HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torres

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2003, 10:10 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Torres

KLo said that Raffi would quickly become a fan favorite here.

Was 15 games enough for ya?

I'm in.

I have to say that the thing that has impressed me the most about Raffi at this point is his maturity. I knew he had skill, but I really expected him to sprout horns and try and prove his manhood out there. I also thought he'd be a healthy scratch 50% of the time.

Instead he's just chipped in, played physically, and kept a level head. He's like a Darcy Tucker with brains.

He's on pace for 40 right now, but I'd bet the farm against it as much out of fairness to Raffi as for any other reason, I will be ecstatic if he hits 20 goals.

What's your assessment of the kid so far?

Old
11-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
He's like a Darcy Tucker with brains.

What's your assessment of the kid so far?

Can't really be said much better than that.

Old
11-13-2003, 09:42 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

When KLO said he'll quickly become a fan favourite, I thought it was because of the hitting, not the scoring flare he's shown. He is a great addition to this hockey team, through 15 games he has played on every line and mayed the guys he's played with better.

Old
11-13-2003, 10:03 AM
o98

Send a message via MSN to o98
I remember, right after the trade, a bunch of my friends were frustrated that the Oilers traded another star for "nothing special". I had seen Torres play at the WJHC, and a little in juniors, so I already had an idea of what his game was all about. I told them that this guy(Torres) would be a fan favourite by November. Thinking back at the deal, maybe I was trying to reassure myself as well, but I'm glad hes turned out so well(at least at this point of the season). Has been one of my favs since that goal against Sweden, and will be for years to come.

Old
11-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan98
I remember, right after the trade, a bunch of my friends were frustrated that the Oilers traded another star for "nothing special". I had seen Torres play at the WJHC, and a little in juniors, so I already had an idea of what his game was all about. I told them that this guy(Torres) would be a fan favourite by November. Thinking back at the deal, maybe I was trying to reassure myself as well, but I'm glad hes turned out so well(at least at this point of the season). Has been one of my favs since that goal against Sweden, and will be for years to come.
I hated to see Janne go, but Torres was a guy I had been wishing was on Oiler since his draft year. I love his style of play and he really has a good outlook of the game. I've worked on Pucks top 50 prospects each of the last 2 years, and I've had Raffi top 10 both years, top 5 before he was an Oiler but then after he was an Oiler I didn't want to sound like a homer so slipped a few spots

Old
11-13-2003, 01:52 PM
barto

what's not to like about the guy?

Yet there's a nagging little thing that's been mentioned in other threads, that Torres was billed as an agitator/pest, feisty, physical, and with some offensive potential.

We've certainly seen the offensive potential, far more than his biggest boosters could have predicted (esp. with the ice time he was given earlier)...but I haven't seen all that much of the rest. He was going to be the guy to stir the pot and get Laraque into the game more, but I haven't seen much of 'the pest' in his game.

Now I'm not throwing back those 7 goals, and if he keeps up this pace we can say SCREW the agitator stuff - we'll get someone else for that, but if he's not scoring goals, he'll have to step up his physical play for my part.

After losing big hitters like Grier and a younger Brewer (!!), I was hoping that Torres would be crunching someone really good at least once a game. Instead his game has been solid, steady, MATURE (as someone said above), but no bone-jarring hits that I can recall.

Again, I don't want him to give up his offense, but if he's going through a scoring slump at some point (!?) then I'd like to see him step up his physical play.

Bart

Old
11-13-2003, 02:15 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
what's not to like about the guy?

Yet there's a nagging little thing that's been mentioned in other threads, that Torres was billed as an agitator/pest, feisty, physical, and with some offensive potential.

We've certainly seen the offensive potential, far more than his biggest boosters could have predicted (esp. with the ice time he was given earlier)...but I haven't seen all that much of the rest. He was going to be the guy to stir the pot and get Laraque into the game more, but I haven't seen much of 'the pest' in his game.

Now I'm not throwing back those 7 goals, and if he keeps up this pace we can say SCREW the agitator stuff - we'll get someone else for that, but if he's not scoring goals, he'll have to step up his physical play for my part.

After losing big hitters like Grier and a younger Brewer (!!), I was hoping that Torres would be crunching someone really good at least once a game. Instead his game has been solid, steady, MATURE (as someone said above), but no bone-jarring hits that I can recall.

Again, I don't want him to give up his offense, but if he's going through a scoring slump at some point (!?) then I'd like to see him step up his physical play.

Bart
Torres is a very efficient checker...

He doesn't throw the glass rattlers 5 or 6 times a game, but he <b>never</b> puts himself out of position when he hits someone.

Most of those big hits are after the player doesn't have the puck... sure it looks and sounds great, but in the end, all it does is take you out of the play.

When he was on the 4th line, he was playing very physical. When he got moved up, he had to change his game, and spend less time chasing the puck, and more time finding open spots.

Old
11-13-2003, 03:58 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Dawgbone and Barto, IMO, you both touched on something that is a big party of his game. He is scoring now and i think that if and when the time comes that he can't find the net he will revert back to the simple checking/agitating stylle that we all thought he would bring 100% of the time.

I have only seen the Oilers twice this year unfortunately but from what i have seen he definitely picks his spots and has the timing to throw the open ice hit and also to get in on the forecheck creating numerous opportunities not only for himself but for his linemates as well.

Old
11-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Lowetide

I remember reading many reports his draft year that detailed all of his skills, and then ended with "the big question is will he develop into a scorer. If he does, look out."

Look out.

Old
11-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Meanashell11

all i can say is he is everything we expeceted of jani rita, thus we can now trade rita. he is not any use otherwise.

Old
11-13-2003, 05:42 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
all i can say is he is everything we expeceted of jani rita, thus we can now trade rita. he is not any use otherwise.
He certainly is.

When Rita is into it, he is an incredible defensive player, he is strong along the boards, he is fast, and he has a fantastic shot. It really is simply a matter of him being into all the time, as opposed to 3 games out of 5.

Closed Thread