HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Penner's getting divorced. Related to his on-ice struggles?

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 11:23 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

vCash: 500
You'd think he'd be more angry on the ice though.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:27 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Who cares? Better yet, why should anyone care what is going on off the ice with regards to our players personal relationships? They are people who deserve the same amount of respect away from the game as any of us would demand. So Penner's alleged affair that was reported around here early this season is true, big deal.

I only hold him accountable for what he does on the ice. The reasons don't matter because I afford him the exact same privacy that I want. I only know or care who he is because he is a hockey player or more to the point, a king.

Best of luck to each of our players away from the game but when you put on that jersey I expect their best and give them mine in return.

This thread is a useless invasion of privacy and nothing more than gossipy nonsense to me.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Well that definitely explains his struggles. I feel bad for him now.
You're kidding, right?

Old
02-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Ok, so what was his problem last season? You're reaching folks!
You could argue it was the same problem as Richards. New system, new coach, new players, new team. Struggling to adapt to the vastly different styles of Edmonton to LA.

I agree though this isn't or shouldn't be the main reason for his struggles. But in all honesty it probably has effected him A LOT.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Who cares? Better yet, why should anyone care what is going on off the ice with regards to our players personal relationships? They are people who deserve the same amount of respect away from the game as any of us would demand. So Penner's alleged affair that was reported around here early this season is true, big deal.

I only hold him accountable for what he does on the ice. The reasons don't matter because I afford him the exact same privacy that I want. I only know or care who he is because he is a hockey player or more to the point, a king.

Best of luck to each of our players away from the game but when you put on that jersey I expect their best and give them mine in return.

This thread is a useless invasion of privacy and nothing more than gossipy nonsense to me.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

It's not an invasion of privacy, he's a public figure. I agree with the rest of your statement though, we all go through struggles in our lives. Most of the time that still means you have to roll out of bed when the alarm clock goes off and produce at your job or you'll get fired. Professional athletes should look at marriage like a car lease. Dustin had a 1 year lease, it's up and now it's time to look for a new model that gets better gas mileage and has heated seats.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
I'm still on my first wife, so I'm not sure how that all works
Isn't it time for you to get off now? She's got things to do and you're holding her down.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
I don't really like to get into these guys' personal lives, so I'll try to keep it to generalizations. Again, this is a generalization.

I think I posted something about how Canadian farm boys won't be able to handle life in LA, es. with a C-list actress/model wife with Hollywood dreams. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume they had to socialize in circles that were less than typical Canadian/American family-style. Not to say that lifestyle is all shady people, but a lot of it revolves around a**-kissing people and fakeness.

Quickie's wife: College/HS seethearts I think she's the daughter of his former coach or something. East coast hockey family.
Brownie's wife: Similar deal. Obviously not your Hollywood lady. More like soccer mom style lol

See the difference? Hockey players seem to need that down-to-earth wife. Especially as most are from middle of nowhere with snow lol.

I guess this is a thing because growing up in LA, many of us learned very quickly to stay away from Hollywood type women or women whose interest was being in those circles (unless of course you also want to be in those circles).

Anyway. I wish the best for Dustin. I almost want to see how he does after he gets over this.
Lets stop acting like the man is the victim. They are just as stupid as the women they marry.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Lets stop acting like the man is the victim. They are just as stupid as the women they marry.
HFboards reading comprehension? Never said/implied anyone is a victim.

FACT: If you grew up in LA or lived here long, you know that the situation I described to be fully plausible.

But do feel free to go Oprah on me if you wish

Old
02-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
HFboards reading comprehension? Never said/implied anyone is a victim.

FACT: If you grew up in LA or lived here long, you know that the situation I described to be fully plausible.

But do feel free to go Oprah on me if you wish
You don't have to live in LA to know what the city is filled with.

You just make it sound like some men are unaware of those kind of women. The fact is, the men know what they're getting into.

Of course every man wants a down to earth girl, it's no secret. good work, detective.

Last edited by Shellz: 02-29-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
bobafettish*

whos gonna make him pancakes now.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
whos gonna make him pancakes now.
Hopefully he gets involved with a fitness model.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:27 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Rumor has it he's been seeing someone named Jamima.

Ok, I can't believe I succumbed to that.
But that's his Aunt!

Old
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Fresh Prince
Go Red Wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
If a relationship breakup doesnt effect performance your not human.
Brodeur won a Cup while getting through a divorce.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
This could absolutely be what's causing his on ice struggles.

When you're having problems in your personal life, everything else can seem meaningless. It can suck the energy out of you.
This. I've had my fair share of marital problems. It really does impact your whole being.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
MollerManor

if I was playing pro hockey in the middle of my divorce, i would play just as awful as him too.

I am on tv and I watched back some episodes in the day and i ask myself "why do i look so depressed??"

then I go.. ahhhhhhh.... thats right.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
Nope. If his marriage is falling apart it explains his crappy play. But go ahead, continue to hate and be bitter about everything like you always do.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:53 PM
SLang

Quote:

Invasion of privacy or not, the question applies as far as it being an explanation to his on-ice performance. Like you said, I'm giving my all (my hard-earned cash), so should he, and the consensus seems to be that he has not. After that, in terms of the sordid details of whatever else is going on, I could give a rat's ass and don't care to know.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Nope. If his marriage is falling apart it explains his crappy play. But go ahead, continue to hate and be bitter about everything like you always do.
Dude, the guy had just gotten married a year ago when he was traded...I'm sure life was bliss around that time, yet the guy sucked harder. So, what was his excuse then?

These guys get paid millions of dollars, if you can't find a way to block out personal issues and do what you are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to do, then maybe you just aren't cut out for that type of job.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Johnny Utah

It's not like he's sitting at a desk alone to sulk either all day making 50K.

He's making 4+million, getting first class accommodations, surrounded by 29 other guys, swooned by women in 30 cities, and playing a sport. If he can't get it together I don't know what to say.

Dustin seems like a nice guy, but the reality is next year he will have to take a 1 year deal worth 1 million or less if he wants to play in the NHL for much longer.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:15 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Please keep the discussion focused on how this may affect his on-ice performance and not marriage or divorce in general, TMZ as a credible media source or other off-ice issues.

This thread probably won't last long as it is but we'll give it a go for a while longer.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:21 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
These guys get paid millions of dollars, if you can't find a way to block out personal issues and do what you are getting paid MILLIONS of dollars to do, then maybe you just aren't cut out for that type of job.
Easier said then done. Go through a divorce then post this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

He's making 4+million, getting first class accommodations, surrounded by 29 other guys, swooned by women in 30 cities, and playing a sport. If he can't get it together I don't know what to say.
Does it matter if you have a million women swooning you when the only one in the entire world you want is wanting to leave? Been through a divorce, all the friends and family support in the world does not mend a broken heart and to have to trudge into work isn't easy to do.

I'm not letting him off the hook at all, he still should have performed better, but at least it explains a lot.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:28 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Hopefully he gets involved with a fitness model.
Maybe Ziggy Palffy's ex is still available?

Old
02-29-2012, 02:29 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Quote:
Dude, the guy had just gotten married a year ago when he was traded...I'm sure life was bliss around that time, yet the guy sucked harder. So, what was his excuse then?

Just because you are highly compensated does not mean that you don't have a life away from work and a family. These things effect people pretty equally, regardless of their income or wealth.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
Just because you are highly compensated does not mean that you don't have a life away from work and a family. These things effect people pretty equally, regardless of their income or wealth.
Well now that we've established the problem, then I'm sure just about the entire roster has been dealing with a divorce this season.

Closed Thread