HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Giroux To Be Named Flyers' Captain?

Old
02-29-2012, 09:13 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It seems like the media and fanbase think "C" stands for "Clarke Replacement." That standard is incredibly high. "Timonen Replacement" is also impossible, but less so.
Which is why I say if Schenn is here for a long while (hopefully not the same situation as Richards in terms of new contract then shipped out), I'd say he should get it. A rookie and can still lead by example (hits, fights, stands up for teammates and can put up some points).

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:28 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I totally agree. I'm not trying to give reasons why the trade should or shouldn't have happened. It happened. I'm just merely saying, I'm starting to get upset at the fans who almost seem to re-invent their image of a player because he was traded. I will always love Mike Richards for his time here in Philadelphia. He deserves to be remembered for everything he did; just like Gagne is/was.
There were good times and not so good times with Mike Richards. He did have intermittent periods of play where he was not impactful and kind of loafing a bit, evidenced by his production waning over the past few years as did his physical game. Those times when he would decide to take over a game with a determined effort seemed to fade into distant memory. I know he was playing hurt, but he also had a poor attitude to go with it. He was petulant and even whiney at times. There was the icy, standoffish relationship with the media and of course, the off-ice shinnanegans. Mike was a very good young player for a few years, and I'll always have fond memories of him when he was at his best, but I think his injuries coupled with the issues surrounding him being in the captaincy here weighed on him over time and he just wasn't as good or effective a player as he was a few years ago...as injuries add up and take their toll, he may never be that player again.

I advocated removing the captaincy from Richards at the end of last season. I grew to dislike his handling of the role and was underhwelmed with his leadership and level of play. I don't think he wasn't having a good time either, with the pressure under the spotlight. I think it was natural to question his suitability for the C. There seemed to be this sentiment though, among some, that he was automatically entitled to keep the C, regardless of his struggles. I felt there were better candidates, especially after the team brought in numerous quality veterans, who had been captains on other teams (Pronger, Briere, Timonen). I didn't expect the team to trade him, but I have to say, it sure looks like it was a great move. I wish Mike Richards well, but I'm loving the players we got in return. This team could have really been something special this year if the newly annointed Captain Pronger remained healthy. It's always something with this f*$#king team.

Oh, I think the C should go to Kimmo. He's a warrior who always plays 100% and he isn't afraid to tell it like it is. Giroux will do just fine as the heir apparent.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:43 PM
NMFlyer1998
hello

Not a huge fan of this if true, i love G, and someday would like him to be captain, but he's too young right now. The C should go to Kimmo, if not then Danny B.

NMFlyer1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Which is why I say if Schenn is here for a long while (hopefully not the same situation as Richards in terms of new contract then shipped out), I'd say he should get it. A rookie and can still lead by example (hits, fights, stands up for teammates and can put up some points).
So you want him to have the C as a rookie? This is worded strangely so I'm not sure if that's what you're saying.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
So you want him to have the C as a rookie? This is worded strangely so I'm not sure if that's what you're saying.
No no no, not as a rookie. I'm saying sometime in the future though.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Tim Tebow

Doesn't matter how experienced, smart, loud, hard working, talented, etc. a player is, if for whatever reason that player isn't entirely respected by someone they won't respond as well. I think people put to much emphasis on picking someone who is going to be around for years or who logs the most ice time and all that jazz. The most powerful voice is the most respected voice to the specific people involved.

Instead of just guessing I would just have the players anonymously vote for whoever they wanted to be a captain and possibly even put down the name(s) of player(s) who they would not want as captain just in case someone who is respected publicly happens to be not as loved by the team itself. They may not even go with the highest vote getter, but it lets them see what the state of the locker room is and the coaches, GM, owner, whoever else, can all discuss and agree or disagree on if the selected player is qualified to handle it.

It may sound juvenile but I feel it would be the most accurate way to choose the most productive and team influential leader.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:03 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Briere should be rocking C or they stick with 3 A's, IMO.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:02 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Down the road G should be the captain, after the season they should ask Kimmo when he retires should be any of the following: Hartnell, Talbot, or Briere
Or Weber when he gets here

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
Down the road G should be the captain, after the season they should ask Kimmo when he retires should be any of the following: Hartnell, Talbot, or Briere
Or Weber when he gets here
I don't know if I'd want Hartnell as captain because he's seen by so many as a clown. It would almost like Kaleta or Marchand being captains of their teams.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Just going by the 24/7 it didn't really come off as G being a vocal leader. Could be because he was injured during it but it seemed more like Hartnell and Timonen were the ones barking out directions on and off the ice.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
I think Hartnell is the perfect A, but because of his perception around the league (warranted or not doesn't matter), he shouldn't get the C. If Kimmo's back next year, then I think he should get the C. If not, I agree with Tim Tebow (ack) that it should be voted upon by the players because there is not that one, obvious choice.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I thin we should definitely name someone interim Captain for the playoffs.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Tyler Durden

New Captain and Alternates

Lets say your the new coach of the Flyers if you had to choose the Captain and Assitants as of right now who do you choose?

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

C- Kimmo
A - Briere
A - Talbot

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

Kimmo-C

Giroux-A
Briere-A

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
bney7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
When did Richards ever not work hard? That was his entire thing. Him being a quiet captain was justified by people because he was a "leader by example".
When did Richards ever not work hard? notsureifsrs

He mailed in like 1/3 of the past 3 seasons.

bney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:30 PM
mirimon

Timonen should have been named captain when Smith wasn't re-signed. If he wants it, I'd give it to him. Giroux would probably benefit from waiting a few years before taking on the captaincy.

I don't see the problem with keeping Pronger as the official captain and just going with assistants though. Unless the players themselves want to name a new captain.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Timonen should have been named captain when Smith wasn't re-signed. If he wants it, I'd give it to him. Giroux would probably benefit from waiting a few years before taking on the captaincy.

I don't see the problem with keeping Pronger as the official captain and just going with assistants though. Unless the players themselves want to name a new captain.
Yeah, I agree. I do wonder at what point the organization mails it in on Pronger and goes: "Okay, this guy is broken. It stinks. It is horrible, but we have to move on." Privately, of course. Publically, they'll claim he's trying to come back, so he can sit on LITR.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
RyK15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Lets say your the new coach of the Flyers if you had to choose the Captain and Assitants as of right now who do you choose?
C- Timonen
A - Briere
A - Talbot
A - Hartnell
A - Giroux

I go with 4 As. I'd love to give one to Coburn as it seems appropriate to have a defenseman with an A, but I don't know who out of those 4 to take it from.

RyK15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:07 PM
RyK15*

And I really don't want the extra pressure on G at this point. If he'll score 90 points a year, I don't any reason to burden him with the C too, especially right now. I'd like to see him at least develop his defensive game first. If he can do that, he'll basically be Canadian Datsyuk.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
RyK15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
This team could have really been something special this year if the newly annointed Captain Pronger remained healthy. It's always something with this f*$#king team.
I hate it. Would've won in 2000 with healthy Lindros. Would've won in 2010 with better goaltending. Totally should've won in 2004 regardless. 2000 was the worst for me. Even as a 5th grader I was ridiculously excited to play and beat the Devils on our way to the Cup. Then going up 3-1, I didn't understand hockey as much then, but that year had just felt so right.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:16 PM
buff

Just heard this rumor too at TVA Sports from Michel Langevin a guy from Gatineau Quebec with some contacts with G familiy and Friend from Hearst Ontario. The Flyers ofered the "C" to Giroux and he can accept that right now or wait until next year.

But if it's true that mean Pronger career is over... ??!!!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:06 AM
KareyPrice

Who do you think will be the next captain

Hey sorry for dropping by but im having an argument with one of my buddies on who we think the captain of the flyers will be pending Pronger doesnt return next year.

I went out on a limb saying giroux and hes going with briere.

I thought I'd ask here seeing as I dont watch much flyers games and made you guys would have more insight but thanks anyways

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Amateur Hour

Only a matter of time, people.

Quote:
“He is our leader,” Talbot said. “He plays with energy, and he competes. When you see a guy like that, who is a little banged up right now, and he goes and plays his heart out, you want to go on the ice and do the same thing. It was definitely a great effort by him.”
Let's see if this works... linked article

Last edited by Amateur Hour: 03-07-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Only a matter of time, people.

Link: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...-are-fine.html

Link doesn't work for me

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote