HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Was Turning Down 4 1st Round Picks Wrong?

Old
02-29-2012, 03:47 PM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Pittsburgh beg to differ.
Pittsburgh is trying to win, I don't get it.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Pittsburgh is trying to win, I don't get it.
Apparently not. Tank + drafting Crosby/Malkin etc and winning a SC is a "culture of losing? I'll take that culture.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Apparently not. Tank + drafting Crosby/Malkin etc and winning a SC is a "culture of losing? I'll take that culture.
Who is the Crosby/Malkin this draft year?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Crosby was not the direct result of a tanking. There was no season and a handful of teams were given 3 balls, some 2 and some 1 in the lottery

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Who is the Crosby/Malkin this draft year?
I would rather go all out to try and get Murray, Grigorenko or even/especially Yakupov rather than continue our mediocrity. Quality > quantity.

Old
02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Ricky Bobby

Not trading Grabo for a 1st rounder was a huge mistake as he is a pending UFA and not a guy we should be committing big dollars to. There was a rumour that it was Washington offering their 1st. If that is true that pick was going to end up in the 10-20 range which is a darn valuable asset (provided they don't go on some miracle playoff run which looks very unlikely). Signing him to a 5 million per year deal as is being reported will be an even bigger mistake than not trading him.

Having our own 1st rounder, another 1st rounder plus lots of depth players to trade could would have lined us up to get that top end forward we desperately need this off-season.

Kulemin & Schenn can both be revisited at a later time. Just trading both of these players away for 1st rounders who we control for a number of years is just going with the grass is always greener theory.

CMac is a guy that I've been advocating we trade for quite a while but he can always be traded later down the road. CMac represents what we already have too much of us which is non-physical players who can't cycle. There are numerous candidates capable of taking his spot in Kadri, Frattin and maybe Colborne. But maybe we don't get offered a 1st for him next year or at the draft but I feel extremely confident in saying the drop off between what we offered for him at this deadline and down the road won't be drastic.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:05 PM
the word*

The hockey market for players on deadline day is tricky. TSN kept assuring us, for well over a month, that this was going to be a sellers market. Well, outside of the Paul Gaustad deal it really wasn't.

Last years deadline was the time to be a seller. Look at the returns the Oilers and the Senators got for Penner and Fisher. 2 1st round picks and a third round pick for Penner?

How is Penner worth more than Grabovski, or MacArthur for that matter. Going by the president set last year the Leafs should have got 4 first round picks and change for Grabovski and MacArthur alone.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:10 PM
trellaine201

there is no way he was offered 4 picks. He would have been dumb not to do it. he probably meant 4 teams offered him a first round pick for one of our players.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:26 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

i would have taken 1sts for mac and kulemin without hesitation.

i would demand more for schenn.

i would not trade and then re-sign grabovski.

those 2 extra 1sts would've been money to have at the draft. could help us move up if we needed to (hopefully we don't have to) or take another hefty run at nash.

i do honestly believe though that burke held off because we'd have to replace them with some kids from the marlies - kids the marlies need for their calder run.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
there is no way he was offered 4 picks. He would have been dumb not to do it. he probably meant 4 teams offered him a first round pick for one of our players.
nope, he was offered first rounders for schenn, kulemin, grabo and mac. i think he said the mac one was conditional tho.

Old
02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Stassino

Quote:
nope, he was offered first rounders for schenn, kulemin, grabo and mac. i think he said the mac one was conditional tho.
Is there any proof?

I highly doubt Mac was worth a first of any kind..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
Is there any proof?

the words came out of brian burke's mouth, what more do you want?

Old
02-29-2012, 06:18 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
the words came out of brian burke's mouth, what more do you want?
Why would anyone believe a word that Burke says . The guy gets in front of a mic and just starts babbling . I bet he doesn't remember what he says 5 mins after the interview .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:26 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Why would anyone believe a word that Burke says . The guy gets in front of a mic and just starts babbling . I bet he doesn't remember what he says 5 mins after the interview .
so if i linked you to an article written by some toronto media source, you're more inclined to believe that?

Old
02-29-2012, 06:29 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stassino View Post
Is there any proof?

Burkie said it Monday, and im fairly sure it was reported by several media sources in the past couple months.

I'm also willing to bet Nashville was a team whom offered a 1st for one of Mac, Kulie, or Grabo. Probably Kulie as hes RFA. They gave Buffalo a first for freaken Gaustad.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
mjamesc
Rookie User

Don't see how trading these players for 1st round picks is logical. For a hysterical fanbase desperate for the team to win, trading away your second line doesn't seem right. I can see the logic behind trading grabovski as he could demand ~5M come the offseason...But to trade away numerous players from your top 6 just seems backwards. Not to mention all of these players are young. I heard some headless chickens freaking out about this on the radio last night and I dont get it.

So no, turning down 4 picks was not wrong. Why give away four players, 3 of whom are in our top 6, for prospects who might never see the nhl..and if they do it could be 4 years from now. Just absurd.

mjamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjamesc View Post
Don't see how trading these players for 1st round picks is logical. For a hysterical fanbase desperate for the team to win, trading away your second line doesn't seem right. I can see the logic behind trading grabovski as he could demand ~5M come the offseason...But to trade away numerous players from your top 6 just seems backwards. Not to mention all of these players are young. I heard some headless chickens freaking out about this on the radio last night and I dont get it.

So no, turning down 4 picks was not wrong. Why give away four players, 3 of whom are in our top 6, for prospects who might never see the nhl..and if they do it could be 4 years from now. Just absurd.
why? because they have been on a team that haven't made the playoffs in forever and maybe, just maybe, we could package them for ELITE talent. We would forget about CMac real quick if we had Yakupov.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:47 PM
ItsOurGame

I would have traded Macarthur for the 1st then sent him to Tampa for Downie in a second

ItsOurGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:54 PM
RogerRoeper*

For Grabovski? Yes. For the others? No.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Again, how do we know 1 team didn't offer their 1st for 1 player off our 2nd line?

That would meet the requirements of a 1st being offered for each of them

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

So now we're taking Dreger's word as gospel?

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:22 PM
TheSilencer

I still think Dreger was full of s**t about the 4 first rounders. This is gonna make the leafs nation speculate about this for the rest of the year. Well done Dregs.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:27 PM
calcal798

The only one that I would have done is Macarthur, then call up Kadri.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
I still think Dreger was full of s**t about the 4 first rounders. This is gonna make the leafs nation speculate about this for the rest of the year. Well done Dregs.
This !!

Dreger spits out whatever message the leafs want to get out to the fans . This guy's Nonis's lap dog and has zero credibility .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Edgeworth*

I don't mean to sound too gloom and doom but I think this was a serious wrong turn for Burke. This team isn't going in the right direction. The multiple 1st rounders could have solidified the organization quite a lot. You turn a(nother) 5 year rebuild into a 2 year rebuild? Coming out wiht a top 5 pick like a Grigorenko or a Forsberg, then shifting and grabbing a goaltender like Malcom Subban or Vasilevski plus people like Frk, Samuelsson, Maata, Ceci, etc. there's a ton of options where you come out wiht a great goaltending prospect, good forwards and good D and a franchise center/winger.

And you lose a 2nd line. A good 2nd line but one that could be replaced by guys like Kadri and Colborne.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote