HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 11:56 PM
theMajor

vCash: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
So he gets a pass until his 4th season here? Why is this bum (Richards) so teflon coated? He is playing like cr@p and shows no leadership...why is he being defended????
he showed his true talent the first few weeks he was a King. factor in his concussion, TM getting booted, Sutter being hired, and having two turd wingers in Penner and Stoll.... i'm not sure many players would put up good numbers in that situation. hes a great player, he cares about the team, and he's a leader(whether you want to admit it or not)

Old
02-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Tim Tebow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
I'm having a hard time believing that we'll be more happier without the trade for Richards. If Simmonds were still on the team, he'd probably have the same stats as Clifford while Schenn would be pretty close to Loktionov, then we'll be suddenly *****ing about how this team isn't progressing enough.

Grass is always greener.
**DISCLAIMER: I am not saying Schenn is better then Richards for those who like to pick and choose what they read haha**

Schenn would probably get the recent popular Richards lines if he was still a King, haha. If we went by how his season has went it lines up. He hasn't scored much but he has been injured a couple times including a concussion. Schenn has more game winning goals then Richards. His goal per game pace is almost identical to Richards. He makes up for his lack of production with his other stuff. Schenn leads the Flyers in hits per game average with 88 hits in 34 games. When a teammate gets hit or someone goes after a teammate Schenn does not hesitate to jump in. His work ethic is admirable. Wait until next season. Etc. Etc.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:15 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

You're absolutely loco if you think Schenn was going to step up and center that second line. No chance in hell.

Next year? Ya, maybe...?

Old
03-01-2012, 12:19 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
So let me get this straight - you...

- Have a previous history of posting and admitting that Mike Richards is the type of player that wins you championships

- You ignore circumstances such as his injury, new teammates, horrible linemates, a new system, and decide that now 64 games later he is suddenly a worthless bum

- Declare a few posts up that he hasn't been a leader, despite obvious evidence to the contrary (including numerous quotes from his teammates indicating they have the highest respect for him)

All you have to cling on to is that he has 1 goal in his last 29 games.

From Nov 8 to Jan 8, Anze Kopitar had 3 goals in 28 games. 2 better than Richards' current streak. Are you willing to go on record saying that Kopitar is a bum and not a leader, as well? Or do you not have an axe to grind with him?
There is a separate thread for Kopitar that people can post to if they wish. Yes, I am disappointed in him and that is just another reason why the Richards trade should NOT have benn made. This team was not ready to compete this year and sitting in 10th place on March 1st is proof of that.

Regarding his leadership - I don't see it. Where does he show leadership on the ice? I can't think of many examples I can point to (or any for that matter). And of course the players will say the right things to keep public harmony. Who knows what they think in the locker room?

I'm tired of excuses made for this guy...injury (almost 3 months ago he came back), linemates (isn't he supposed to elevate the compete level of his linemates?), coaching (so far he has failed under 2 coaches), new system (he's a professional star player making millions...is he so dumb he can't understand it?).

Richards better pick up his game and do so quickly. We didn't give up Schenn and Simmonds for Trevor Lewis but that's what it feels like right now.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:26 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Regarding his leadership - I don't see it. Where does he show leadership on the ice? I can't think of many examples I can point to (or any for that matter).
You're too busy reading the boxscore at the end of the game and checking your fantasy hockey instead of actually watching the game.

Quote:
...And of course the players will say the right things to keep public harmony. Who knows what they think in the locker room?
Are you serious?

Old
03-01-2012, 12:45 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

PSP and tomd are still at it, I should have known that's why this thread was still so active. When the Kings or a particular player are not playing their best, they take over this board like a virus. When the team or a player plays well, they are usually no place to be seen. It's sad.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Rod Buskas*

'Rick' has been bad for a while now and especially brutal the last 2 games.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:59 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
You're too busy reading the boxscore at the end of the game and checking your fantasy hockey instead of actually watching the game.

Are you serious?

