HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington's 1st round pick (12th or 13th) + Prospect Galiev to Montreal

Old
03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Because we have DD, Plekanec and Eller. All 3 do the same thing. We lack a true #1 center. The only way we upgrade one of those guys is trading the one with the highest value - Plekanec. We like Plekanec but we also know we need to address the center ice position. Unfortunately, at his age and our youth movement, he's the ideal candidate.
I am going to predict this at the time, keep it close for next year. Habs will have either Eller or DD up for trade in february 2013, either or both depending their awesomely underexpectation performance. Two years ago, Plekanec was a god, today he's a must-trade guy (you need one in Montreal at every given moment...and now that AK is gone, guess who's next).

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
I am going to predict this at the time, keep it close for next year. Habs will have either Eller or DD up for trade in february 2013, either or both depending their awesomely underexpectation performance. Two years ago, Plekanec was a god, today he's a must-trade guy (you need one in Montreal at every given moment...and now that AK is gone, guess who's next).
We're not saying trade him because he sucks, we're saying because we need an upgrade and he holds the most value.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm still trying to figure out whether the fundamental assumption that he holds significant value is correct. He's sputtered a bit this year, and he's owed a lot of money on a long contract. I don't know what sort of interest would emerge if he were on the market. I have no doubt they could find a taker, but for what return?

Habs fans rave about his intangibles, and while I do think there is something to that, one rather has to say that given that his quantifiable production is down. What sort of return would he garner? I have to say, I'm unsure.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Halifaxhab*

I don't see Plakanec getting traded. But if he did. Pleks + NSH 2012 2nd for 12th + Galiev would be a viable trade.

Galiev is a solid prospect. But he is just a prospect after all and Pleks offers washington a way to fill one of their most glaring needs at a reasonable cap hit

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:43 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Nothing is wrong with him, but the problem with the team is that he might be not needed soon. Eller could be used in that shut down role and be the 3rd line center, DD would be the 2nd line center. This summer they would need to find a true #1 center.
Didnt Gainey trade for him last summer... Oh wait, thats a 4th line he traded for

But honnestly Grigorenko could become a true no.1 center if there's not to much pressure put on that kid

alpine4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out whether the fundamental assumption that he holds significant value is correct. He's sputtered a bit this year, and he's owed a lot of money on a long contract. I don't know what sort of interest would emerge if he were on the market. I have no doubt they could find a taker, but for what return?

Habs fans rave about his intangibles, and while I do think there is something to that, one rather has to say that given that his quantifiable production is down. What sort of return would he garner? I have to say, I'm unsure.
His offensive numbers are down because of the revolving door of wingers he's dealt with, most of which were at best 3rd liners. His +/- is down, but so is everyones (with the exception of the top line). His value is in what he offers a team as a 2nd line C

Old
03-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

...at $5M a year for multiple years. As I say, everyone likely acknowledges that he's a good player, and salary inflation is a reality in the game today. I don't know. Could go either way. I'm just not certain that the return would be justify the hole he would create on that Montreal roster.

They would absolutely need to know that they have their replacement lined up before dealing him, and while you can have simultaneous negotiations, I gather that Habs fans suggest taking the assets they get from Plekanec and trading those for his replacement. You would almost need to have a three-way negotiation, and those are invariably complicated.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
HabsFan76

If Plekanec is to ever be traded, it will be for a proven top 6 forward, not a potential top 6 forward that will acquired through the draft. Why make our team worse off by trading our best center? If Eller and DD struggle next year, the amount of pressure on Grigorenko to produce (if we get him) will be too much for him to handle. Keep Plekanec, draft Grigorenko, and shelter him with 3rd line duties next season. End of story.

HabsFan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Ginu

Quote:
...at $5M a year for multiple years. As I say, everyone likely acknowledges that he's a good player, and salary inflation is a reality in the game today. I don't know. Could go either way. I'm just not certain that the return would be justify the hole he would create on that Montreal roster.

They would absolutely need to know that they have their replacement lined up before dealing him, and while you can have simultaneous negotiations, I gather that Habs fans suggest taking the assets they get from Plekanec and trading those for his replacement. You would almost need to have a three-way negotiation, and those are invariably complicated.
I'd leave that hole. Use Desharnais and Eller as your top 2 centers next year and go with youth. By the draft next year, we'll be ready for 2013-2014 and get another great draft pick. We'll be calling up our new franchise center, and a bunch of other players including Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

He is only traded if DD and Eller continue their progression (DD defensively, and Eller offensively) and the top 3 pick made this summer is a Centre who shows he is capable of being a top 6 Centre.

At that point you'd have 4 top 6 centres on the team. Moving the most established one to make room for the others helps the team build around them.

