HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm calling it now...it's over folks.

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
Kings will need to go 13-6 in final 19 to get to 94 points. For a team that's only 5 games over .500 after 63 games, no way that's happening. Sure the team could get hot...but let's get realistic, have they ever been hot all season?

Hit the reset button, ffwd to OCT. Looking forward to going back to a season where the Kings are expected to suck ass....they play better with no expectations, that has been clearly proven by the 2011-12 campaign.
Then I don't expect you back posting here until October. Have a nice Summer.

Bye.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Actually, at the current pace 92 points would get you the 8th seed in the playoffs, which is a 12-7 record. So it's still within reach. Not that it's a given that teams will keep the same pace in their last 20 games as their first 60 (god I hope not) but as of right now that would be the target number.

Old
02-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Fat Elvis

I say they make the playoffs!! So there.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

I hope we make it. I think it is 50/50 whether we do or not. Even if we do, I'm not sure we even deserve it. Either way, this team needs to make some serious off season improvements to be considered a top contender.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
It ain't over until Craig Button gets on his soap box and declares it so, while taking jab after jab at Lombardi. This will be followed up by letting everyone know how he'd have built the team.
Ahahah so true. I have a feeling my remote is going to meet the inside of my tv when I see his end-season analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
The Ducks will be passing us on Saturday. Why the hell not? Every other team we've played that was right behind us in the last couple weeks has. It's been over for a while, the only question is whether or not Lombardi and Sutter remain next season.
Also true : At first, I was really excited to see that we were in a position to control our own fate; teams aren't usually in those shoes. Teams usually have to win their game then watch the scoreboard. In our case, we had the opportunity to swat the teams chasing us down...but we literally let them beat us and pass us, instead. Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
honestly, i think we will catch fire soon, i know we havent but todays game doesn't count it was pure ******** and luck that got nashville the win. we were good.
I keep thinking (hoping?) that too, but we haven't had a significant winning streak this season, have we? We've gone on "unbeaten" streaks with shootout losses, but I can't remember stringing together a few wins since Quick's shutout streak. Nothing even remotely approaching Phoenix's current streak.

But I agree--I'm still wondering what we did to piss the hockey gods off. I really don't think we played badly vs. Nashville. I'd say we outplayed them and our puck possession was solid. Two flukey goals and boom. Hope it's a good sign rather than another harbinger.

Old
02-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
This team isn't making the playoffs. Even if they did, they would get embarrassed by a top 2 seed. Coaches and players have been changed to no effect, after this season it's time for a management change. Either way they better pick a forward with the 1st rounder we got this year.
This is quite likely what will happen.

I do find it kind of odd that some fans get upset when other fans voice their viewpoints - even negative views, such as the Kings will not make the playoffs, etc...

Saying the Kings will not make the POs is not a huge leap by any means - they are playing worse at the end of this year WITH Kopitar and Richards than they did last year without both of them. How is that possible? I have no idea.

This is year 6. wow.

(and for those that yell and scream at others for stating their [very realistic and likely] opinions, feel free to use the ignore thread button or don't even open this thread. What did you expect anyway? - it's titled ...."it's over folks")

Old
02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
no name

Way too much negativity lately. The Kings have made this board depressing.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
This is quite likely what will happen.

I do find it kind of odd that some fans get upset when other fans voice their viewpoints - even negative views, such as the Kings will not make the playoffs, etc...

Saying the Kings will not make the POs is not a huge leap by any means - they are playing worse at the end of this year WITH Kopitar and Richards than they did last year without both of them. How is that possible? I have no idea.

This is year 6. wow.

(and for those that yell and scream at others for stating their [very realistic and likely] opinions, feel free to use the ignore thread button or don't even open this thread. What did you expect anyway? - it's titled ...."it's over folks")
I'm not upset at all.

I am just calling the guy out for calling it over.

If he says "I'm calling it now," and "this team isn't making the playoffs," and "it's over folks," well that sounds pretty definitive to me.

So I am simply saying to him: no need to post here anymore until October. Have a nice Summer.

How is that being upset?

If you truly feel that way, then just leave. See you next season.

Old
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Old
02-28-2012, 01:17 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Kings will need to go 13-6 in final 19 to get to 94 points. For a team that's only 5 games over .500 after 63 games, no way that's happening. Sure the team could get hot...but let's get realistic, have they ever been hot all season?

Hit the reset button, ffwd to OCT. Looking forward to going back to a season where the Kings are expected to suck ass....they play better with no expectations, that has been clearly proven by the 2011-12 campaign.

Old
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theav8tr View Post
The scary thing about that is the win column...with so many teams fighting for the 7th and 8th seed, we would have to win it outright. I mean look at Minnesota who is only 3 points behind us, but they have the same number of wins...We are going to have to finish in a spot all alone and not be tied in points, because everyone above us has at least 4+ more wins right now. Yea we are 2 points out of 8th, but still have 5 less wins than both Colorado (9th) and Dallas (8th)...heck the Ducks are still 4 points back, but only have 1 less win...
You know what solves that problem? 3 points. Wins are only a tie breaker. If we had 3 more points in 63 games we'd be sitting pretty in 8th. That means Richards scoring on that empty net against phoenix to force OT + Carter scoring rather than hitting the post last night (which lead to Nashville's 2nd goal)....or I can think of many other examples where we were 2-3 inches away from points.

Make up those 3 points over the last 19 games and we're fine. Yes its difficult, but wouldn't be miraculous.

Old
02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
There's more cynicism on here than the Calgary board haha, I think getting Carter was huge I'd wait and see how he gels into the lineup before getting to negative.

Old
02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Realistically, we're neither in nor out of the playoffs because the season isn't over. This team isn't going to look much different now that the trade deadline is over, so this is the only Kings team we can support right now.

So this is our team, and we still have a chance. Why wouldn't you be rooting for us to make the playoffs?

Old
02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
So this is our team, and we still have a chance. Why wouldn't you be rooting for us to make the playoffs?
I assume this is directed at me....

I love this team, and I want nothing more than to see them succeed and the expectations to be met. I'm just being realistic here, I'm looking at the numbers, what the team has done thus far and it doesn't look good to me. Maybe I'm preparing myself now so I don't feel let down later.

But besides that, I'm angry....I'm angry that this season has been such a letdown. All of the predictions, expectations at the start...and NONE of it has come to fruition. I'm angry that Jonathan Quick is having a Vezina calibre season, but no offensive support. I'm angry that this team was SUPPOSED to be competing for the division and the conference....and here we all sit crossing our fingers there is a miracle that they can manage 26 points in their final 19 games just to squeak into 8th place and get stomped by a team who hasn't missed the playoffs in the last 20 years.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
KingsKnight
"ICE to see you"

Quote:
I assume this is directed at me....

I love this team, and I want nothing more than to see them succeed and the expectations to be met. I'm just being realistic here, I'm looking at the numbers, what the team has done thus far and it doesn't look good to me. Maybe I'm preparing myself now so I don't feel let down later.

But besides that, I'm angry....I'm angry that this season has been such a letdown. All of the predictions, expectations at the start...and NONE of it has come to fruition. I'm angry that Jonathan Quick is having a Vezina calibre season, but no offensive support. I'm angry that this team was SUPPOSED to be competing for the division and the conference....and here we all sit crossing our fingers there is a miracle that they can manage 26 points in their final 19 games just to squeak into 8th place and get stomped by a team who hasn't missed the playoffs in the last 20 years.
It wasn't directed at you specifically. I think we're all upset to some degree with the way this season has gone so far, and I don't doubt that you're a big fan or you wouldn't be so passionate about the team's current position. I just think that there is a huge difference between being angry that the team isn't meeting expectations and calling the season over with 19 games left and 2 points out.

Old
02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Tim Tebow

Have you ever heard of Schrodinger's cat?
As of now the Kings can been seen as both in the playoffs and out of the playoffs

Old
02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
drbob

Odds against Kings, but:

we're only 2 pts out, in 10th place, have a top 5 netminder in Quick, and just added a 30+ goal scorer in Jeff Carter,

so while Phoenix has been red hot, usually teams streaks fluctuate so they could get cold in the next week or two,

we are due for a hot streak, and once we win a couple in a row, the confidence and bounces could snowball in our favor,

so I am remaining optimistic, as long as we don't lose 2 in a row the rest of the way in regulation...

Old
02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Fine, fast forward to October. You can wait for us there.

Calling a season over with 19 games left is just dumb. Look at the Oilers in 2006. They were out of the playoffs when they traded for Roloson and they came within a win of getting the cup (maybe they would have got it if Roloson didn't get hurt in the finals).

If we get in, anything can happen. And as for that great Detroit team that will stomp us in the first round, every one said the same thing the last time we played them in the playoffs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
It's been over for a while, the only question is whether or not Lombardi and Sutter remain next season.
What's a while? Weren't we in a playoff spot like a week ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Even though I think this season is kaput and we won't make the playoffs, I do think it might go down as a weird transitional year that was an aberration which ultimately led us closer to our goal.
Agree. Most teams have them. Look at Quebec/COlorado two years before they won the cup. Had a huge let down, fell right out of the playoffs. In came Crawford and Lacroix and two years later, Stanley Cup. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post

But I agree--I'm still wondering what we did to piss the hockey gods off.
When you trade the pick that would be Ray Bourque for a washed up goalie, let Billy Smith go in the expansion draft and spend nearly two decades as the pasture where other teams send their old timers, the hockey gods eventually look at you like that 'special' child who shouldn't be around sharp objects. We need to show them our IQ is higher than that of a dung beetle to get some respect.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
cubsfan999

What?!? Over? Did you say over?

Old
02-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Fine, fast forward to October. You can wait for us there.
He will not wait for us there. Once Kings make the playoffs, he will take the credit for "jinxing" it. It's either "I told you so." or "I jinxed it." Can't go wrong with a thread like this.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Have you ever heard of Schrodinger's cat? ....
God does not play dice with the universe, Tim.

Old
02-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
He will not wait for us there. Once Kings make the playoffs, he will take the credit for "jinxing" it. It's either "I told you so." or "I jinxed it." Can't go wrong with a thread like this.
I want nothing more to be proven wrong...I really hope I am. If I'm not, this franchise is going to be in deep ****.

The bigger question is, what will all of you say if I'm right?

Old
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
I want nothing more to be proven wrong...I really hope I am. If I'm not, this franchise is going to be in deep ****.

A better question is who cares what anyone type's? If they don't make the playoff's, try again next year.

It's not the end of the sports world. Or the Kings franchise, Might be the end of Dean Lombardi though...

Old
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
A better question is who cares what anyone type's? If they don't make the playoff's, try again next year.

Good point, who cares if we don't make the playoffs! That only means you don't have a chance to win a cup! Eh, there's always next year! lol, I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

A) If the team misses the playoffs, they are not in deep ****. The team isn't full of a bunch of 35 year olds

B) I'll say then what I said now. It takes a big man to predict his favorite team is sunk with 19 games left in the season and basically publicly state he has no faith in the players on his team to be able to make the playoffs when they were in a two point deficit at the time of his post. If you have so little faith in this team, why cheer for them?

The season is not over, plenty of teams have rallied to get into the playoffs from a two point deficit with just under 1/4 of the season left. Have a little faith.

Closed Thread