HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any good College prospects this year?

Old
02-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
Any good College prospects this year?

Wondering if there's any chance that Murray will continue his Da Costa/Winnie trend and sign another college kid this year. Anybody know if there are any highly sought after unsigned college prospects?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:45 PM
German Senator

Dan Dekeyser and J.T. Brown will draw the most interest. Don´t know if we have a chance but Dekeyser seems like a really good prospect. Chris Rawlings and Scott Greenham (was at the dev. camp) are two goalies worth to take a look at.

German Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
I doubt anyone will sign with us now, not too many roster spots for them in the next few years.

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Ludwig Karlsson, if we want more Swedes.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddy View Post
I doubt anyone will sign with us now, not too many roster spots for them in the next few years.
Yes. Plus the last few college FAs we got we wooed with the promise of NHL time before playoffs. Given our current position, I don't think we're able to offer that this year.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Berserker*

I would like the sens to sign Harry Zolniercyzk's former teammate at Brown Ujiversity, Jack Maclellan.

{From http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=869552

by poster leoleo3535

“Our best player, night in and night out,” says Whittet, who, like most everyone else in the U.S. hockey world, is wowed by Jack Maclellan’s offensive output this winter. “Our most complete player, our most skilled player, our most diligent guy. A competitor, a fierce competitor. He’s a coach’s dream. A creative guy, a wizard with the puck, sees the ice very, very well.

“A hell of a player and a wonderful kid.”

"This transformation occurred in a hurry. Nearly as quickly, National Hockey League bird-dogs have picked up the scent.

“Well, Jack’s got a lot of interest,” Whittet says. “Not a lot of guys have his skill-set. He’s an elite-level player, in terms of that skill . . . and there is a lot of buzz about him because he is (an NHL) free agent. A pretty hot commodity. I’m hearing different things around the rink.

“There may be some teams that would like him to leave (college before graduating). It’ll be interesting to see what happens, post-season, in terms of what angles the pro guys may be taking.”

Maclellan is happy to hear that his sterling play is dragging big-league scouts to the eastern side of the continent. But that, he swears, was never the intent."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1Ca9eINhI }

The Calgary Herald link doesn't work any more so I quoted the poster.

I like that fact that he is considered gritty and a fierce competitor while also being an offensive wizard. He seems like a guy that would fit nicely into our prospect pool.

I would also be interested in signing JT Brown and Scott Zurevinski, as well as Rich Manely, although he may want to continue his NCAA career.

From the CHL, I would be interested in signing Nick Czinder and Mike Halmo.

Berserker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
I remember some 6"8 defenseman or close to that tall getting some hype earlier in the year. I can't for the life of me remember his name though, hell it might have already been mentioned and i didnt notice

derriko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
BigEyedPhish

No, otherwise we would have signed them by now

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
Butler, Winchester and Greening were all signed late March early April.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Greeningfan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I remember some 6"8 defenseman or close to that tall getting some hype earlier in the year. I can't for the life of me remember his name though, hell it might have already been mentioned and i didnt notice
Andrej Sustr?

Greeningfan14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
They lose any scholarship they are on as soon as they sign a contract. Therefore most players won't sign an contract until at least the end of their hockey season.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
So we now have the last 4 "big" names dont we??

Da Costa, Butler, Gilroy, Winchester??

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Sensored

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Greening is a Muckler draft pick. Butler, Winchester and Da Costa are Murrays college signings for Ottawa.

Sensored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jacob View Post
Andrej Sustr?
Yep, thats exactly who i was thinking of. Although it does look like his numbers have dropped off a little since I last read about him, 16 points in 29 games is pretty good for someone who is 6"8, I just remember him leading the d corps in points.

I also just realized the player he is second to is Bryce Aneloski. He can't be that good then Speaking of Aneloski, he's putting up some pretty good stats himself. He sure is under the radar here as he basically is a complete unknown. I thought he was a pmd and his stats show that, but I thought he was like 5"11, but hockeydb shows him at 6"2. That sounds pretty good for a 7th rounder...

derriko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
We drafted Greening. We owned his rights.
DaCosta signed late as well. got 3 games in which burned a year of his contract.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Husky

college free agents cannot be signed until their hockey season is over.

Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:58 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post

4 out of 5.

Bozak was a big deal signing, too.