But, if even one of those things doesn't come true, then his being traded is not likely to happen

Old
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Carlzner

No thanks.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
BobRouse

Good player. Would fill a need.

but

His contract is too long and think the Caps would like someone with more size.

Wouldn't give up 2 good young assets AND absorb that contract personally.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

but

What would it take to make it happen? So far we have Plekanec + Nashville's 2nd in 2012 for Galiev + 12th overall.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Come on...if Hemsky signs for $5m per, there would be plenty of takers on Plekanec at a decent return. Probably a young NHL ready forward and a 1st, maybe another middle prospect.

As for the trade, this just makes Montreal worse for the forseeable future. These young guys won't make them winners quickly and I can't see Montreal standing for that kind of teardown/rebuild. For whatever reason he's not all that attractive to Caps fans even though we're desperate for C help. Maybe we see a little Fleischman in him or something and shudder, or maybe it's the Jagr jokes. The turtleneck certainly rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

but

Too long how and why? Is it too long if Semin is gone?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:26 PM
WestIslander

I would make a pitch for both of Washington's 1st round draft picks and draft Grigorenko, Faska and Gaunce

To Montreal: 1st round draft pick in 2012 + 1st round draft pick in 2012
To Washington: Tomas Plekanec + 2nd round draft pick in 2013

Future depth at centre:

Desharnais
Eller
Leblanc
Grigorenko
Gaunce
Faska

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I would make a pitch for both of Washington's 1st round draft picks and draft Grigorenko, Faska and Gaunce

To Montreal: 1st round draft pick in 2012 + 1st round draft pick in 2012
To Washington: Tomas Plekanec + 2nd round draft pick in 2013

Future depth at centre:

Desharnais
Eller
Leblanc
Grigorenko
Gaunce
Faska
They won't do that. At least Galiev is a 3rd round pick.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
What would it take to make it happen? So far we have Plekanec + Nashville's 2nd in 2012 for Galiev + 12th overall.
Well I don't know what GMGM thinks but if you are asking ME to put on my GM shoes..well from my armchair personally I wouldn't want him. He's just not the kind of center I think would be IDEAL for the Caps. I would prefer a bigger more physical center. But if you put a gun to my head and said I have to make a trade the one mentioned above is close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Too long how and why? Is it too long if Semin is gone?
I want to keep Semin. If he should leave I would like to use that $$ to sign/trade for a more rugged forward. Thats just me tho.

Plekanec is a good hockey player. I just don't think the fit is right with the Caps.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:58 PM
GeneralManager*

Quote:
Why is every Habs fan under the sun trying to trade Plekanec? It's been incessant for two to three months.
because they like trading/removing their players when their values are at their lowest and then complain like a baby when said player becomes a star/significant contributor on a different team while they have nothing.

see:
ribeiro, mike
kostitsyn, sergei
grabovski, mikhail
latendresse, guillaume

etc....

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan419 View Post
I would say Galiev and the 12th or 13th overall pick for Plekanec and Montreal's first pick in 2013 would get it done.

Wouldn't want to pull a Toronto and deal away a potential top 5 pick.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:20 PM
NeilYoung

Little bit of a risk but I'd do

Caps 1st, Galiev

for

Plek

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post

Caps 1st, Galiev

for

Plek
I guess we're close because we have Pleks + Nashville's 2nd round in 2012 for the Capitals' 12th overall + Galiev. It seems like it's fair value.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

Caps 1st, Galiev

for

Plek
This is what I figured his value would be. A 12-17 1st and a good prospect (not a can't miss, but still good)

Old
03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
ginovegas

Trading Plekanek only makes sense

There is no way Habs could trade Desharnais without the Bell Center blowing up
and Eller has shown he can fill the 3rd line center spot and be a key player on the PK, he is our only center with size and comes cheap for now

If we gotta get bigger at the center position the only guy that can be moved is Pleks.

Up to a month ago I was for trading Desharnais and keepin gPleks. We can't have both.
But Desharnais has shown he can definately take care of the 2C spot

No matter where the Habs land they will have a crack at a Centerman with size, wether it be Grigorenko or Galchenyuk

lets not kid ourself Habs aren't a season away from contending and by the time they are Plek won't be as effective and won't have the value he has today

Come trade deadline next season the next runner up will probably be Cole if the offers are right.

not because I don't like these guy but because they are the guys that can get us something decent back in return

If these guys are not part of the future might as well get the most for them when their value is at its highest

Last edited by ginovegas: 03-01-2012 at 10:37 PM.
ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Quote:

Caps 1st, Galiev

for

Plek
This is the closest to real value for Pleks here. Even then, I'd still be hesitant. If Washington really wants Pleks (he could fit pretty well there IMHO), I'd try to poach Kuznetsov out.
Something like:

Plekanec + Avtsin/Kristo

for

Kuznetsov + 2013 1st

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote