HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"..buzz in the United Center press box indicated the Leafs coach could be fired

Old
02-29-2012, 10:55 PM
thewave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
McPhee is the real idiot there. Who hires Cassidy, Hanlon, Boudreau and Hunter, all coaches with ZERO prior NHL coaching experience in a row?
I actually think that team has a locker room problem above coaching problem. Lots of times when multiple stars share a team it becomes a mess.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
How is that coaching change in Washington working out.
20-17-4 is how it's working out. Much better than our 17-20-5 record over the same time period.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
20-17-4 is how it's working out. Much better than our 17-20-5 record over the same time period.
About 5 of those loses came right off the bat to while they were changing over to a new system.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:56 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
I actually think that team has a locker room problem above coaching problem. Lots of times when multiple stars share a team it becomes a mess.
Again, that's on the GM.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Not a chance. Gordon is already the assistant coach- what difference would it make "bringing in" somebody who is already there to end the season? Not going to happen.

I'd love to see Eakins get a shot next season though. He seems like a great guy and a great coach. He'd definitely give the young guys a shot, and would not throw the boys under the bus (or in Reimer's case, park the bus on top of him).

Keep falling, draft Galchenyuk or Grigorenko (trade up if need be/ if possible) and let Eakins develop the kid in the NHL.
And when this team is fighting for the 8th seed again next season, y'all will want to tank again. Round and round we go.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
<<<<<<<<<<

Dallas is waiting patiently. Arms crossed.
Why mess up a good thing with the marlies on a playoff run...

Let Gordon take over on a interm basis and evaluate the decision at the end of the year. If Dallas is the guy after all that, Great.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
About 5 of those loses came right off the bat to while they were changing over to a new system.
That's true. Good for McPhee for having the balls to make a change early on when it matters. We clearly waited way to long to do anything (firings or trades) to help this team get to the playoffs.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:01 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
McPhee is the real idiot there. Who hires Cassidy, Hanlon, Boudreau and Hunter, all coaches with ZERO prior NHL coaching experience in a row?
Not necesarilly. A finger can be pointed at Leonsis for allowing himself to get to imeresed into the team, specifically players, and McPhee giving player (s) too much rope. Beaudreau looks to be a good one, and Hunter has a great program in London.

New Liskeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:02 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
That's true. Good for McPhee for having the balls to make a change early on when it matters. We clearly waited way to long to do anything (firings or trades) to help this team get to the playoffs.
McPhee should have canned Boudreau after that Habs series. If not then, for sure after that TB sweep last season. He waited too long to fire Boudreau who had them playing a trap so he could hang on to his coaching job.

Old
Bishop1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Why mess up a good thing with the marlies on a playoff run...

Let Gordon take over on a interm basis and evaluate the decision at the end of the year. If Dallas is the guy after all that, Great.
why go internal? to the point that its the existing coach.. Dallas I understand, yes he should get a shot.. but Gordon?? He's just as much to blame as wilson is for this. The WHOLE coaching stuff works on things like defence.

if we want to tank the rest of the season.. then yes... hire Gordon.. if we want to see if we can make one last ditch effort at the playoffs you go external..

Bishop1310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Read this on TSN:

Quote:
The Air Canada Centre crowd offered up its own solution Tuesday night with loud chants of "Fire Wilson!" and #firewilson was trending worldwide on Twitter after the game.
If you guys need any pointers on protests, chants, Tee's, signs, FB etc. let us know, we are experts in C-bus... I see y'all have Twitter down.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bberard34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
please god no, the tank is going so well
THIS!!!! 100x THIS!!!!!!!

bberard34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
While missing Backstrom who was their best player before getting injured and Green (although he did come back recently).

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

I see no point in making a change.

I know we COULD go on a run, and still squeak in. But you have to be realistic. We have a tough schedule coming up, and probably need 24-26 more points to make the playoffs. And thats assuming nobody else makes a run, which its likely that a couple teams will.

I would rather lose every game until the regular season. We desperately need another blue chip prospect to add to this group. I would rather add that to this young core than barely get in the playoffs and get smashed.

Fire Wilson right after the season is done. You let Eakins do what he can with the Marlies in the playoffs, and start fresh next year.

The CyNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
pspot

im sure burke doesn't want to fire wilson but someone has to pay for still not making the playoffs ..... not the fans

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
I see no point in making a change.

I know we COULD go on a run, and still squeak in. But you have to be realistic. We have a tough schedule coming up, and probably need 24-26 more points to make the playoffs. And thats assuming nobody else makes a run, which its likely that a couple teams will.

I would rather lose every game until the regular season. We desperately need another blue chip prospect to add to this group. I would rather add that to this young core than barely get in the playoffs and get smashed.

Fire Wilson right after the season is done. You let Eakins do what he can with the Marlies in the playoffs, and start fresh next year.
This.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
im sure burke doesn't want to fire wilson but someone has to pay for still not making the playoffs ..... not the fans
As an outsider, Burke built a good defense, he was one goalie short.. I personally would think playoffs right now, you are very close.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
As an outsider, Burke built a good defense, he was one goalie short.. I personally would think playoffs right now, you are very close.
I still think in the end this losing spell could be the best thing to happen to this team.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:13 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
We have a very mediocre defense.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Not according to this:

12. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Defence (ES Shot Differential/60 mins.): Dion Phaneuf (+1.5), Carl Gunnarsson (-2.3), John-Michael Liles (+0.8), Jake Gardiner (-3.0), Cody Franson (+1.4), Luke Schenn (-6.9), Mike Komisarek (-7.2), Keith Aulie (-3.0).
Shots Against Per Game: 30.7
Goals: 23
Assists: 102
+/-: +20
Comment: Trades have practically made this group, as Dion Phaneuf, John-Michael Liles, Jake Gardiner, Cody Franson and Keith Aulie all came via trades. Luke Schenn hasn't progressed as much as expected, so it's fortunate for the Leafs that Carl Gunnarsson has quietly been an effective in his 22 minutes per game.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387491

Old
02-29-2012, 11:15 PM
thewave

Quote:
Burke did build a good defense. Wilson didn't know how to play them in a style that highlighted their natural talents. You can not make your freight trains run like Ferrari.

There are many people in Toronto that played and also played competitively even if just at a young age. These people are not easily fooled by Burke and Wilsons excuses.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:16 PM

I'll be pissed if Burke fires Wilson right now.

The season is over. Let it keep sliding and get a good pick. Let Eakins run with the Marlies. Then bring his ass up here to replace Ron.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop1310 View Post
why go internal? to the point that its the existing coach.. Dallas I understand, yes he should get a shot.. but Gordon?? He's just as much to blame as wilson is for this. The WHOLE coaching stuff works on things like defence.

if we want to tank the rest of the season.. then yes... hire Gordon.. if we want to see if we can make one last ditch effort at the playoffs you go external..
i didn't say Gordon on a permanent solution by any means... BUT i think there should be some serious due diligence done before hiring a new coach... I wouldn't want to fire Wilson and give the keys to Dallas because our kids will get affected by that THIS year, in the middle of there best season in years...

At the end of the season is when we should hire the coach that is right for our franchise. If it's Eakins great! but not taking the time to make sure he is the guy is a mistake IMO.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mcleex

Quote:
I honestly think it's the whole "run n gun" style the Leafs play, why are these defenceman decent on other teams but when they come here they are garbage?

Gardiner flourishes on this team cuz of the style we play and he's a good skater, however pylons like Phaneuf, Komisarek Aulie, Schenn, and Franson are absolutely killed

Burke is either an idiot for bringing in the wrong type of players for this system
or
Wilson is an idiot for not changing the system to suit the style of these defenceman

pick your poison

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
And when this team is fighting for the 8th seed again next season, y'all will want to tank again. Round and round we go.
I, like most others, would rather keep falling then finish up in 9th.

I will be extremely happy if we make it into the playoffs but it's not looking likely at all.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote