HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#63|Mar. 1, 2012|Islanders at Flyers|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
03-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Krishna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Kimmo Timonen needs to register one point for 500 in his career. Hopefully it comes tonight
You just jinxed him!

in b4 shutout

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

it be funny if he gets a point and then we get shutout lol

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
flyersfan420

win... we need points and 2 of them!

flyersfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
drownedsailors

WTF? The Islanders again?

Is it just me or does it feel like we're always playing these guys?

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:44 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Kimmo Timonen needs to register one point for 500 in his career. Hopefully it comes tonight
JVR needs one too to reach 100

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
This was one of my complaints earlier in the year when Bryz and Bob were constantly flip flopped
Goaltenders needing consecutive starts is a myth.

And someone wrote about it.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-url-win-today

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:04 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post

And someone wrote about it.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-url-win-today
Goalies need confidence though and neither one has it. Bryz has been showing flashes lately

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
JVR needs one too to reach 100
Kimmo to JVR for both records.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Perfect opponent at the right time. Isles are a hard working team with little depth. Their speed and tenacious forecheck is a great test for our new pairings and (hopefully) defensive scheme. They've had a few practices now and I expect to see something different tonight.

I take the new pairings as an encouraging sign going forward. This team cannot win or advance in the playoffs without a return to accountability and a commitment to team "D"

I've been watching last year's Coyotes Games, starting with their sweep by Detroit and I'm convinced Bryzgalov can turn it around. In the games where Jovo and co. actually showed up and cleared the net, Bryz looks focused and calm back there and clearly capable of being an elite netminder.

With 20 games to go, Flyers have time to tighten up the back-end and Ilya has time to turn it around. This team can still be beasts come April.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:15 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

is it me or did that road trip, screw our scoring. we havent done crap in like 2 games

PHILOUDELPHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Goalies need confidence though and neither one has it. Bryz has been showing flashes lately
I'm not sure there is any real content in what you said besides stringing some vague words together. The graphs are straightforward. That being said, I always hope Bryz has a great game.

Simply no need to continue a myth.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:28 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
if by flashes you mean only letting in 1 or 2 bad goals, then i agree

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
BUNK.

happening to get consecutive starts is completely different from the team saying: "You are playing every game. period." then, not pulling you.

the confidence comes from the knowledge that you are playing the next game, regardless, not the mere act of playing games consecutively .

any goalie will tell you this, and there is no graph for mental confidence

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:36 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
BUNK.

happening to get consecutive starts is completely different from the team saying: "You are playing every game. period." then, not pulling you.

the confidence comes from the knowledge that you are playing the next game, regardless, not the mere act of playing games consecutively .

any goalie will tell you this, and there is no graph for mental confidence
exactly

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
mirimon

We'll win this one, 4-2, goals from Brière, Read, Couturier and Jagr.

I hope we won't see Coburn-Carle as a pairinġ. Didn't we establish long ago that that simply doesn't work? Meszaros-Coburn and Grossman-Carle might be an idea, allow Meszaros and Carle to roam a bit freer.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
I'm not sure there is any real content in what you said besides stringing some vague words together. The graphs are straightforward. That being said, I always hope Bryz has a great game.

Simply no need to continue a myth.
What myth. its true. he's been playing ALOT better since being trusted with these consecutive starts. I know you would probably like to go over every goal scored on us in the calgary game but i only think one of those was suspect and we WON that game btw. He played meh against winnipeg but a win, great against edmonton, fair and got better as the game went on against the flames and phenomenal against the sharks. To have flipped goalies as much as we did to start this season after we made our bed by signing him and paying him what we did was ridiculous. Why would we send a message that it was a goalie competition between him and bob after making a signing like that? stupid. It made what was already going to be a rough transition to a top market rougher. I think he's been great and is adjusting pretty well. most would disagree but that's because they have patience the size of a napkin. Now that i think about it i might be responding wrong to your post. I think i agree with you. I might be wrong. now I'm just confused. help

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I'm so glad to have 7pm start times again.
1 am for me, but well afternoon shifts allows me to watch these games

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
BUNK.happening to get consecutive starts is completely different from the team saying: "You are playing every game. period." then, not pulling you.
I don't even know what you're responding too. The myth is that a goaltender getting consecutive starts puts him into some type of "groove" that allows him to play better.

The reality: That groove isn't seen in the empirical data. There is no jump in the stats from playing consistently. Goaltenders tend not to change radically, even from game to game. They tend to be exactly what they are. All year.

Another myth: Seeing a lot of shots makes them play better. Also been debunked. Yet, tons of goaltenders will claim this is true.

Quote:
the confidence comes from the knowledge that you are playing the next game, regardless, not the mere act of playing games consecutively any goalie will tell you this, and there is no graph for mental confidence
Players believe a lot of bogus things, especially about their performance. Instead of relying upon the facts, you would rather rely upon the opinion of people who seriously won't change socks they believe they have a goal streak from. lulz.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Well, let's hope that March is better than the whirling ball of **** that was February.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2573
The Flyers-Penguins' game March 18 has been changed to 12:30 p.m. from 3:00 p.m. due to an NBC TV broadcast.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Thank Christ for that.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 200
Let's see some fights and goals for us please.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:01 PM
PJStock*

I would like to see Staios and Rinaldo go at it.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:07 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
I don't even know what you're responding too. The myth is that a goaltender getting consecutive starts puts him into some type of "groove" that allows him to play better.

The reality: That groove isn't seen in the empirical data. There is no jump in the stats from playing consistently. Goaltenders tend not to change radically, even from game to game. They tend to be exactly what they are. All year.

Another myth: Seeing a lot of shots makes them play better. Also been debunked. Yet, tons of goaltenders will claim this is true.

Players believe a lot of bogus things, especially about their performance. Instead of relying upon the facts, you would rather rely upon the opinion of people who seriously won't change socks they believe they have a goal streak from. lulz.
how can you DEBUNK a myth? . it all boils down to individual comfort levels that can't be proven by research. its just opinions. I believe the technical term mostly used is intangibles. I can see how a lot of shots can make a goalie more comfortable. Just like the more games you play can help increase confidence. I don't think this is myth, its common sense. The more your put in the spotlight to perform the more it becomes second nature the more comfortable you become. its not that hard to follow.....p.s what the hell does debunk mean? I've never used that word, ever

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
ORYX

Quote:

If you can't see it in his game, then sorry. While we are saying multiple starts in a row, can help a goalie's confidence, get in a groove doesnt mean we are saying you will be able to see a noticable difference in statistics. Thats the problem with stats, they don't tell the whole story.

Why not just award the Stanley Cup to the team with the best stats? Doesnt work like that, and neither do the stats you are presenting.

Also, what part of confidence don't you get? I don't know any player that wears socks 3 games etc in a row because they believe the socks make them play better, but because its routine, and not following routine puts they're mind off, because they feel lucky, also a mental state. Both can not be quantified into statistics, so how can you show stats against that?

And you are wrong to say goalies who like more shots are wrong to say that. They feel involved in the game, follow the play better etc, again a mental state of mind, a confidence.

Your use of stats is rather pathetic, and you are showing that you have A) a very limited knowledge of hockey outside of paper B) have never played the game, C) don't understand the culture within the game, behind the locker room doors.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-01-2012 at 05:18 PM.
ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote