doing questionable things, and there might be a couple people on the staff who could stand to be thrown into the fire...but overall I'd say he's done a fine job this season.
I see you worship R'hilror.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Go For It

Quote:

Wait...wasn't it the players fault last time around?

What changed?

And still waiting for your list of available coaches that could do better.

Last edited by Go For It: 02-29-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Changed to "available" coaches.
Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:57 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I see you worship R'hilror.
hahaha

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

What changed?

And still waiting for your list of coaches that could do better.

This. Can we make a rule that nobody responds to JXC until we see a list?

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:

its the players fault in LA.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:29 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:

What changed?

And still waiting for your list of coaches that could do better.

Good luck with that.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Nobody is really ignoring it. There's only so much that can be done with a team in a transition year. ranger fans wanted torts head last year, now they're all happy. Lavi has done a good job, this team has exceeded expectations almost all season. Problem is, we depended heavily on rookies and now they're slowing down.
Funny, when the rookies were performing well, it was Lavi Lavi Lavi's doing a great job great job great job with the rookies rookies rookies. Now that they have slowed well they're an albatross and that's just the way it goes and Lavi might as well be a coat rack in their lives.

And you spend a lot of time moaning and gnashing in the GDTs for a guy who wasn't expecting much this year.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Nothing wrong with Laviolette, other than maybe he doesn't trust the first year players enough. He overplayed Giroux a lot earlier in the year, but that seems to have calmed down.

Fact is, Laviolette has done a fantastic job in terms of keeping the environment competitive while having to develop anywhere from 5 to 7 rookies on any given night. No other coach in the NHL has had that number of rookies in their lineup and have kept their team at or above .500.

Starting next year though, the defensive side of the game needs to be worked on. I get that playing run and gun gets everyone into the game and gets the kids used to the flow of the NHL game, but he really needs to come up with a defensive scheme that everyone understands. It's clear that the rooks just don't understand what's being asked of them defensively.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:45 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
No it was system

Quote:
And still waiting for your list of available coaches that could do better.
How about Ted Nolan?

He tooks the Islanders to the playoffs, you know

Old
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Starting next year though, the defensive side of the game needs to be worked on. I get that playing run and gun gets everyone into the game and gets the kids used to the flow of the NHL game, but he really needs to come up with a defensive scheme that everyone understands. It's clear that the rooks just don't understand what's being asked of them defensively.
He's letting them run wild this year so he can tamp down all the resultant bad habits next year.

You're reaching.

Last edited by SnS: 02-29-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Funny, when the rookies were performing well, it was Lavi Lavi Lavi's doing a great job great job great job with the rookies rookies rookies. Now that they have slowed well they're an albatross and that's just the way it goes and Lavi might as well be a coat rack in their lives.

And you spend a lot of time moaning and gnashing in the GDTs for a guy who wasn't expecting much this year.

Notice WHO I'm "moaning" about. Let me spell it out carefully for you: It isn't the ****ing rookies. It's the vets who were supposed to be stepping up and aren't. Coburn...Carle...Bryz...Briere...Giroux. Etc.

And yeah. That is how it works. Lavi did a great job getting the most out of the rookies. However, there's this concept you might have heard of once or twice: The rookie wall. Our guys have hit it. It's an issue. There is not a single coach on earth that can overcome it without using witchcraft or illegal substances. However, Lavi has done a really good job of keeping Couturier effective by limiting his minutes. Read has been an issue though, because he was relied on heavily and was actually a pretty important player. He has now dropped off and nobody has stepped in to take over. It doesn't matter who the coach is, if you're playing 7 rookies in the NHL and most of them are worn out they are an albatross and there's only so much that can be done about it.

Now...question: Why is it that suddenly you consider coaching to be so important? I thought it was no big deal. Are you bitter that your little favorite was fired?

Who do you propose should take Lavi's place? Who would do a better job with a young group loaded with rookies, who lost Pronger and have to deal with a bad goaltender? Why do you refuse to answer that question? Is it because you know you're wrong? Or is it because you have no answer and you're just trolling everyone here?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:14 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:

To your points:

I disagree completely with the items I placed in bold. The Flyers are not outworked on a consistent basis, they do get their fair share of odd-man rushes, and they often have good back-to-back periods (it's a 60 minute effort or an all three period effort that is noticeable some nights).

I am more concerned with the slow starts. Eight straight games allowing the first goal isn't entirely on the goaltender; if the team isn't prepared to go at puck drop, there's a reason to look at the coaching staff. 0.500 hockey, played with inconsistent play on a game-by-game basis, is concerning, as well.

The inability to connect on simple passes can't, in any way, be blamed on the coach. That's squarely on the player. Sadly these boneheaded passes often result in the odd-man rushes you mention, as well.

Generally:

Lavi has done a great job with his resources this season, in my opinion. With the large amount of turnover in the off-season, many people were expecting a team that would struggle to reach the playoffs. Up to this point, the playoffs haven't really been in doubt... and 0.500 hockey the rest of the way will almost certainly get them there, though it will be frustrating to watch if they continue in this direction.

The Flyers, for whatever reason, have always had a poor stretch around/after the all-star break. It's more annoying than concerning, given that it happens no matter the roster or the coaching staff. It's also not unique to the Flyers; the Bruins & Sharks, for example, are struggling to play motivated hockey now, too. 'Playoff' hockey usually starts in the last 15 games of the season, so we'll how this young team handles the pressure of the stretch drive.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 02-29-2012 at 02:14 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Broad Street Elite

For a team with many very, very young players and several older players, this is easily the toughest part of the season. You work through it and get playing your best hockey over the next month.

Obviously we need to be playing better right now, but much more importantly we need to be peaking in a month.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I am more concerned with the slow starts. Eight straight games allowing the first goal isn't entirely on the goaltender; if the team isn't prepared to go at puck drop, there's a reason to look at the coaching staff.
I agree on this point and it is the worst thing that can happen is playing from behind early and often coupled with partial success holding a lead that is not 5 goals up.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
He's letting them run wild this year so he can tamp down all the resultant bad habits next year.

You're reaching.
Actually, it's pretty genius to be playing run and gun hockey. Everyone gets into the lineup, everyone gets ice time and more important, the first year players get acclimated to the game much quicker. When it comes time to clamp down, the chances are there won't be a revolt like there was under Hitchcock. Remember that revolt that took place? Exactly. I think Laviolette has done something smart by keeping the environment loose and fun for the first year players and I'm sure some of the veterans are enjoying the run and gun that's being used. The only reason it looks so bad is because nobody expected Bryzgalov to be as terrible as he has been.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote