HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn to Nashville for 2013 2nd return the conditional pick in Gill Trade

Old
02-28-2012, 08:29 AM
pekkaslap

vCash: 500
I can't help but wonder what AK and SK on the same line would be like. I know it probably won't happen for team chemistry's sake and we've got a good thing going. However, we've got a passing brother and a shooting brother, what pair does that make you think of? hehe

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:31 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Poile has said in every interview i've heard that AK felt like he was being underused in Montreal....interesting.
right. look at SK's time in Montreal. All we heard was how awful he was, how bad his attitude was, how much he sucked.

It's amazing what going to a new situation where you're not inexplicably buried on the fourth line will do for you.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Poile has said in every interview i've heard that AK felt like he was being underused in Montreal....interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
right. look at SK's time in Montreal. All we heard was how awful he was, how bad his attitude was, how much he sucked.

It's amazing what going to a new situation where you're not inexplicably buried on the fourth line will do for you.
When Gill was interviewed before the game yesterday, he also mentioned that AK was in a tough situation in Montreal. But my favourite comment came from either Trotz or Poile (can't remember which, watched too many videos) when they said that it was their role to get the A game out of Andrei. That sounds great to this AK fan. Coaches/management committed to getting the best out of him rather than playing him in a system that doesn't suit him, forcing him to learn to improve his game but not rewarding him for doing so and constantly removing him from lines he plays well on only to dump him with players he has a history of not succeeding with and who can't understand let alone compliment his game in 11 minutes or less of ice time. And despite all that, demanding he play his best hockey. And when he wants to stay with the team despite ALL of that, questioning his commitment to the team. Watching Mathieu Darche (who works really hard for the team) try to make a rink wide pass to AK skating up the other wing, only for the pass to be 6-7 feet behind Andrei pretty much sums up his season.

It's all about working hard in Montreal right now. Unfortunately, working intelligently hasn't found its way into the gameplan just yet. The puck is a secondary issue for the Habs, it's not required for having a good game. If you move your feet constantly, you had a good game. You did something nice with the puck? Well good for you. But did you move your feet? We had about 5 players against the Canes the other night who could be counted on to make a pass of the 'more than blindingly simple' variety and we just traded one of them to the Preds (not Hal)

If EA Sports next NHL game has a pass feature for more than 25% of our roster next year then we had better have overhauled our roster or I'm finding their offices and scrawing 'IT'S NOT IN THE GAME, B****' across their building in the blood of the innocent.

Grrrr
/rant

Anyways, you guys just acquired the more talented brother (IMO). How does that sound?

For any who haven't seen it yet, this is probably the best AK vid I've seen on youtube and it doesn't even feature his plays over the last few seasons. Hopefully this is the type of play you start to get out of him in Nashville.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 09:18 AM
wadesworld

OK, that video has me officially excited. Man, I hope the change of scenery does him good.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
OK, that video has me officially excited. Man, I hope the change of scenery does him good.
Unfortunately he isn't that guy every night, if he was, it would have taken more than a 2nd/5th to get him. But he is capable of that level of play and when things go well for him and he goes on a streak, he can play at a PPG level for a couple of months, maybe more (unless you try and run him out of town by manufacturing a crime related story, for example), dominate games, hit hard, go to the net and be okay defensively (although there may be some lapses in there too).

He struggles most in the D zone when facing Dmen who love to pinch IMO. He can be a bit slow to pick up on what the D is doing, but if they stay at the point he can fight for the puck on the half boards and tries to block shots from the point (took a Chara slapshot in the playoffs last year and tried to play through it but couldn't). Against the rush, he can be pretty good getting back and winning the puck back but if he is stationary in the Dzone and suddenly has someone to chase, he isn't always aware of it. Generally speaking though, if you can get him happy and confident, you will rarely have an issue with his work ethic. He'll still make some mistakes, fanning on a shot, not controlling a pass, taking on an opponent 1 on 1 instead of an easier play, but he'll bring plenty to your team.

For anyone interested, I keep some stats on AK, they haven't been updated for a few months but they cover most of his career. Up to the last point they were updated, around the end of November, against the West he's played 69 games, got 17G and 21A with 4 GWG, a +8 record and 39PIMs (23 of those are against Chicago and most of those happened in one game). In 5 games against Nashville, he has a goal and an assist. Against the other teams in the division:
Det: 4gp, 2a
Chi: 4gp, 2a (I think he had a goal against them since I updated my stats)
Clb: 4gp, 2a
StL: 3gp, 1g, 1a

Elsewhere in the conference, he tends to own Colorado, LA and Phoenix and scores every other game against Vancouver. Statistically, he struggles most against Edmonton and Calgary but I think that's fairly true of the Habs in recent years.

If anyone has any questions about his play or stats, feel free to ask, I've watched almost every game he has played in North America since the start of his 2nd year in the AHL.

@wadesworld: Here is another vid of some more recent highlights (2010/2011 season)

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:34 AM
smitty10

Kostitsyn is just a phenominal pick up. Now that he'll be used properly, we'll see him become the 30-30 player he was projected to be when he was drafted.

BTW, can someone please make me a Andrei Kostitsyn avatar after he plays a game for Nashville?

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
I can't help but wonder what AK and SK on the same line would be like. I know it probably won't happen for team chemistry's sake and we've got a good thing going. However, we've got a passing brother and a shooting brother, what pair does that make you think of? hehe
Back in 08-09. Kostitsyn-Lang-Kostitsyn was a pretty effective 3rd line for us, and then Lang got injured, and then the whole Sergei shenanigans began and they rarely played together afterwards. But I'm sure now that they've both cemented a place in the NHL, they could be dangerous together.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Am I allowed to pat myself on the back for predicting the eventual acquisition of both AK46 & Gill as early as January 18, 2012...

Good for Poile for saving the first rndr to use in the other TDL trade in order to grab Gaustad.
so are you creasy or ***************?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
so are you creasy or ***************?
Oh...low blow.

02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Some other elements about AK:

-He was a popular player in the dressing room. Was well-liked by other teammates.
-He's a strong physical player. He hits alot.
-The very few times I saw both brothers playing together, they were dynamite.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Legionnaire11

so they didn't go with first initial! I like that

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I know I'm supposed to be on the bandwagon now, but this looks wrong. Ugh, I'm so bitter

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I know I'm supposed to be on the bandwagon now, but this looks wrong. Ugh, I'm so bitter
Imagine it on a Leafs sweater and it'll make you enjoy this more.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

I'll tell you one thing, if you can get AK to keep his feet moving, he'll be Ovechkin-lite for you. He'll hit, dangle and snipe as well as almost any other player when he plays with speed (hence his ridiculous "hot-streaks", just look at the highlights above^). The key is getting him to do that consistently.

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
nhlfan9191

AK is such a bum.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
AK is such a bum.
So was SK, and he led us in scoring.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 04:55 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
I'll tell you one thing, if you can get AK to keep his feet moving, he'll be Ovechkin-lite for you. He'll hit, dangle and snipe as well as almost any other player when he plays with speed (hence his ridiculous "hot-streaks", just look at the highlights above^). The key is getting him to do that consistently.
Trotz got a lot out of SK after a lot of people thought he couldn't be salvaged. Let's hope he works some of that magic on AK, and gets him to reach his true potential. If there is one thing that earns you ice time in Nashville it's consistency.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Ovechkin like? Who do you get your angel dust from?

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 08:25 PM
LeMAD

One thing you'll notice, AK is the exact opposite of SK. One brother's strenghts are the other's weaknesses.

AK was hated in Mtl, but playing out of the spotlight might help him.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:17 PM
WartracePred

Trotz said there would be an adjustment period for AK because the Montreal system is somewhat different to the style of play in Nashville -- "Montreal plays more of a back-up, control-type of game."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...|text|Sports|s

What type of game do the Preds play? And how is it different from the Habs?

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Trotz said there would be an adjustment period for AK because the Montreal system is somewhat different to the style of play in Nashville -- "Montreal plays more of a back-up, control-type of game."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...|text|Sports|s

What type of game do the Preds play? And how is it different from the Habs?
I don't know the answer to your question but after his first 2 periods, he got put on a line with Erat and Bourque and started looking good. I can't wait until next game. Give the man a couple of practices. But if Trotz tries to put him on a line with Legwand and Hornqvist again, I'll blame the coach.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:42 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but after his first 2 periods, he got put on a line with Erat and Bourque and started looking good. I can't wait until next game. Give the man a couple of practices. But if Trotz tries to put him on a line with Legwand and Hornqvist again, I'll blame the coach.
I missed most of the first, but I did see one hell of a scoring chance AK had with Leggy. Legwand skated in just above the circle and dropped the puck to AK who fired away lightning quick. No hesitation, reminded me of Smith. But his shot was set up by Leggy.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Leggy wasn't the issue on that first line. Hornqvist is in no way a producer. AK and Leggy can work with the right guy on the other side. Bourque? Wilson? Smith?

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Legwand + AK would be ok together, but Hornqvist shouldn't be on there. I'd like to see Wilson there and limit Horny's even strength time.

As for styles, I would say that we play an aggressive forecheck, north-south, grind it out in the corners type of game and rely on neutral zone transition, whereas Montreal is more of a puck control, east-west system. I'm really not that familiar with them though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote