Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 11:07 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Possible Trade Ideas v5

Continue.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-29-2012, 11:09 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Psh, what is this, only mods are motivated enough to make new threads?

Old
02-29-2012, 12:09 PM
mnwildgophers

The team has seen so much turnover in the last couple of days with the Zids, Schultz, and Zanon trades. 3/6 of our defense for the last couple of years is now gone. The culture is changing simply because we got rid of the players. Now, whether it's good trades or bad trades remains to be seen, but we will see a massive change in the number of players coming in. I think the trades that we will be seeing now won't have as big of a splash to them. Last summer, we acquired Heatley, Setoguchi, Coyle, and Phillips in "monster" deals.

As far as these deals go, I don't think we'll be involved in them anymore. I think we'll be staying the course with out prospects and we'll see some trades in the draft for movement, but I don't see a ton of player movement until our prospects come up, but I think we need to get some a veteran influence on the back-end with it being so inexperienced and such. I think that Foster will be gone, so that leaves us with a lot of different prospects and such, but I'm not sure that Tom Gilbert should be our only "vet" on the back-end. Who may be possible to trade for to help stabilize the blueline come draft time/FA? (assuming we miss out on Suter because this is very likely to happen)

Old
02-29-2012, 01:02 PM
nickschultzfan

I'm ignoring the 4th line or the bottom-pairing D, because frankly they don't really matter as we have many, many players who could fit there.

X - Koivu - Heatley
Y - Granlund - Setoguchi
Z - Brodziak - Clutterbuck

#1 - Gilbert
Scandella - Spurgeon

Needs: 1st line winger. 1 top-6 forward. 1 top-9 winger. 1 #1 Dman.

Notables left out: Cullen, Bouchard, Latendresse, Johnson, and Palmieri.

Of the notables left out, I don't see any of them being in the long-term plan, unfortunately. Cullen is gone the moment his contract is up, unless he's re-signed as a 4th line center. Bouchard is just too risky. Lats is close behind. Johnson might have the 3rd line role, but he could be passed at any minute, and then you just have a guy who doesn't really fit on the 4th line. The fact that Devils fans didn't care at all when Palmieri was traded should also be a sign.

Even factoring in the notables left out, assuming one of the injured guys can come back, and potential rookies, it's pretty clear how much a 1st line winger and a #1 Dman is needed

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 02-29-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wouldn't address a top line winger in UFA unless somebody's on the move. I.e. no Parise unless someone gets traded, like Heatley or Setoguchi. Don't want a LT roster spot being taken up with all the prospects. See how they develop, THEN fill holes.

#1, be it Suter or a trade, yes please.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:18 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wouldn't address a top line winger in UFA unless somebody's on the move. I.e. no Parise unless someone gets traded, like Heatley or Setoguchi. Don't want a LT roster spot being taken up with all the prospects. See how they develop, THEN fill holes.

#1, be it Suter or a trade, yes please.
I would say you have to pursue Parise regardless. If we manage to pick him up, sure, try trade someone out of the top 6 (Seto's the only real mobile piece unless you're counting on a healthy Lats). The opportunities to pick up a guy like Parise are extremely limited, so you have to take your chances as they appear, and adjust afterwards if you succeed.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I guess you could jump first and ask questions later. I did that with these vintage drums over the last couple weeks and am now piling up overdrafts while trying to move one of them. D'oh...

CapGeeking...

I don't think you can get both Parise and Suter without LTIR-ing PMB. If you do that, you only have ~$1m in cap space. Then maybe move Seto or Heatley if you can? Or even better, Backstrom? Those are kind of fantasies though.

I guess you're right, go after the big fish and then deal with the consequences later.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Yeah, I forgot about Palmieri. Also forgot Christensen, not that he really matters.

I still think EC might be OK with a scoring winger and someone who can create space. I would like to see 2nd/3rd line consisting of Palmieri - Christensen - Setoguchi. That would leave us with Heatley - Koivu - Granlund on 1st and a respectable 3rd line as well.

So, we arrive to following:

Heatley - Koivu - Granlund
Palmieri - Christensen - Setoguchi
Cullen - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Powe/Kassian/Veilleux - Peters - Johnson

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing Heatley - Brodziak - Johnson line back together, but that would essentially leave Koivu with Seto. Would be something like:

Palmieri/Granlund - Koivu - Setoguchi
Heatley - Brodziak - Johnson
Palmieri/Granlund - Cullen - Clutterbuck
Powe/Kassian/Veilleux - Christensen/Peters - Ortmeyer

Then again, we also have the young'uns to consider, and assuming Phillips and Bulmer make it out of the camp, I would like to see something like:

Granlund - Koivu - Setoguchi
Heatley - Brodziak - Johnson
Bulmer - Cullen/Christensen - Palmieri
Kassian/Veilleux - Peters/Powe - Phillips

That is assuming that Phillips start on the wing. To sum it up, we need 1 LW (preferably) and ship one of our centers, preferably Christensen.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
I guess you could jump first and ask questions later. I did that with these vintage drums over the last couple weeks and am now piling up overdrafts while trying to move one of them. D'oh...

CapGeeking...

I don't think you can get both Parise and Suter without LTIR-ing PMB. If you do that, you only have ~$1m in cap space. Then maybe move Seto or Heatley if you can? Or even better, Backstrom? Those are kind of fantasies though.

I guess you're right, go after the big fish and then deal with the consequences later.
Do
Step #1: Sign both Parise and Suter.

Step #2: Figure out how to dump Backstrom, Bouchard, or Cullen. One of them will be moveable.

Step #3: Rejoice.

Don't
Step #1: Sign only Suter because of cap reasons.

Step #2: Rely on Bouchard and Cullen to be contributing players.

Step #3: Watch next year be the same as this year.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:38 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

CapGeeking...

Did you factor in the increase in the cap? Winnipeg's revenue increases alone will generate a cap bump of around $5MM. The "temporary cap" that teams have been told to expect is $69MM. I think it's safe to assume that if there is an adjustment to the HRR split, there will be an equivalent salary rollback to compensate.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Did you factor in the increase in the cap? Winnipeg's revenue increases alone will generate a cap bump of around $5MM. The "temporary cap" that teams have been told to expect is $69MM. I think it's safe to assume that if there is an adjustment to the HRR split, there will be an equivalent salary rollback to compensate.
Probably not

I guess there's not much reason to be worried, because likely Butch and/or Lats will be gone or LTIR and it's possible to force Cullen or Backs to waive trade if absolutely necessary.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Do
Step #1: Sign both Parise and Suter.

Step #2: Figure out how to dump Backstrom, Bouchard, or Cullen. One of them will be moveable.

Step #3: Rejoice.

Don't
Step #1: Sign only Suter because of cap reasons.

Step #2: Rely on Bouchard and Cullen to be contributing players.

Step #3: Watch next year be the same as this year.
Get ready for disappointment. I don't see how we could be a front-runner for any aging UFA who wants to win in the next few years. Put yourself in Parise/Suter's skates. From an unbiased standpoint, there are 5+ teams I'd rather play for. We're not attractive enough to draw these types of players.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They'd just be getting in on the ground floor.

In all honesty, if a player wants to be in a low-pressure market that still has a big fan base, it's not a bad place to be. And I'm sure they know about the prospects coming up.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Get ready for disappointment. I don't see how we could be a front-runner for any aging UFA who wants to win in the next few years. Put yourself in Parise/Suter's skates. From an unbiased standpoint, there are 5+ teams I'd rather play for. We're not attractive enough to draw these types of players.
with the way this season is ending, I think Fletchers only chance is to sell them both on signing with the same team. If he could do that, then the Wild would move up the list of teams.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:

In all honesty, if a player wants to be in a low-pressure market that still has a big fan base, it's not a bad place to be. And I'm sure they know about the prospects coming up.
If he gets both of them to sign here I'll dance a jig.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

That and everyone wants to be on a team with the 13th nicest player in the league.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:54 PM
ProfessorMcFatty

I'm not as negative on our outlook next year as a lot of people seem to be. Here's a few reasons:

1. We had a monster winning streak this year, despite the players we have now. Its not like its impossible for the Wild to succeed.

2. I expect to see at least one big UFA signing in the offseason

3. A Fresh Start can do wonders. The offseason might be enough for some guys. And guys like Palmieri might pull a Nick Johnson and (positively) surprise everyone .

4. Prospects! I'm excited for guys like Grandlund, Bulmer, and Brodin to join the team. Plus a lot of the younger guys still have plenty of room for growth.

I'm not delusional enough to think we'll win the cup next year, but I'm hopeful that we can make it to the playoffs.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:12 PM
nickschultzfan

Ideally, even if we tank, if Fletcher can have another great draft (which we might considering we could be drafting in the top-5), and then turns Backstrom + 2 of Cullen/Bouchard/Lats/Clutterbuck (yes Clutterbuck) into an over-paid, but legit top-6 winger, the Wild could look very attractive. Hell, I would even toss in a guy like Coyle if it would bring back a guy like, say, Nash.

X - Koivu - Heatley
Nash - Granlund - Setoguchi
Lats/Clutter/Bulmer-Brodziak-Cullen

Y - Gilbert
Scandella-Spurgeon

When you call Suter and Parise, and they look at that potential line-up, plus all the prospects pushing the club, yeah, that would be hard to turn down.

Edit - I completely realize that expecting getting Nash to get Parise to get Suter is mad scientist crazy, but Jedi GMs go big or go home. If Fletcher traded for Nash at the draft, man that would be a big statement, even if Nash is on the 2nd half of his career.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Right now we project 8th:

DraftTeamPtsPythProjOddsHighest
1stCOLUMBUS430.3235725.0%1st
2ndEDMONTON560.4537618.8%1st
3rdNY ISLANDERS610.3777714.2%1st
4thMONTREAL580.4777710.7%1st
5thCAROLINA610.450808.1%1st
6thBUFFALO620.415816.2%2nd
7thTAMPA BAY640.407814.7%3rd
8thMINNESOTA650.408823.6%4th
9thANAHEIM640.458832.7%5th
10thWINNIPEG680.442852.1%6th
11thTORONTO650.478851.5%7th
12thCALGARY670.440861.1%8th
13thCOLORADO700.467890.8%9th
14thWASHINGTON690.487900.5%10th
15thDALLAS700.479900.0%15th
16thLOS ANGELES700.515910.0%16th
17thFLORIDA720.465930.0%17th
18thCHICAGO730.507930.0%18th
19thOTTAWA760.510950.0%19th
20thNEW JERSEY740.485960.0%20th
21stSAN JOSE730.547970.0%21st
22ndPHOENIX750.536980.0%22nd
23rdPHILADELPHIA750.547990.0%23rd
24thNASHVILLE810.5491030.0%24th
25thPITTSBURGH770.5881030.0%25th
26thBOSTON770.6621080.0%26th
27thST LOUIS850.6321120.0%27th
28thDETROIT870.6311120.0%28th
29thVANCOUVER880.6361140.0%29th
30thNY RANGERS860.6611170.0%30th

Old
02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Right now we project 8th:
Remember what happened to last year's 8th place team?

Yeah?

Yeah. That'll be us.

WILL BE OURS!

Old
02-29-2012, 04:50 PM
mnwildgophers

I can see us dropping down until about 5th, but I would hate to see the team do that after such a promising start to the year, not to mention the confidence we'd be losing in the process. I think most people expect to be drafting in the #9-10 area.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Definitely don't see Parise or Suter signing here if the plummet continues. I feel that every rung we drop closer to picking #1 lessens the chance of signing either one of them. Regardless, this team needs talent to play with the prospects. Can't expect Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, etc. all to elevate their games on their own. They need talented mentors to work with.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I can see us dropping down until about 5th, but I would hate to see the team do that after such a promising start to the year, not to mention the confidence we'd be losing in the process. I think most people expect to be drafting in the #9-10 area.
I could see that happening as well, but maybe the Wild get a higher pick with the lottery.

Doubtful though

Old
02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Before we even talk about next year's salary cap let's see if we can avoid another lock-out first.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Avder
Is only game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Before we even talk about next year's salary cap let's see if we can avoid another lock-out first.
This sounds like good advice. I'm not a fan of the Unions relationship with the League after they torpedoed realignment.

Closed Thread