HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Fail is ON! (the 2012 draft thread)

Old
12-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Chicago Made Punk
\-|Stay Alive|-/

vCash: 500
Gonna speculate on what you meant.

-on a shipload of talent

-on a shoestring budget

-on a shining record of consistency

Last edited by Chicago Made Punk: 12-20-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:36 AM
MD
#woofwoof

From everything i have seen in video and what scouts are saying about these two guys, Grigorenko is drawing Malkin comparisons and Yakupov is drawing Ovechkin comparisons. If we got to add one two our team i would pick Malkin 10 out of 10 times.

That would give us Staal, Grigorenko, Sutter as our top 3 centers which is some serious depth down the middle. If you look at most of the successful teams, they all have depth at center, and i think this is the most proven way to win.

In my opinion it would be easier to find a few competent wingers to complement our centers then it would be to find another elite center. This would give us that 1-2 punch as an offensive threat and let sutter come in as a great 3rd line center.

Yes it would be nice to have Yakupov on our team but i just think it is much more important to have multiple 'elite' centers.

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Central just released their midterm rankings:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610982

interesting to see Faksa jumping up so much from the initial rankings, especially coming off a WJC where he was either injured or sick. But hmmm, another Kitchener player right in our draft wheelhouse ranking wise? Don't mind if we do.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

interesting to see Faksa jumping up so much from the initial rankings, especially coming off a WJC where he was either injured or sick. But hmmm, another Kitchener player right in our draft wheelhouse ranking wise? Don't mind if we do.
Agreed on Faksa. Another player that I've taken an interest to is Matthew Dumba. He's risen a tremendous amount to be considered by some to be the top Dman in the draft, and although I haven't seen him play, everything I've read (indirectly) points to a positive comparison to Dion Phaneuf. Although he wouldn't fill a Canes need as much as Faksa would, he's definitely someone I wouldn't mind drafting...

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
TheBigKahuna

The Canes aren't going to draft in the top 3. And I honestly hope they aren't tempted to take someone like Dumba if he's still on the board. I just don't see how this kid's game translates to the NHL. And, he's way too small to play like that with the big boys.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

Would love to add another big center. We need to get stronger down the middle.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Borsig

How could the mock drafts ever place us in 11th? That emans we'd do terrible in the lottery AND finish worse than last year?

Are you kidding me? Thats not even remotely possible.

I say we finish 28-29th this year. And whats with Boston going 2nd? Is that an avs pick or something?

Im lost on how they figure us to pick 11th.

Borsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Borsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
The Canes aren't going to draft in the top 3. And I honestly hope they aren't tempted to take someone like Dumba if he's still on the board. I just don't see how this kid's game translates to the NHL. And, he's way too small to play like that with the big boys.
what makes you say this?

Borsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 03:42 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
How could the mock drafts ever place us in 11th? That emans we'd do terrible in the lottery AND finish worse than last year?

Are you kidding me? Thats not even remotely possible.

I say we finish 28-29th this year. And whats with Boston going 2nd? Is that an avs pick or something?

Im lost on how they figure us to pick 11th.
Similarly how do they figure Anaheim to pick 14th, Edmonton to pick 24th, while the Rangers pick 6th?

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Pretty sure that those mocks were from when the initial rankings came out early in the season, when Boston hadn't yet woken up and we were still flirting with not being completely terrible.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I expect we'll finish anywhere from 3-7, but I suspect #5 (unless affected by the lottery).

I can see us staying ahead of Anaheim and Columbus and passing Edmonton and the Islanders. But that's about it. In the east, I just cant' see us passing Montreal, Tampa or Buffalo. In the West, Calgary already has a 10 point lead on us.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I expect we'll finish anywhere from 3-7, but I suspect #5 (unless affected by the lottery).

I can see us staying ahead of Anaheim and Columbus and passing Edmonton and the Islanders. But that's about it. In the east, I just cant' see us passing Montreal, Tampa or Buffalo. In the West, Calgary already has a 10 point lead on us.
I'm feeling top three. Anaheim is starting to figure it out, and they have played three fewer games than we have. The only team that's clearly worse than us is Columbus and I don't see us getting any better anytime soon.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
TheBigKahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
what makes you say this?

Name a defenseman who is 5-11" and 165 pounds and make a living being a tough physical defenseman.

There's aren't many! Is he a skilled/scoring d-man or a tough guy who hits people? Those hits, especially the open ice hits, will get him clobbered or suspended in THIS nhl. He's 3 years and 40 pounds away from playing in the NHL. Just my opinion. I think there are better safer options in the top 5-10 picks.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 11:31 PM
MD
#woofwoof

I still want Grigorenko

Old
01-24-2012, 08:27 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Looking through the prospect rankings, how about Max Iafrate as a potential second or third-round pick? I only say that because I noticed he has played for the Plymouth Whalers and the Kitchener Rangers the last two years which likely means our front office has seen alot of him. The last name probably won't hurt his chances either. Sounds like he isn't afraid to be physical and deliver big hits.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Looking through the prospect rankings, how about Max Iafrate as a potential second or third-round pick? I only say that because I noticed he has played for the Plymouth Whalers and the Kitchener Rangers the last two years which likely means our front office has seen alot of him. The last name probably won't hurt his chances either. Sounds like he isn't afraid to be physical and deliver big hits.
Last year, I essentially guaranteed we'd draft him. Between the hard-on JR had for his dad and his Plymouth roots, I'd say it's pretty much a certainty he's higher on our draft board than anybody else's.

Old
01-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

We have the Sharks 2nd rounder, correct? Maybe with that pick... Anywhere higher and I say no thanks, at least at this point.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
totalkev

Ryan Murphy is the OHL player of the week.

Old
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Hopeful he's back on track for good with that last week, boy what a performance!

Not sure how relevant it is to the 2012 NHL Draft discussion, but DEFINITELY worth talking about...

Old
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

I figured I'd go ahead and bump this thread back up near the top because it's getting closer to the end of the season.

Is it possible for Dave/somebody else to list off their personal rankings of the prospects as they stand now, so we could get a feel for what our options are? It's been another month and some prospects have risen/fallen, so it would be nice to get a good feeling as to what might be the logical draft order at this point.

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Boom Boom Anton

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=388658

Looks like Faksa continues to rise.

Interesting comments in this article about Sebastian Collberg.

Quote:
"He's a warrior," said one scout who thinks he is very close to fellow Swede Filip Forsberg in the rankings." An energy skill guy who can really dish the puck. You have to like his competitiveness."

Collberg has a knack for being around the puck, and has drawn parallels to Carolina's Jeff Skinner in that regard. Such comparisons will make it hard for teams to pass him up in the top ten.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:53 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
I figured I'd go ahead and bump this thread back up near the top because it's getting closer to the end of the season.

Is it possible for Dave/somebody else to list off their personal rankings of the prospects as they stand now, so we could get a feel for what our options are? It's been another month and some prospects have risen/fallen, so it would be nice to get a good feeling as to what might be the logical draft order at this point.
Better yet, what are the possibilities for a #7-8 pick. Which is exactly where we are going to end up. Not sure any impact forwards will be available at that time.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:53 PM
MD
#woofwoof

I know Galchenyuk hasn't played all season due to injury but i really think he would be able to fill that void we have at #2 center in a year or two. If he picks up right where he left off last year then i wouldn't doubt him making an NHL roster next year. Kid has some sick skills.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:59 PM
FlyingSquirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=388658

Looks like Faksa continues to rise.

Interesting comments in this article about Sebastian Collberg.
That would be great for us as we will likely pick after Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Yakupov & Grigorenko are already gone. I've seen Faksa lurking around the top 10, but first time I've seen Collberg that high.

Faksa seems like a JR dude: The Kitchener connection. It's about time for him to go after a power forward too. Ladd draft's been awhile back now.

FlyingSquirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Not going to bother making any lists, we are picking Radek Faksa.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote