HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm calling it now...it's not over folks

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
tantrum4*

vCash: 500
So we are tied for 8th but the season is over?? Ok....???

Old
02-28-2012, 09:16 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
So we are tied for 8th but the season is over?? Ok....???
We're definitely still in it, but it's distressing that we have so many "loser" points. We're 4 wins shy of both DAL and COL.

Old
02-28-2012, 09:18 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
We're definitely still in it, but it's distressing that we have so many "loser" points. We're 4 wins shy of both DAL and COL.
Meh. Just win games baby. After watching how they've played the last 3 games I have total confidence we are going to make it

Old
02-29-2012, 12:24 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

The Not Over people with the win baby!

Old
02-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Monarchist

Quote:

Kool Aid crew unite! 8 seed here we come!!
Oh YEAH!

Old
02-29-2012, 12:40 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Can soemone tell me how a team with Carter, Richards, Kopitar, Brown, Doughty and Quick isn't in the playoff hunt from now until the end of the year? On paper, that's a stunning array of riches.
that's what i'm saying. through and through, this is among THE best kings lineup i can ever remember. THis is why I don't understand how you can blame DL for this. This lineup is top notch. Owners have shelled out money. Even coaching I think is good, the players just aren't getting it done. (Again, spare me the "WAH WAH" buck stops here argument, it's a weak argument if you have no idea where to point the finger so you just look to the top like a sheep)

A line of Carter and Richards as a 2nd line is about as amazing as you can make a 2nd line.

Oh, and not to mention, our farm is so strongly supporting us, that we just traded our core defender without a hiccup (so far) and filled in 2 spots on forwards. Rotating in 3 rookies this year (4 if you include Loktionov) is a phenomenal feat for a team that's already one of the youngest in the NHL.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:47 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

It's just not true.

It isn't over until you give up as a fan.

I find a reason to be hopeful each time we play, well most every time we play and until the numbers rule us out I am going to keep cheering.

Even after that too but what can I do.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
that's what i'm saying. through and through, this is among THE best kings lineup i can ever remember. THis is why I don't understand how you can blame DL for this. This lineup is top notch. Owners have shelled out money. Even coaching I think is good, the players just aren't getting it done.

A line of Carter and Richards as a 2nd line is about as amazing as you can make a 2nd line.
This teams success rests on DL as much as it does the players, IMO.

While I wish we would have drafted more offensive players here and there, the overall makeup of this team is great. I don't have any gripes at all with how this team is built, with the Carter trade I would say that DL has done a great job overall. When Gagne comes back, it gets even better. He's also shown he's willing to take risk and trade high-profile and popular players if he feels the move is best for the team.

Where I do hold DL accountable is with his coach choices. This team doesn't need a defensive coach with this roster, and that's what TM and Sutter are. Sutter's past history doesn't match the current team makeup, we are no longer a banging team which has always been his style. A fresher mind would have suited this team better in my opinion rather than more of the same. Not saying the choice was right or wrong yet, but it's worrysome that a defensive guy was brought in.

That said, the one thing I do notice is Sutter adjusting, moving towards a more offensive look. It's subtle, but at least he's doing it whereas TM made no adjustments whatsoever. Maybe DL made that clear when he was hired? Either way I hope the adjustments continue and he gets this team on track. If the team we've seen the last 3 games continues to show up for the rest of the year, DL will look like a genius. If not.... the front office may not be a very secure place over the summer.

Old
02-29-2012, 12:57 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

I'm optimistic about the Kings making the playoffs. I have a feeling that things will click and they will have a legitimate run at the cup. But its too early to tell. By March 12th we will have a good idea of what is possible.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

The Kings have played very strong indeed since acquiring Carter. Their two wins since then have been really impressive and they truly were not that bad against Nashville.

There is a reason why Nashville is now being regarded by anyone paying attention as an elite team. The Predators IMO can skate with absolutely anybody in the NHL. Their defensive structure is designed and executed like a Swiss timepiece and they have a beast of a goaltender. Yet the Kings stayed right with them, in their barn where they absolutely excel, and even so the Kings were truly not outclassed. With only a couple different small bounces, (crazy goal for Nashville, post hit by Carter) that would have been a totally different outcome.

The Kings from just 10 days ago would have been absolutely smoked by that Predators team. But in the Carter era things are different now.

Carter does give this team a new look and makes the Kings more of an offensive menace -- believe it. If he stays on one line with Richards and continues to draw away shutdown defenders from Kopitar's line, opposing teams will have a hell of a time with this squad.

The new defense with Voynov and without Johnson has a sleeker look and I like it. Voynov is playing like he never again wants to sit on another AHL bus. I predict a revitalized and newly dangerous Kings team against all opponents in the remaining regular season games.

Last edited by Willard: 02-29-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old
02-29-2012, 01:38 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

To be honest, I kind of want to see this team perform in the playoffs. It has a different makeup of the past years playoff teams.

We have Carter, Richie, Kopi. First two guys have got a lot of playoff experience under their belts, plus we got some serious size to go with our strength down the middle. Quick should be more experienced and able to handle it this go around. If we go on a nice run before the playoffs, I don't think anyone wants to play this team.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:11 AM
JR28

Quote:
While Colorado does have 33 wins, 4 more then the Kings, they do have an ROW of 26. 7 of there wins came via shootout so if they and the Kings tie it will go to the ROW. Kings now have an ROW of 25 one less then Colorado. Dallas is a bit trickier as there ROW is 29, 4 more then the Kings 25.

However SJ's ROW is 27 and Phoenix's is 28. SO really if there are any ties then the ROW will become a huge factor and the Kings are close to all 4 of those teams. Chicago has 29 ROW also. So all isn't lost, if it comes down to ROW tiebreaker.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

We need another FAITH IN 8! campaign

Old
02-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
We need another FAITH IN 8! campaign

Old
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Old
02-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
... There is a reason why Nashville is now being regarded by anyone paying attention as an elite team. The Predators IMO can skate with absolutely anybody in the NHL. Their defensive structure is designed and executed like a Swiss timepiece and they have a beast of a goaltender. Yet the Kings stayed right with them, in their barn where they absolutely excel, and even so the Kings were truly not outclassed. With only a couple different small bounces, (crazy goal for Nashville, post hit by Carter) that would have been a totally different outcome.

The Kings from just 10 days ago would have been absolutely smoked by that Predators team. But in the Carter era things are different now.
Great analysis...

It's funny because I saw the Kings win last night playing while still making the same mistakes they made while losing to the Preds:

1) We forget how many new players we have had since the start of the year.
2) We forget how difficult it is to get different players from different teams to gel and overcome instincts reinforced on other teams.
3) We forget how hard it is to make the correct play instinctively at game speed - especially with new players.

As a result of those struggles, we play a little too loose as a five man unit. Especially in our zone when turning up the ice - forwards aren't deep enough to give the D options on the first pass. They get into that east-west passing that allows the opponent to set up their D. Then we play too loose and without solid attack structure when in the O zone. This all leads to the inconsistency that we suffer. Now, add to the mix the fact that we have a number of leaders and go-to guys on the team, all of whom are willing and eager to jump into the fray and put the team on their shoulders. That just exacerbates the "not playing as a five man unit" issue. That reduces scoring chances. And that's why I think they haven't been scoring to their expected averages. They're not using their teammates to best effect.

Carter changes that mix. Carter and Richards playing together and Kopi and Williams playing together will start to relax this team a little bit. A few good games in a row, especially against good opponents (the Kings play better against better teams) and we're going to be in for a great ride.

GKG!!!

Last edited by Duc620: 02-29-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Great analysis...

It's funny because I saw the Kings win last night playing while still making the same mistakes they made while losing to the Preds:

1) We forget how many new players we have had since the start of the year.
2) We forget how difficult it is to get different players from different teams to gel and overcome instincts reinforced on other teams.
3) We forget how hard it is to make the correct play instinctively at game speed - especially with new players.

As a result of those struggles, we play a little too loose as a five man unit. Especially in our zone when turning up the ice - forwards aren't deep enough to give the D options on the first pass. They get into that east-west passing that allows the opponent to set up their D. Then we play too loose and without solid attack structure when in the O zone. This all leads to the inconsistency that we suffer. Now, add to the mix the fact that we have a number of leaders and go-to guys on the team, all of whom are willing and eager to jump into the fray and put the team on their shoulders. That just exacerbates the "not playing as a five man unit" issue. That reduces scoring chances. And that's why I think they haven't been scoring to their expected averages. They're not using their teammates to best effect.

Carter changes that mix. Carter and Richards playing together and Kopi and Williams playing together will start to relax this team a little bit. A few good games in a row, especially against good opponents (the Kings play better against better teams) and we're going to be in for a great ride.

GKG!!!
Kopitar's line did have more ice last night. The wild did not want Carter and Richards to have room.

They rolled with that and lost,. The Ducks might try and change that up.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Kopitar's line did have more ice last night. The wild did not want Carter and Richards to have room.

They rolled with that and lost,. The Ducks might try and change that up.
Would love to see Carter go off on the Ducks. The Duck defensemen do not match up well against the Kings' forwards.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Would love to see Carter go off on the Ducks. The Duck defensemen do not match up well against the Kings' forwards.
Poor Lubo, hope his team gets its ass kicked though.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Very much win-and-you're-in at this point.

A bunch of the hottest teams have games head-to-head; if we take care of our business, and beat the Sharks at least 2 out of our 3 head-to-heads, we're sitting pretty.

Anything less, and we don't deserve to be there anyway.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
To be honest, I kind of want to see this team perform in the playoffs. It has a different makeup of the past years playoff teams.

We have Carter, Richie, Kopi. First two guys have got a lot of playoff experience under their belts, plus we got some serious size to go with our strength down the middle. Quick should be more experienced and able to handle it this go around. If we go on a nice run before the playoffs, I don't think anyone wants to play this team.
I am interested to see if Carter ever turns it around in the playoffs. He really has been the NHL's version of A-Rod when it comes to the regular season and playoffs.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Very much win-and-you're-in at this point.

A bunch of the hottest teams have games head-to-head; if we take care of our business, and beat the Sharks at least 2 out of our 3 head-to-heads, we're sitting pretty.

Anything less, and we don't deserve to be there anyway.
That is the best way to get in. It would be kind of lame to have to rely on another team like Chicago did last season.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I am interested to see if Carter ever turns it around in the playoffs. He really has been the NHL's version of A-Rod when it comes to the regular season and playoffs.
He hasn't been too bad statiscally. 13-8-21 in 47 games, and he was playing injured in the six game series the Flyers lost last season from what I understand.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:50 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
That is the best way to get in. It would be kind of lame to have to rely on another team like Chicago did last season.
I have a sick feeling that it might come down to the last two games against San Jose to see who gets in (if San Jose struggles in March). I hope not, but if it comes down to it, and our offense really has started to turn, I think we could pull it off with some great defense. Exciting times right now.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He hasn't been too bad statiscally. 13-8-21 in 47 games, and he was playing injured in the six game series the Flyers lost last season from what I understand.
Statistically that is terrible for a big minute forward. If you were to mirror it to an 82 game season that is a pace for 36 points a season.

You are correct in Carter has had a few injuries but even when he has been healthy he hasn't been impressive. Carter's best season when he scored 46 goals and 84 points and was huge for the Flyers he followed it with a 1 point effort in the playoffs logging over 20 minutes a game as the Penguins romped the Flyers in 6.

In general Carter is yet to have that memorable playoff effort or play in general. Like as a Flyers fan when you think of players like Richards, Giroux, Briere, Pronger, Leino, Lupul, JVR, Primeau, Gagne, Umberger, etc, we can all remember specific efforts or amazing plays in the playoffs even if it was just once. With Carter it's blank. The only Carter playoff memory I have is when Carcillo missed his check and leveled Carter by mistake. Every memorable Carter moment was in the regular season.

For whatever reason Carter is still looking for his playoff breakout.

Closed Thread