Old
03-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
The teams "future" is more than fine....koivu and teemu are a
packaged deal like the neids bros. U want one but not the other....but if it means I get to watch teemu play again so be it, if he wants to wait till the first game of the year to decide to come back, so be it , teemu can do whatever the hell he wants. Management iced a budget team good enough to make the playoffs this year, so it's on the players... And when the dust settles and after we officially get eliminated people are going to point at this, not the 2nd line.

Getzlaf 8 goals

U must be a youngster d-studd maybe around 18-21... Only way I can justify u ridding teemu all year...
Thanks for ignoring everything I said. Let's break down your flawed post one subject at a time.

-Koivu was re-signed before Teemu. I don't understand what you're getting at there. I've always been in favor of re-signing Koivu for 3rd line even if Selanne didn't return. Don't get you even mentioning that at all.

-No one said Teemu couldn't wait until the 1st game. I respect him not wanting to rush his decision. I've never said otherwise, even when others have. What I don't respect is Murray putting EVERYTHING on hold until he does decide. You can't build a team, especially a young one, around a player who might or might not play. You go on as if he won't, and you fit him in if he decides to come back. As mentioned earlier, Selanne isn't playing for financial reasons anymore, he's said that himself. Also, HS isn't stupid enough not to go over budget to retain the icon of the franchise if Selanne wanted more then what was left.

-Yes, that's what most people will look at, and it's a valid point. However those that have watched his play know that he's been playing better then his numbers show. It doesn't excuse the poor numbers, but basing opinons on stats is assinine. I could also say that anyone who's watched the Ducks the past few years knows that the 1st line is pretty much the entire reason for their success, and that depth on the 2nd and 3rd lines has been an issue for a while now.

- Not far enough on the age. 25.

-I've not commented on Teemu on anything I haven't seen. I call it like I see it, regardless of past success. I've been more vocal since Pelley trade because I've been able to watch all games since (2 or 3 exceptions). I've ridden every player I've thought has played poorly. Yes, I get irritated at people saying "he leads the team in points" when I mention his poor play. I think his play has been very overrated this year. I see a player who is not being dangerous aside from in space. He's fumbling pucks on a consistent basis, easily the most succeptable player to turnovers, and a mess along the boards. That said, I've given him credit when it's due. He's been horrible at ES lately IMO. There's been a few exceptions, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Girgenburger

This was an awesome game to watch and I thought the Ducks played a sick 3rd period.

I don't think Buffalo or the Ducks are going to make the playoffs though. We both pretty much have the same amount of ground to make up...and I could tell this loss really stung for you guys which is a feeling all too familiar as a Sabres fan.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Miller wasnt nearly as good as his stats would suggest. The Ducks lack of finish is simply amazing. Im pretty sure our entire game plan is just jam the puck into the goalie and hope something good happens. How about, oh idk, actually thinking of a way to score instead of mindless low % plays. Beyond frustrating.

Perfect example Koivu alone in front. I dont even think Miller moved his leg on that play. He was clearly beat but again the puck is shot low like every Ducks shot.
Good point. This is very similar to what I said after losing to Tampa. Although Miller was pretty good, but it's the Ducks lack of finish that is more of the problem. How hard is it to realize you can't beat a goalie down low.

Frustrating part on that play is that if he feeds it to Perry, who is right next to him, it's an easy goal.

Old
03-01-2012, 01:45 AM
DaDucks

vCash: 50
I thought signing koivu was a big reason for teemu's return so that's what I was getting at....

What do u mean by putting "everything" on hold? We are on a budget and we can't afford the big names. I think we have a good veteran/youth ratio..with DSP and bonino getting a great opportunity to show their possible worth for the future

Last edited by DaDucks: 03-01-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old
03-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
I thought signing koivu was a big reason for teemu's return so that's what I was getting at....

What do u mean by putting "everything" on hold?
I've been in favor of retaining Koivu even after Selanne retires for a while now, obviously depending on demands. IMO he's a perfect 3rd line center.

As for the bolded part:

Murray has stated on several occasions that he had a "plan B" in case Teemu decided to retire. So what happens is that Murray does nothing to our 2nd line and just waits on Teemu to decide to return or not. This means that not only does he lose out on signing potential UFAs but he ignores the trade possibilities during the draft (most likely time for teams to make a big deal for core player). Basically, everything is on hold in terms of 2nd line until Teemu makes his decision.

IMO what he should do is go on as if he won't come back. IMO, you build the 2nd line around Ryan, and the best way to do that is to target a top 2nd line center. It could be through trade or FA, I don't care. Being a budget team doesn't offer the luxury of having high priced players in all positions, so IMO you put the money in the most important spots. Center is one of them. I'm personally not in favor of trading Ryan because I believe you give up the young assets (prospects/picks) to get someone to play with him, not replace him. By just adding one big piece to that 2nd line, it does wonders for the team for the future and present IMO. What do championship teams have these days? Depth. Yes being a budget team makes that difficult, but the core being signed cheap right now makes it more possible IMO. If Selanne returns, and having another star player would increase increase that likelihood IMO, you give him what you can, although it may not be as much (fitting him in). You've then got 3 solid pairs to build around:

Getz-Perry
FA/trade-Ryan
Koivu-Selanne

You then find the right complimentary players to play with each pair. By assuming Selanne will return (and building 2nd line around him again) you not only miss out on the chance for a 2nd line center, but our 3rd becomes a mix of young players who may or may not work out. (worked out this year, but not last year).

Old
03-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Well, nobody else stepped up. I guessed the other night Beleskey would try but he's just not big enough. I'll admit DSP looked good in the 1st but I think he faded pretty much after that.

I hope Dirk is paying attention to this the next time he gives me crap about only liking soft play
just catching up on this thread lol

Old
03-01-2012, 03:39 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
No, actually not. If that's Murray's plan, then he's successfully ignored his young core players' bargain contracts for a prospect that might or might not work out. Murray went on and on about trading Pronger to get assets to get someone else who could be a core piece, he's full of **** and accepts mediocrity.
Who was he going to add? We aren't an attractive market to free agents. The Kings have been chasing every single free agent, and they had the money to spend. How many did they land? Zero. They also spent the last few seasons looking to trade for a second line center. They caught a lucky break by having a piece like Schenn to snag Richards at just the right time. Without Philly purging their top six, they were going to have to do it with who they drafted. Sound familiar?

Old
03-01-2012, 04:46 AM
5minsforfighting

Finally good old Ducks at the end there. We have been lacking those emotions all season long. Shame that we lost the game, but at least we went down swinging.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Someone should have beaten Kaleta into a pulp during game. Diving skates first into Hiller should never be acceptable.

On a happier note, before Ducks went on a tear in Jan and Feb, they lost two in a row as well. Just sayin'...

Old
03-01-2012, 08:06 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Good to see that RPG was frustrated in the end. I hope that they are angry during next games.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:50 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Didn't think we played that bad, dominated it for large parts of the game....Miller probably has his best game of the season

Old
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Didn't think we played that bad, dominated it for large parts of the game....Miller probably has his best game of the season
Exactly. Pretty good 45 or more minutes of play, Miller, along with inability to finish their chances, killed them. I think fatigue is kicking in.

Although playoffs were long gone, even after that amazing run, whatever one might say I'm pretty pleased with players giving it all, not giving up and playing as tight defence as possible. Realistically, considering the way this team is constructed, they played above their heads for the most part during Jan and Feb.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

I wouldn't count on it.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Count on what?

Old
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
Count on what?
Making the playoffs.... Start looking towards the draft fellas

Old
03-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

I stopped counting on playoffs long time ago.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
Count on what?
Sorry, forgot to quote JabbaJabba.

I wouldn't count on them remaining angry.

Closed Thread