Last edited by BonkTastic: 02-29-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: I accidentally a letter.
BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
college free agents cannot be signed until their hockey season is over.
They can leave school whenever they want.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
would be nice to pick up a defenseman, actually.

02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I would like the sens to sign Harry Zolniercyzk's former teammate at Brown Ujiversity, Jack Maclellan.

{From http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=869552

by poster leoleo3535

“Our best player, night in and night out,” says Whittet, who, like most everyone else in the U.S. hockey world, is wowed by Jack Maclellan’s offensive output this winter. “Our most complete player, our most skilled player, our most diligent guy. A competitor, a fierce competitor. He’s a coach’s dream. A creative guy, a wizard with the puck, sees the ice very, very well.

“A hell of a player and a wonderful kid.”

"This transformation occurred in a hurry. Nearly as quickly, National Hockey League bird-dogs have picked up the scent.

“Well, Jack’s got a lot of interest,” Whittet says. “Not a lot of guys have his skill-set. He’s an elite-level player, in terms of that skill . . . and there is a lot of buzz about him because he is (an NHL) free agent. A pretty hot commodity. I’m hearing different things around the rink.

“There may be some teams that would like him to leave (college before graduating). It’ll be interesting to see what happens, post-season, in terms of what angles the pro guys may be taking.”

Maclellan is happy to hear that his sterling play is dragging big-league scouts to the eastern side of the continent. But that, he swears, was never the intent."

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1Ca9eINhI }

The Calgary Herald link doesn't work any more so I quoted the poster.

I like that fact that he is considered gritty and a fierce competitor while also being an offensive wizard. He seems like a guy that would fit nicely into our prospect pool.

I would also be interested in signing JT Brown and Scott Zurevinski, as well as Rich Manely, although he may want to continue his NCAA career.

From the CHL, I would be interested in signing Nick Czinder and Mike Halmo.
This Jack guy sounds very interesting, are any of these other guys defencemen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jacob View Post
Andrej Sustr?
This would be a nice prospect to have for Ottawa & a defenceman which they could use more of.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
This Jack guy sounds very interesting, are any of these other guys defencemen?
No, none of the players I listed are d men. Although there appears to be a handful of solid defencemen UFA's from the NCAA this year. Dan Dekeyser is the most notable d man available. Eriah Hayes would be another good prospect, I believe he can play wing and defence. FQL brought up Kyle Fletcher in the NCAA fre agents thread in the prospects section, and it sounds like he would be another solid winger prospect.

Here is hockey futures list of top NCAA free agents http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._nhl_interest/

I would be targeting Brown, Dekeyser, MacLellan, Welsh, Hayes and Zureviniski from that list.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Buckleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post

I don't think Winchester was a big deal, and while Butler was more of a bigger name, he did not garner the attention on the same level Bozak, Gilroy or Da Costa did.

Out of all of them, I think Da Costa will be the best though, like what I see from that guy.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Sunfire

All the guys Murray has picked up so far have promise.

Winchester was a solid soldier in the bottom 6 and got the job done before his injury.

Da Costa has a lot of promise and 28 points in 32 games isn't bad.

Butler has had an up and down season but thats expected consider players coming out of the CHL have played many more games. He will come around and be a solid forward.

I do hope that Murray picks up another as a replacement for his 2nd that he moved. I am not sure who is standing out in the NCAA but I hope Murray can sign a top Dman so he can focus on rounding out our depth by drafting a goalie prospect in the 1st round.

Sunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:04 AM
harrisb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfire View Post
All the guys Murray has picked up so far have promise.

Winchester was a solid soldier in the bottom 6 and got the job done before his injury.

Da Costa has a lot of promise and 28 points in 32 games isn't bad.

Butler has had an up and down season but thats expected consider players coming out of the CHL have played many more games. He will come around and be a solid forward.

I do hope that Murray picks up another as a replacement for his 2nd that he moved. I am not sure who is standing out in the NCAA but I hope Murray can sign a top Dman so he can focus on rounding out our depth by drafting a goalie prospect in the 1st round.
We may not need a goalie prospect any longer with Andy, Lehner and now Bishop around. We went from little depth to a fairly strong group. Don't waste a 1st is what I am saying

harrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Manny*

DeKeyser or Sustr would be great pickups. I wouldn't advise people to get their hopes up for DeKeyser, though. He's almost a lock to sign with Detroit.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote