HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steen and Amac

Old
02-17-2012, 08:12 AM
stlweir

vCash: 500
Didn't John K say on the broadcast last night that Steen has skated with the team in the last two practices?

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Iron Fist
Steenie Bean-Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Didn't John K say on the broadcast last night that Steen has skated with the team in the last two practices?
Yes he did. I expect Steen back before the season ends. Bernie said he isn't having any set backs so that's good. I'm sure it will still be a while but I expect him back this season, but with concussions you never know...

Iron Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 03:58 PM
execwrite

Announcers said during the Winnipeg game Saturday that Steen is going to see the doctor in California that AMac saw. Steen having trouble with his vision.

Steen may not be back this year. Not good.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

any news on Steener?

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Steen is spending 2 weeks in California for treatment, so we will know more in about 1 1/2 weeks.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:29 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Does anyone know how sessions in a hyperbaric chamber helps a concussion? Pang has mentioned McDonald getting those treatments but I haven't heard him give details of how it helps.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:40 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22026588

I think its pretty experimental, with not much evidence at all showing that its going to make a difference. There are some risks with going into a hyperbaric chamber, depending on what exactly they're doing.

The above link was the closest thing I could find to any evidence of benefit from doing this.

I'm guessing, a professional athlete seeing multiple experts....someone suggested this MIGHT help and Steen decided to give it a try. Personally, I think this makes a lot more sense than seeing a chiropractor (like Crosby did).

Edit:
Just for clarity, the type of study linked above is a preliminary study you do when you want to see whether a treatment deserves to be studied formally. Its not meant to produce statistically relevant numbers....just more of a 'proof of concept' to obtain support for more meaningful studies.

This result looks somewhat promising, but the obvious glaring thing from first glance is that even though the guys showed some improvement....what improvement might they have had with doing nothing during that same interval? Maybe the chamber had nothing to do with it and it was just a matter of time. Also, at least one guy withdrew and they reported a few side effects that might not be trivial if you're the one experiencing them.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote