HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Call up Zuccarello (RECALLED - 3/11)

Old
02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Zuccarello is not good defensively and is 5'7.

Just out of curiosity, when did you last see a full game with him?

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:46 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Just out of curiosity, when did you last see a full game with him?
In the NHL.

He's too small and slow to be a good defensive player at this level.

02-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
In the NHL.

He's too small and slow to be a good defensive player at this level.
So you do not think that its possible for a 23 year old player, pretty much fresh of the boat from Europe to develop and assimilate to the NA game during 5 months of the season? You kidding, right?

That said, after those 3 first NHL games of the season this board was ready to ship the whole team minus a couple of players out of town.

For the future of the team I hope the people in player development show a little more patience than what is shown around here. Looks like they do not though

Old
02-29-2012, 05:07 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
So you do not think that its possible for a 23 year old player, pretty much fresh of the boat from Europe to develop and assimilate to the NA game during 5 months of the season? You kidding, right?

That said, after those 3 first NHL games of the season this board was ready to ship the whole team minus a couple of players out of town.

For the future of the team I hope the people in player development show a little more patience than what is shown around here. Looks like they do not though
When you add in his lack of size and speed...yeah.

He's smart enough to be a good defensive player, I don't doubt that, but if you're 5'7 and a sub par skater, you're not going to be good defensively. It's unrealistic.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

I'm surprised that so many thought he was bad defensively, I thought he was a good back-checker last season, haven't seen him this season though. But to me his PP skills, that did show last year, is badly needed and I'd love to see him get another shot.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
What would you like from Mitchell, he is + 14, has 13 points, as 4th line center with limited minutes and very limited linemates , he takes the body, has a good wrist shot and is responsible defensively?
First off, i'm not the guy of guy that gives a doggone about +/-. Never have and never will.

Second, 11 of Mitchell's 13 points are at even strength. He contributes nothing to the power play and should not be on it.

02-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:

He's smart enough to be a good defensive player, I don't doubt that, but if you're 5'7 and a sub par skater, you're not going to be good defensively. It's unrealistic.
I dunno, to me that just sounds like a pre judgement based on biases. When the potential offensive upside is greater than the defensive downside I'd give it a go before making the decision.
Playing 5 guys on D is all good until you think of the fact you actually have to score to win a hockey game.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:16 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Mitchell on the 4th line is OK, but aside from being rather solid on faceoffs, watching him on the PP makes me cringe, and his presence on the PP is why I believe this team is still not a serious contender as of yet. That shows a serious lack of depth.

Quote:
I dunno, to me that just sounds like a pre judgement based on biases. When the potential offensive upside is greater than the defensive downside I'd give it a go before making the decision.
Playing 5 guys on D is all good until you think of the fact you actually have to score to win a hockey game.
I love Zuccarello as a person/player (in his attitude) and I thought he was decent last year, but I just don't see room for him on this team. I would love for him to succeed, even if it weren't here. He's been a class act with this organization throughout.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

When EC puts up 25-30 points a season from 4th line and gets PP time everyone has a fit, but Mitchell is okay, then.

I guess he doesn't look unhappy and that is the make-or-break in being a Ranger.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Mitchell on the 4th line is OK, but aside from being rather solid on faceoffs, watching him on the PP makes me cringe, and his presence on the PP is why I believe this team is still not a serious contender as of yet. That shows a serious lack of depth.

I love Zuccarello as a person/player (in his attitude) and I thought he was decent last year, but I just don't see room for him on this team. I would love for him to succeed, even if it weren't here. He's been a class act with this organization throughout.
I dont know, it just seems a little strange to me for the club not to give it a try.
The potential, even though small (muhahaha), would make it worth it in the second half of the season. Its a win win, if he pans out; awesome. If not, he is gone by the end of the year. To me, there is nothing for this team to lose in seeing if its a quick fix to the struggeling PP and offence.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
I dont know, it just seems a little strange to me for the club not to give it a try.
The potential, even though small (muhahaha), would make it worth it in the second half of the season. Its a win win, if he pans out; awesome. If not, he is gone by the end of the year. To me, there is nothing for this team to lose in seeing if its a quick fix to the struggeling PP and offence.
Who do u suggest that he play over and what lines do you expect?

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

If Cally is out with injury Id put him in his place, if not play him over Mitchell.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
If Cally is out with injury Id put him in his place, if not play him over Mitchell.
Yeah I could see him playing callys spot if out but I don't see how it works in place of Mitchell

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:47 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
When EC puts up 25-30 points a season from 4th line and gets PP time everyone has a fit, but Mitchell is okay, then.

I guess he doesn't look unhappy and that is the make-or-break in being a Ranger.
Christensen was awful defensively almost the entire time. Mitchell is solid defensively and great with board work.

Old
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Christensen was awful defensively almost the entire time. Mitchell is solid defensively and great with board work.
Calling Mitchell's board play "great" I think is hyperbole at best and ridiculous at the worst.

The man may have his uses but the power play isn't one of them. And his defensive capabilities not a reason to put him on the power play, otherwise Blair Betts would have been a second unit guy for us, too.

Old
02-29-2012, 06:42 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Fine. He's strong along the boards.

And I said before that Mitchell on the powerplay sickens me.

Old
02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm not trying to take the man's job here, but I think when the bigger issue on this team is the power play you want to look at some in-the-system options down the stretch.

We've got a 9 point lead on the conference here, we can do a little bit of experimenting. If Zucc is awful and unable to provide any spark on the PP we really haven't wasted anything.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
First off, i'm not the guy of guy that gives a doggone about +/-. Never have and never will.

Second, 11 of Mitchell's 13 points are at even strength. He contributes nothing to the power play and should not be on it.
I agree he doesn't belong on the PP, however I think he is a nice role player, and role player compliment your stars, see 1994. By the way if he was -14, that wouldn't bother you?

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I love Zuccarello as a person/player (in his attitude) and I thought he was decent last year, but I just don't see room for him on this team.
With Wolski gone, he is the new square peg that needs to be inserted into a round hole. Again, as weas the case with Wolski, he is not displacing anyone on top 2 lines. His game does not translate well to playing on this teams' bottom-2 lines. And he does not play the way that Torts demands every single player on the team plays. Which ALL of them do. As such, Zuccarello is not playing.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:29 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I just broke out my Canada Olympic hockey DVD and watching little Zuke out there on Norway is still funny. He is so small.

I hope he finds a spot somewhere, with us or another NHL team. I don't think he fits in with what we have going here, but if we need a call up I'm definitely not against it.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

I see mitchell getting 2 more games to show he belongs before a call up is made, unless there's another injury

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post
I see mitchell getting 2 more games to show he belongs before a call up is made, unless there's another injury
Torts is not changing the lineup, sans injuries, by the way Rupp should sit before Mitch, Pruster fights all his fights for him anyway...but keep winning don't change the lineup

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:

Do you think Zooks was a willing and frequent backchecker last season?

How many goals against was Zooks on the ice for this season in his 3 games?

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Do you think Zooks was a willing and frequent backchecker last season?

How many goals against was Zooks on the ice for this season in his 3 games?
Willing and frequent aren't the same thing as effective.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Willing and frequent aren't the same thing as effective.
Anytime you have a guy coming back and hounding the puck carrier its better than guys staying up ice in my opinion. I think he was the most frequent back checker I saw on the team last season. I do think he is weak on the defensive sideboards but since he is rarely on the ice for a goal against I think that can be improved and overcome.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote