HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Synergy EQ5 - thoughts?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
  #1
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
Easton Synergy EQ5 - thoughts?

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of these. They used to be Easton's top of the line (and had a $700 price tag to match) but I see them at SportChek for $249. I have a coupon which brings the price to about $200.

I am a recreational player and am not especially talented so I have zero need for the top of the line - I am squarely in the middle of the road in skate preference (think Bauer Vapor X 4.0, CCM U+08/10, etc.)

I actually slightly prefer the feel of the Bauer X4.0s over these EQ5s, but the difference is slight. Heel lock in the EQ5s is better but there is slight pressure in other areas, where the X4.0s feel more comfortable but seem like they could be a bit sloppier.

Anyways, this is a long way of asking: Does anyone have any experience with these EQ5 skates? I like the fit but I am interested in hearing about durability, changes in fit over time, etc. etc.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:09 PM
  #2
hyster110
Registered User
 
hyster110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of these. They used to be Easton's top of the line (and had a $700 price tag to match) but I see them at SportChek for $249. I have a coupon which brings the price to about $200.

I am a recreational player and am not especially talented so I have zero need for the top of the line - I am squarely in the middle of the road in skate preference (think Bauer Vapor X 4.0, CCM U+08/10, etc.)

I actually slightly prefer the feel of the Bauer X4.0s over these EQ5s, but the difference is slight. Heel lock in the EQ5s is better but there is slight pressure in other areas, where the X4.0s feel more comfortable but seem like they could be a bit sloppier.

Anyways, this is a long way of asking: Does anyone have any experience with these EQ5 skates? I like the fit but I am interested in hearing about durability, changes in fit over time, etc. etc.

i am pretty sure the easton top of the line skates were the EQ50s, not the EQ5s

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
  #3
hockeymass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
i am pretty sure the easton top of the line skates were the EQ50s, not the EQ5s
EQ50 is the CURRENT top end Easton Skate. EQ5s were previously $600+ skates.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:23 PM
  #4
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
EQ50 is the CURRENT top end Easton Skate. EQ5s were previously $600+ skates.
Exactly. I tried the EQ50s and they were really, really nice (they have some SERIOUS heel lock - its almost painful how the padding keeps your heel in place) but out of my price range for my skill level.

The EQ5s are a year or two old and they can be had for pretty cheap. They seem much better than anything else in that 200-300 price range, but thats why I'm turning to you guys.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
  #5
hockeymass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
If the pressure in the EQ5s is just a few specific spots, you could get those spots punched out. If you like the overall fit of the EQ5 better, there's no reason not to get them.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:37 PM
  #6
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
If the pressure in the EQ5s is just a few specific spots, you could get those spots punched out. If you like the overall fit of the EQ5 better, there's no reason not to get them.
The pressure is actually on the bottom of the boot, on the outside edge of my foot, opposite the arch. Its minor but its there. I'm not sure I can get it punched out because its an attachment point for the holder. I can try some superfeet if need be.

Anyways, I think I'm going to pick these up today - but I'm still interested in hearing anyone's experiences with this skate.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:03 PM
  #7
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
At that price, amazing value if they fit well and much better skate-wise than anything else at that regular pricepoint. Baking might fix those smaller problem spots but if not, then allow some additional break-in time before considering a punch-out. Have you tried your size in both D and EE/W width?

Also, the X:40s are on sale for the same price, have you tried those?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:25 PM
  #8
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
At that price, amazing value if they fit well and much better skate-wise than anything else at that regular pricepoint. Baking might fix those smaller problem spots but if not, then allow some additional break-in time before considering a punch-out. Have you tried your size in both D and EE/W width?

Also, the X:40s are on sale for the same price, have you tried those?
Well, I just spent 2 hours at SportChek trying on every skate in the store.

Good call on the X:40s, I really liked them. They were a touch too tight in the toes (actually the Vapors I tried were - is this a common problem in the Vapor line or do I just have weird feet?)

Ultimately I decided to go for the EQ5s. After baking they fit really well. I'm going to let them rest for a day then hit the ice tomorrow.

So far I'm feeling really good about the purchase, its not often you get this good of a skate for this price and I'm excited that they actually seem to fit really well.

I also found a buyer for the old Tacks so win-win!

As a side note, I was super impressed with SportChek on this purchase. They have a "Hockey Experts" store-within-a-store and the guys I dealt with knew their stuff and placed fit well above price as the consideration. I always hated going there for hockey stuff before.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
  #9
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Excellent to hear you received great service and that you found something that fit well. I work at one of the two Hockey Ex standalone stores and always found Sportchek to be a considerably behind us (call it what you will ). But nonetheless, great to hear. Which Sportchek was this?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  #10
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
I got em at SportChek in Nanaimo, BC. Guys there were real beauties.

Anyways, I took these out for a spin at the early this morning, only spent 15 minutes on them or so but they're pretty nice.

I am going to have to experiment with lace tightness (I like leaving the bottoms just barely snug and really tighten up the last few towards the ankle).

The problem is that these skates are really at their best when fairly tight the whole way up. Thats going to take some getting use to - my feet aren't used to it.

Its not too tight, its just not familiar so my feet get fatigued. That said, I do wish they had something in between the Ds and EEs, though the baking helped a lot.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
  #11
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,192
vCash: 500
I don't want to say you got lucky...but I think you got lucky! I've been in there NUMBEROUS times and had just craptastic service...to the point where I knew the answers to the questions I was asking, but still wanted to see what he'd say.

Now, I won't paint the whole store with the same brush, and I'm sure there are knowledgeable sales staff in there, but not those I've dealt with! I prefer Reaction Sports to Sportchek in Nanaimo...but their prices are considerably higher

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:09 PM
  #12
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris View Post
I don't want to say you got lucky...but I think you got lucky! I've been in there NUMBEROUS times and had just craptastic service...to the point where I knew the answers to the questions I was asking, but still wanted to see what he'd say.

Now, I won't paint the whole store with the same brush, and I'm sure there are knowledgeable sales staff in there, but not those I've dealt with! I prefer Reaction Sports to Sportchek in Nanaimo...but their prices are considerably higher
Yeah, I went to Reaction first and the guys in there certainly know their stuff, but my favourite skate in terms of fit (one of the high end Grafs) was WELL outside my price range.

Its tricky for places like Reaction because they have some overlap in stock with places like SportChek but in many cases the price is damn near double.

I didn't grab the name of the guy that helped me at SC, but he was younger (which, unfortunately and unfairly led me to think he'd be crappy) but he knew his stuff and wasn't afraid to let me know when he didn't know the answer to a question which is HUGE for me. I hate when people BS their way around a question.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
  #13
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker
 
superhakan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I got em at SportChek in Nanaimo, BC. Guys there were real beauties.

Anyways, I took these out for a spin at the early this morning, only spent 15 minutes on them or so but they're pretty nice.

I am going to have to experiment with lace tightness (I like leaving the bottoms just barely snug and really tighten up the last few towards the ankle).

The problem is that these skates are really at their best when fairly tight the whole way up. Thats going to take some getting use to - my feet aren't used to it.

Its not too tight, its just not familiar so my feet get fatigued. That said, I do wish they had something in between the Ds and EEs, though the baking helped a lot.
Consider adding a pair of super feet. They are pricey at 40$ but are completely worth it. They also keep your feet from flattening out in the skate, therefor the skates won't feel quite as tight. I know my work allows you to try them for up to 60 days and return them if you don't like them. If you do consider them: 1. get your skates rebaked with the super feet in them, 2. make sure someone who knows what they're doing fits you for them. Don't go by skate size, go with whichever fits best on your heel.

These have really improved the feel of my skates, and are a really great product.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
  #14
neksys
Registered User
 
neksys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Consider adding a pair of super feet. They are pricey at 40$ but are completely worth it. They also keep your feet from flattening out in the skate, therefor the skates won't feel quite as tight. I know my work allows you to try them for up to 60 days and return them if you don't like them. If you do consider them: 1. get your skates rebaked with the super feet in them, 2. make sure someone who knows what they're doing fits you for them. Don't go by skate size, go with whichever fits best on your heel.

These have really improved the feel of my skates, and are a really great product.
Yes! This is exactly what I need - my feet flatten a bit and it causes a bit of pressure (not quite pain but I imagine it could get painful) on the outside edge of my foot.

I didn't know about rebaking with them in though, nor did I know there were different fits. I guess this is why I rely on the experts - as good as my SportChek experience was, I'm gonna go see the pros at Reaction for these.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.