For the record I'm not in a fantasy league but I do watch the games. Anyway, you and I obviously have a different idea of what constitutes leadership. And I believe that is a major problem for this team in general...no one takes charge. Brown is too quiet and Richards doesn't seem to want to overshadow him. At least I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:02 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
PSP and tomd are still at it, I should have known that's why this thread was still so active. When the Kings or a particular player are not playing their best, they take over this board like a virus. When the team or a player plays well, they are usually no place to be seen. It's sad.
Yup...Richards has given me plenty of material to work with since early December.

Mercifully, it looks like I'll run out of material from him in early April...unless I start watching his golf game instead of the SC playoffs...or check out the bar scene in the south bay with his newly acquired boyfriend.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:11 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
So let me get this straight - you...

- Have a previous history of posting and admitting that Mike Richards is the type of player that wins you championships

- You ignore circumstances such as his injury, new teammates, horrible linemates, a new system, and decide that now 64 games later he is suddenly a worthless bum

- Declare a few posts up that he hasn't been a leader, despite obvious evidence to the contrary (including numerous quotes from his teammates indicating they have the highest respect for him)

All you have to cling on to is that he has 1 goal in his last 29 games.

From Nov 8 to Jan 8, Anze Kopitar had 3 goals in 28 games. 2 better than Richards' current streak. Are you willing to go on record saying that Kopitar is a bum and not a leader, as well? Or do you not have an axe to grind with him?
Kopitar still had 18 points during that stretch. Scoring at over a 50 point paces is pretty good for a slump.

Richards only has 9 points in his last 29 games.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:11 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Yup...Richards has given me plenty of material to work with since early December.

Mercifully, it looks like I'll run out of material from him in early April...unless I start watching his golf game instead of the SC playoffs...or check out the bar scene in the south bay with his newly acquired boyfriend.
It's obvious you have some sort of agenda against him based on your childish "boyfriend" comments. But I'll remember you said these things when Richards finds his game and starts playing well for us. In the meanwhile, keep making yourself feel better by slandering him and downplaying his abilities. I doubt anyone around here takes you seriously anyway.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:27 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
You and I obviously have a different idea of what constitutes leadership. And I believe that is a major problem for this team in general...no one takes charge. Brown is too quiet and Richards doesn't seem to want to overshadow him.

Oh ya, you're right. Leadership wouldn't consist of fighting the guy on the other team that just took out your best player.

Richards with a fight and a beautiful setup for the game winning goal defeating Dallas 1-0.

Ya, Flyer fans really hated their heartless Captain. 90-10, big guy.

Penalty kill. Oh ya, you were too busy checking your stats on fantasy hockey. Is it his fault Trevor Lewis has 4 points this year? Oops, you were comparing Lewis to Richards above...

Richards is a beast.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:44 AM
Johnny Utah

Let's get something straight here, it's not just a couple fans who are complaining about Richards play, Hammond did a piece about how Richards said he is struggling. Fox mentioned it on the air. Craig Button called him out last week. Matt Barry wrote a blog about him.

This is from a few weeks back.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...im-frustrated/

It's not just a few fans anymore.

I have supported the majority of Lombardi's moves since 2006. I just think he has made some piss poor decisions in the past year.

What exactly has Richards done? 1 big hit? 3 fights? 1 goal in 29 games? He didn't even factor in the last win...We gave up all that for this?

I just don't get it.

This is not what I expected. I don't understand how people compare Kopitar...he was a Kings draft pick...we didn't trade Schenn/Simmonds for him. If Richards was a draft pick of LA, I wouldn't be as mad, it's what we gave up and the timing of that really bothers me now. This is one of the most over hyped players I've seen wear a Kings jersey in awhile. Half of us knew Penner was trash and previous coaches had there issues with him, but Richards? I don't get it.

Oh and get off the line mate bandwagon. He has previously played with Nodl, Powe, Carcillo and Zherdev. Not exactly 1st liners...Three players who are 4th liners and one out of the NHL.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:57 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Two points:
1. NO ONE expected Richards to have 31 points at this point in the season and be on a 1 goal in 29 game and no goals in 19 games streaks. NO ONE. The fact that he is stinking up the place should merit some concern and - among the objective - some criticism. Maybe a lot of both.
2. If we have to wait until the 7th game of a playoff series to see the "real" Mike Richards then I'll pass. Shouldn't he be "elevating his game" in the midst of a playoff stretch? Especially now that he has his boyfriend to play with.
If you want to talk about it from a statsheet/points perspective, then yes, Richards has been a disappointment and deserves some criticism. But can't the same be said for the whole team?

Kopitar is only on pace for around 69 points. A guy with a cap hit close to $7 million should be in the 80 point range, shouldn't he? Brown is on pace to finish with less than 50 points for the first time since the 2006-07 season. Penner is having his worst season ever statistically. Stoll is on pace for around 25 points after three consecutive 40+ point seasons. Doughty is on pace for his worst season statistically since his rookie season.

That's why it's hard for me to "single out" Richards. He's not the only one who has struggled this year. The whole offense has struggled in general. The scoring numbers have been down across the board for the whole team. When factoring in his concussion, the coaching change, and the defensive style of hockey the Kings play, it's hard to really rip into Richards.

He's a guy that brings so much more than "stats" to the table. He's a guy that you have to watch play to appreciate what he does. Great two way player, leader, heart and soul player, plays with a chip on his shoulder.

It's also hard to expect consistent statistical production when he's been playing with guys like King and Nolan on his wings for quite a while. Carter has only been here for a few games. Can't expect them to light it up every night. There's an adjustment period.

I didn't say the seventh game of a series, I just said in a seven game series you really see how great of an asset Mike Richards is. He does need to elevate his play down the stretch here, and I'm confident he will. Him and Carter could catch fire here down the stretch. If the Kings make the playoffs, I expect Richards to be a big reason why. If they make a deep run, I expect Richards to be a key reason why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
Richards is usually good in the playoffs (not every year), but Zetterberg is head and shoulders better then Richards in the playoffs.
Agree Zetterberg is on another level in terms of elevating his play in the playoffs. Few are better than him. But I do think Richards similarly elevates his game as the stage gets bigger, and that's why I love both Richards and Zetterberg. I can't wait to see what Richards does in the playoffs for the Kings (if we make it).

Old
03-01-2012, 02:25 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Let's get something straight here, it's not just a couple fans who are complaining about Richards play, Hammond did a piece about how Richards said he is struggling. Fox mentioned it on the air. Craig Button called him out last week. Matt Barry wrote a blog about him.
Yes, it is only a "couple" fans, or more specifically the minority of fans who feel that Richards is not an asset to the team.

For the last time, nobody is denying that Richards is having a terrible year statistically. I don't think that's in question. Obviously he is struggling and not playing up to his capability. What the Richards defenders are responding to is the assertion that he's a bad player, not a leader, and all the other BS thrown his way.

Also, I don't give a flying **** what Matt Barry or Craig Button say about him. Could you pick two less credible sources?

Old
03-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Matt Barry wrote a blog about him.

Last edited by Nex06: 03-01-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old
03-01-2012, 08:28 AM
livingminimal

This has got to be one of the worst arm-chair troll threads I've ever seen.

The seriousness of it (and your credibility) ends with questioning Richie's leadership.

I think that was back on page 1.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Also, I don't give a flying **** what Matt Barry or Craig Button say about him. Could you pick two less credible sources?
Well, from what I understand Matt Barry is nothing more than a blogger and a sensationalist at that, so his opinion isn't worth anything more than yours or mine IMO. That said, Craig Buttom is a current analyst who gets paid for his knowledge. He's also a former VP and GM in the NHL with a vast knowledge of the game and has scouted Mike Richards since he was a teenager. Yes, I think Craig Button knows what he's talking about. So does Glenn Healey and Rick Tocchet who have "chimed in" on Richards. Matt Barry though, not so much.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
johnjm22

Craig Button is a rambling idiot.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
The seriousness of it (and your credibility) ends with questioning Richie's leadership.
How so? Put down the press clippings and look at the reality. Mike Richards was "labelled" a great captain because of his success in Kitchener and Team Canada. And being fair, Mike Richards was also the "captain" when the Philadelphia Flyers got to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010. Those are facts, and I do not dispute them.

However, I will say this...

There's a big difference between being a captain in the OHL and being the captain in the NHL. In the OHL, Richards was captaining kids his own age and at his own talent level. That makes it easier to be lauded as a "great captain" just by leading by example, playing physical and doing all the little things that scouts notice. Being a captain in the NHL is a different beast altogether... you need to lead a team of professional grown men who are members of a multi-billion dollar industry known as the National Hockey League.

Does a "great leader" get traded in his prime at 26 years old? Does a "great leader" engage in a verbal war with the local media? Does a "great leader" get called out for not being fully dedicated? Does a "great leader" get described as "the most unhappy athlete in Philadelphia"? When was the last time a Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Sakic, Iginla, Crosby, Toews, etc. found themselves in this type of situation?

Mike Richards has not even played 7 full seasons in the NHL and was on the bench when 3 different coaches were fired: Ken Hitchcock, John Stevens and Terry Murray. Mike Richards also did not have the best relationship with a Cup winning coach like Peter Laviolette in Philadelphia.

The job of an "NHL captain" first and foremost is to be the liaison between the coach and the players. He needs to first buy in to what the coach is selling and then make sure he executes the plan on the ice and holds his teammates accountable for executing the plan as well. The last thing you want your captain to be is selfish or divisive.

Let's not confuse "leadership" with "playing physical and working hard on the ice", there is a difference... a BIG difference. True leaders know how to treat people, how to inspire people, how to get the most out of people and how to handle situations. Quite honestly, I think Mike Richards is poor at all of those things. That doesn't mean he doesn't have talent and isn't a good "player" though. But to sit here and say something like, "Your credibility ends with questioning Richie's leadership" is insane. I mean, really? This isn't Jarome Iginla we're talking about here folks.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Craig Button is a rambling idiot.
Craig Button forgot 100 times more than you or I will ever know about the game of hockey. When you GM an NHL team and get well into six figures a year to offer your knowledge about the game of hockey, let me know and I'll offer you an apology (then ask you for a job )

Old
03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Craig Button forgot 100 times more than you or I will ever know about the game of hockey. When you GM an NHL team and get well into six figures a year to offer your knowledge about the game of hockey, let me know and I'll offer you an apology (then ask you for a job )
Just because someone pays you to do a job doesn't automatically make you any good at it.

Craig Button IS a rambling idiot.

He has been fired for doing poorly as a GM et al.

He also has a specific axe to grind against the Kings.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Omni Owl

tl:dr version: Richards doesn't only suck, whole team sucks- the end

Old
03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
johnjm22

It's assumed that educated people in high positions are intelligent and knowledgeable. That's certainly not always the case, whether it be in politics, or management of an NHL team, or whatever else.

There's a reason why Button, Milbury and McLean aren't sitting behind a GM desk anymore; or even working as a scout.

I'm sure Scott Howson will make a great addition to the NHL 2Night panel one day.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Just because someone pays you to do a job doesn't automatically make you any good at it.
False. You have to be "good" at something to even be considered for the job. That doesn't mean you'll automatically have much success at it though. There's many factors for that though.

Quote:
Craig Button IS a rambling idiot.
You don't like his style, delivery or personality, fine. That's your right. But to call him an "idiot" makes you appear to be one. He's not an idiot, he knows the game and he's an intelligent man who has a perspective based on decades of being a student of the game and working in it at various levels. Personally, I don't find Button to be "entertaining" or "engaging" but he's FAR from an idiot.

Quote:
He has been fired for doing poorly as a GM et al.
This is a blanket statement but you have no idea "why" he was fired. GMs are fired for many different reasons. Usually though, the ones who are "idiots" don't end up making good money for offering their insight as an analyst.

Quote:
He also has a specific axe to grind against the Kings.
I don't know about that or don't know "why" he would. Did the Kings fire him? Did Dean Lombardi run over his puppy or not donate a kidney to his sick child? I honestly don't know why Button would have some extra disdain or bias against the Kings? And would he let this "bias" effect his reputation and credibility as an analyst trying to make a living? Doubtful. Perhaps even borderline ridiculous.

Closed Thread