HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summers and Stone rating so far

Old
02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

vCash: 500
Summers and Stone rating so far

I've got to ask everyone their opinion on Mike Stone and Chris Summers, so far?

I think Summers has earned a spot for next season based upon his play and he comes cheap and I believe that Stone has been quiet and solid for the 11-13 mins he gets to play and he certainly hasn't embarrassed himself.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
hbk

I've been stating for weeks (months?) that Maloney needed to make room for Summers. He is ready to be a full time NHL'er.

Stone has gone from "also ran" to back into the equation. His biggest problem is organizational depth and the issue that he may be jumped in the queue by Rundblad and Gormely. Stone needs to differentiate himself by becoming a shock blocker, big shot from the point, or a physical presence. If he can do that he will find his niche and be a valuable asset.

The fact that we have paired Summers and Stone together during this latest run is amazing IMO. Two rookies playing well in limited minutes during a playoff drive. Great job by the organization.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:41 PM
kihekah19

I've been quite pleased with the performance of both thus far. I wouldn't go so far as to say Summers has earned a spot for next season, but I thought he wasn't quite ready when brought up and he's proved me wrong. As for Stone, I always felt he'd make it, but he's well ahead of where I would have put him, at this point and continues to grow with this call up.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:42 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I've been stating for weeks (months?) that Maloney needed to make room for Summers. He is ready to be a full time NHL'er.

Stone has gone from "also ran" to back into the equation. His biggest problem is organizational depth and the issue that he may be jumped in the queue by Rundblad and Gormely. Stone needs to differentiate himself by becoming a shock blocker, big shot from the point, or a physical presence. If he can do that he will find his niche and be a valuable asset.

The fact that we have paired Summers and Stone together during this latest run is amazing IMO. Two rookies playing well in limited minutes during a playoff drive. Great job by the organization.

Amazing and impressive.... should be everyones opinion!

Old
02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Weren't they paired together in the 'A'?
I'm not surprised by Summers, but I am about Stone, but then again I don't follow the AHL except occasionally looking up stats and reading blogs....

does give Maloney some leverage during the off season to make moves....

DesertDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I'm not surprised by Summers, but I am about Stone, but then again I don't follow the AHL except occasionally looking up stats and reading blogs....

No, they had never played together until the NHL.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:57 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post

I thought they saw a little ice time together, but it really doesn't matter... that's the AHL and these are kids.

The depth on the back end could certainly provide GMDM leverage.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:04 PM
XX
... Waiting

I like Summers, but Stone is a train wreck. They're also being sheltered a bit, as they should be. Maloney even said he thinks Goncharov is ready for some NHL time. What a mess. Hopefully they can clear out some space in the summer. Gormley is going to be ready.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:04 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
I've been quite pleased with the performance of both thus far. I wouldn't go so far as to say Summers has earned a spot for next season, but I thought he wasn't quite ready when brought up and he's proved me wrong. As for Stone, I always felt he'd make it, but he's well ahead of where I would have put him, at this point and continues to grow with this call up.
Summers has earned a roster spot for next year, IMO. At worst, I thought that we were getting someone for the 5/6 pairing. Summers actually has the potential to log the 3/4 minutes, but the problem (if this is really considered a problem)is that we have several D who can play those types of minutes.

Summers has looked very impressive, especially working down low in the corners. He really bodies players off very well. The first time I noticed it was the game against TB. As we started the comeback, Summers was really effective against Stamkos. He's continues that trend against players like the Sedins and others b/c he is a very good skater, with more offense than people realize (due to injuries, he had to play forward for Michigan his freshman year). I would rather keep Summers than Schlemko going forward, but I am also the guy who is in favor of trading Yandle for the right deal...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Summers > Morris

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Amazing and impressive.... should be everyones opinion!
Should be....but I seem to remember a lot of criticism when the recent scouting staff changes were made. I have no issues with their 'overall' draft production. Unfortunately they drafted a bunch of moral-midget forwards with some of their high draft picks who ran from hard work and/or turned their back on the organization. But overall the draft picks from the previous scouting team were above average IMO. You can look at the entire body of work, or like a lot seem to do, just focus on a few questionable picks and lambast the scouting group over those picks if you want.

If you want to see real bad drafting, it's in the Booby Smith era...the era that is more responsible than any other for setting the organization back 10 years. Fortunately we're finally benefitting from picks made after Booby was canned as GM.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I think Summers has been great. I would consider him NHL quality at this point. Some tough calls are going to have to be made when we're healthy again especially since the trade deadline has passed.

Stone has played well considering he's only played 5 NHL games. 5 NHL games in the middle of a crazy playoff race.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Should be....but I seem to remember a lot of criticism when the recent scouting staff changes were made. I have no issues with their 'overall' draft production. Unfortunately they drafted a bunch of moral-midget forwards with some of their high draft picks who ran from hard work and/or turned their back on the organization. But overall the draft picks from the previous scouting team were above average IMO. You can look at the entire body of work, or like a lot seem to do, just focus on a few questionable picks and lambast the scouting group over those picks if you want.

If you want to see real bad drafting, it's in the Booby Smith era...the era that is more responsible than any other for setting the organization back 10 years. Fortunately we're finally benefitting from picks made after Booby was canned as GM.
Yeah... I wrote a lot of nasty articles about Scott Kelman, Patrick Desrochers, and Dan Focht during that time.

We canned an entire scouting department on the basis of the 2004 draft that in hindsight was actually very good. Of course that's the same scouting department that walked out in protest at the 2003 draft (when we dealt all of our early picks).

I listened to the Rick Knickle interview again last night. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:52 PM
RafaNadal

Summers has been great. Stone has played well. I still think that Rundblad should get a chance to prove himself with the coyotes.

RafaNadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrollhunter View Post
Summers has been great. Stone has played well. I still think that Rundblad should get a chance to prove himself with the coyotes.
That's not the way we roll. Rundblad must prove he deserves a chance. Yandle, ELO, Summers have followed that model, I don't see why we should mess with the results it produces.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:05 PM
okiepig

Tip must have some faith in either Summers ability to cover for Stone by not breaking them up, or he has faith in Stone's ability - nevertheless it surprised me to see them paired.. for all the talk about Tip not wanting to give a rookie a chance putting them both on the ice paired up says a lot.
Actually I see this team pretty deep in defense for quite a while, despite my own and others rightfully trashing Demo's play in Dec, he was a beast once he got it back together up to this last mess in his life... long term I think he will be traded- we just have a good problem for once.
actually all considered, I saw nothing just horrible about Stone's effort in either game he has played..
Summers has earned the chance to become a regular (once Demo is moved) in my opinion..

okiepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Ive been pleased by how well theyve both played.

Summers: Im not surprised with but glad hes doing so well.

Stone: I have been surprised by how solidly hes played with his first taste of the nhl.

yandle-klesla
rozsival-summers
gormley-runbland

depth schlemko, stone and goncharov

of course morris is under contract so who knows where he fits in

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:15 PM
RafaNadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
Ive been pleased by how well theyve both played.

Summers: Im not surprised with but glad hes doing so well.

Stone: I have been surprised by how solidly hes played with his first taste of the nhl.

yandle-klesla
rozsival-summers
gormley-runbland

Your avatar says it all...

OEL?

RafaNadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrollhunter View Post
Your avatar says it all...

OEL?
I just realized who I left out and came back to fix it. Wow lets try again.

Yandle-klesla
oel-rozsival
gormley-summers

the rest

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
yandle-klesla
rozsival-summers
gormley-runbland

I doubt we resign Rozsival.

You forgot OEL, which is an honest mistake, just put him where Rozsival is. I don't think Gormley is going to make the team out of camp and there is absolutely no reason to believe he would actually beat Schlemko out of a spot.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
I just realized who I left out and came back to fix it. Wow lets try again.

Yandle-klesla
oel-rozsival
gormley-summers

the rest

It's getting harder isn't it?

Old
rt
Usually Incorrect

Let Aucoin and Roszival walk. Try to dump Morris.

Go young. Klesla is a vet and so is Yandle. Schlemko and Ekman-Larsson are close. Summers, Rundblad, and Stone are getting a ton of great experience. Gormley is a blue chipper. Between those eight, there is a solid blueline.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awfulwaffle

That's too bad, I really like Roszival. I honestly can't say anything bad about any of our D. I said it earlier in the season, Schlemko is a HUGE miss for us. He puts his body on the line to block shots, and is a very solid D man. I can't wait for him to come back.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I'm with everyone else that is shocked that Tipp has paired Summers and Stone together, granted they are only getting 12min of ice time, but in a playoff race, that is huge and he's not hurting himself any by his play.

I'm hoping that Rundblad can make the transition next season for the sole reason of improving our PP. Get Whitney off the point and put him down low or behind the net where he can make a play.

I think that Gormley will spend at least 1/2 the year in AHL, so at the beginning of next season I think these are the pairings.

Yandle/Aucoin (signs 1 yr contract)
OEL/Rundblad
Klesla/Summers
Schlemko

Stone has to wait 1 more year until Aucoin leaves...then he can take over Aucoin's spot and be paired with Yandle.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
They're also being sheltered a bit, as they should be.

True enough.... that's why I was surprised to see 'em on the pk last night.