HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The hit on Briere -- No discipline?

Old
03-01-2012, 07:30 AM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
The hit on Briere -- No discipline?

Can someone please explain to me why Vlasic wasn't punished for that hit on Briere?

The news is reporting that league officials claim that Vlasic was "bracing himself" rather than pushing Briere. Looked like a pushing motion to me.

I've pretty much become pretty apathetic when it comes to lack of discipline/whistles when the Flyers are involved, but this one really stands out and really bugs me.

Am I overreacting?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Krishna

This is the 2nd time where a flyer has been violently thrown into the boards like that within the past 2 or so weeks.. It's a joke..
How can you throw your arms out like Vlasic did and be 'bracing' yourself..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:47 AM
bryzgalovsky*

I'm guessing Briere probably caught Shanahan in the face with a high stick like he is often wont to do at some point in his career.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:51 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Can someone please explain to me why Vlasic wasn't punished for that hit on Briere?
I would love explanation why Vlasic was not punished but Staal. (When Staal drove Coburn into the boards from behind. )

Make a video.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:55 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I think the one thing that saved Vlasic was Briere doing his quick and sudden stop. I still think Vlasic should--at the very least--have had a hearing. But from watching that hit over and over, I think Vlasic expected Briere to move at the puck and keep going up the boards. Instead, Briere stops suddenly, and Vlasic's momentum carries him right into Briere.

That doesn't explain the push that he gives him, though, but maybe that's what Shanahan saw.

Here's the video:

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:00 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I think the one thing that saved Vlasic was Briere doing his quick and sudden stop. I still think Vlasic should--at the very least--have had a hearing. But from watching that hit over and over, I think Vlasic expected Briere to move at the puck and keep going up the boards. Instead, Briere stops suddenly, and Vlasic's momentum carries him right into Briere.

That doesn't explain the push that he gives him, though, but maybe that's what Shanahan saw.

Here's the video:

Vlasic "braces" himself on Briere up until the point where he pushes both forearms out and propels Briere into the boards. I think the only reason there was no penalty/suspension is that Briere has a diver reputation and, like you said, stopped quickly.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Krishna

Quote:

Here's the video:

He clearly throws him into the boards.. How is that missed..

Old
03-01-2012, 08:14 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

Here's the video:

thats why it's called the NHLOL

everything is based on reputation or if you're a superstar

"oh what's that? instigating a fight with less than 5 minutes left in game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals? Well, we'll just give him a roughing penalty instead so that he's good to go for game 7"

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:23 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2605
The history of the aggressor likely played a roll in the decision.

Chris Chelios not being penalized for his hit against Brian Propp in the 1989 Playoffs puts all subsequent rulings and non-rulings to shame.

Sam @ the Inquirer filed a story late last night with this nugget:

Quote:
Surprisingly, Vlasic received no discipline from the NHL for his hit that caused Briere to strike his head into the boards. Turns out Brendan Shanahan, the league’s discipline czar, is just as inconsistent as his predecessor, Colin Campbell, when handing out fines and suspensions.

BTW, Vlasic’s only career fight was against Briere, and the players have a history of not being the best of buds.
Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#ixzz1nsJocUeG

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:26 AM
PAZUZU

to me, it looked like a 2 min boarding call at least. hopefully danny b is ok.

PAZUZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
thats why it's called the NHLOL

everything is based on reputation or if you're a superstar

"oh what's that? instigating a fight with less than 5 minutes left in game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals? Well, we'll just give him a roughing penalty instead so that he's good to go for game 7"
The things Evgeni Malkin gets away with is unbelievable!

Old
03-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Krishna

Quote:
The things Evgeni Malkin gets away with is unbelievable!
You should see my thread about him on the main boards

According to most of the people there, its being gritty.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:03 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You should see my thread about him on the main boards

According to most of the people there, its being gritty.
Those same Pens fan hypocrites complain about Ovechkin being dirty. It really is unbelievable how the band wagoners have taken over that fanbase in western PA.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Briere put himself in a bad position. Should not be a suspension. Also, even when I was watching the game I thought Briere was embellishing a little bit. I know that is not going to win me any friends around (especially in this thread) but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Briere put himself in a bad position. Should not be a suspension. Also, even when I was watching the game I thought Briere was embellishing a little bit. I know that is not going to win me any friends around (especially in this thread) but I calls 'em like I sees 'em.
You mean Briere chaised the puck, tried to stop but was slammed into the boards?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
You mean Briere chaised the puck, tried to stop but was slammed into the boards?
Yep. 9/10 that plays turns out differently. Looks like he might have caught an edge or something when trying to stop. He was back on the ice a few shifts later, don't even think he missed a shift.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:39 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
You can be my friend.

Like I said, wasn't sure if I was overreacting. I was asleep when it happened and only saw it on youtube and what not. Just annoyed me that not only was there no discipline, but unless you actively look around for anything about it,you wouldn't know anything about it.

Had this happened to one of the top stars in the league, I'm sure there would have at least been more of an explanation about it, rather than a one liner or two provided to a local Philly media guy.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
FlyerGuy18

There's a thread on the main board that's 8 pages long that whines about Rinaldo's CLEAN should to chest hit on Galiardi

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:45 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post
There's a thread on the main board that's 8 pages long that whines about Rinaldo's CLEAN should to chest hit on Galiardi
It really is what it is when it comes to Philadelphia Flyers players and anything remotely looking like hard hit.

The reputation is there and fans around the league just put on the blinders when a Flyer puts on a big hit and they just assume it's dirty.

Same thing with the reputation of Philly fans. There's much worse out there, but the media just loves to bring up "snowballs at Santa" and people around the nation just eat that up.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Those same Pens fan hypocrites complain about Ovechkin being dirty. It really is unbelievable how the band wagoners have taken over that fanbase in western PA.
you mean the fans that can't name anyone that's played for the Penguins before the lock-out aside from Lemieux, only because he's the owner, and Jagr, only because he apparently "snubbed" them this off-season?

Old
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
so did Patrice Bergeron, and yet Jones was still suspended

putting yourself in a bad position isnt an excuse to let some guy board you. at least, it isnt when it happens all the other time

Old
03-01-2012, 09:55 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Briere should come out today with a neckbrace on like Bergeron did

Old
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you mean the fans that can't name anyone that's played for the Penguins before the lock-out aside from Lemieux, only because he's the owner, and Jagr, only because he apparently "snubbed" them this off-season?
I do have a lot of friends that are real Pens fans (went to college in central PA). They are actually very educated about the game of hockey and the NHL in general. They went through so much crap earlier last decade when the team was struggling. Gotta feel good for them that now they have a Stanley Cup winning team, but...

It pains me to see all of those people during playoff games standing outside the arena like lemmings cheering on "their" team because the game is sold out. Where were they when the team was in shambles and racking up those sweet top 5 picks year after year?

Old
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

Yeah I'm actually in the same boat. No penalty and no suspension for a reason. Terrible dive and people should be ashamed if they were fooled by it.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:18 AM
BringBackStevens

He should have been suspended a game, but Briere is a diver and faked injury so It's karma I guess.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote