Notices

Oduya to Chicago for 2013 2nd and 3rd

Old
03-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
The only ones capable of playing top 4 minutes in your list is Enstrom, Bogosian and Byfuglien. Stuart has a great defensive game but will get torn apart if he were to play 19+ minutes per night. Same with Flood and all the other guys in St. Johns.

That's the point I was trying to make, I have no issues with what they got for Oduya as he was a pending UFA and on the way out. But what I'm trying to say is while they do have a surplus of defensemen, the difference between a top4 d-man and a #5 or #6 is big and this team will struggle if one of them are placed into that position on a nightly basis.
I agree Lynk.

IMO I think people are confusing defensive depth (which I think we have), with solid defensemen in all positions.

We have defensive depth because we have a good number of NHL caliber defensemen. Enstrom, Buff, Bogosian, Hainsey, Stuart, Clitsome, Flood, and Jones.

But IMO, we really only have 3 top 4 capable defensemen. Guys that are able to play 20+ minutes a night, and against the Giroux's, Malkin's, etc, of the league. At this point it's Enstrom, Buff (sometimes), and Bogo. I'm not hating on Hainsey, I like him, but IMO he's kind of a tweener, he's a really good #5, but I get a little worried when he's out there 20+ minutes against the other teams best.

That leaves Stuart, Clitsome, Jones, and Flood for the 5-7 spots.

IMO, if there was a way to acquire a veteran, tough, stay at home defensive defenseman that could play as a #4, that would go a long way on this team. Enstrom could play with Bogo, which would allow Enstrom the freedom of not playing with Buff, and the new stay at home guy could play with Buff to cover for him. Then you have Hainsey and Stuart as a pretty elite 3rd pair, with Clitsome as the alternate.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 08:37 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
I didnt realize how many UFA / RFA we have at the end of the season id assume we will spend most of our money in the offseason resigning key players longterm

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
I didnt realize how many UFA / RFA we have at the end of the season id assume we will spend most of our money in the offseason resigning key players longterm
Only two real RFAs to worry about though - Kane and Pavelec. But being RFAs we should almost certainly be able to sign them. I don't think Kane even has arbitration rights coming off of his entry-level deal.

Of the UFAs though they are all role-players. Glass, Slater, Mason, Stapleton... Glass and Slater have probably played themselves into a raise, but nobody is going to offer these kind of players mega-bucks to sign elsewhere.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 09:04 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Only two real RFAs to worry about though - Kane and Pavelec. But being RFAs we should almost certainly be able to sign them. I don't think Kane even has arbitration rights coming off of his entry-level deal.

Of the UFAs though they are all role-players. Glass, Slater, Mason, Stapleton... Glass and Slater have probably played themselves into a raise, but nobody is going to offer these kind of players mega-bucks to sign elsewhere.
You are correct Kane doesnt have Arb rights
Pavs does

I wouldnt mind seeing all the UFA's you have listed resigned as well.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
You are correct Kane doesnt have Arb rights
Pavs does

I wouldnt mind seeing all the UFA's you have listed resigned as well.
Me too. There are other UFAs coming up that I wouldn't mind seeing walk (*cough* Jones, Fehr), but I think we could re-sign the players I mentioned without breaking the bank.

Yes, I know Fehr would be a RFA, but same principle.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Are you saying we should release Hainsey from his contract?

Seriously, I'd say keep our top 4 intact atleast another season. By then it may not be so far fetched to believe that one of the guys in St. Johns is able to handle top 4 assignments. If there is one thing we actually do have, it's depth on D right now. Btw, if what I hear is correct and Postma is actually showing signs of improving his defense, wouldn't it be sweet to have 3 d-men in the top 4 that was drafted after pick 200?
Yes we definitely need to keep our top 4 intact and possibly get a hybrid 4 or 5 type.

the problem is our top 4 look solid on paper but you have to factor in injuries. I know this year has been bad for us but between "The Haines" (24), Toby (20), Dusty Buff (16), and Zachy Goj (12) our top 4 have missed 72 man games so far. "Translation": we have a rotating top 3 so far this year. Throw in that Bad Buff has played 20 plus games this year where he is nowhere near a top 4 type defensively and I think it shows how important it is to have depth on D.

If I was to prioritize in this off season I would say we need a serious upgrade to our 3rd line so that on paper we could get 100 plus points and some sandpaper and quality depth at D.

my line up would look like

Ladd-Kane Little Wheels
Ladd-Kane Burmi (David Clarkson prototype)
Antro Scheifele* Wellwood
GST
Stapler (ok so I have a blind spot )

Toby Buff
"The Hains" Bogo
FA
Clitsome Stuart
Kulda Postma

Pavs
Mason

*If Scheifele is not ready then I would not rule out using one from the best of Cormier, Klingberg, or Machack but only if one of them kicked the door down in camp and preseason short of that I would stock this line with a complementary piece out of the free agent market place (or trade) but my 2nd and 3rd lines on this model would be interchangeable and end with similar point totals at the end of the year by design.

In a perfect world Scheif would be ready but if not it would be great if Cormier could fill the roll and then with My Clarkson prototype on the 2nd line we would become a more physical and nasty team. My only concern would be Cormier's lack of offensive finish. Either Way Schief would probably be in that roll in 2013.

my lower priority is the hybrid 4th 5th D man..........my hopes are that next year our top 4 are healthier....in that case we could push Stuart or Klitsome up to fill in on the top 4 when needed roll guys up from the bottom to cover the 5-6 pairing.

either way we might need only one new piece of the puzzle if Scheif and or a prospect pans out but for my money its all about having two legit 2nd lines or at least a high end 3rd line next season.

Last edited by ps241: 03-01-2012 at 12:18 PM.
ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote