Charlie Coyle Signs ELC

Old
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
Charlie Coyle Signs ELC

Good news:

Wild sign Charlie Coyle

Last edited by GopherState: 03-01-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

SWEET! Wasn't a huge fan until I saw what he could do in juniors. Hopefully he brings that skill, size, and two-way play to the pro game.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:08 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

So what's the signing cutoff for the Calder Cup playoffs? Russo mentioned possible paper transactions for Scandella and someone else to make them eligible, will Coyle be eligible for them now?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Very nice to see Coyle locked up. I can't wait for him to make an impact at the pro level.

It'll be interesting to see if Coyle and Phillips can be put on the Aeros playoffs roster. I'd really like to see how they do in the AHL for the playoffs but you have to think they're sticking to another Memorial Cup run which would probably conflict with the Calder Cup playoffs.

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:22 AM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
So what's the signing cutoff for the Calder Cup playoffs? Russo mentioned possible paper transactions for Scandella and someone else to make them eligible, will Coyle be eligible for them now?
I think he would be eligible. Didnt Bulmer play a few games in last years playoffs?

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I think he would be eligible. Didnt Bulmer play a few games in last years playoffs?
I remember Scandella was put on the Aeros roster after his Q season was over a couple years ago, but his Q team didn't make the playoffs either, so his junior season was done early. With Coyle and Phillips, you have to think they're not going to be taken off the Sea Dogs roster, assuming the Memorial Cup and Calder Cup schedules conflict.

I don't know, I'm waiting for Squidz to make an official ruling. He's always good at laying out the rules and technicalities for stuff like this.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Very nice to see Coyle locked up. I can't wait for him to make an impact at the pro level.

It'll be interesting to see if Coyle and Phillips can be put on the Aeros playoffs roster. I'd really like to see how they do in the AHL for the playoffs but you have to think they're sticking to another Memorial Cup run which would probably conflict with the Calder Cup playoffs.
I was thinking the Memorial cup was a little earlier than that, but could be mistaken. Phillips will be eligible for the Calder Cup playoffs, but I'm not sure whether the cutoff is before or after the trade deadline so it's unclear to me for Coyle.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:38 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Well I'm looking it up. So far I've found the rule for NHL players playing in the Calder cup. Ironically, I found that because of an incident where Nick Johnson couldn't play for the Penguins. The rule for NHL players is "any player on an NHL roster on the day of the NHL trade deadline is not eligible to participate in the Calder Cup playoffs." Still looking on the CHL player point.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:11 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Triple post to say...From what I can tell, they just need to be under contract prior to the playoffs starting. Everything I've been seeing says that eligible players for the playoffs are the 22 players on the "Clear Day Roster" plus any junior players under contract to the parent team and eligible to play in the AHL in the following year.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Triple post to say...From what I can tell, they just need to be under contract prior to the playoffs starting. Everything I've been seeing says that eligible players for the playoffs are the 22 players on the "Clear Day Roster" plus any junior players under contract to the parent team and eligible to play in the AHL in the following year.
Well, that sounds like he'd be eligible.

As far as the scheduling goes, the QMJHL regular season ends this month and the AHL playoffs start in April. The kicker though is that the Memorial Cup isn't until mid-late May. The Sea Dogs have clinched the Regular Season Championship (58-7-1-2 record), so barring a complete and total meltdown, I'd say there's a good chance they play in the Memorial Cup.

Somebody double check me, but it sounds like Coyle and Phillips wouldn't be in Houston this season unless the Sea Dogs lose early in the QMJHL playoffs.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:48 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
Well, that sounds like he'd be eligible.

As far as the scheduling goes, the QMJHL regular season ends this month and the AHL playoffs start in April. The kicker though is that the Memorial Cup isn't until mid-late May. The Sea Dogs have clinched the Regular Season Championship (58-7-1-2 record), so barring a complete and total meltdown, I'd say there's a good chance they play in the Memorial Cup.

Somebody double check me, but it sounds like Coyle and Phillips wouldn't be in Houston this season unless the Sea Dogs lose early in the QMJHL playoffs.
Sounds about right. Anyone know how Kelowna's looking for their potential run? Bulmer should be eligible no matter how the rules are set so if they're out early, he could make an appearance.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Sounds about right. Anyone know how Kelowna's looking for their potential run? Bulmer should be eligible no matter how the rules are set so if they're out early, he could make an appearance.
Standings for the WHL

Currently, Kelowna is in 6th place in the Western Conference, but they are also probably stuck there (14 pts behind 5th place). As it stands, they play whoever doesn't win the US Division in the Western Conference between Tri-City and Portland.

So, unless they play out of their minds in the first round, I'd say we're more than likely looking at an early playoff exit for Kelowna and Bulmer on the Aeros roster.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:19 AM
keppel146
We love Bacon

great to see coyle locked up. (now all we need is granlund) you can bet though that zp/cc will be going for the memorial cup and not participating in the AHL playoffs though.

on a 2nd note, is bulmers game at all similar to brodziaks? with the exception that bulmer might have a little more upside offensively?

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:27 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
great to see coyle locked up. (now all we need is granlund) you can bet though that zp/cc will be going for the memorial cup and not participating in the AHL playoffs though.

on a 2nd note, is bulmers game at all similar to brodziaks? with the exception that bulmer might have a little more upside offensively?
Bulmer is an agitator. More of a Clutterbuck type than Brodziak's "lunch pail" type.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:37 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Look who signed his ELC!

http://wild.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=619878

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Figure Coyle signing is big enough news for its own thread.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:14 PM
saywut

Glad he's signed, though its not like there was any concern he wouldn't Saint John looks poised for another Memorial Cup run, so if it turns out that way Coyle(and Phillips) won't be joining the Aeros this season. Certainly has a chance to make our roster next season though.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:34 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Excellent, just need to get Granlund and Zucker signed though Fletch is leaving both to the last minute especially Granlund.

Glad to have Coyle on board. AHL should be interesting to watch over the next year or two to see how these guys mesh as they're all coming on board at once.

Any news on the cap hit?

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Glad to have Coyle on board. AHL should be interesting to watch over the next year or two to see how these guys mesh as they're all coming on board at once.
The Aeros will be more interesting to watch than the Wild.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:44 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
The Aeros will be more interesting to watch than the Wild.
Yeah the spring Calder Cup run is going to keep me interested in hockey for a while. It's more fun watching the prospects grow than the Wild right now, hopefully next year and Fletch re-vamps the team yet again through FA we can actually get a competitive team. Sooner or later all these re-vamps have to work.

ShutDownDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:08 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Excellent, just need to get Granlund and Zucker signed though Fletch is leaving both to the last minute especially Granlund.

Any news on the cap hit?
Undisclosed but Phillips, who was picked in the same draft spot in 2011 that Coyle was in 2010, received $832,500 in salary and a $92,500 bonus. Would have to assume it's somewhere around there.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

This is good news, only waiting for Larsson, Zucker, Brodin and FBJ and we're set! Looking good and i'm looking forward to Aeros next season and.. well not so much Wild.. :haha:

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:12 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawnisen View Post
This is good news, only waiting for Larsson, Zucker, Brodin and FBJ and we're set! Looking good and i'm looking forward to Aeros next season and.. well not so much Wild.. :haha:
Larsson and Brodin are both signed to ELCs.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

This is great news.

Now we just have to wait until Granlund signs and were set.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote