HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brett Lawrie owns spring training. Like we all didn't see that one coming...

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Brett Lawrie owns spring training. Like we all didn't see that one coming...

carry on.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

1st.

All grapefruit league games will be broadcasted on the fan590 fyi. Only 1 or 2 games will be on tv if I remember correctly.

Any improvements made on the avatars Nem?

Old
03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
1st.

All grapefruit league games will be broadcasted on the fan590 fyi. Only 1 or 2 games will be on tv if I remember correctly.

Not sure if there will be "improvements" per say, as I doubt I'm going to make any significant design changes between now and the season. I haven't made a ton of progress on the set though because there aren't many pics out there right now of the guys in the new season unis (not the spring training shirts).

And I'd bank on 2-3 spring games on TV. That's seemed to be the norm the last few years.

Old
03-01-2012, 05:45 PM
NeverGoingToWin

There will only be two games on tv.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/sche...x.jsp?c_id=tor

Last edited by NeverGoingToWin: 03-01-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old
03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Vito_81

Thames or Snider opening day LF.
Who do you WANT to see take it?
Who actually takes it?

I'm going with Thames for both. I personally like him at the plate, my gut feeling tells me he's got potential to be a very good hitter for us. I think Snider will have a decent spring, but I think Thames' spring will be too good to deny.

Also, the fact I hate everything that is Travis Snider and his never-quite-there potential doesn't help his cause for winning me over anytime soon.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Who actually takes it?

I'm going with Thames for both. I personally like him at the plate, my gut feeling tells me he's got potential to be a very good hitter for us. I think Snider will have a decent spring, but I think Thames' spring will be too good to deny.

Also, the fact I hate everything that is Travis Snider and his never-quite-there potential doesn't help his cause for winning me over anytime soon.
Snider, he has the higher potential and if he wins and succeeds is a big piece moving forward. He seems to of become a forgotten stud with all the great work AA has done to revamp our system.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

I want to see Snider take the position and run with it. Hopefully 100 undisturbed at-bats to see what he can do. I think he has the edge just because of the untapped potential. Thames will wait patiently.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
weems

I'd say it'll most likely be Thames (although I think Snider will have a good ST)
The organization seems to be higher on him then Snider. They have even said Thames has the inside track and accoring to people who've been at Dunedin Thames, Rasmus and Bautista are almost always in the same group when doing batting practice/drills. I generally think Thames is underrated by many fans and prolly has alot to do with some hoping he fails so Snider can be the LF'er.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
I want to see Snider take the position and run with it. Hopefully 100 undisturbed at-bats to see what he can do. I think he has the edge just because of the untapped potential. Thames will wait patiently.
100? try 400. 100 is a month, I want to see him have enough at bats to have hot and cold streaks and see what we got with him.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Please be honest with this...

With the new additional wild card to be added, what are the chances of Jays having a shot at post-season?

I didn't have cable before, but with SNET on TV now, I'll be able to catch at least some 100 games this season (a good % IMO because its in summer).

Also, I had left Toronto mid-December, and at that point, Jays had failed on Darvish. So whom did they end up with?

And lastly, is AA better than BB for GM for respective sport?

Signed,
a-soon-to-be-Jays-fan.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
1st.

Not sure if ST games are riveting radio. I would just like to fast forward through March.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post

With the new additional wild card to be added, what are the chances of Jays having a shot at post-season?
This season they'll have an outside shot at the 2nd wild card spot. Maybe slightly better if everything goes right. It's the next few seasons after this that are going to be the really interesting ones with regards to post-season contention.

Quote:
I didn't have cable before, but with SNET on TV now, I'll be able to catch at least some 100 games this season (a good % IMO because its in summer).

Also, I had left Toronto mid-December, and at that point, Jays had failed on Darvish. So whom did they end up with?
They got a very solid closer (Sergio Santos) in trade, and shored up the bullpen a lot (brought back Jason Frasor, acquired Francisco Cordero and Darren Oliver). There weren't any big name FAs signed, but this season is going to be more about the continued development of the young talent the team has already (Lawrie, Rasmus, Arencibia, Alvarez, Drabek) and some of the more veteran guys rebounding from problems or inconsistency (Cecil, McGowan, Snider)

Quote:
Not a Leafs fan, so my view on Burke is from the outside (and his time in Vancouver) but I want to say yes, absolutely.

[/quote]Signed,
a-soon-to-be-Jays-fan.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see someone entering the fold. It's always good to have more people join us. We have cake*

*not really

Old
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
weems

Quote:

Signed,
a-soon-to-be-Jays-fan.
Trying to be completely unbiased I'd put the Jays playoff chances at about 20-25%. They have a very interesting roster in the sense that there's LOTS of talent but with many question marks and uncertainties. They have about 6-7 legitiment question marks and if say 4-5 go in there favour they really can be a very good team. Alot will most likely depend on how good the starting rotation fares and how Rasmus bounces back.

Yes I think AA is a better GM then Burke.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:

Signed,
a-soon-to-be-Jays-fan.
My honest opinion is that there is probably about a 25% chance the Jay's can make the playoffs but the potential is certainly there. The main thing going against the Jay's is they have allot of players with lots of potential who up to now have not been consistent enough to count on them to perform at a high level for an entire season. Difference between now and years past is we dont have any older players who are average at best, we are filled with great players or young players with the potential to be great. If most of the young players are able to perform and our core group (Bautista, Escobar, Romero) maintain their level of play then we indeed have a good chance to be competitive.

After we failed to land Darvish we seemed to be content to revamp our bullpen, we brought back Frasor signed Oliver and Cordero to give us 3 more relievers who have reasonable amounts of success in recent memory. The Jay's seem bent on not bringing in a veteran for 1 year and block our wealth of great arms that are coming up.

I personally think AA is the far superior GM. He has come in and put in extensive effort to build this franchise from the ground up. He brought in scouts and exec's who were former GM's and top scouts in other franchises (yes Burke did that too) but the area that he has excelled in over Burke is that he used the previous CBA to game the system and not just go for the top quality players at the amateur level but has also gone out and done it in large quantities, a Phil Kessel type deal would never occur to the Jay's at the time of the rebuild they were going for. With such a staunch effort to continually stockpile top end prospects in addition to signing our core to very team friendly deals we are setting ourselves up for a sustained long term run at success. Burke and AA both talk the big talk about building from the ground up but in terms of action AA has quietly gone about showing results (as you can see on any rankings of farm systems) Burke by contrast usually talks himself up then often fails to deliver.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I like how the jays are shaping up to be honest there is a lot to be excited about right now and for the future. The biggest thing is how we bulked up the bullpen, our biggest weakness from last season so hopefully not nearly as many blown saves this year leads to the postseason.

Wild card or not, I think this year is gonna be a big step going forward for the Jays. I just hope the fans show up in bigger numbers to support them this season. Man it would be sweet seeing the *Dome* "Rogers center" packed and rocking in the postseason again. It's really something to be a part of lucky I had a chance to be part of it back in the early 90's.

Old
03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
I'd say it'll most likely be Thames (although I think Snider will have a good ST)
The organization seems to be higher on him then Snider. They have even said Thames has the inside track and accoring to people who've been at Dunedin Thames, Rasmus and Bautista are almost always in the same group when doing batting practice/drills. I generally think Thames is underrated by many fans and prolly has alot to do with some hoping he fails so Snider can be the LF'er.
No one is hoping for Thames to fail we are hoping for Snider to succeed. He's the better of the two if he can put it together. Thames is not good defensively. Not like Snider is elite or anything but he's better

Old
03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
No one is hoping for Thames to fail we are hoping for Snider to succeed. He's the better of the two if he can put it together. Thames is not good defensively. Not like Snider is elite or anything but he's better
I'd say Snider, as he is now, is a lot better defensively than Thames. Snider lost a lot of weight last year and dramatically improved his speed and defence. He even got some starts in CF last year before Rasmus came.

Snider has more potential offensively and is a lot better defensively, but Thames has already shown a little more consistency offensively. Its really a toss up at this point, but i'd rather see Snider get the 400-500 at-bats in the Bigs as he could really add a lot to this club if he can get it together.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
mpleafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Who actually takes it?

Id love to see Travis Snider come out and do really good but idk, also side note, is the MLB expanding playoffs this year? cuz that good for jays.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:55 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpleafan View Post
Id love to see Travis Snider come out and do really good but idk, also side note, is the MLB expanding playoffs this year? cuz that good for jays.
Ya, its pretty much a done deal. Waiting for an announcement any day now.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Dingers

http://youtu.be/s983TpLdTdU

Old
03-01-2012, 09:39 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy Yu View Post

JP's a character.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
100? try 400. 100 is a month, I want to see him have enough at bats to have hot and cold streaks and see what we got with him.
Trust me I'd like to see 400 aswell, but knowing how short his leash is I only expect 100 if he struggles to gain momentum.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:04 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Just listened to Dirk Hayhurst doing a live reading on Ustream. He read one of his chapters about the Jays from his new book called "Out of my League," and the guys a riot! I read "The Bullpen Gospels" (his first book) and it was outstanding. I plan on going out and picking up "Out of my League" as well.

I encourage you guys to go out and read these books as you get a lot of insight into the world of the minors and majors and well as an inside look on the Blue Jays team and bullpen that Dirk was a part of. Some interesting/insider things I learned from just that 1 reading alone: BJ Ryan was intimidating and was the head honcho of the bullpen (everyone looked up to him), Jesse Carlsson is really superstitous (and says dude alot), and Sean Camp was encouraging to others.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:37 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
I'd say Snider, as he is now, is a lot better defensively than Thames. Snider lost a lot of weight last year and dramatically improved his speed and defence. He even got some starts in CF last year before Rasmus came.

Snider has more potential offensively and is a lot better defensively, but Thames has already shown a little more consistency offensively. Its really a toss up at this point, but i'd rather see Snider get the 400-500 at-bats in the Bigs as he could really add a lot to this club if he can get it together.
That's what I meant. Snider is already much better defensively and has better offensive upside. I hope they just let him play out a full season. Let him learn to get through the slump. He's mind ****ed now whenever he goes into a slump.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

While I like Thames as a personality and with the bat (minus the Ks), an epileptic reesus monkey could field better than he did last year.

Closed Thread