HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Quick vs Bernier

Old
03-01-2012, 05:24 AM
topliner967

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesed View Post
I think Quick should definitely stay. He's been the foundation that has weathered quite a storm this year, and he's proven.

That said, I actually feel safer, in a way, when Bernier is out in goal. Quick tends to sprawl on a lot of saves. The 2nd chances he creates sometimes scare the crap out of me. But damn are they awesome saves. Bernier, on the other hand, always seems so calm and poise. When teams attack, even on 3-on-2, he's so well-positioned and chill... "come at me bro" kind of attitude.

I wish we could keep both forever. =P
I agree. Bernier exudes a calmness that at least makes me as a fan feel confident in him. But with the numbers Quick has been putting up and his winning mentality I think you got to go with Quick.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:03 AM
livingminimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Dean would be wise to consider how Halak's team is doing vs. how Price's is doing....
I'd be cautious in hanging that on Carey. he hasn't been great, but he has an absolutely abysmal team in front of him.

livingminimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
I'd be cautious in hanging that on Carey. he hasn't been great, but he has an absolutely abysmal team in front of him.
And, the other one too, it isn't all Halak in St.Louis. He's been very good for sure, but he is splitting games down the middle with Brian Elliot who has the better stats. So, it's not fair to say that the Blues are great because of Halak.

As to our own situation, no doubt Quick has been outstanding for us this season. Every goalie in the league makes mistakes and lets in soft goals occassionally - but there haven't been a whole lot of that going on this year. A bit here and there, but not a lot.

But he still has to prove his quality in a playoff situation. He has a 3.3 goals against average and a 4-8 record in the playoffs. Not exactly stellar stats there. And as far as I can remember he has been getting pretty good scoring support in those two series. Last year against San Jose it was 2 (loss), 4 (win), 5 (loss), 3 (loss), 3 (win) and 3 (loss). 2 years ago against Vancouver he had 2 (loss), 3 (win), 5 (win), 4 (loss), 2 (loss) and 2 (loss). His overtime record is 1-4 in the playoffs.

Obviously it's not a one-man thing to win in the playoffs. But, to me, he still has something to prove in the playoffs.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Kingler

You got to try to sign Quick. He deserves a serious offer. But if it doesn't work out I'm still comfortable with Bernier as #1

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
SMoneyMonkey

I like Bernier's style more. And, at least the other night, he was really good with rebounds. Some of Quick's rebounds are borderline assists for the other team.

I think both are pretty amazing. I'd keep both as long as possible. I'd play Bernier a lot more. It's annoying when you look at the stats and realize that with decent goalie management a decent amount of those loses could be wins...

But yeah, goalies generally have off seasons. There are exceptions to the rule: Price. I'd really like to keep both for now. Especially with gagner coming back (eventually). With him and Carter we should be able to keep this team competitive through draft picks and FA.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

As an outsider, I think you have to keep Quick and move Bernier for other assets that can benefit the team. Hang your hat on Quick for the next ten years and sign a reliable back-up (of which there are many in the NHL).

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:38 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

IF Quick signs the right kind of deal in the summer, I have no problem moving Bernier. Until that happens it is wise to hold onto him. Also a 4-5 year deal is plenty for a goalie. Too much can go wrong and the team doesn't need to be handcuffed to a long-term deal.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
As an outsider, I think you have to keep Quick and move Bernier for other assets that can benefit the team. Hang your hat on Quick for the next ten years and sign a reliable back-up (of which there are many in the NHL).
We got Jones in the pipeline to move up if Bernier gets dealt.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Kept Nabokov and Toskala, traded Kiprusoff. At the time Nabokov was the more accomplished goaltender. Nabokov was also the one who got a payday so he was much tougher to get any value for afterwards.

Later Toskala was traded by Doug Wilson for the 1st rounder that he used to select Logan Couture, I believe.

- R
.><.
Toskala was traded for a 1st AND a 2nd. Ouch, Toronto.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I like Bernier's style more. And, at least the other night, he was really good with rebounds. Some of Quick's rebounds are borderline assists for the other team.I think both are pretty amazing. I'd keep both as long as possible. I'd play Bernier a lot more. It's annoying when you look at the stats and realize that with decent goalie management a decent amount of those loses could be wins...

But yeah, goalies generally have off seasons. There are exceptions to the rule: Price. I'd really like to keep both for now. Especially with gagner coming back (eventually). With him and Carter we should be able to keep this team competitive through draft picks and FA.
You're joking right? Bernier is not even close to Quick when it comes to rebound control.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:08 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Give up Bernier to a team that needs a starter, Leafs maybe, let him have the same amount of chances to develop as Quick has and we'll find out who the better goalie is.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
anyone know the scenario in San Jose? Did he keep the best goalie etc.
Not sure if DL was still n San Jose when they dealt away their goalies, but I do not think they did.
They had Toskala, Nabokov, and Kipper.
They traded Kipper for a 4th or something (the best goalie of the group)
Not sure what happened to Toskala but I think he is the worse of the bunch
The kept Nabokov, who was a great goalie for them, btu imagine if they kept kipper.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Perro

Everyone who thinks LA should 100% go with Quick at what cost?
If he was making 4-5mil I think that would be ideal. If he demands Bryz money I hope we sending him packing.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
If he was making 4-5mil I think that would be ideal. If he demands Bryz money I hope we sending him packing.
I think they gotta be willing to go 5 or 6 years at 6-6.5M.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:44 PM
chesed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
What I hope doesn't happen is that he gets paid a ****ton more and his numbers fall off.

If that's gonna happen, I sure as hell would go with Bernier. I prefer people to work hard for their money.

That said, Quick doesn't seem to have the personality to do that. I hope he continues to better himself -- I see nothing but awesome things if he does.

chesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeyMonster View Post
Give up Bernier to a team that needs a starter, Leafs maybe, let him have the same amount of chances to develop as Quick has and we'll find out who the better goalie is.
How about no?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:36 PM
LaLaLand

If we can't sign Quicker to a sweetheart contract or he is looking for Rinne money i'd ship him out without hesitation... Bernie has done nothing but develop the right way and has mad potential.. the last thing this organization should do is ship Bernier out for quantity like a pick and a prospect.. seems some people just like making trades for ***** and giggles.

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Omni Owl

Bernier doesn't play nearly enough...

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It's a bit of an opposite situation while being exactly the same. In San Jose, Kipper and Nabby were in the same position, obviously they kept the more experienced Nabby and let Kipper go. This time around we have Quick, whose style closely relates to that of Kipper, and then there is Bernier, whose style closely relates to Nabby, but this time the acrobatic goaltender has the experience over the technical one.

I personally like Bernier more, I like his style and approach and I think he will inevitably be the better of the two, but at this point, Quick has commanded an insurmountable lead. There is just no way possible for Bernier to catch up and the risk is too great to trade Quick away in hopes of Bernier establishing himself in the same fashion. They have no choice but to trade Bernier and sign Quick indefinitely.

He is on pace for a Vezina nomination, is still young, and has shown to be able to endure a large workload as well as being the most durable player on the roster. As long as Quick stays healthy, Bernier has no where to go on this team no matter how good he plays. It's not even a debate anymore.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Fripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
You're joking right? Bernier is not even close to Quick when it comes to rebound control.
Srsly. I've never seen a Kings' goalie absorb shots with no rebound like Quick does.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I like Bernier's style more. And, at least the other night, he was really good with rebounds. Some of Quick's rebounds are borderline assists for the other team.

I think both are pretty amazing. I'd keep both as long as possible. I'd play Bernier a lot more. It's annoying when you look at the stats and realize that with decent goalie management a decent amount of those loses could be wins...

I agree with you.. Bernier has great rebound control. Quick scares me sometimes. I hope we keep Bernier...

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp View Post
Srsly. I've never seen a Kings' goalie absorb shots with no rebound like Quick does.
Really? Quick boots out a pretty decent share of juicy rebounds...

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
SFKingshomer

Depends how Quick does in the playoffs and how much coin he asks for

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Really? Quick boots out a pretty decent share of juicy rebounds...
I think it's funny, because the answer will change depending on who you ask

I think Quick has really reined in his rebounds--I think that and efficiency are the areas he's improved the most.

Bernier actually threw out some nasty rebounds to dangerous areas the other night, though some of that may have just been due to not being in a rhythm (goalies tend to battle the puck a bit more when they're cold).

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quick's rebounds have improved overall, and he's a bit nastier these days, which I like. He still gets burned by over committing to shooters, but again not as badly as he used to. The D-core really shines in clearing the house for him in this regard.

One thing that always bothered me about Bernier is that although he is the more technical and composed of the two in his positioning, he has trouble reacting to traffic and scrambles. I don't know what to call that, so I'll go with "improvisation."

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote