HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Space in between ice times

Old
03-01-2012, 02:48 PM
v3rs3

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to v3rs3
Space in between ice times

I'm a new player. Just got my gear together back in October as a 26th birthday present to myself. The last 6 weeks I've been going pretty hard at it. I started subbing for a beginner league team (E league), going to their practices, and take some classes on Saturday nights. Basically an average of 3 days on the ice a week. Last week I had a game Monday night, practice Wednesday night, stick and puck Thursday night, class and drop-in Saturday night, and went open skating with my son on Sunday afternoon. The instructor has told me I've improved vastly since I started coming to his classes back in December and a lot of guys on the ice notice as well.

I've been pretty sore almost everyday for the last month. I think this week has been the biggest gap in a bit (3 days), but I'm still a little sore from the game on Monday. We are supposed to have a practice tonight, but still unsure if I'll go or not. It's not a huge soreness, just a little sore. I push myself pretty hard on the ice to get better every time I'm out there. I just figured after a while the soreness will go away and my muscles will begin to handle it better. I just really don't want to miss the ice time. Am I crazy or just obsessed?

Anything else I can do but rest and hope my body gets better at handling it all? I've been drinking the Gatorade G1 before ice times and G3 recovery after ice times. I figure the protein can only help my muscles. Any supplements that other recommend?

v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm 30 and I play at least twice a week now and I run at least 2 other days of the week as well. All in all I am getting some kind of exercise 4 days per week. I have some general soreness every day. That is really how it has always been for me. Especially playing a physical sport like hockey.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Be sure to eat a healthy diet overall with a combination of all your essential fats, carbs, and proteins. Also, up your caloric intake if you are changing from a previous non-athletic background.

Eating right will make a world of difference in how you feel.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Devil Dancer

I'm 33 and play 2-3 times a week. I'm usually only sore for a day or two after playing, but I've been playing on a regular schedule for the past 4-5 years, with few significant breaks.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This is part of the reason pro athletes need a few months to rest and recover in between seasons, and why it's so hard for them to perform well after a long playoff run. Little insignificant bits of soreness don't really go away if you're playing 2-3 times a week.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Stickmata

Moxxor. Expensive, but worth every penny, especially for us old guys. Glucosamine is also good for joints.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
shawn1331

I was playing about 4-5 times a week when varsity was in earlier in the season plus shinny every friday at 1,nothing wrong with cutting afternoon classes to play a sport right

I am sore once in a while, but I am 16. What I do is take a nice long hot shower OR jump in the hot tub. Whatevers available to you.

IMO don't waste your money on gatorade. ***** expensive and is really just a placebo effect in my experience. Think about it, even in the NHL they have one or two out of 30 bottles gatorade, if it was really that good wouldn't every bottle be gatorade. Nothing in our lifetimes will ever replace water so drink as much of it as you can while we still have it so freely available.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Squidriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
I was playing about 4-5 times a week when varsity was in earlier in the season plus shinny every friday at 1,nothing wrong with cutting afternoon classes to play a sport right

I am sore once in a while, but I am 16. What I do is take a nice long hot shower OR jump in the hot tub. Whatevers available to you.

IMO don't waste your money on gatorade. ***** expensive and is really just a placebo effect in my experience. Think about it, even in the NHL they have one or two out of 30 bottles gatorade, if it was really that good wouldn't every bottle be gatorade. Nothing in our lifetimes will ever replace water so drink as much of it as you can while we still have it so freely available.
Also chara drinks coke! guess it floats his boat

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:56 PM
v3rs3

Quote:
I only drink water all day maybe a glass of 100% fruit juice in the morning, I cut out soda years ago. I drink over a gallon of water a day and only use water while on the ice. I only use the G1 and G3 b/c they have the supplements in them. The G3 protein drink tasts like crap, but it's basically the same thing as whey powder from what I understand. It's easy to keep in the car while on the ice and drink on the way home.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 648
I am 33 as well and play 2-3 times a week. Supplements have become my friend. I dont always have a chance to work out in between games but your body gets used to the multiple times a week after a few months. As long as the soreness from playing is not an injury, I will push myself and play as much as possible.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 04:02 AM
izzy3

Quote:

While I think you're too young to understand his problem as your recovery is about twice as fast, I think you really gave a good advice here.

I found the hot shower/bath is really helping the muscles to recover and relax, but it really need to be more than 10 minutes, which is difficult in a changing room. +1 for water.

Also whey after exercize, casein before sleep and if you have the money BCAA supplementation will help recovery.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Steelhead16

I'm not sure what all is sore but I am assuming that your legs are the worst. Fluid intake would be my first advice but you seem to have that handled with the water.

Taking some sort of anti-inflamitory will help the body overall. Heat works to relax the muscles but ice will take away the soreness. For most people ice baths aren't really something that can easily be done however. I use an ice pack on my quads before doing the heat. One thing that may work for you however is riding an exercise bike or just walking or an easy jog on a treadmill after you get home or maybe outside the rink afterwards if your drive is long. (My daughter goes to Denison so I know that weather may prevent you from doing that as well) The soreness and stiffness comes from taking the muscles from maximum intensity straight to zero or next to zero. I'm guessing that getting out of the car after the drive home is the worst that you feel? Basically try and find a way that will work for you to ease the muscles to the resting point.

If your soreness is somewhere other than your legs (like your low back) then it may be a technique issue and that can be addressed by changing how you do things.

Try ibuprofin and gentle exercise afterwards then 10 mins of ice and 10 mins of heat and see if that helps.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Low carb protein shakes (whey protein isolate) and fruits help my recovery a lot to the point the next day I can barely tell I skated the night before.

I suggest adding in a short walk on off days to get the blood flowing for active recovery or foam rolling..massages when you can afford it.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
v3rs3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
I'm not sure what all is sore but I am assuming that your legs are the worst. Fluid intake would be my first advice but you seem to have that handled with the water.
The soreness in my legs has mostly went away. A lot of it is in my shoulders and some in my thighs. I'm a pretty big dude, 6'3" 250, and I've been pretty athletic my whole life. I'm going to take the advice from everyone and see what helps the most. Thanks everyone.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Proper diet and hydration are pretty important. Make sure you have enough carbs and protein for game days. Make sure you're also drinking plenty of water on game day, and immediately after the game. I like to do pasta the night before I play, have some soft boiled eggs and toast for breakfast on game day, and eat some leftover pasta for lunch. Depending on what time I play, I will skip dinner and have a little fruit before I skate, or eat 4+ hours before the game. Then I load up after the game and eat a ton to replenish the body.

What kind of soreness are you talking about? If you are talking about soreness like after you work out, then you just need to train your muscles more. Hockey is pretty unique in that it uses a ton of muscles that you otherwise probably wouldn't use. Those muscles need to get accustomed to the strains of playing hockey. I have played pretty much my entire life, but when I take a few weeks off...it takes me probably a month of skating not to be really sore the next day when I come back from the break. It's muscle endurance more than anything. The soreness I believe is caused by micro-tears on the muscles that were worked out. Some people naturally recover and heal faster than others, and in your case, there might be nothing you can do to avoid the extended soreness.

I think the biggest thing is... don't just sit around the day after. You have to remain active. Go for walks, do a little jogging, light workout, etc. Keeping blood flowing to those muscles is important for recovery.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy3 View Post
While I think you're too young to understand his problem as your recovery is about twice as fast, I think you really gave a good advice here.

I found the hot shower/bath is really helping the muscles to recover and relax, but it really need to be more than 10 minutes, which is difficult in a changing room. +1 for water.

Also whey after exercize, casein before sleep and if you have the money BCAA supplementation will help recovery.
Yeah I know I'm young lol. But I agree more than 10 minutes, after we go snowmobiling my dad and I jump in the hottub and we stay in for like 30 minutes

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:48 PM
RoninNYR

Ice bath right after the game, and fish oil fats... does wonders.

RoninNYR is offline   Reply With Quote