HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

RC "getting it" the way JM never did... OR NOT

Old
02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
I've never been really opposed to coaches juggling their lines to find something that works. RC, on the other hand, never tried to juggle his 2nd and lower lines to find something that really clicked, although he did blow up something that clicked(AK with Eller) with one of his changes. And while the Patches-DD-Cole line has been good, I think it's time to try and spread out are scorers because we're kind of thin on that, but nope, still stuck with that. It's ****ing annoying.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:24 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
im thinking RC stands for "Really Crap"

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:52 AM
phoque taupe

It's for "Reaching Colombus"

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Prendan Brust

Cunneyworth isn't an NHL coach period. Martin had his weaknesses but he was able to get way more out of this team than RC. The only thing that RC still does that Martin was doing too is give a lot of days off. I wonder whats behind this trend in MTL.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
where are all the anglos blindly defending him just because he was a symbol of their cause not to care about a french coach

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:51 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
where are all the anglos blindly defending him just because he was a symbol of their cause not to care about a french coach
Such a victim here, he is terrible but initially changing the fore check and allowing the younger guys to play was a plus. It just turns out he couldn't manage a bench/game to save his life. Don't worry though all the blind hating done by the other side will result in a coach that speaks french and not the best available coach.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:05 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
ok, I know it's "just" a 4-game winning streak, and we've had our fair share of luck in the process...

but I would like to point out that, with the team on it's biggest winning streak of the season, 2 highly paid/ineffective vets are getting the kind of minutes their play warrants, as opposed to their age/experience/salary.

Aside from the Pitt overtime game (where Kaberle got 17min), both Gomez and Kaberle have seen their minutes kept under 15min (kaberle)/12min(gomez) in all 4 wins...

RC seems to "get it" in a way that Martin stubbornly never did.

It's one thing to play the guys you trust, or the guys you "think" give you the best chance to win, its another thing to simply default to experience/salary as a rational for ice time.

Gomez and Kaberle, by virtue of their level of performance, are getting the kind of minutes they deserve, yet were Martin still in place, very good chance we'd be seeing both with a lot more minutes.

and yes, I do realize that Martin's record/win% with the team this year was better than RC's... but will be interesting to see how that looks by the end of the year.

RC isn't without his issues as a coach, but given the way he was brought in (and thrown under the bus), and given that this is is first stint as an NHL coach, it only makes sense to give him some time to actually put his "stamp" on the team.

This may just be a small upswing, and this team may remain a sub-500 team the rest of the season, but right now, how they are competing and more importantly, how what their body language & comments suggest about their level of "buy-in" with the team/coach/program, looks way better than it was under Martin... and as some like to point out, at the time of his firing, the team had been having a pretty good month, results-wise, without any noticeable positive reflection from the players.

Guys "get it"... when a coach plays people based on effectiveness/effort, everyone feels better (and those that don't, are exactly the kind of guys you don't win with).

both Gomez & Kaberle, to their credit, don't seem to be pouting about being used sparsely, which says a lot about their character... just hope PG can find a way to get rid of both before next season.
I doubt this will hold true as coaches could never do no right according to our fans in recent years. Rather it is Martin, Carbonneau, Gainey, Vigneault or Julien. Cunneyworth high chance end up same as them here

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Captain Saku

Imagine Gauthier, RC and Gomez all still with the team next season lol.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Looks like most of our fans still don't understand that we are tanking.
This. And I'd add that they don't know the definition of "interim".

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:36 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
That's my biggest fear, really.

Molson needs to get some good advice from Serge Savard and clean the house, right after the end of the season... to give a little adaptation time before the very important draft. Don't let Timmins draft a grinder with his first pick, we need a star. If we pass on Grigorenko because Timmins isn't impress by his credentials and becomes another Kopitar, I'm going to lose it.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I think Habs would lose a lot in popularity if they all remained here.
Not only would it be a bad hockey decision, but I would be a very bad business one too. I'm sure Molson is well aware of that.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
If RC is indeed a puppet than I feel for him because he certainly isn't making a case for staying or getting another job at the NHL level. I guess behind closed door, Gauthier and co. will tell other GMs that he followed the company line, even though the company line wouldn't be very popular among people who pays to watch the worst possible line up one the Habs can ice....

Still is following the company line enough to get another coaching job at the NHL when you never delivered anything else? Not sure about that...

Old
03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
If RC is indeed a puppet than I feel for him because he certainly isn't making a case for staying or getting another job at the NHL level. I guess behind closed door, Gauthier and co. will tell other GMs that he followed the company line, even though the company line wouldn't be very popular among people who pays to watch the worst possible line up one the Habs can ice....

Still is following the company line enough to get another coaching job at the NHL when you never delivered anything else? Not sure about that...
in some cases maybe but not in this one... once it was made clear that he would lose his job after the last game of the season, he HAD to show other GMs what he is capable of, even if it meant not following orders.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Cunneyworth isn't an NHL coach period. Martin had his weaknesses but he was able to get way more out of this team than RC. The only thing that RC still does that Martin was doing too is give a lot of days off. I wonder whats behind this trend in MTL.
LOL you're hilarious. You'll see in a few seasons, he'll be coaching a team deep in the playoffs. Nothing new.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
LOL you're hilarious. You'll see in a few seasons, he'll be coaching a team deep in the playoffs. Nothing new.
Care to substantiate your prediction? You may think your arrogance is enough to convince people you disagree with but it doesn't fly with me. In fact it only convinces me to scratch you as someone I'd rather not read.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
"This" what exactly??? They were thinking about tanking in mid December when they changed coaches?

In the real pro sports world, there is no tanking; the concept only exists here.

And if RC was competent enough, he'd damn double his effort to make sure to show what he's capable of, if he knew he was "interim".

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
"This" what exactly??? They were thinking about tanking in mid December when they changed coaches?

In the real pro sports world, there is no tanking; the concept only exists here.
"this", besides they didnt need to fire the coach if they wanted to tank, just removing a few players (like trading AK and Gill for example) would have worked.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Looks like most of our fans still don't understand that we are tanking.
Were they tanking when Martin was fired and they were on the edge of the playoffs? Right after trading for Kaberele? Because that's when this stuff started.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I doubt this will hold true as coaches could never do no right according to our fans in recent years. Rather it is Martin, Carbonneau, Gainey, Vigneault or Julien. Cunneyworth high chance end up same as them here
I really believe that if hf was around in the 70's, there would also be an anti scotty bowman group.

There are some coaches I've disliked, but they get way too much heat here when things go bad. Its like Ron Wilson in Toronto. Is it his fault that schenn handles the puck like a hot potato? There are other issues to look at rather than just blaming the coach.

I dont even think its fair to evaluate RC in this circus of a season, tbh.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:42 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I really believe that if hf was around in the 70's, there would also be an anti scotty bowman group.

There are some coaches I've disliked, but they get way too much heat here when things go bad. Its like Ron Wilson in Toronto. Is it his fault that schenn handles the puck like a hot potato? There are other issues to look at rather than just blaming the coach.

I dont even think its fair to evaluate RC in this circus of a season, tbh.
- Geoffrion/Plekanec/White
- destroyed the Eller/AK/Moen line
- AK production was 1/3 of what it was with previous coaches
- can find a decent line for Bourque to play on

HE is one of the reasons this season is a circus... he is part of it...

Old
03-01-2012, 01:48 PM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
if that happens just give up on 2013, loan price to the blue jackets for a year and tank for Mackinnon.

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
4 pts out of a playoff spot, gauthier fired martin saying he wanted to whip the troops and push for a playoff spot. He then added thomas kaberle to the team, saying it would help the powerplay.

I can't see how the fans' reaction, (seeing that RC is NOT better than Martin, and that we will miss the playoffs) can be criticized. Pierrrrre doesn't know what the ff... he is doing (or lied), cuz if his idea was to start tanking 4 pts out of a playoff spot in december ... he needs to lose his job ASAP and live a quiet exile in china. Like he said, '' un language ca s'apprend'' .

his arrogance, your arrogance ... is what people are really tired of. Its not so much missing the playoffs anymore, its having people who don't have a clue what they're talking about trying to convince us that we know nothing while we sit here and laugh at all the answers they give to explain their unforgiveable mistakes ... like ... assuming and telling the world Markov would Star this year.

Interim is a nice word, and I think everyone here knows what it means ... what you probably missed in your thought process is this simple question ; Why an interim ? and if you come to the conclusion that that was the BEST thing PG could come up with ... here's another question ; Why not an interim GM ?

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
- Geoffrion/Plekanec/White
- destroyed the Eller/AK/Moen line
- AK production was 1/3 of what it was with previous coaches
- can find a decent line for Bourque to play on

HE is one of the reasons this season is a circus... he is part of it...
I'm fine with that as long as you dont dump everything on him. I'm tired of recycling coaches every two years though. There's a bigger issue here, because other so called idiot coaches who came through here turned out to be jack adams calibur.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:09 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
4 pts out of a playoff spot, gauthier fired martin saying he wanted to whip the troops and push for a playoff spot. He then added thomas kaberle to the team, saying it would help the powerplay.
He actually added Kaberle shortly before firing Martin -- 8 days earlier in fact. Trading for Kaberle can be criticized in many ways, but it wasn't a move designed to tank.

Unless the team changed its mind and decided to tank simetime inisde that 8-day span (covering 3 games in which the Habs went 2-1-0), then replacing Martin with Cunneyworth wasn't an intentional tank. It seems that someone genuinely believed this would make the team better.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:09 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm fine with that as long as you dont dump everything on him. I'm tired of recycling coaches every two years though. There's a bigger issue here, because other so called idiot coaches who came through here turned out to be jack adams calibur.
some yes, but not the Carbonneau, not the Perron or Berry, not the Tremblay either...

some we fired turned out to be very good, but not all of them.