HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any good College prospects this year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2012, 07:55 PM
  #1
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,068
vCash: 500
Any good College prospects this year?

Wondering if there's any chance that Murray will continue his Da Costa/Winnie trend and sign another college kid this year. Anybody know if there are any highly sought after unsigned college prospects?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:45 PM
  #2
German Senator
Registered User
 
German Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Dan Dekeyser and J.T. Brown will draw the most interest. Don´t know if we have a chance but Dekeyser seems like a really good prospect. Chris Rawlings and Scott Greenham (was at the dev. camp) are two goalies worth to take a look at.

German Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:56 PM
  #3
Smeddy
Intangibles
 
Smeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kanata
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,801
vCash: 177
I doubt anyone will sign with us now, not too many roster spots for them in the next few years.

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
  #4
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons
 
Ghost in the Shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 9,032
vCash: 920
Ludwig Karlsson, if we want more Swedes.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:00 PM
  #5
Hutz
Classless User
 
Hutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
I doubt anyone will sign with us now, not too many roster spots for them in the next few years.
Yes. Plus the last few college FAs we got we wooed with the promise of NHL time before playoffs. Given our current position, I don't think we're able to offer that this year.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
  #6
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
I would like the sens to sign Harry Zolniercyzk's former teammate at Brown Ujiversity, Jack Maclellan.

{From http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=869552

by poster leoleo3535

“Our best player, night in and night out,” says Whittet, who, like most everyone else in the U.S. hockey world, is wowed by Jack Maclellan’s offensive output this winter. “Our most complete player, our most skilled player, our most diligent guy. A competitor, a fierce competitor. He’s a coach’s dream. A creative guy, a wizard with the puck, sees the ice very, very well.

“A hell of a player and a wonderful kid.”


"This transformation occurred in a hurry. Nearly as quickly, National Hockey League bird-dogs have picked up the scent.

“Well, Jack’s got a lot of interest,” Whittet says. “Not a lot of guys have his skill-set. He’s an elite-level player, in terms of that skill . . . and there is a lot of buzz about him because he is (an NHL) free agent. A pretty hot commodity. I’m hearing different things around the rink.

“There may be some teams that would like him to leave (college before graduating). It’ll be interesting to see what happens, post-season, in terms of what angles the pro guys may be taking.”

Maclellan is happy to hear that his sterling play is dragging big-league scouts to the eastern side of the continent. But that, he swears, was never the intent."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1Ca9eINhI }

The Calgary Herald link doesn't work any more so I quoted the poster.

I like that fact that he is considered gritty and a fierce competitor while also being an offensive wizard. He seems like a guy that would fit nicely into our prospect pool.

I would also be interested in signing JT Brown and Scott Zurevinski, as well as Rich Manely, although he may want to continue his NCAA career.

From the CHL, I would be interested in signing Nick Czinder and Mike Halmo.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
  #7
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 4116
I remember some 6"8 defenseman or close to that tall getting some hype earlier in the year. I can't for the life of me remember his name though, hell it might have already been mentioned and i didnt notice

derriko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
  #8
BigEyedPhish
Registered User
 
BigEyedPhish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: :D
Country: United States
Posts: 7,375
vCash: 500
No, otherwise we would have signed them by now

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
  #9
topshelfie
Registered User
 
topshelfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
No, otherwise we would have signed them by now
Butler, Winchester and Greening were all signed late March early April.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:56 PM
  #10
Greeningfan14
Registered User
 
Greeningfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I remember some 6"8 defenseman or close to that tall getting some hype earlier in the year. I can't for the life of me remember his name though, hell it might have already been mentioned and i didnt notice
Andrej Sustr?

Greeningfan14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:14 PM
  #11
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
No, otherwise we would have signed them by now
They lose any scholarship they are on as soon as they sign a contract. Therefore most players won't sign an contract until at least the end of their hockey season.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
  #12
Legend Killer
Registered User
 
Legend Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,492
vCash: 1263
So we now have the last 4 "big" names dont we??

Da Costa, Butler, Gilroy, Winchester??

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
  #13
Sensored
Registered User
 
Sensored's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Butler, Winchester and Greening were all signed late March early April.
Greening is a Muckler draft pick. Butler, Winchester and Da Costa are Murrays college signings for Ottawa.

Sensored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
  #14
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jacob View Post
Andrej Sustr?
Yep, thats exactly who i was thinking of. Although it does look like his numbers have dropped off a little since I last read about him, 16 points in 29 games is pretty good for someone who is 6"8, I just remember him leading the d corps in points.

I also just realized the player he is second to is Bryce Aneloski. He can't be that good then Speaking of Aneloski, he's putting up some pretty good stats himself. He sure is under the radar here as he basically is a complete unknown. I thought he was a pmd and his stats show that, but I thought he was like 5"11, but hockeydb shows him at 6"2. That sounds pretty good for a 7th rounder...

derriko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
  #15
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,450
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Butler, Winchester and Greening were all signed late March early April.
We drafted Greening. We owned his rights.
DaCosta signed late as well. got 3 games in which burned a year of his contract.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
  #16
Husky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Barbados
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
college free agents cannot be signed until their hockey season is over.

Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:58 PM
  #17
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
So we now have the last 4 "big" names dont we??

Da Costa, Butler, Gilroy, Winchester??
4 out of 5.

Bozak was a big deal signing, too.


Last edited by BonkTastic: 02-29-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: I accidentally a letter.
BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
  #18
Ouroboros
Registered User
 
Ouroboros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,840
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
college free agents cannot be signed until their hockey season is over.
They can leave school whenever they want.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
  #19
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
would be nice to pick up a defenseman, actually.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
  #20
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I would like the sens to sign Harry Zolniercyzk's former teammate at Brown Ujiversity, Jack Maclellan.

{From http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=869552

by poster leoleo3535

“Our best player, night in and night out,” says Whittet, who, like most everyone else in the U.S. hockey world, is wowed by Jack Maclellan’s offensive output this winter. “Our most complete player, our most skilled player, our most diligent guy. A competitor, a fierce competitor. He’s a coach’s dream. A creative guy, a wizard with the puck, sees the ice very, very well.

“A hell of a player and a wonderful kid.”


"This transformation occurred in a hurry. Nearly as quickly, National Hockey League bird-dogs have picked up the scent.

“Well, Jack’s got a lot of interest,” Whittet says. “Not a lot of guys have his skill-set. He’s an elite-level player, in terms of that skill . . . and there is a lot of buzz about him because he is (an NHL) free agent. A pretty hot commodity. I’m hearing different things around the rink.

“There may be some teams that would like him to leave (college before graduating). It’ll be interesting to see what happens, post-season, in terms of what angles the pro guys may be taking.”

Maclellan is happy to hear that his sterling play is dragging big-league scouts to the eastern side of the continent. But that, he swears, was never the intent."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1Ca9eINhI }

The Calgary Herald link doesn't work any more so I quoted the poster.

I like that fact that he is considered gritty and a fierce competitor while also being an offensive wizard. He seems like a guy that would fit nicely into our prospect pool.

I would also be interested in signing JT Brown and Scott Zurevinski, as well as Rich Manely, although he may want to continue his NCAA career.

From the CHL, I would be interested in signing Nick Czinder and Mike Halmo.
This Jack guy sounds very interesting, are any of these other guys defencemen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I remember some 6"8 defenseman or close to that tall getting some hype earlier in the year. I can't for the life of me remember his name though, hell it might have already been mentioned and i didnt notice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jacob View Post
Andrej Sustr?
This would be a nice prospect to have for Ottawa & a defenceman which they could use more of.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:54 PM
  #21
Berserker*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
This Jack guy sounds very interesting, are any of these other guys defencemen?
.
No, none of the players I listed are d men. Although there appears to be a handful of solid defencemen UFA's from the NCAA this year. Dan Dekeyser is the most notable d man available. Eriah Hayes would be another good prospect, I believe he can play wing and defence. FQL brought up Kyle Fletcher in the NCAA fre agents thread in the prospects section, and it sounds like he would be another solid winger prospect.

Here is hockey futures list of top NCAA free agents http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nhl_interest/

I would be targeting Brown, Dekeyser, MacLellan, Welsh, Hayes and Zureviniski from that list.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
  #22
Buckleys
Registered User
 
Buckleys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
So we now have the last 4 "big" names dont we??

Da Costa, Butler, Gilroy, Winchester??
I don't think Winchester was a big deal, and while Butler was more of a bigger name, he did not garner the attention on the same level Bozak, Gilroy or Da Costa did.

Out of all of them, I think Da Costa will be the best though, like what I see from that guy.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
  #23
Sunfire
Registered User
 
Sunfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 82
vCash: 500
All the guys Murray has picked up so far have promise.

Winchester was a solid soldier in the bottom 6 and got the job done before his injury.

Da Costa has a lot of promise and 28 points in 32 games isn't bad.

Butler has had an up and down season but thats expected consider players coming out of the CHL have played many more games. He will come around and be a solid forward.

I do hope that Murray picks up another as a replacement for his 2nd that he moved. I am not sure who is standing out in the NCAA but I hope Murray can sign a top Dman so he can focus on rounding out our depth by drafting a goalie prospect in the 1st round.

Sunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:04 AM
  #24
harrisb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
All the guys Murray has picked up so far have promise.

Winchester was a solid soldier in the bottom 6 and got the job done before his injury.

Da Costa has a lot of promise and 28 points in 32 games isn't bad.

Butler has had an up and down season but thats expected consider players coming out of the CHL have played many more games. He will come around and be a solid forward.

I do hope that Murray picks up another as a replacement for his 2nd that he moved. I am not sure who is standing out in the NCAA but I hope Murray can sign a top Dman so he can focus on rounding out our depth by drafting a goalie prospect in the 1st round.
We may not need a goalie prospect any longer with Andy, Lehner and now Bishop around. We went from little depth to a fairly strong group. Don't waste a 1st is what I am saying

harrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:10 AM
  #25
Manny*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,200
vCash: 500
DeKeyser or Sustr would be great pickups. I wouldn't advise people to get their hopes up for DeKeyser, though. He's almost a lock to sign with Detroit.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.