HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev

Old
03-01-2012, 12:30 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 500
Zherdev

DON'T KILL MEH!

I showed my girlfriend this video, she doesn't know much about hockey but really enjoys it since I introduced it to her. Her reaction upon seeing this was "What happened to this guy?!"

And you know what? That's a good question. Nik isn't even in the NHL anymore, he was waived by the Flyers last season. He has so much talent, but was he really that much of a head case that no team could take him? Bringing him back would be the cheapest 20+ goals you could get for next season. Obviously he doesn't mesh with Torts on paper, but who's to say it isn't worth a shot? I know he had that wife indecent too... I'm not oblivious. On a team full of grinders, it was sure nice to have someone with this much skill though.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 03-01-2012 at 12:40 AM.
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

DON'T KILL MEH!

I showed my girlfriend this video, she doesn't know much about hockey but really enjoys it since I introduced it to her. Her reaction upon seeing this was "What happened to this guy?!"

And you know what? That's a good question. Nik isn't even in the NHL anymore, he was waived by the Flyers last season. He has so much talent, but was he really that much of a head case that no team could take him? Bringing him back would be the cheapest 20+ goals you could get for next season. Obviously he doesn't mesh with Torts on paper, but who's to say it isn't worth a shot? I know he had that wife indecent too... I'm not oblivious. On a team full of grinders, it was sure nice to have someone with this much skill though.

1 word. effort.

guy had all world talent, but didnt work hard enough shift in and shift out. very much like Wolski.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Zuuuuc

I remember thinking one of these days Zherdev will bury the goal of the year. He made it look effortless, dangling through everyone on the ice, sometimes twice but after all that he'd miss the net or hit the goalie in the chest. The year after he left, imagine him as secondary scoring behind Gabby. We could have finished 6th or so but we ended up in 9th. I also know full well he would have been a better 3rd shooter than Olli in that infamous shootout

Zuuuuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:51 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Zherdev is one of the most interesting and poignant examples of effort trumping talent this generation.

If the guy tried he could be a top player in the league. Giroux-esque. Too bad he just didn't feel like doing it.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
"Cheapest 20 goals"

No. While I agree, he's still capable of scoring 20+ in a season (despite being a massive head-case), he'd also hurt the team defensively and, ultimately, he won't be cheap.

He makes a lot of money in Russia, and more power to him for it.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:02 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
"Cheapest 20 goals"

No. While I agree, he's still capable of scoring 20+ in a season (despite being a massive head-case), he'd also hurt the team defensively and, ultimately, he won't be cheap.

He makes a lot of money in Russia, and more power to him for it.
If he ever comes back to the NHL he's going to have to earn his way to making some money. I doubt he leaves the comfort and $$$ of the KHL though. If he had Callahan's heart he'd be a top 10 player in the league no doubt.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:06 AM
OverTheCap

I liked Zherdev as a Ranger, and he was fine for the transitional Rangers teams of 2008 to 2011 that bridged us from the Jagr years to this season's team. But he would not be a good fit on this current team. Not good enough defensively, too inconsistent offensively, checks out in the playoffs, etc.

Zherdev admitted he wasn't a good fit for Philly because of their rough and tumble style and said he was better suited for a skill team such as Washington or Detroit. So even in the off chance that the Rangers were interested him in again, I don't think Zherdev would want to play for a grind-it-out team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:23 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Overall he's better/more consistent than Wolski. I'm surprised he couldn't stick in the NHL but it's obviously about his desire to be here vs. the ability to make more loot over there.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Kovalev 2.0 in a way. Massive skillset, no heart.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:16 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Kovalev was a huge reason (go re-watch game 6 vs. the Devils in '94) we won the Cup. Take it back.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:30 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Half the player Kovalev was.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:42 AM
pld459666

I've always liked Zherdev.

He could be a very very useful player for the Rangers on the LW.

His right handed shot playing LW to Richards and Callahan?

I like the way that Torts treats everyone the same, I like that he holds players accountable, I like moreso that the team keeps themselves in check and I think that had we been able to sign him to a deal before he reached arbitration, he would still be here and would have "grown" into more of a mature player playing with these guys the last year plus.

He's such a talented player but playing in the KHL pretty much allowed him to continue to be the half an effort kind of guy. When he got back to the NHL, his mindset never changed and therefore he didn't fit the Flyers style.

He's the kind of talented player we could use for out top 6 right now.

Just need consistent effort, he could have been a star for the Rangers.

Sad. He's a talente dplayer for sure.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:45 AM
district9

i always felt like with zherdev it was more of a lack of interest thing than an effort thing. his effort was there sometimes but it was so inconsistent. it seemed more that he didn't enjoy being in north america and playing in this league where he wasn't a big star, and was content with going home to russia and being the star over there.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
nyrleetch

Remember his goal against the Penguins?

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

That guy had some really sick moves

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:57 AM
TheRedressor

Torts already chewed up and spit him out and THIS lockeroom would probably do the same.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Another example of how hockey and trick shot competitions are completely different things. People seem to forget this constantly.

How many danglers are in the NHL and successful right now? Not many, and those that are are here because they are excellent defensively to go with it like Datsyuk.

03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Vito Andolini

Funny how some fans can love what this team accomplishes night in and night out & admire the characteristics that make them successful, but at the same time yearn for someone that is basically the complete opposite.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:56 AM
BPD

I think people look at guys like Z, Filatov and other "stickhandlers" and realize that in today's NHL, if you haven't got the effort to pair with the talent, you're done.

IMO, any other year, guys like Jurco go top 10 for what he can do with the puck. New NHL? New Philosophy.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Miss this guy. Wouldn't make it under Torts but man he hand hands. I'd still take him back though. Scored one of the most clutch and memorable goals against the Pens that I've ever seen as well.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:46 AM
alves

I must admit I'd still Zherdev a second chance. Guy has an insane amount of talent/skill. It's his drive and effort that everyone questions. Also, Torts would throw him in the doghouse quickly.

alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvesNYR View Post
I must admit I'd still Zherdev a second chance. Guy has an insane amount of talent/skill. It's his drive and effort that everyone questions. Also, Torts would throw him in the doghouse quickly.
Torts already did. He played a lot with Renney. His ice time disappeared under Torts...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Kovalev was a huge reason (go re-watch game 6 vs. the Devils in '94) we won the Cup. Take it back.
That doesn't discredit what he said, everyone knows Kovalev played at far below his potential for most of his career.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
1 word. effort.

guy had all world talent, but didnt work hard enough shift in and shift out. very much like Wolski.
One more word: HEART.

As in none.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
That doesn't discredit what he said, everyone knows Kovalev played at far below his potential for most of his career.
You're joking, right?

He was completely, insanely misused by Campbell that prompted the trade to Pens in Kovalev's first stint with the Rangers. He was doing quite fine while he played in Pittsburgh for the most part. He totally sucked during his second stint with the Rangers but it was for less than 1 year. Then again he was doing quite well with the Canadiens even becoming their captain, maybe with an exception for his last year there. And in Ottawa he was already finished as a productive player. Where did you get for the most of his career is beyond me.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote