HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 07:57 AM
yianik

vCash: 500
There are people on the list that are interesting as they have connections to the Habs past. However Im at a point where I think a complete break from our glorious past is needed. I dont want anymore GMs that get rid of players because they dishonour the C because they show immaturity in their personal conduct, we dont live in the 60s or 70s, younger guys are more casual and laid back and dont conform as they once did . We have lost too many assets because of this . I guess Roy doesnt fit this concern because he was the Habs biggest error in moving a player for poor conduct, a 10 second meltdown. Also need a GM who thinks trades are a last resort and to be taken as a serious failure. While the GM must support the coach he also needs to be clear the coach must maximize the potential of the players he has, we lost alot of players recently because since they didnt fit JMs pigeon hole system, he wouldnt play them so the GM had no choice other than to trade them. Of course since they were seen as problems they were being played sparingly or not in their proper role so we couldnt get much for them. Horrible asset management. The coach needs to buy into a rebuid program and that means being assured of job security, so that he is patient with young players. Coach must cater the system to the strenghts of the team, not try to impose a system regardless of what we have ie JM ( smart coach, just way too rigid and intolerant ). Coach needs to be experienced, weve gone down the rookie coach route too often and it doesnt work.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
GoHomez

I'm on the last couple of pages of Ken Dryden's The Game and, well, I can't stop thinking that he in theory would make a terrific GM. On the other hand, I thought Gainey's resume was proof enough he'd be succesful in Montreal as well.

I assume Dryden is just about as unrealistic as a candidate can be, but wouldn't he be perfect?
Or I am missing something?
I know he was part of the Leafs mgmt for a while but I'd like to think he made his mistakes there, and learned a whole lot from it.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Andy

All I want is a coach who is able to implement a system which exploits his players assets and a coach which is able to adjust his system mid-game when it doesn't appear to be working.

No more fitting players into the vision of their coach. This didn't work in LA under Murray and it didn't work in Montreal under Martin and now RC. I want a guy who is able to take what he has and work with it and get the best out his players. I don't think this is impossible. Bylsma is able to do it, Laviolette is able to do it and Hitchcock's return to the nhl has shown that he is able to it.

Of course this needs to be balanced out, but at the moment we haven't had a coach like this is a while.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:42 AM
EmelinHipCheck

That Swiss dude as GM, Brisebois as assistant GM. Roy as coach, Ladouceur and any of Roy's assistants as assistant coach. Players will be scared ****less.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
I'm on the last couple of pages of Ken Dryden's The Game and, well, I can't stop thinking that he in theory would make a terrific GM. On the other hand, I thought Gainey's resume was proof enough he'd be succesful in Montreal as well.

I assume Dryden is just about as unrealistic as a candidate can be, but wouldn't he be perfect?
I know he was part of the Leafs mgmt for a while but I'd like to think he made his mistakes there, and learned a whole lot from it.

We need to stay away from the Drydens of the world. He's in the Gainey/Gauthier club of pontificating bags of wind. Never saw a word he didn't like. Lots of ideas about the game, little real world pragmatism.

I should disclose that Ken was at one time long ago a favouite of mine, but my opinion of Dryden took a hit when he became president of The Leafs. When he joined the Liberal Party of Canada he became nauseating and unbearable.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:58 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
There are people on the list that are interesting as they have connections to the Habs past. However Im at a point where I think a complete break from our glorious past is needed. I dont want anymore GMs that get rid of players because they dishonour the C because they show immaturity in their personal conduct, we dont live in the 60s or 70s, younger guys are more casual and laid back and dont conform as they once did . We have lost too many assets because of this . I guess Roy doesnt fit this concern because he was the Habs biggest error in moving a player for poor conduct, a 10 second meltdown. Also need a GM who thinks trades are a last resort and to be taken as a serious failure. While the GM must support the coach he also needs to be clear the coach must maximize the potential of the players he has, we lost alot of players recently because since they didnt fit JMs pigeon hole system, he wouldnt play them so the GM had no choice other than to trade them. Of course since they were seen as problems they were being played sparingly or not in their proper role so we couldnt get much for them. Horrible asset management. The coach needs to buy into a rebuid program and that means being assured of job security, so that he is patient with young players. Coach must cater the system to the strenghts of the team, not try to impose a system regardless of what we have ie JM ( smart coach, just way too rigid and intolerant ). Coach needs to be experienced, weve gone down the rookie coach route too often and it doesnt work.
With the exception of Gainey, we did have a break from the past. I'm all for hiring the best candidates, but I have a desire to see a group take over that has ties to the organization. Robinson, Roy, etc. may be what's best for the organization. If I can watch a game and say that the players tried their best and that ice time was a reward, not a right, I'd be happy. Any coach that can provide that and not embarrass himself or the organization, will be fine by me

Old
02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Replace Gainey by Serge Savard
Replace Gauthier by Vincent Damphousse (a guy like Savard is essential with a rookie GM IMO)
Replace Cunneyworth by Patrick Roy

Old
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
ghozzt

Patrick Roy as coach and Julien Brisebois as GM...and were set for the next 10 years

Old
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing View Post
That Swiss dude as GM, Brisebois as assistant GM. Roy as coach, Ladouceur and any of Roy's assistants as assistant coach. Players will be scared ****less.
del curto?

he'd be a one man-show, like he is now. i doubt he leaves davos, but if he did, i'd be all over him like a cheap suit

Old
02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Here is my outside the box suggestion.

Poach Don Maloney out of Phoenix with the offer of a lot more money and the chance to work with a cap budget. If possible poach Tippet too. Those two have Phoenix contending for the playoffs each year on a shoe-string budget. And there isn't any ownership that controls them to block this sort of thing.

Sort of like getting Martin out of Florida or Toronto getting Burke out of Anahiem.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:17 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
I'm on the last couple of pages of Ken Dryden's The Game...
Not GM, but definitely in the org. I am shocked that he's not an advisor or even President. He's a little too old to be a full-on GM, but he is highly intelligent/well read, has a hockey mind and would have a great presence in the org. I agree about the Gainey part too.

About Del Curto, the guy is crazy, but yea I'd give him a shot on a 1-year deal. On second thought I remembered this. Forget French. His English might need some work.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Not GM, but definitely in the org. I am shocked that he's not an advisor or even President. He's a little too old to be a full-on GM, but he is highly intelligent/well read, has a hockey mind and would have a great presence in the org. I agree about the Gainey part too.
I wouldn't be opposed to Dryden as a member of the organization in some capacity. Smart man with great poise. I know people don't like Gainey and that's fine, but if we do remove Gainey as an advisor I think Dryden would be a new voice with a similar level of respect and knowledge in the organization.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:10 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
All I want is a coach who is able to implement a system which exploits his players assets and a coach which is able to adjust his system mid-game when it doesn't appear to be working.

No more fitting players into the vision of their coach. This didn't work in LA under Murray and it didn't work in Montreal under Martin and now RC. I want a guy who is able to take what he has and work with it and get the best out his players. I don't think this is impossible. Bylsma is able to do it, Laviolette is able to do it and Hitchcock's return to the nhl has shown that he is able to it.

Of course this needs to be balanced out, but at the moment we haven't had a coach like this is a while.
Holy ****. Someone must have hacked into Andy's account and stole his password. He actually said what I have been saying about Martin for the last two years........and he used to dismiss talk like that from anyone.

Glad to see you come around Andy. And I agree 100% with what you said regarding what makes a coach a great coach.......adapting his strategy to his players strengths.

Welcome to the dark side.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:12 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
del curto?

he'd be a one man-show, like he is now. i doubt he leaves davos, but if he did, i'd be all over him like a cheap suit
del Curto would be the man for coach. He is amazing with his coaching talents and his ability to get players to excel above their potential.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

You know, Jacques Martin might still have a shot at getting the job back. He has a way of coming back from the dead.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
You know, Jacques Martin might still have a shot at getting the job back. He has a way of coming back from the dead.
You should be banned for a month for saying that.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
CaptCrunch

I say we take a page out of the islander's playbook and promote Gomez GM. One way to remove our salary cap problem... (!)

Old
02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
Replace Gainey by Serge Savard
Replace Gauthier by Vincent Damphousse (a guy like Savard is essential with a rookie GM IMO)
Replace Cunneyworth by Patrick Roy
I think that would be horrible.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
I say we take a page out of the islander's playbook and promote Gomez GM. One way to remove our salary cap problem... (!)
Best idea I've heard in a while. Appoint Kaberle as his European pro scout, and if they want to be generous they could offer Campoli a job as assistant to the traveling secretary.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Dryden hates grit. He wants fighting taken out of hockey. Next!

Old
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
WhiskeySeven

I want an established GM or recent former GM with ties around the league. Definitely not someone like Damphousse, you need a leader but also someone who is smart and professional and calculating.

Gauthier has the last three characteristics, unfortunately he never seemed like much of a leader - I see him more like a president/chairman kinda guy.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Here is my outside the box suggestion.

Poach Don Maloney out of Phoenix with the offer of a lot more money and the chance to work with a cap budget. If possible poach Tippet too. Those two have Phoenix contending for the playoffs each year on a shoe-string budget. And there isn't any ownership that controls them to block this sort of thing.

Sort of like getting Martin out of Florida or Toronto getting Burke out of Anahiem.
I'd love Maloney, as long as he keeps Timmins in charge of amateur scouting. Phoenix's drafting has been terrible, but their choices at the pro level have been great.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:58 PM
onice

Listening to TSN 990 I heard Tony say that Igor Kravchuk lives in Montreal. That led me to thinking - always a dangerous thing.

For the assistant coaches why don't the Habs go a different route. Hire some European coaches. Those teams are winning their share of championships so the coaches over there must be doing something right. And I'll bet we'll find more competent coaches over there speaking French then we do from outside Quebec.

There are a handful of North American coaches who speak French and meet the other requirements. Why not add to that list by interviewing the top European coaches?

Old
02-29-2012, 02:01 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Listening to TSN 990 I heard Tony say that Igor Kravchuk lives in Montreal. That led me to thinking - always a dangerous thing.

For the assistant coaches why don't the Habs go a different route. Hire some European coaches. Those teams are winning their share of championships so the coaches over there must be doing something right. And I'll bet we'll find more competent coaches over there speaking French then we do from outside Quebec.

There are a handful of North American coaches who speak French and meet the other requirements. Why not add to that list by interviewing the top European coaches?
Because we're a political team. We have to have a french coach no matter how many better coaches there are out there. Duh.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Great interview by Tony with Blair MacKasey. I liked him before, but if the guy is not a candidate, Molson is an idiot.

Closed Thread