HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ways to watch games

Old
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Gr8Dan

vCash: 500
Ways to watch games

With Time warner prices going sky high and Direct tv and Dish network not having fox sports carolinas in a package that is over priced, is there an alternate way to watch games?

If I watch games on the internet through a paid service like nhl.com, will they black out home games? Will they show all games even with different broadcasts?

I need to know because I'm about to cancel my cable and don't have many options as to watch games on FSN Carolinas or NBC sports.

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Even if you don't have cable or another way of watching on TV, GameCenter will block out any Canes game in your area if a broadcast is available.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Are you in the FSN Carolina region? if so, illegal streams are the only alternative.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dan View Post
With Time warner prices going sky high and Direct tv and Dish network not having fox sports carolinas in a package that is over priced, is there an alternate way to watch games?

If I watch games on the internet through a paid service like nhl.com, will they black out home games? Will they show all games even with different broadcasts?

I need to know because I'm about to cancel my cable and don't have many options as to watch games on FSN Carolinas or NBC sports.
Gamecenter Live (off the NHL's website) blacks out all games involving the Hurricanes for those that live in the broadcasting region of Fox Sports Carolinas. It doesn't even let you select the option of viewing the other team's broadcast. The only exception to this rule is the games that are not televised by FSC, which you can watch the opposing team's broadcast for.

If you're willing to put up with questionable quality, you can usually find the games on random video streaming sites on the internet. They work, you sometimes get the Canes' crew, but it's a crapshoot about what quality stream you'll get.

EDIT: I combined both Dubinchuk and LazyKing's posts into one super-post, and I'm less than two minutes behind them. I win.

bilpeto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Gr8Dan

Damn, yeah im from goldsboro so they will block me out.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
Gamecenter Live (off the NHL's website) blacks out all games involving the Hurricanes for those that live in the broadcasting region of Fox Sports Carolinas. It doesn't even let you select the option of viewing the other team's broadcast. The only exception to this rule is the games that are not televised by FSC, which you can watch the opposing team's broadcast for.

If you're willing to put up with questionable quality, you can usually find the games on random video streaming sites on the internet. They work, you sometimes get the Canes' crew, but it's a crapshoot about what quality stream you'll get.

EDIT: I combined both Dubinchuk and LazyKing's posts into one super-post, and I'm less than two minutes behind them. I win.

LOL I use illegal streams but that's cause I'm broke. I don't live in the area but long story short, the quality of the streams vary, but I find one every night where Its acceptable, with no lag issues.

next year I'm getting GCL/CI

Old
02-29-2012, 07:26 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
LOL I use illegal streams but that's cause I'm broke. I don't live in the area but long story short, the quality of the streams vary, but I find one every night where Its acceptable, with no lag issues.

next year I'm getting GCL/CI
I'll be doing the logical choice and moving back IN to Raleigh, where I'll actually be able to watch games on TV and not waste $160 or whatever on GCL that I can't use for Canes games.

So there's that....

However, GCL is fantastic. I can't speak for Center Ice, as I've never used it outside of the trial periods, but you really can't go wrong with GCL. You can have monthly payments of $20 or whatever it is, which is perfectly reasonable. And...you'll get to watch the Sharks games too. (Or whatever other teams strike your fancy)

Old
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Yea if I lived down there, life would be much easier lol.. but I don't and all get up here is Bruins.. kill me now.

The blackout rules are stupid cause I know alot of people who are just doing without cable nowadays... Hell I wouldn't even have it if it wasn't for my place being connected to another lol.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:50 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Yea if I lived down there, life would be much easier lol.. but I don't and all get up here is Bruins.. kill me now.

The blackout rules are stupid cause I know alot of people who are just doing without cable nowadays... Hell I wouldn't even have it if it wasn't for my place being connected to another lol.
So you're saying you don't like listening to Jack Edwards? I didn't know it was possible...

Old
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

I would pay good, hard-earned American money if the NHL had the equivalent of MLB's At Bat.

Online streaming and DVR.
Mobile streaming.
The ability to catch home/away feeds.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
So you're saying you don't like listening to Jack Edwards? I didn't know it was possible...
lets put it this way, I'd rather listen to Dale Arnold the former pbp bruins guy then Jack...

the only time watch the bruins on tv is when they play the canes and that's on mute...

Old
02-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Mebanecanesfan
The Dirty Areas!

Hockeystreams.com. It's a paid site that's cheaper than Gamecenter and they don't blackout local games. I've been using it for 3 years now and the quality is very good. They have streams for idevices too. They show the Playoffs & World Championships. I've never had an issues with it. You pay by credit card and again I've never had any issues in 3 years.

Mebanecanesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebanecanesfan View Post
Hockeystreams.com. It's a paid site that's cheaper than Gamecenter and they don't blackout local games. I've been using it for 3 years now and the quality is very good. They have streams for idevices too. They show the Playoffs & World Championships. I've never had an issues with it. You pay by credit card and again I've never had any issues in 3 years.
I may have to check that out

Old
02-29-2012, 10:26 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/forums/29-NHL-Icehockey

I don't think there's any stream you can't find on that site.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
I would pay good, hard-earned American money if the NHL had the equivalent of MLB's At Bat.

Online streaming and DVR.
Mobile streaming.
The ability to catch home/away feeds.
That's exactly what Gamecenter Live is. I can pull up any game from the last couple of seasons and watch it. I actually watched most of the Chi/Tor game last night riding back from the UNC/MD game on my iPhone - very watchable.

Or does At-Bat not have any blackouts?

The blackouts suck sometimes - the one that annoys me are the NHL Network games - I can't get those at all as my cable provider doesn't offer it..at any price, or Center Ice for that matter.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

NHL Center Ice. I've had it for the past eight years, love it.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

^won't work for the OP but I'm seriously thinking of going with center ice as well.. easier then GCL for me cause don't have to put a card online.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

My favorite streaming site is livetv(dot)ru

If its not cool to post this mods I'll take it down.

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:20 PM
bleedgreen

I've had gamecenter for 3 years now and really like the quality. Having the avs and all the other blackouts has me considering hockey streams though. Anyone try out both? Difference in picture quality? Different experience?

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Mebanecanesfan
The Dirty Areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I've had gamecenter for 3 years now and really like the quality. Having the avs and all the other blackouts has me considering hockey streams though. Anyone try out both? Difference in picture quality? Different experience?
I can't speak on Gamecenter but Hockey Streams picture quality has been great for me. I've used them now for 3 years and it's gotten better every year. This year they seem to be about as good as you're gonna get anywhere IMO

Old
03-01-2012, 10:37 PM
bleedgreen

well with gamecenter i can hook up the laptop to the tv, and it looks basically HD. sometimes it comes in and out with the quality, but thats a reflection of my buildings weak wifi more than gamecenter.

that would be my concern, because i like everything else ive heard about them - especially playoffs and world championship coverage. thats where gamecenter blows.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Mebanecanesfan
The Dirty Areas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
well with gamecenter i can hook up the laptop to the tv, and it looks basically HD. sometimes it comes in and out with the quality, but thats a reflection of my buildings weak wifi more than gamecenter.

that would be my concern, because i like everything else ive heard about them - especially playoffs and world championship coverage. thats where gamecenter blows.
Haven't tried that with HS so can't help you on that one.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

You can hook any computer to a tv, that's how I watch a lot of things and even play pc games. All you need is an hdmi cable, as almost every tv has an hdmi input (if you got a flatscreen you got hdmi). Some computers don't have hdmi outputs but that can be fixed with a cheap video card.

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 06:29 AM
SCanedinavian

What about getting a proxy to make GCL think that you're in a different state? Should be possible if you have a decent internet connection. For example http://strongvpn.com/

SCanedinavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:11 AM
SweetStormRising

If you don't want to mess with hooking your computer to the TV, you can buy a Roku device to manage your streaming. It offers GCL and does things like netflix as well.

SweetStormRising is offline   Reply With Quote