HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Hawks | Leafs lose 5-4

Old
03-01-2012, 10:59 AM
mooseOAK*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Same **** happened when we played at home. What was the excuse then?
What game are you referring to and who was out against who?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Sergei Berezin

Can't believe people are getting this ridiculous with Phaneuf... ya he's made some mistakes, but who hasn't? Can't believe all the blame is being put on him. He's one of the guys who actually plays every shift as hard as he can... problem is that he gets play wayyyy too much, and can't play as hard...

Also, to those questioning his captaining abilities... it's not like Sundin's regime didn't have horribly long losing streaks like these post-lockout. I don't get what you want out of Dion; it's not like he can control the game plan, or the system in place, or how much heart each player has...

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
Can't believe people are getting this ridiculous with Phaneuf... ya he's made some mistakes, but who hasn't? Can't believe all the blame is being put on him. He's one of the guys who actually plays every shift as hard as he can... problem is that he gets play wayyyy too much, and can't play as hard...

Also, to those questioning his captaining abilities... it's not like Sundin's regime didn't have horribly long losing streaks like these post-lockout. I don't get what you want out of Dion; it's not like he can control the game plan, or the system in place, or how much heart each player has...
I agree. Playing him 30 minutes per game through the start of the season was incredibly short-sighted.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:

I don't think people really remember the sundin era leafs very well. They were a very frustrating team to watch, quite often.

Short term memory is all leafs nation possesses.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:

He really doesnt...to me he just looks like a guy that floats around. He is just too casual out there..and the only defensive move he's used is trying to unsuccessful poke the puck out of the blue line.

-

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
What game are you referring to and who was out against who?
Happens constantly. Our lines ate mismatched half the time,even at home. That's coaches job.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
He really doesnt...to me he just looks like a guy that floats around. He is just too casual out there..and the only defensive move he's used is trying to unsuccessful poke the puck out of the blue line.

-
Completely disagree... he gives a **** out there.

My only beef with Phaneuf is around his shooting (both selection, and accuracy), but I think it's him trying too hard to help right the ship.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:25 AM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
First 2 Chicago goals were all Gardiner. That was some of the weakest board work I've ever seen. Some players showed up to play last night. Gardiner wasn't one of them.
but Gards knows that we are tanking and were helping us

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I think that you are a little confused about who had the last change.
The kids listen too much to the commentators instead of understanding for themselves what's going on.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
whitera

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
but Gards knows that we are tanking and were helping us
haha every leaf player can use this excuse.

whitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:49 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

-
Agreed, can't stand Phaneuf's apathetic play.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Agreed, can't stand Phaneuf's apathetic play.
but people let Gardiner get away with the same thing? He has alot of skill but he still needs alot of work on the defensive side.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:04 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
but people let Gardiner get away with the same thing? He has alot of skill but he still needs alot of work on the defensive side.
Gardiner is a rookie, Phaneuf isn't

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
Gardiner is a rookie, Phaneuf isn't
This. I didn't bring up Gardiner, not sure why you did. Is Gardiner the captain of a sinking ship? Is a 21 year old rookie responsible for ensuring his teammates learn through doing?

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

We talkin' bout practice?

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
bleeney

Phaneuf looks burned out. The guy has played a ton of hockey this year, and he does all the heavy lifting. He's out there night after night against the top lines, is on the first PK unit, as well as the powerplay. And he plays a physical game, so those are tough minutes he's eating up. I imagine he's banged up and playing through all sorts of injuries.

That's not an excuse; he really hasn't looked sharp over the last two weeks or so and needs to play better. But the guy's only human, and there's just so much juice in the can.

It shows how important he is to this team. So much hinges on him. When he doesn't play well, we just fall apart.

Wilson (oops, I mean whoever is our coach next year) should pace him a little more. If we're up by 3 goals heading into the 3rd, there's no need to have him play 23+ minutes. Give the ice time to Gardiner/Schenn.

bleeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Destroyer100

Schenn had a really good game, he was hitting everything in sight and got into a fight. Hopefully he plays like that more often now.

Destroyer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer100 View Post
Schenn had a really good game, he was hitting everything in sight and got into a fight. Hopefully he plays like that more often now.
He's been doing that all year. He is leading the league in hits for a reason among defensemen.

Schennanigans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeney View Post
Phaneuf looks burned out. The guy has played a ton of hockey this year, and he does all the heavy lifting. He's out there night after night against the top lines, is on the first PK unit, as well as the powerplay. And he plays a physical game, so those are tough minutes he's eating up. I imagine he's banged up and playing through all sorts of injuries.

That's not an excuse; he really hasn't looked sharp over the last two weeks or so and needs to play better. But the guy's only human, and there's just so much juice in the can.

It shows how important he is to this team. So much hinges on him. When he doesn't play well, we just fall apart.

Wilson (oops, I mean whoever is our coach next year) should pace him a little more. If we're up by 3 goals heading into the 3rd, there's no need to have him play 23+ minutes. Give the ice time to Gardiner/Schenn.
I tend to agree.

Phaneuf in the first 15 games or so was playing amazing. He had his normal offence, hard with the puck, and wasnt getting caught flat footed

I dont think hes playing bad for lack of desire -- he hits, tries to get open to create offence, and you can never criticize him for being too soft on a pass. I do think though he could still do a little more, especially as captain

One thing is clear is that we have to pace him. That will only happen if we can get more out of Liles and Schenn. Schenn averaged 22 minutes last year, but hasnt shown the ability to do that this year... hopefully he works on his footspeed in the offseason. And Liles on some nights is key, but on others he is just mediorce

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote