HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn to Nashville for 2013 2nd return the conditional pick in Gill Trade

Old
02-29-2012, 08:03 PM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Legwand + AK would be ok together, but Hornqvist shouldn't be on there. I'd like to see Wilson there and limit Horny's even strength time.

As for styles, I would say that we play an aggressive forecheck, north-south, grind it out in the corners type of game and rely on neutral zone transition, whereas Montreal is more of a puck control, east-west system. I'm really not that familiar with them though.
If that's the case, I'd say AK will fit in nicely. He seems very physical. Watching a few clips posted by Habs fans, his play along the boards reminded me of Fisher. Lots of hits.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
If that's the case, I'd say AK will fit in nicely. He seems very physical. Watching a few clips posted by Habs fans, his play along the boards reminded me of Fisher. Lots of hits.
Yeah I think he is better suited for our system too, but there is understandably going to be an adjustment period. It's been a long time since he played in a different system

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Thought AK looked more dangerous as the game wore on and he got used to the pace we play at. Missed the first period due to work, but felt that he was "thinking" the game too much from what I saw in the second and then took a BRUTALLY undisciplined penalty in on the forecheck. Thought he did a much better job "reading" the game in the third period, but it was clear that he wasn't really all that comfortable yet with the systems or his linemates yet.

Essentially, I thought based on the circumstances that it was a good game from AK46. He showed off his speed, great wrist shot, and playmaking skills without being in sync with any of his teammates. As he acclimates to the team and finds a more permanent set of linemates, I think he'll be a great addition.

IMO, AK46 showed more top end natural offensive skill last night than I've seen from SK74 and that's not a knock on Sergei. Remember, AK46 was the 10th overall pick in the 2003 draft...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Qui Gon Dave

I'm impressed by Trotz. Watching Montreal this year, apparently he has been able to observe some form of system in our play. Could have fooled me. Guess that's why he's an NHL head coach.

Or maybe he was just being polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Legwand + AK would be ok together, but Hornqvist shouldn't be on there. I'd like to see Wilson there and limit Horny's even strength time.

As for styles, I would say that we play an aggressive forecheck, north-south, grind it out in the corners type of game and rely on neutral zone transition, whereas Montreal is more of a puck control, east-west system. I'm really not that familiar with them though.
A few years ago, Gainey cited a puck possession approach as the style the team was trying to employ or work towards, but that isn't the case now. There was a system with Jacques Martin, built around being passive without the puck and blocking the blueline as much as possible. Once we had the puck back, quick, short passes and speed were supposed to get us up ice and 5 guys were supposed to be in the picture at any one time, all close to each other providing support. Sadly, on many occassions those 5 men weren't all Habs.

Under Cunneyworth, well, who knows. Either the players didn't execute it very well or they didn't understand it or it was so simple they fell asleep in the middle of 'making plays'. From what I can tell, the current system is built around a 1 man forecheck, except for the rare occasions we use a two man forecheck or everyone leaves the zone and we play a passive style.

Then they all rush back into the defensive zone at which point if nobody knocks the puck carrier on their arse quickly and takes the puck off them, we wait for a mistake to pounce on a loose puck, so we can send the puck to an opponent just inside the blueline. Then we either wait for another mistake and repeat the process, see if they manage to score a goal, get lucky and have time run out or pray for Jean Claude Van Damme to send a helicopter flying backwards in a remarkably straight line through the roof of the arena, into the ice below.

If the 'system' works, at some point, one of two options will present itself. If the two and a half men line is out there (Patches, DD, Cole), they take the puck and rush up ice with it to create a scoring chance. If anyone else is on the ice, we chip the puck up into the neutral zone kinda like an onside kick and see if we get a favourable bounce. If we get a loose puck in the neutral zone, we chip it into the offensive zone and hope we get a lucky bounce. If we chip the puck out of the defensive zone and win it back and then chip it into the offensive zone and win it back, we send a trainer into town to buy lottery tickets while the forwards protect the puck down low. If they can, they get it back to the point so a defender can shoot it wide and start a rush the other way. If the point isn't open, the forwards protect the puck until they can work an opening where the puck carrier is facing into the zone rather than at the boards and has some room to make a pass. That forward will then make a fairly simple pass to someone nearby in space. This pass will not reach a teammate. This starts a rush the other way and everyone has to rush back to the defensive zone and hope someone knocks the puck carrier on their arse quickly.

Basically, unless the 2.5 men line is on the ice, the system is skate hard, chip the puck, chase the puck, north-south, very little else. The only other 'moves' that are permitted are:
1. When Tomas Plekanec is on the ice, if he carries the puck over the offensive blue line, by law, he must attempt to pull the one move he knows: put the puck near his feet, push it slightly wide on his forehand side, pull it back on his backhand almost behind his body before pushing it out even further wide on his forehand to open up a shooting lane. He must then fire a 40 foot wrist/snap shot towards the net to help the other teams goalie pad their stats.

2. If we carry a lead into the 3rd period, we must give up the lead during the 3rd period, overtime or shootout. It is important we do this because otherwise it is very difficult to tank.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Fuelled by Passion

IMO Andrei is really good player, Nashville got him for really low price and knowing Trotz abilities to use players strength I believe he will make only good.
First thing I would like to say is don't listen to this who say that his hockey IQ is very low. Despite some people who refuse to understand that hockey is more than chip and chase game, I personally confident that his IQ is huge. As for Montreal, one of the reasons he couldn't produce is that his hockey IQ was way bigger than most of his team-mates. Fact is he is very successful with creative players (Kovalev,Lang,his bro,Eller). When he had to play north-south chip and chase game, he looked lost. As simple as this.
Second is that Andrei is not a first-wave offensive player. He loves counter-attacks, he loves to find open ice between D and forwards for his wrister. It's not his fault most of his line-mates couldn't even make a simple drop-pass. So I would describe him as a second wave offense player.
Third. He needs a passer on his line. He is creative and has very good pass, but I truly believe he is better used as finisher. He loves soft drop-pass as well as he loves passes when he has to make 1-2 steps forward to unleash his shot. He absolutely hates when you pass to his skates and you won't see him passing often to someone's skates or behind player. He loves to pass a puck to open ice so the player will have to move his feet to get to it. This passes are perfect for 1 timers and usually will put you in a better position to take a shot.
Forth. Trotz will have to explain what kind of D Nashville playing as a team. He will have to make it load and clear. Cuz with Canadiens he got blamed for so many goals that weren't his fault it is not even funny. He stay's on point he got blamed he didn't chase the guy all the way, he will chase the guy all the way he blamed for not staying on the point.
Fifth. You guys will have to explain to him that it's ok to play east-west to create open ice, or to make a screen-shot. It was absolutely forbidden in Montreal. The system is simple. Get the puck out of the zone, fast transaction and chip and chase. Most creative play they amke is passes from behind the net. I truly believe Habs after trading AK became the least talented team in a league and do play the most primitive game out of all 30 teams
As for his weak points.
As many said he is inconsistent and will need some help from team to get over his cold streak (which he never got in Montreal)
He must be guided inside his zone. The instruction from coach must be clear. Eventho his defensive play got improved much he is still lucking confidence.
He can be pain in the @ss trying to handle first pass.
Sometimes he prepares for slap shot for too long.

He has won skill completions for most accurate shot for 3 times out of 6 seasons and the other 3 times came second. He finished 1 time first, 2 times seconds for the hardest shot in Montreal (well obviously with Weber he has no chance ).
So just love him, support him and enjoy him

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:16 AM
braindead

Qui Gon Dave: if you are a woman, will you marry me? If you are a man, will you speak at my funeral? If both, I'd rather not know. Post of the year nominee for best analysis of a system!!!!!! Bravo.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Qui Gon Dave: if you are a woman, will you marry me?

If I was a woman called David, you'd have probably seen me on some cr*ppy tv show called 'Parents Call Their Kids The Funniest Things'.

Quote:
If you are a man, will you speak at my funeral?
Depends who dies first. As a fan of goal scorers while supporting the Habs and Everton FC, I think this season gives me a headstart.

If you've ever wanted to stand up at a strangers funeral and announce that you have no idea what you are doing there, I might have an opportunity for you mid June-ish.

Quote:
If both, I'd rather not know.
My nephew calls me a bearded woman, does that count?

Quote:
Post of the year nominee for best analysis of a system!!!!!! Bravo.
Thanks, but if you recognise my achievement, you should probably hand out awards to everyone who has seen each Habs game this year and not killed. And the poor players. They don't just watch the nightmare (well, in the defensive zone sometimes they just watch) - they LIVE IT

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote