HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ESPN Demotes College Hockey; So shocked!

Old
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
nyrmessier011

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodySaveKreider View Post
As soon as that contract is up, NBC Sports should go after college hockey.

Would be a good way to promote the game.
They show college hockey already.

When you live in the NYmetro area, you think ESPNU is trash, but most other parts of the country, it's a defacto ESPN3, broadcasted on most providers one channel next to ESPN2 and available as part of a basic package. It's not that terrible to show games there. They are trying to grow that network also.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Richards to Gaborik

Lol the part about routine slam dunks is sooo true.

Richards to Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Beyond brutal.

I still go up there quite a bit because the gf's family is from n.VT, not a helluva lot going on, but it's a lovely place, especially if you're a skier or into fishing.
I have an ex gf from there. It was nice going out on the lake with the 3 mountains, 2 states and Canada. Downtown Burlington is a good time. Nice small clean city. Very nice people.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:23 AM
truebluegoalie

There is no doubt that ESPN's coverage of hockey is awful. I honestly don't know why people still go there for hockey coverage and then complain when it is garbage or just not existent.

As far as the college goes, it is funny that this was brought up because as I was watching the Rangers Monday night and saw the advertisement for the Friday night NCAA game of the week on NBCSN it got me thinking about this very subject. In addition to the lack of popularity of hockey in general, and money involved in other college sports, I think one thing that also hurts NCAA hockey coverage when compared to football and basketball is that there are no minor leagues in those sports. A hockey player can be drafted out of college and then play in the minors for a few years, or players just skip college and play in any number of minor leagues before finally being called up. The same goes for baseball, although the CWS will still be on ESPN and ESPN2 this year but college baseball doesn't get the same type of coverage football/basketball get.

Point is, college football/basketball is essentially the minor leagues for those sports, these players come from there and play in these very popular leagues, combine that with the money aspect involved in these two sports and there is your answer.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 03-01-2012 at 11:28 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
NickyMaz

Sad to see, but not terribly surprising considering the history of ESPN and the sport of ice hockey.

I know a lot of guys on this board will tell us to forget about ESPN but it nevertheless bothers me because for casual sports fans ESPN is THE place to go. They are in many ways the taste-makers for many sports fans and when they see them treat hockey like it barely exists.

Now, the solution to this is to either craw back to the ESPN thrown and beg for coverage. The other option is to grow NBC Sports and the NHL Network as a viable alternative to the"world-wide leader in sports."

Now that we have a home in the NBC Sports network we need to go with it and hockey will grow through it. And I think eventually adding the Frozen Four will be a great thing!

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
Lol the part about routine slam dunks is sooo true.
The skill it takes to slam dunk is minimal: any random person can do it. I'd like to see any random person deke out a world class goaltender on a breakaway, or stop a 108 mile an hour Zdeno Chara slapshot. Those things take WAY more skill than throwing down a dunk.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Yes. This was #2 on Sportscenter Top 10:

This was #1:

Explain please.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

explain what? that they only promote the products that they air?

AdamBanks99 is offline   Reply With Quote