HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge V: The Empire Strikes Back

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Only concert I've ever been too was when Nas/Mobb Deep came to Providence a couple years ago.

Not big into concerts.
Yeah, I wasn't into them until more recently. Again, I much prefer seeing a band from my childhood that might not be around much longer (like AC/DC) or as I said, seeing unknown bands in a smaller bar like setting (under 300 people). Those are a lot of fun, cheaper and a much better environment for me.

Old
03-01-2012, 05:53 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post

Also bands I wish I could have seen live that are no longer together:

The Smashing Pumpkins
That reminds me, saw the new version of Smashing Pumpkins at the Orange Peel in Asheville when they did that 2-week residency a couple of years ago. Not quite the same as the original, but in such a small venue they were still pretty amazing.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That reminds me, saw the new version of Smashing Pumpkins at the Orange Peel in Asheville when they did that 2-week residency a couple of years ago. Not quite the same as the original, but in such a small venue they were still pretty amazing.
Yeah I saw them there as well. It was about 4-5 years ago I think. I remember tickets sold out for all of the shows in just minutes.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
When Corgan announced they were reforming I hoped rather desperately it'd include James Iha and either D'arcy or Melissa Auf Der Maur. Alas, no. I was tempted to get tickets but I couldn't get them in time and after the disaster that was Zwan, I was doubting whether Corgan still had it.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:36 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
Stop bringing this up already. Each day I almost regret going to take that engineering exam instead of buying tickets to go to that concert.

If only they'd come to Littlejohn Coliseum...
But no, we've had Chevelle(Who I've seen three times, about to see a fourth so I passed on those tickets) and Evanescence(no thank you) this year at Littlejohn.
Don't mean to rub it in, but it really was a great show. They played literally everything I wanted to hear, except maybe Long Road to Ruin or DOA, but even that is nitpicking.

Saw Chevelle at Speed Street a few years back in the year that basically ended Hard Rock for that event. It was a pretty good show, but I never noticed anything getting too out of hand. I know a lot on HF likes to **** on this genre, but I saw Seether/Breaking Benjamin/3 Days Grace in Gboro in March of 08. Breaking Benjamin was surprisingly good, even if they've always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

Old
03-01-2012, 07:06 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Don't mean to rub it in, but it really was a great show. They played literally everything I wanted to hear, except maybe Long Road to Ruin or DOA, but even that is nitpicking.

Saw Chevelle at Speed Street a few years back in the year that basically ended Hard Rock for that event. It was a pretty good show, but I never noticed anything getting too out of hand. I know a lot on HF likes to **** on this genre, but I saw Seether/Breaking Benjamin/3 Days Grace in Gboro in March of 08. Breaking Benjamin was surprisingly good, even if they've always been a guilty pleasure of mine.
No DOA?

I've also seen Seether once and 3 Days Grace twice (within a span of a month and a half between the 3DG/Chevelle/Adelita's Way concert at the RBC and the 2010 Rock on the Range).

What's hilarious is the fact that 3 Days Grace played the exact same setlist at both events (minus some odd drum solo thing that they did at the RBC concert). In addition, Adam Gontier even spoke the same exact lines to the audience at both events.

I remember him saying something about getting their Life Starts Now album, in which he said something to the effect of"I don't care if you buy it, steal it, or burn it from a friend, just get it." Exact same phrase both times, as though he rehearsed it before going on state.

Old
03-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a band more than three times, but I've seen Titus three times in the last year! Living in Jersey certainly doesn't hurt for that. I saw them at a high school charity show at a VFW in the middle of suburban Jersey which was just flat out bizarre, saw them open for Okkervil River in Philadelphia and saw them at a festival at South Street Seaport in NYC. All amazing performances, and I have tickets to see them twice again in the next couple of months haha.

I think their first album is extremely under appreciated ("Arms Without Atrophy" one of my favorite songs of theirs), and The Monitor is one of the best albums I've heard in years. Excited for their new one that they are working on.
Haha we're the same person. Arms Without Atrophy is my favorite song on that album, but "My Time Outside the Womb" is a close second. For me, though, while the first album is sick, it's not even CLOSE to The Monitor.

Haha yeah living in NJ probably helps a ton. Dan McGee, referred to in A Pot in which to Piss and co-singer in Theme from Cheers is from Chapel Hill, but his band Spider Bags isn't nearly as good. Very much a country-y/indie band, which is an interesting sound, but all of their songs end up sounding like Theme from Cheers, which is a great song, but apparently it's very obviously stolen from Spider Bags.

So yeah, also the lead singer for Titus has a rare disorder called something like "picky-eater" disorder. Apparently he hasn't eaten more than like 20 different foods in his entire life... The more you know, eh?

Old
03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
No DOA?

I've also seen Seether once and 3 Days Grace twice (within a span of a month and a half between the 3DG/Chevelle/Adelita's Way concert at the RBC and the 2010 Rock on the Range).

What's hilarious is the fact that 3 Days Grace played the exact same setlist at both events (minus some odd drum solo thing that they did at the RBC concert). In addition, Adam Gontier even spoke the same exact lines to the audience at both events.

I remember him saying something about getting their Life Starts Now album, in which he said something to the effect of"I don't care if you buy it, steal it, or burn it from a friend, just get it." Exact same phrase both times, as though he rehearsed it before going on state.
I like DOA but it wasn't a "must hear" song for me that night. It's funny, though: you're not the first or 2nd person to be disappointed to hear they didn't play that that night. They played the best songs off Wasting Light (first 6 + Walk) + the classics and a few covers, but not DOA. I never really considered that one of their staple songs. They played like 2:45 and Grohl is amazing and extremely entertaining in person (and personalizes what he says, unlike Grontier did fo you). Definitey worth the 45$ I paid.

I've seen Seether twice as well (Gboro and that Speed Street). They were OK. In Gboro, Adam Grontier sung the other half of Broken so that was a bit awkwardly unique. Both of those venues were fairly solid (Hurt opened in Gboro). I used to be a sucker for that type of music but I've gravitated back towards the 90s. I'd love to see Pearl Jam in concert, even if Eddie Vedder is like 45.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I like DOA but it wasn't a "must hear" song for me that night. It's funny, though: you're not the first or 2nd person to be disappointed to hear they didn't play that that night. They played the best songs off Wasting Light (first 6 + Walk) + the classics and a few covers, but not DOA. I never really considered that one of their staple songs. They played like 2:45 and Grohl is amazing and extremely entertaining in person (and personalizes what he says, unlike Grontier did fo you). Definitey worth the 45$ I paid.
I'm confused here. You mention them playing the best songs off Wasting Light, but then go on to specify 7 songs instead of the entire album.

How did Dave do on "White Limo"?

Old
03-01-2012, 08:29 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

White Limo was great. The vocals really held up live, and I was a bit apprehensive about that. Of These Days he stated it was his "favorite ****ing song that [he] ever ****ing wrote". I honestly loved every song. I didn't think there was a weak one in the deck. Wasting Light is a great album, but it does get a bit weak after "These Days". Still a great show though

Old
03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Wow....

I'll admit that I was playing NHL12 instead of watching the Canes game. Shame on me.

But I played like a monster in the 8 or so games we played just now.

I hardly ever score, but I probably had 18-20 goals over those 8 games. And a fair amount of assists.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Crap dude I forgot to friend you I've been on a serious nhl 12 kick myself.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Haha we're the same person. Arms Without Atrophy is my favorite song on that album, but "My Time Outside the Womb" is a close second. For me, though, while the first album is sick, it's not even CLOSE to The Monitor.

Haha yeah living in NJ probably helps a ton. Dan McGee, referred to in A Pot in which to Piss and co-singer in Theme from Cheers is from Chapel Hill, but his band Spider Bags isn't nearly as good. Very much a country-y/indie band, which is an interesting sound, but all of their songs end up sounding like Theme from Cheers, which is a great song, but apparently it's very obviously stolen from Spider Bags.

So yeah, also the lead singer for Titus has a rare disorder called something like "picky-eater" disorder. Apparently he hasn't eaten more than like 20 different foods in his entire life... The more you know, eh?
Haha... yeah Spider Bags are okay. Before the show at the VFW that I went to, I was outside with my roommate and some random guy from Brooklyn who had driven down while they were having a smoke, and Patrick Stickles came out to bum a cigarette. We were part of the handful of people there above the age of 18. I remember he asked which hockey team we supported because he was trying to understand the sports demographics of New Jersey. Very interesting guy. Probably the most interesting band Twitter feed out there; the feed consists mainly of him encouraging people to call him or come hang out with him in NYC, or him savagely attacking other artists then later backpedaling.

03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Lulz, Saints are gonna get hammered.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

**** the Saints

Old
03-02-2012, 06:38 PM
SCanedinavian

Best live bands I've ever seen have to be The Cat Empire and The Roots, the way both bands mix up their songs during their live sets is just amazing. Recommend The Cat Empire as perfect summer music:

Also a belated congrats on the win against Italy, good to see Dempsey keep his form up for the national team as well, hope he scores again this weekend.

Old
03-02-2012, 07:01 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
It was great to see them get their first ever win over Italy. The team has been going in the right direction of late under Klinsmann, but some of the results just weren't there yet. This is their first real breakthrough under him. Have to love how he's testing the team against as many quality sides as possible to get them ready for the World Cup.

Old
03-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCanedinavian View Post
Best live bands I've ever seen have to be The Cat Empire and The Roots, the way both bands mix up their songs during their live sets is just amazing. Recommend The Cat Empire as perfect summer music:

Also a belated congrats on the win against Italy, good to see Dempsey keep his form up for the national team as well, hope he scores again this weekend.
The Cat Empire's definitely one of my top 5 favorite bands, unfortunately haven't gotten a chance to see them live. I do have their live album though, which is ALMOST as good. No Longer There is definitely my favorite song from them, though Chariot is pretty good. You just get the feeling from listening to their music that every single last one of them is loving life WAY more than any of us, I guess that's what I like about them haha.

Old
03-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
It was great to see them get their first ever win over Italy. The team has been going in the right direction of late under Klinsmann, but some of the results just weren't there yet. This is their first real breakthrough under him. Have to love how he's testing the team against as many quality sides as possible to get them ready for the World Cup.
Not to mention that Klinsmann is adding some quality talent to our talent pool by going on a mission looking for kids of American servicemen in Germany.

Johnson, Chandler, Williams, Boyd, Morales and Hurzeler look like keepers. Johnson was solid at LB against Italy.

Old
03-03-2012, 01:28 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

On the topic of good 90's bands, a friend of mine went to see radiohead in atlanta and didn't invite me.

Old
03-03-2012, 11:58 AM
SCanedinavian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
The Cat Empire's definitely one of my top 5 favorite bands, unfortunately haven't gotten a chance to see them live. I do have their live album though, which is ALMOST as good. No Longer There is definitely my favorite song from them, though Chariot is pretty good. You just get the feeling from listening to their music that every single last one of them is loving life WAY more than any of us, I guess that's what I like about them haha.
if you ever get the chance you have to take it. Seen them live four times now and it doesnt get old. Really agree with your assessment of them, they do seem to be on a different level of enjoyment. And they seem so down to earth as well. After their set at a smaller festival in Norway Felix came down to chat with the fans and stuff. Seemed well sound.

Old
03-03-2012, 01:20 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Not to mention that Klinsmann is adding some quality talent to our talent pool by going on a mission looking for kids of American servicemen in Germany.

Johnson, Chandler, Williams, Boyd, Morales and Hurzeler look like keepers. Johnson was solid at LB against Italy.
I'm just happy with the style of soccer Klinsmann is developing for the U.S. I only watched about the final 60 minutes of the Italy game, but I was impressed. I'm not a soccer expert by any means, but it just looked like we were playing a more cohesive and thoughtful, European style of game than we used to instead of the repeatedly lobbying the ball up the field trying to hit home runs like we see so much in the MLS. Klinsmann is finally making our team play more like soccer players and less like athletes playing soccer.

Old
03-03-2012, 01:25 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Yeah, it's for the regular season title, but it seems like this game tonight is extra big. Peyton Manning (in town throwing w/ presumably Cutcliffe) and a couple other Colt teammates are going, as is Bieber.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:10 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
WVU wins, that should clinch it, we'll be dancin in March!

Old
03-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

Reposting from the Lounge. After going at it 2+ hours, this is really starting to test my patience and sanity

Closed Thread