HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Going into the playoffs: Are you comfortable with Brian Boyle?

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 12:13 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Very fair point... just wish their production was higher.
I think we all do. Again, I have a feeling we'll be seeing Boyle, Prust, and Dubi chipping in with some goals in the playoffs, when things get more physical.

RANGERS =
Old
02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
bogans

Quote:
Your third line players should have more than 14 goals combined through 61 games. That's atrocious.
I could not give a flying ***** if the third line never scores, they are playing 95% of the time against the best line of the other team. And their job is to shut them down, not necessarily to create chances themselves. They do create chances and have been snake bitten. I hope they start finishing some of those, but if they end up even or plus playing against the other team's top line, which they almost ALWAYS do, I am totally satisfied wit htheir performance. One of the best checking lines in the game.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:24 PM
MSG the place to be*

On Kreider...

Adjusting to the NHL isn't hard. Just tell the kid to always go forward with the puck, hunt it down in the offensive zone, and stay in front of the opposition when we don't have the puck.

You ease him into it and see how comfortable he is. Is he just out there or are his linemates using him and is he getting himself involved? It's not that complicated.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
I could not give a flying ***** if the third line never scores, they are playing 95% of the time against the best line of the other team. And their job is to shut them down, not necessarily to create chances themselves. They do create chances and have been snake bitten. I hope they start finishing some of those, but if they end up even or plus playing against the other team's top line, which they almost ALWAYS do, I am totally satisfied wit htheir performance. One of the best checking lines in the game.
People want to constantly forget that part of the job that these guys do. Boyle is a perfect fit on this team. If this was a high flying offensive run and gun team that paid little attention to defense and most of the attention to offense, then I would have a problem with BB as our 3rd line center however, that is not the case.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:34 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I am extremely comfortable with Boyle. He was a monster in the playoffs last season with Prust. His size is effective over a long series.

Not sure what people are expecting from a bottom-6 center?
This.

Sure he had a fluke year last year and is not even close to that production now, but I don't see what's wrong with a big guy like him in a playoff series. I would have rather had Gaustad center that line, but not at cost he went for.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Sure he had a fluke year last year and is not even close to that production now, but I don't see what's wrong with a big guy like him in a playoff series.
Again, the playoffs are a physical, tight checking, low scoring affairs. Where in this scenario does Boyle not fit in?

Old
02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Fine, if you think its okay to have to rely on two lines to score every night, then so be it. Go back and look at all the cup winners post lockout. They all had third lines that could actually produce offense. And you can call it "snake bitten" but what it really is is poor offensive skills.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Again, the playoffs are a physical, tight checking, low scoring affairs. Where in this scenario does Boyle not fit in?
Boyle may not have figured out how to use his 6'7 frame 100% effectively but that doesn't mean he can't play physically. His job as a 3rd line center is to engage in a tight checking match and keep the opposing teams top line off the score sheet, and as a penalty killer his job is the same. He seems to fit the bill pretty well to me.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
He doesn't fit in the scenario when the other team plays our top two lines tight and we need our third line to come up with a goal.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
bogans

Quote:
Fine, if you think its okay to have to rely on two lines to score every night, then so be it. Go back and look at all the cup winners post lockout. They all had third lines that could actually produce offense. And you can call it "snake bitten" but what it really is is poor offensive skills.
Please refer to line matching concepts in hockey. Third lines are called checking lines for a reason. When you go against the other teams top line almost every shift, shutting them down is more than sufficient, scoring is not expected. And offensive skill is not what always scores goals. Hard forechecking and possession in the offensive zone lead to garbage goals. And though many of these opportunities have presented themselves to all three of these guys in virtually every game, they have had trouble finishing them. I call this snake bitten, and I also call this an opportunity to get really hot if some of those start going in.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:50 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Huh?

I said im perfectly comfortable with him.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:00 PM
OverTheCap

I already get the feeling that if our top 6 falters in the playoffs because they are being shut down or are being outmuscled (a legit concern for the top line), and Boyle's line is getting opportunities but can't score, Boyle and his linemates are going to take more heat than the top 6.

There have been games this season where Boyle's line have had better puck possession and opportunities than our top 6. Unfortunately, they don't have the hands of Gaborik, so they aren't going to score that often. Yes, it's frustrating that Boyle has hands of stone, but he's doing good things out there other than scoring and he always puts in a 100% effort. I almost wish last season never happened because now it seems like the expectations for him are too high.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
I am comfortable with him, yes. Torts loves him, and seems to be able to draw more out of him than anyone thought he had. I think he'll step up come playoff time.
That's the key-Torts loves him. He's a great team guy who does a lot of the little things well. It would be nice to have a 3rd line center who provides a bit more offense through the course of a NHL season, but we're hitting the home stretch and the Rangers are made for the playoffs. It's all good.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
I understand that you like their performance but how many other checking lines have you focused on? They are not snake bitten; they are offensively retarded and that is fine for a 4th line; not a third line. 95% is also a little ridiculous as we do not get the last change on the road. You cannot have two lines that cannot score especially in the playoffs where you need to expose the other team's 3rd D pair.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
when we are one goal down in the 3rd period. Are we going to play 2 lines in that scenario?

Old
02-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I already get the feeling that if our top 6 falters in the playoffs because they are being shut down or are being outmuscled (a legit concern for the top line), and Boyle's line is getting opportunities but can't score, Boyle and his linemates are going to take more heat than the top 6.

There have been games this season where Boyle's line have had better puck possession and opportunities than our top 6. Unfortunately, they don't have the hands of Gaborik, so they aren't going to score that often. Yes, it's frustrating that Boyle has hands of stone, but he's doing good things out there other than scoring and he always puts in a 100% effort. I almost wish last season never happened because now it seems like the expectations for him are too high.
they have puck possession behind the net; news flash. The opening to the goal is in the front. If you cannot turn that into scoring chances in the slot they you are just killing time. Which again would be fine for a 4TH LINE.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
That's the key-Torts loves him. He's a great team guy who does a lot of the little things well. It would be nice to have a 3rd line center who provides a bit more offense through the course of a NHL season, but we're hitting the home stretch and the Rangers are made for the playoffs. It's all good.
You say KEY, I say PROBLEM. Torts' blind love of this guy has him getting way too much ice time.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
You say KEY, I say PROBLEM. Torts' blind love of this guy has him getting way too much ice time.
Could be worse though. At least he's not centering Gabby.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:38 PM
True Blue

Quote:
He doesn't fit in the scenario when the other team plays our top two lines tight and we need our third line to come up with a goal.
If you are relying on your 3rd line to lead the way with goals, in the playoffs, you are already in trouble.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Huh?

I said im perfectly comfortable with him.
Echoing your thoughts

Old
02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
True Blue

Quote:
when we are one goal down in the 3rd period. Are we going to play 2 lines in that scenario?
No, you are playing all of your lines and relying on your scorers to score.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
I disagree that it is blind love. He has helped turn Boyle into a very good center who shuts down the opponents' top lines on one of the best teams in hockey. He also steps up in the playoffs.

This whole team lacks high-octane offense. I challenge you to name a "3rd line center" who would shut down the opponents' top lines while providing significantly more offense than Boyle in this system.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Sky Valley

Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
I don't care what gets called the 3rd line or 4th line or whatever. But I am comfortable with him centering the checking line taking defensive zone draws against opponents' top lines.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I should preface this thread by saying: I like Brian Boyle. I think he is probably a nice guy, he works incredibly hard, and his teammates all seem to like him.

But going into the playoffs, do you guys feel uncomfortable with him as our third line center? Considering that Tortorella loves to roll three lines and play them interchangeably; is Boyle a strong enough center to be effective in the playoffs? Personally, I just don't see it.

I've always thought of him being a better fit as a 4th line winger (getting seven minutes a night), then as a shutdown defensive center. I think his general lack of skating speed as well as agility always seems to keep him a step or two behind the play. His wingers, Prust and Dubinsky, always seem to be carrying the workload, with Boyle just "kinda there".

I know he makes the occasional nice defensive play. But I think he just isn't built for being a center with his lack of foot speed. The center position requires a skater to cover a huge area very quickly(especially in the defensive zone). Perhaps they should move Dubi back to center, and switch Boyle to wing?

Dubinsky, at one time, was one of our best face-off guys. Perhaps it might help him considering he has been trying to be more of a playmaker as of late. Dubi also is just as good if not better than Boyle on defensive side of the puck.
What are the options?

02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think we all do. Again, I have a feeling we'll be seeing Boyle, Prust, and Dubi chipping in with some goals in the playoffs, when things get more physical.
This is a good point -- playoff games are quite different from regular season games. Boyle's physicality and defensive play are going to be quite valuable.

And go Ron Paul

Closed Thread