HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Lukas Sutter intrigues me because Brandon looks like a good one, and he has better numbers in his draft year. Is his hockey IQ in the same league? Looks to be much more of a scrapper despite being smaller than Brandon.

Old
02-29-2012, 08:47 PM
NotProkofievian

Word is Galchenyuk's been skating with the team, and is meeting with a doctor to be cleared for contact(or not) tomorrow.

So, perhaps we'll get some more concrete information pretty quickly.

This draft is a little nerve-racking for habs fans because we all want the #1 center, but then this Grigorenko-gate thing comes out, and Galy's not played a game all year.

If Galchenyuk comes back and tears the O a new *******, Timmins job became a lot easier.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Word is Galchenyuk's been skating with the team, and is meeting with a doctor to be cleared for contact(or not) tomorrow.

This draft is a little nerve-racking for habs fans because we all want the #1 center, but then this Grigorenko-gate thing comes out, and Galy's not played a game all year.

If Galchenyuk comes back and tears the O a new *******, Timmins job became a lot easier.
speaking of which, how DOES Timmins feel about all this? He must be like a kid in a candy store every time the habs keep losing games

Think about it, hes mostly always had to pick his first rounders mid round, which meant anything in the top 5 was a pipe dream, and almost not even worth scouting at all

But now THIS year?? Hes literally able to personally scout each and every single one of the "big 4" if you will, he must be absolutely enjoying every minute of this "tank" , how could there be any other explanation of his presence in sweden other than to be scouting forsberg long and hard and most importantly, PERSONALY

Should galchenyuk start playing at all this season should get him REALLY excited too

Old
02-29-2012, 09:06 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post

If that's the case we need to pass the oilers then, because desperately we need to give timmins his best chance at getting the next top player

Old
02-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
speaking of which, how DOES Timmins feel about all this? He must be like a kid in a candy store every time the habs keep losing games

Think about it, hes mostly always had to pick his first rounders mid round, which meant anything in the top 5 was a pipe dream, and almost not even worth scouting at all

But now THIS year?? Hes literally able to personally scout each and every single one of the "big 4" if you will, he must be absolutely enjoying every minute of this "tank" , how could there be any other explanation of his presence in sweden other than to be scouting forsberg long and hard and most importantly, PERSONALY

Should galchenyuk start playing at all this season should get him REALLY excited too
He's probably under the most pressure he's ever been (even 2005). If we don't get an absolute stud out of this pick, and a stud forward too, with any other player coming out of the top 8 being flat out better, he's going to have to hear about it for years and years.

How long did people have to hear about how much better Savard was compared to Wickenheiser?

I can't imagine what it's going to look like if Grigorenko was carrying a team out of the cellar in a few years while ours is a decent complementary player, if we decide to pass Big G.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:19 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
If that's the case we need to pass the oilers then, because desperately we need to give timmins his best chance at getting the next top player
Oil can catch us tonight.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Plenty of players come back from injury and become stud NHLers. Timmins always looks at the players top end potential. Dumba, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk and Forsberg all have enormous potential. The fact Galchenyuk got hurt probably wont prevent Timmins from selecting him. I must say though that from what I have seen from Grigorenko, this kid has tremendous natural offensive skills. Great puck control and moves; great shot with excellent accuracy, size and a very fluid skating stride. His passing is also very good. He see's the ice very well. Now again, it appears he is a bit mercurial in that he doesnt always show up to every game. However, he did have a very bad ankle injury and the Remants' record without him is very bad. His style is comparable to Joe Thornton.

On the other hand, Galchenyuk skates with aggressively and with a purpose. His style is similar to Malkins and Ovechkins. He like Grigo has a great shot and he is supposedly good defensively. I dont know much else, but from his highlights he goes to the traffic areas and carries the play. Grigorenko is more of an outside shooter.

Should be interesting. I dont know too much about Forsberg, but supposedly Timmins is scouting him tonight or has scouted him tonight.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

st-louis is gonna make minced meat out of the small and skilled oilers team.

my hunch

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 03-01-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old
02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
st-louis is gonna make minced meat out of the small and skilled oilers team.

my hunch
It's probably a good hunch. But LETS GO OIL!

Old
02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
You can get a scrapper who can skate and has no hands in the 4th round, no reason to waste a late first or early second on a Tom Wilson if you don't think his offence will translate.

Also gotta think cap wise here.

I can sign a Prust or Moen for 1.5-2 million as a UFA and that is what wilson is (if we say he won't develop offence). However talented guys are more expensive. I'd rather try to draft a patches or a Subban so I'm getting massive savings when they are in my lineup as 22-23 year olds than taking a third liner who won't be saving you so much.

If Scouts believe Wilson tops out as a guy with no hands, I wouldn't use a high pick on him.
gotta agree with this.

This team is in desperate need of top end talent. Not sure I would be looking at adding limited offensive players with 2nd rounders.

A long way to go to establish the final rankings and availability but guys like Kerdiles, Bussieres, Bozon, Samuelsson, Nieves are all really intriguing possibilities in the 2nd round

Old
02-29-2012, 10:39 PM
JHabs61

I'm really hoping Timmins likes Galchenyuk despite not playing much/at all this season. I've said I wanted for a while... I also read a blog from Adam French saying the Habs would/should pick Galchenyuk at 2nd overall. I wouldn't be opposed to that. For a few reasons.
1. Hes a Center
2. He won't run to Russia(hes American)
3. from most reports I've seen or heard of he seems more complete than Grig.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Adam-...tive/155/42700

Old
02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
All the reports on Grigorenko and Forsberg have me thinking of an NHL comparison.

Who would you rather have, Joe Thornton (Grigorenko) in his prime or Daniel Alfredsson (Forsberg) in his prime?

Now, of course some Habs fans will be clamoring for a big point producing centre. But in my mind, the 20 point difference is not worth the effort, leadership and two-way ability. That's my take.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price2Pleks View Post
I'm really hoping Timmins likes Galchenyuk despite not playing much/at all this season. I've said I wanted for a while... I also read a blog from Adam French saying the Habs would/should pick Galchenyuk at 2nd overall. I wouldn't be opposed to that. For a few reasons.
1. Hes a Center
2. He won't run to Russia(hes American)
3. from most reports I've seen or heard of he seems more complete than Grig.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Adam-...tive/155/42700
The Grigo/Galchenyuk battle remings me a lot of the Strome vs Huberdeau threads last year. To me, one is just fundamentally more sound (being Grigo and Huberdeau respectively) no matter what the stats/media hype attempt to show, especially when trying to project them at the NHL level.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:53 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Sting Coach/GM Beaulieu says Galchenyuk is skating with the team. He has a doctors appointment Thursday at 3 to see if he'll be cleared for contact and hopes to get in 3-4 games.

Habs scouting better have someone ready with his sleeping bag!

Old
02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
All the reports on Grigorenko and Forsberg have me thinking of an NHL comparison.

Who would you rather have, Joe Thornton (Grigorenko) in his prime or Daniel Alfredsson (Forsberg) in his prime?

Now, of course some Habs fans will be clamoring for a big point producing centre. But in my mind, the 20 point difference is not worth the effort, leadership and two-way ability. That's my take.
You draft the guy who is more problematic to find either through a 2nd round and up, either through UFA or a trade. So you might say that you "could" find an Alfredsson gem later than the 1st round, while you might not be able to find a Thornton that far.

Which is the reason why MY pick is.....Alex Galchenyuk.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:10 PM
InglewoodJack

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but what's the main consensus for the best pick for the Habs considering they get a top-5 pick (most likely a top 3).

Old
02-29-2012, 11:11 PM
JHabs61

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but what's the main consensus for the best pick for the Habs considering they get a top-5 pick (most likely a top 3).
I've seen Galchenyuk mention quite a bit.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Two day's ago it was Grigorenko, yesterday it was Forsberg and now its Galchenyuk XD

Most likely what you want to know is : are we going to be happy with any of those three players? ABSOLUTELY

Old
02-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Tonka
8.5%?

I guess its Battle of the Losers on Saturday? Whoever loses on Saturday...actually wins.

Just dropping by in peace.

Anyways, enjoying reading your guys review on prospects.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Ok if we go two, like most people said I'd be ok with any of the big 3 forwards being the 2 Russians and the Swede.

Forsberg, I think will be our choice unless of a total collapse from his part, seems like a big body that uses his frame with skill. The Alfredsson comparisons are nice and all but some people are right questioning his offensive output, then again Zibanejad also didn't put big numbers last year but you can tell he'll be a gamer from training camp and the WJC. I think Forsberg is the safest player to at least be a solid 50 point 2 way player, at worst but his upside might be the lowest can't see him scoring 40+ like most people here unless we have a world class center dishing him sick passes.

As far as Grigorenko goes I'd say chances are quite slim of him ending up with a Habs jersey. People are coming up with the Thornton comparison but I guess scouts see in him the spring and summer time Joe Thornton the guy that disappears when it matters the most. From what I've seen some people also compare his skating to Malkin but I disagree there's no explosiveness at all in his stride, it's very calm though which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think Grigorenko will be a 70-80 point player, honestly he reminds me of a bigger Mike Ribeiro when I see him at center.

Galchenyuk to me is an attractive asset, a very attractive asset, I watch him play and he does play like Marian Hossa, he's got the size, the explosiveness, the vision and the shot, along with being solid defensively, he looks like one sexy pick but scouts will definitely have major concerns if he doesn't play at all this year. I'm hoping he comes back for the playoffs and dominates. It would be too bad to pass on him and have him drop because of his injury only to have him become an 80-90 point player. Just hope he gets 20 games this year. If he comes back and shows he's ready to go I would love him as our pick.

If by any chance all forwards are gone by the time we pick (doubtful) I'd bet big money they select Trouba.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Guilliam

huh where's the "Timmins' top 25 prospects list" thread?

Old
03-01-2012, 12:06 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
huh where's the "Timmins' top 25 prospects list" thread?
Yea, wtf there were some very informative posts in there.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Beakermania*

Galchenyuk if healthy is the prototype of the forward Trevor Timmins will fall in love with. The attributes he's better than Grigorenko at (skating, two-way play, tireless worker, laser wrister) are Timmins top 4 attributes in a forward.

Grigorenko has better size, better vision and playmaking, protects the puck better, thinks the game a little more, has more high end offensive potential, and is close to Gally in the other areas, but Gally is better where i listed.

Gally just seems like the Timmins prototype at forward.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Rough sketch of what is going on here.

1. Everyone wanted Grigorenko's children.
2. An article came out.
3. No one wants to touch Grigorenko with a ten foot pole.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Galchenyuk if healthy is the prototype of the forward Trevor Timmins will fall in love with. The attributes he's better than Grigorenko at (skating, two-way play, tireless worker, laser wrister) are Timmins top 4 attributes in a forward.

Grigorenko has better size, better vision and playmaking, protects the puck better, thinks the game a little more, has more high end offensive potential, and is close to Gally in the other areas, but Gally is better where i listed.

Gally just seems like the Timmins prototype at forward.
Yeah but even with all that said, i still think its yakupov 1 , grigorenko 2 , and potentially galchenyuk at 3 , where i think we finish by the way, and forsberg slotted at 4

Its scary to think about where we actually end up in the lottery should we make it

Closed Thread