HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[EDM/MIN] Tom Gilbert Traded For Nick Schultz - Part 2

Old
02-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Little Fury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Do you mean that Hall, Eberle and RNH are the reason that the PK is so vastly improved? Oh whoops, they don't play the PK and guess who does? That's right, Belanger, Smyth and Sutton. All of whom were brought in by Tambellini in the offseason. Also, the Oilers are one of the most improved faceoff teams in the league and you know who leads the Oilers in F.O.%, That's right, Belanger who Tambo brought in.
Yeah, Tambo brought Belanger in three years after it became clear the team needed a PK/FO wizard. And he over-payed for him to boot!

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
How about actually watching the game before calling me out on something. Potter has gotten all his points on the PP, Gilbert gets most of his of the rush. Also he's outscoring him by 1 point and one of those 3 games Gilbert was adjusting to a new team and almost had a goal.
Well then you can admit that even potter moved past Gilbert on the PP depth chart. Likely this means Gilbert offense will.continue to.fall

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
How about actually watching the game before calling me out on something. Potter has gotten all his points on the PP, Gilbert gets most of his of the rush. Also he's outscoring him by 1 point and one of those 3 games Gilbert was adjusting to a new team and almost had a goal.
Gilbert has one more EV point than Smid and Sutton.

That doesn't scream "PMD" to me.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Potter and Gilbert's point production at 5 on 5 are actually pretty close:

Gilbert .76 P/60
Potter .67 P/60

Ol' Jase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
What your opinion isn't based on any particular reasons?

Good to know for future reference.
A shout out of thank you to Canadian Commie

Quote:
I didn't say he was very good at it, just that's his role down there on the 3rd pairing most nights.

I looked at the game logs for february and noticed a few things

-Petry has played nearly twice as much PK time as Gilbert has -Petry throughout february has had better PP TOI and a better overall TOI than Gilbert
-Petry has a better +/- and been more productive

it's pretty obvious that Petry had replaced gilbert.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:19 PM
alanschu

This thread is all sorts of entertaining!

/popcorn
/getspopcornstuckinnewbraces

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Joe Hallenback

Guys stop using stats to back up your arguments and use facts instead

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
If by vastly improved PP, you mean one where they are shooting the lights out percentage wise. Also ties into what I said about the big three, who've figured in 52% of the Oilers PP points this season.

Anyway, the point was: they should have been better this year what with the addition of RNH and the return of Hall, Eberle, Whitney and Hemsky. But there they are, floundering in the basement.

Again.
They are better this year is a fact though, not really a point. The have multiple teams within a 2-6 point cushion. Last year there wasn't a single team close to them in that range at this point in the year.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
This thread is all sorts of entertaining!

/popcorn
/getspopcornstuckinnewbraces
That's the best part of braces. You'll be eating that same popcorn around game time. Unless you're one of those clean freaks and you brush every two hours.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:23 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Yeah, Tambo brought Belanger in three years after it became clear the team needed a PK/FO wizard. And he over-payed for him to boot!
$1.75 mil/yr for an elite faceoff and PK guy that had scored 35-40 pts every year in his career pretty much before this season is overpaying? Coulda fooled me.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
$1.75 mil/yr for an elite faceoff and PK guy that had scored 35-40 pts every year in his career pretty much before this season is overpaying? Coulda fooled me.
Yeah exactly, a million dollars more than the contract basement and somehow that's an overpay for someone who specializes in certain aspects of the game? Maybe the term was too long but the price certainly wasn't.

Old
CupofOil

Quote:
LOL, here we go with the i watched the game better than you stuff.
I watch every Oilers game just like you and Potter is a pretty solid PMD, on par with Gilbert IMO. Defensively is a different story but Potter has some pretty good puck moving skills.

The fact of the matter is that you were laughing off the idea of Potter as a solid PMD and boasted about Gilbert being a good PMD yet Potter has outscored him in less games played, that's a fact.

Old
raab
Where's the Hart?

Why are you guys still using stats? Tom Gilbert was our second best passer on the backend after Whitney and it wasn't close. Although you could argue Barker has a nice stretch pass when he uses it.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
A shout out of thank you to Canadian Commie

...I thought I was a post-ghost there for a while

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Tyrolean

A lot of Oiler fans said that Gilbert was the Oiler's best defenseman this year. You just have to check the archives. I said that Smid was the best d-man this year.

Gilbert will do well in his home State, so let's hope Shultz shows us why he has been in Minny for a long time. If he is more composed and effective in his zone then we have a winner.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
...I thought I was a post-ghost there for a while
Hahaha, yeah no doubt, but 55 pages and counting.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:30 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Why are you guys still using stats? Tom Gilbert was our second best passer on the backend after Whitney and it wasn't close. Although you could argue Barker has a nice stretch pass when he uses it.
Why not use stats? Where is your proof that Gilbert was currently the second best passer behind Whitney AINEC?
Gilbert was never a great stretch passer anyway.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

in referencing my criminally ignored post, whether people agree or disagree with it the oilers organization treated gilbert as, at best, secondary to Petry and over the course of February appeared to become expendable.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:38 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
You don't think Chicago at least listens to a Gilbert+Gagner offer for Seabrook? I'm just throwing out random names as an example. The fact is we moved one of our better trading chips for quite possibly a downgrade.
It has been shown that Schultz is an upgrade in the Oilers biggest area of need, which is giving up less goals per game.

Could you imagine the poop storm that would happen if your proposed deal would have happened.

"Seabrook is only good because of Keith."
"Sam Gagner is only 22."
"We downgraded in 2 areas (PMD + #2C) for a guy who wont look nearly as good with Potter as his partner compared to when he had Keith as his partner."

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

The Oilers are not overpaying. Belanger is underperforming, other than the faceoffs. If he produces like all his other years, it's more than fair value. I'm sure the org didn't tell him to lose his hands and all offensive hockey sense.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:54 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
That's the best part of braces. You'll be eating that same popcorn around game time. Unless you're one of those clean freaks and you brush every two hours.
I do joke that the braces give me a snack for later!

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:54 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Why not use stats? Where is your proof that Gilbert was currently the second best passer behind Whitney AINEC?
Gilbert was never a great stretch passer anyway.
It's called video, not sure how to upload an Oilers game to YouTube or else I'd do that.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:56 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
I fail to see how Gilbert was a better passer than Petry... And I like Gilbert. I was one of the few people defending him last off season

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:03 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 310
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
The Oilers are not overpaying. Belanger is underperforming, other than the faceoffs. If he produces like all his other years, it's more than fair value. I'm sure the org didn't tell him to lose his hands and all offensive hockey sense.

I am as big a critic of Tambo as anybody but its pretty tough to fault him on the Belanger deal.

I thought then (and still do think) it was a good signing because it addressed a need. Nobody could have predicted that Belangers offence would simply dry up.

Using Belanger as an argument to blast Tambo is a red herring.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
They are better this year is a fact though, not really a point. The have multiple teams within a 2-6 point cushion. Last year there wasn't a single team close to them in that range at this point in the year.
Not true. Last year at this time, Ottawa was only three points up on Edmonton, the Isles by 6.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote