HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Komisarek

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Eb0la11

vCash: 500
Mike Komisarek

Hey guys, please describe the play of Mike Komisarek. What are his strengths and weaknesses as a defenceman for Montreal? I know hes got some good size but is he mobile? Does he have offensive upside? Hows his play in his own end? How would you rank him un the top 6 potential? Thanks alot.

Old
01-30-2006, 07:44 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
He Is The Man

Old
01-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Eb0la11

Can you elaborate? I mean, can someone please provide me with an unbiased opinion?

Old
01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
BORAT

Great young Defenseman with

At worse : A Hal Gill Type Defenseman
At Best : A Scott Stevens in his late 30's type defenseman.

Old
01-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Right now, he's playing like Aki Berg.

Old
01-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Eb0la11

Scott stevens in his late 30s was a fricken stud who scored tons and played good D... Hall gill is pretty much big and stays at home. So that leaves me kinda still wondering. I guess what u are saying is he is physical. ???

Old
01-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Right now, he's playing like A p*&?y

Old
01-30-2006, 08:20 PM
phil

he's nowhere close of scoring tons of goals... he only had an assist this season, but he's getting better and more physical... still does some mistakes though

Old
01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
Scott stevens in his late 30s was a fricken stud who scored tons and played good D... Hall gill is pretty much big and stays at home. So that leaves me kinda still wondering. I guess what u are saying is he is physical. ???
See Hall Gill. Huge, good mobility although not a great skater, huge frame which could be used more, but still physical.

Lacks a bit in hockey sense, but the guy started playing hockey at 13 or 14, so he could still develop it I think.

He has offensive upside, as his passes are usually crisp and he has a hard shot.

Reason why he has not developped offensively yet, IMO, is that he was not given the chance. never saw PP time basically, rarely played more than 12-15 mins a game, etc.

He is not playing really well right now, but that can be esplained by a lack of confidence caused by the player rotation put in place to play Streit once in a while at the beginning of the year, and even more by the recent death of his mom to a pretty aggressive case of cancer from what I read.

The guy has upside, but hasn't had the context on his side yet. Played huge in the 2004 playoffs though, we know it's there, but right now he's struggling to put it out.

Old
01-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Form and Substance

He's still making the same mental mistakes he did 2-3 years ago, that worries me a little.

Old
01-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I have to say I have never, ever seen where those Scott Stevens comparisons came from. It's not even close. Not in talent nor in style. They are not similar Dmen and I mean at all.

Right now I see Komisarek becoming a rich man's or poor man's Mike Rathje, depending on the rest of his progression. He's a gentle giant that has the ability to crush and manhandle people along the boards yet does not do it on a consistant enough basis (though you can gauge his confidence level by his physical involvement in a game).

He is VERY limited in terms of offense. His only move on the opposite blueline when in the offensive zone consists of weakly wrist shooting the puck towards the net and hoping a forward picks it from there. You get the occasional slap shot from the point, which is a booming one though not accurate, but he almost never uses it.

He's a defense first type of guy who lacks a bit in hockey sense but does have above average athletic abilities, meaning he can move well on the ice for a man his size.

His outlet passes are crisp, too crisp in fact, as they are very hard to handle for the forwards.

He seems like a team guy from the little we know about his personality and a very likeable and bright individual.

Right now he's struggling, probably because of the new rules combined with the recent passing away of his mother.

I think he has the potential to become a solid top-4 defensive bruising type of guy, though I think his physical game will always be inconsistent simply because he has no mean streak to speak of. But he's the kind of guy in a couple of years (if everything goes well) will be relied on to play 20-25 minutes a game in a defensive first style and paired with a puck-moving dman.

Last edited by Munchausen: 01-30-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old
01-30-2006, 09:08 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11
Hey guys, please describe the play of Mike Komisarek. What are his strengths and weaknesses as a defenceman for Montreal? I know hes got some good size but is he mobile? Does he have offensive upside? Hows his play in his own end? How would you rank him un the top 6 potential? Thanks alot.
Stevens throws the big hits and has good hockey sense and has a good shot. In wide open early career scored a ton of points. Mike is bigger and stronger but is growing into his body see John Leclair. Whether he puts it all together will depend on whether he becomes a Rod Langway with a lil better offensive upside.

Old
01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
I have to say I have never, ever seen where those Scott Stevens comparisons came from. It's not even close. Not in talent nor in style. They are not similar Dmen and I mean at all.

Right now I see Komisarek becoming a rich man's or poor man's Mike Rathje, depending on the rest of his progression. He's a gentle giant that has the ability to crush and manhandle people along the boards yet does not do it on a consistant enough basis (though you can gauge his confidence level by his physical involvement in a game).

He is VERY limited in terms of offense. His only move on the opposite blueline when in the offensive zone consists of weakly wrist shooting the puck towards the net and hoping a forward picks it from there. You get the occasional slap shot from the point, which is a booming one though not accurate, but he almost never uses it.

He's a defense first type of guy who lacks a bit in hockey sense but does have above average athletic abilities, meaning he can move well on the ice for a man his size.

His outlet passes are crisp, too crisp in fact, as they are very hard to handle for the forwards.

He seems like a team guy from the little we know about his personality and a very likeable and bright individual.

Right now he's struggling, probably because of the new rules combined with the recent passing away of his mother.

I think he has the potential to become a solid top-4 defensive bruising type of guy, though I think his physical game will always be inconsistent simply because he has no mean streak to speak of. But he's the kind of guy in a couple of years (if everything goes well) will be relied on to play 20-25 minutes a game in a defensive first style and paired with a puck-moving dman.

Good overview of Komisarek. I was thinking along the likes of Willie Mitchell in Min, who took a long time to develop, and Bryan Allen, out here in Vanc., who after countless injuries and waiting has moved into a Top-4 spot.

Note: Komer has had some serious shoulder injuries. He had to have surgery last year which kept him from playing in Hamilton until real late in the season, I think he got in 17 games. That may be mentally affecting his physical, plus a young player losing almost a full season is not a good thing. I wonder if he had played a full year in the A last year if he would have had a better start this year.

Too early to give up because of all of the above reason.

Old
01-31-2006, 12:35 AM
tinyzombies

I have a very different take on him.

I think he has above average speed, and very good agility for a man his size. His progress has been set back due to his injury last year and this year he's been messed with by Julien big time. I get the impression he hasn't been handled properly, but I can't confirm it obviously.

When playing his pure game, he likes to run out of position and make the big hit. If partnered with someone steady, this works well, but we have no one steady other than Markov who is on our top pair. His reads have improved, then he regressed. I don't know why. I think they are telling him different things at different times. He seems confused. Now he's back to playing a quiet, conservative game so he's not hitting as much and seems a bit flatfooted, but his play has been more consistent defensively. One annoying tendency is for him to stand around at the net as a bystander. When he's on his game, and especially when he was paired with Souray, he knocks people down.

His mobility with the puck is not very good. Part of that seems to be a problem with our system (which had/has an awful breakout and transition scheme). We don't use our speed at all and nobody is ever open. The forwards are sick of waiting for the pass that they all tend to hang out at the other blueline, so none are ever open. At this point, Komi is not developed as a puck-carrier. He stops moving his feet when the traffic gets in his face and he has no feints or dekes and doesn't use his body to protect the puck.

On offense, he uses a very short stick with a big curve. He is a very good passer, but his vision is lacking. His anticipation on offense is not developed. His footwork is tangled also, so his release is slow. He has a hard, low shot that usually is on net tho. People have wondered why they don't try him on the PP. At least he hits the net, unlike Souray or Streit.

He's a big man and his upside, if he improves his reads, is VAST. His offense may always be limited, but 20+ points and a rock solid physical game should be in his future.

He seems too affable to be captain material, but he is a calm, poised guy who seems discouraged right now. I look forward to watching him regain his focus because when he sets his mind to it, he doesn't seem to be the type to cut corners.

He's a good skater, so there's no excuse for him to not be moving his feet and stay active.

Old
01-31-2006, 12:43 AM
Rayne*

Pros: Size and strength, good skater
Cons: Everything else about his play

Old
01-31-2006, 08:20 AM
Dr. Charles

Right now he is good at one thing

- being a deception for now

Old
01-31-2006, 08:58 AM
mcphee

Right now,he's playing with so little confidence that it's hard to give much of an evaluation.

Old
01-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Darz

Komisarek has the type of size and skating ability that makes GM's drool, but has yet to put everything together to the point that he could even be considered a well rounded defenceman.

Imo, Komi is a good skating, mobile dman, that can use his size, with limited offensive upside. I think the next year or two, Komisarek is going to show if he is a top 4 dman, or a number 6-7 guy like he is right now.

Right now, Mike makes too many mental mistakes in the defensive zone, and hasn't show any real offensive touch, but with that being said, the mistakes he makes are the type that I think Mike can learn from. I think similiar to Craig Rivet and Stephane Quintal has shown in the past, Mike's game will be more valuable to the team, when he starts playing a simplier game. The longer the puck remains on his stick, the worse off the team is.

Mike needs to learn to better anticipate the play and to learn to locate his teammates better when in trouble. These type of things are, imo, things you have to learn 'on the job' so hopefully in the near future we will see Mike better in these areas.

Of the positive side, Mike does seem to be giving 100% on every shift, has shown that he can handle the rough stuff when needed and from time to time can lay a very punishing body check on an opponent.

Bottom line: Mike Komisarek = still a work in progress.

01-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Teufelsdreck

I see a few mistakes/misperceptions in this thread.

First, he had hip surgery, not sdhoulder surgery.

Second, despite his size and strength, he can be knocked down. I have noticed this happening in collisions with smaller forwards.

I think he should play with more of an edge, see opposing forwards as bandits who are trying to rob his house.

I think he should occasionally shoot the puck as hard as he can to make himself less predictable to the defense. If he's wild, well, so is Souray.

Closed Thread