HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Summers and Stone rating so far

Old
02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Rink Rage

vCash: 500
Nevermind

Rink Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
I may be a little bias towards Summers, as I have been a fan of his since we drafted him. However, he is playing great. He fits right into our system. He's physical, although not overly so, and he can skate well. There is no way he isn't back next year.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
awfulwaffle

I can't say anything bad about this duo. Stone got thrown into the lions den, and has responded just fine. Our defense is something to be rivaled. Other teams would love to have our defense. We have such great depth. It's just going to be tough when Klesla comes back. He is hands down our best defenseman, and we can only get better when he comes back. Stone will be going away when he does, and Stone/Summers have appeared to grown some chemistry.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink Rage View Post
Nevermind

Come on.... sometimes I feel the need to go out of my way and be especially nice, to make my point with certain posters.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Rink Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Come on.... sometimes I feel the need to go out of my way and be especially nice, to make my point with certain posters.
I got a stat wrong.

Rink Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Summers has earned a roster spot for next year, IMO. At worst, I thought that we were getting someone for the 5/6 pairing. Summers actually has the potential to log the 3/4 minutes, but the problem (if this is really considered a problem)is that we have several D who can play those types of minutes.

Summers has looked very impressive, especially working down low in the corners. He really bodies players off very well. The first time I noticed it was the game against TB. As we started the comeback, Summers was really effective against Stamkos. He's continues that trend against players like the Sedins and others b/c he is a very good skater, with more offense than people realize (due to injuries, he had to play forward for Michigan his freshman year). I would rather keep Summers than Schlemko going forward, but I am also the guy who is in favor of trading Yandle for the right deal...
Lost in the hoopla of trade deadline day was a report from Eklund that said that Phoenix was shopping Yandle. Something to keep your eye on at the draft.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Mayo Taco Monday

vCash: 510
Send a message via MSN to Mayo Taco Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Lost in the hoopla of trade deadline day was a report from Eklund that said that Phoenix was shopping Yandle. Something to keep your eye on at the draft.
Being that it was Eklund that said it, it is a 99.999% chance that we weren't shopping Yandle.

Mayo Taco Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:02 PM
awfulwaffle

Shopping Yandle? I doubt it.

I believe that GMDM was shopping players, but we hit our run, and are in the position we are in now, and that changed drastically.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:08 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo Taco Monday View Post
Being that it was Eklund that said it, it is a 99.999% chance that we weren't shopping Yandle.
Agreed. His sources are not Phoenix based. I don't trust anything he says outside of Philli.

Old
02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
hbk

Just for giggles I went back and read up on some of my posts from the 2010 WJC regarding OEL.

What's hilarious is I was gushing on OEL and called out the Swedish coach for not throwing OEL out more often on powerplays. The player who was getting the premier powerplay time (often leading to chances against) was Rundblad. I believe I referred to Rundblad as "-1".

Old
02-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Kaizen

Summers is consistently laying the body - this will, no doubt, endear him to Tippett.

If the organizational depth forces him to start the year in Portland, he can still improve aspects of his game. With Roszival and Aucoin re-signed and DeMo under contract there just wouldn't be room.

If Rosy or Auc don't come back or DeMo moves on, Summers appears to be ready for full time duty.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Kaibur

In the presser after the trade deadline Maloney singled out Whitney, Doan and Aucoin as three players who he would have signed extensions to if the ownership in Glendale was secured, so I imagine Aucoin will be back if the team stays. At $2M, Aucoin's been a pretty fantastic vet. Unless Rozsival takes a drastic discount, I can't imagine he'll return.

Summers has looked steady and has had good progression. He could be the 7th Dman right now.

Between Rundblad, Stone and Goncharov, we've got some pretty good young RHD. Stone is making his case for staying in consideration for ice time.

The defensive depth should give Maloney the chance to be opportunistic in trades this summer. Depending on what Doan might be re-signed to, the budget could have a lot of space in it.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
In the presser after the trade deadline Maloney singled out Whitney, Doan and Aucoin as three players who he would have signed extensions to if the ownership in Glendale was secured, so I imagine Aucoin will be back if the team stays. At $2M, Aucoin's been a pretty fantastic vet. Unless Rozsival takes a drastic discount, I can't imagine he'll return.

Summers has looked steady and has had good progression. He could be the 7th Dman right now.

Between Rundblad, Stone and Goncharov, we've got some pretty good young RHD. Stone is making his case for staying in consideration for ice time.

The defensive depth should give Maloney the chance to be opportunistic in trades this summer. Depending on what Doan might be re-signed to, the budget could have a lot of space in it.
Rozsival leaving saves us $3 million (salary not cap hit)
Aucoin is going to have to take a pay cut. Probably a saving of $250,000-$500,000.
Langkow is likely gone. That saves us $4.5 million in salary.

Lots of cash to extend Doan (likely at similar or slightly less dollars) and Whitney ($4-$4.5 million).

Where does that put us relative to the cap if you fill in Roszival with Summers (assuming Gormely and Rundblad are in the AHL next year to start).

Old
02-29-2012, 08:10 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Didn't really know that. If anything, it would have been for a deal that involved a 2-for-1, like getting a 2nd/3rd line forward and a solid 3/4 D-man to take Yandle's place.

Yandle is good, but honestly, when you really look at our depth in the NHL, AHL, and juniors, as well as the money that we have available to sign a reasonably-priced D-man, we are in much better shape on D than people realize...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
Didn't really know that. If anything, it would have been for a deal that involved a 2-for-1, like getting a 2nd/3rd line forward and a solid 3/4 D-man to take Yandle's place.

Yandle is good, but honestly, when you really look at our depth in the NHL, AHL, and juniors, as well as the money that we have available to sign a reasonably-priced D-man, we are in much better shape on D than people realize...
I would think that it would be setting the table for something that could get done at the draft. Given Eklund has some decent sources in Philli and given the likelihood that Pronger's career is over I suspect there could be a match. Phoenix would be looking at one of Schenn or Coutourier then. Pure speculation on my behalf.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
I would think that it would be setting the table for something that could get done at the draft. Given Eklund has some decent sources in Philli and given the likelihood that Pronger's career is over I suspect there could be a match. Phoenix would be looking at one of Schenn or Coutourier then. Pure speculation on my behalf.
It's possible - I mean a lot of teams would be willing to add a player like Yandle. I just get this feeling that he is going to be JovoCop 2.0 before we know it, and by then, it may be a situation where no team wants to add a quality player, but one whose mistakes can lead to untimely goals.

We got lucky against Vancouver - there was one near break-away for the Canucks where Yandle was out of position, and it seems like these things are happening more often, and it is a matter of time when the other teams capitalize, or one of the "diving" stops results in missing the puck completely and/or taking a penalty.

He's still a talent, but one that needs to be harnessed more, IMO...

Old
02-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Yandle has played light years better paired with Aucoin than with DeMo earlier in the year. He looks to be the player we had last year.

The good news is that OEL is going to be even better than Yandle IMHO

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Rozsival leaving saves us $3 million (salary not cap hit)
Aucoin is going to have to take a pay cut. Probably a saving of $250,000-$500,000.
Langkow is likely gone. That saves us $4.5 million in salary.

Lots of cash to extend Doan (likely at similar or slightly less dollars) and Whitney ($4-$4.5 million).

Where does that put us relative to the cap if you fill in Roszival with Summers (assuming Gormely and Rundblad are in the AHL next year to start).
That's debatable - if you look at the minutes Aucoin eats up a case could be made for a slight raise. Performance is the basis for a veteran's contract and Aucoin chews up the TOI with the best.

He's missed a few games due to injury (which could certainly be used as rationale for a bit of a cut) but when he's in the lineup he generally only lags Yandle in minutes. Those minutes indicate the coaches trust him which should be reflected in his paycheque.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Agreed, I would guess Aucoin is looking at $2m - $2.5m on a one or two year deal.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:37 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Agreed, I would guess Aucoin is looking at $2m - $2.5m on a one or two year deal.
Only if Morris is moved somehow. If we can't find any takers for DMo, he's an expensive seventh D.

All five of Yandle, OEL, Klesla, Schlemko, and Summers are more effective. He's going to have to sub in an out of the line up with Rundblad. Stone and Gormley are going to have to compete for call ups from the minors.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:45 AM
hbk

I would not completely discount the notion that we buy Morris out of his deal. It's obviously a move of last resort.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
I would not completely discount the notion that we buy Morris out of his deal. It's obviously a move of last resort.
If the new CBA includes this amnesty clause, Morris would be the first on the list. LaBarbera would be 2nd...

Old
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Only if Morris is moved somehow. If we can't find any takers for DMo, he's an expensive seventh D.

All five of Yandle, OEL, Klesla, Schlemko, and Summers are more effective. He's going to have to sub in an out of the line up with Rundblad. Stone and Gormley are going to have to compete for call ups from the minors.
While Summers has proven he is NHL ready, he is in no way more effective than Aucoin at this stage of their respective careers.

Ice time is the ultimate arbiter of how effective a player is, in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:05 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

the GDT has me wondering this, is Emma Stone and Michael Stone related? two different Stones?

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
the GDT has me wondering this, is Emma Stone and Michael Stone related? two different Stones?
Nope, Michael is from Winnipeg, I believe. I think he has a younger brother who was drafted by Ottawa.

Blubba Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote